Quickdraw treks to the dragon's lair

Quickdraw

Howdy folks.  I'm Quickdraw.  This is my second challenge, and I've known since Day 1 that I am a Ranger.  I train simply, I eat very paleo, and I live a highly primal lifestyle.  Now that my noob challenge is out of the way, I'm here to join up.

My Motivation

I'm an active duty Marine, hunting for a 250+ (out of 300) Physical Fitness Test.  I already had that goal in place when I began the previous challenge (my first), but shortly after I was offered my dream job as long as I can get my fitness test above...  250.  SO.  Whether you call it Fate, fortune, luck, God/s, the universe being itself, my path is set.

MAIN QUEST

As above; 250+ PFT.  I'll be performing the test in mid April, just after this challenge ends. The 3 events are: (up to) 100 crunches in 2 minutes, (up to) 20 pullups in a single max set, and a 3 mile run as fast as possible (18:00-29:00, since I'm old).  I used to get 20 pullups/100 crunches/SLOW run, but right now I'm coming back from a long time on the couch.  I'm framing my whole thing as doing battle with a horde of monsters (sloth, selling myself short, etc), so my daily achievement thresholds are in terms of damage done as if I were a character in an RPG.  My subquests/battles:

PULLUPS (+STR)

I am using the Armstrong Program (link goes to a simple write-up if anyone wants to try it for themselves!) to attempt to go from my current 12 pullups to 20+.  The program calls for M-F pullups with weekends off.  Success criteria:

MISS (0): Failing to perform at least the daily Armstrong Program workout on a weekday.

BLOCK (0): Weekend.

HIT (1): Performing the day's Armstrong Program workout.

POWER ATTACK (1.5): Performing the day's workout, plus a second round of the day's workout OR a weighted negative set.

CRITICAL HIT (2): Double workouts AND a weighted negative set.

Notes: Weekends off are mandatory.  An "A" week requires at least 7 damage done; letter reduction per point less or weekday skipped.

CORE (+STR)

I have been doing 5+ minutes/day of planks to build core endurance.  I am already at max (100) crunches with >20 seconds to spare, but would prefer to actually complete 120+ in the test's 2:00.

MISS (0): No core work, no excuse.

BLOCK (0): Sunday, or other day if I then make it up on Sunday.  My one "shield" to use as I see fit.

HIT (1): 5 minutes of planks.

POWER ATTACK (1.5): 10 minutes of planks, or 5 minutes planks +50 crunches/leg lifts/other core exercise.

CRITICAL HIT (2): 10 minutes of planks, +50 reps of some core exercise.

Notes: Sunday is the only mandatory recovery day.  "A" week requires 8 damage.

RUN (+STA)

This past year, I ran the 3 miles in 25:30.  Lame, by Marine standards.  Just last week, I set a (trial run) PR of 22:40.  My goal is to see that time under 22:00.

MISS (0): No run, no excuse.

BLOCK (0): I have 4 BLOCKs per week, as I am trying for a 3x/week run schedule.

HIT (1): At least a 2 mile or 20 minute jog.

POWER ATTACK (1.5): 3 miles, 30 minutes, or moderate speed work.

CRITICAL HIT (2): 4 miles, 40 minutes, heavy speed work, or 4th/5th run for the week.

Notes: No specific recovery day is mandatory.  "A" week requires 5 damage.

LIFE QUEST

I'm busy.  Like, stupid, stupid busy.  I'm responsible for a large group of subordinates, and I have my own full-time classes and responsibilities besides.  I would like to build a mindfulness/meditation habit that I can then share with my juniors.  I'm pretty well read on the concept, but I have not taken the time to actually implement it.

Life is not going to provide me a "good" moment; I need to seize it for myself.  But as I try to be more zen (I know, not usually something you associate with a leader of Marines), I recognize that setting elaborate structures on such a process is inherently counterproductive.  So I'll leave this goal as follows:

I will be more mindful. (+WIS)

Implementation: I will meditate for at least one stretch of 2 minutes per day.

-------

I look forward to sharing this journey with you all.

Edit: Summaries for my personal quests, the Ranger Guild miniquests, and the RPG Fanatics miniquests.  RL craziness being what it is, I may subjectively adjust point-value scores later on when I have enough time to figure out what's going on.  Won't be adding my point values to my sig until the challenge is over, though.

QUEST/SELF    Zero Week

QUEST/CLASS  W1

QUEST/PARTY  W1 (+1 CHA)

• Like 3
"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Sounds awesome!  Are you worried at all about hurting yourself with doing extra sets? (on the pull-ups). Do you have to do your run in combat boots?!

Good question, thanks!  If I was coming from an untrained state, yes, I'd be worried about overloading myself.  But I was already doing 12 good-form, dead-hang pullups.  I'm listening to my body and only pushing as hard as it can handle...  But absolutely every bit as hard as that, though.  I'm already up 2 pullups since I started working this program two weeks ago.

For the PFT, no, we run the 3 miles in our own running shoes/shorts/tshirts.  The fall/winter Combat Fitness Test involves a boots run of 880 meters (two laps on a track), but that's not too big a distance (and I won't be TRAINING in boots).

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

But as I try to be more zen (I know, not usually something you associate with a leader of Marines)

I smirked.

• Like 3

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Good question, thanks!  If I was coming from an untrained state, yes, I'd be worried about overloading myself.  But I was already doing 12 good-form, dead-hang pullups.  I'm listening to my body and only pushing as hard as it can handle...  But absolutely every bit as hard as that, though.  I'm already up 2 pullups since I started working this program two weeks ago.

For the PFT, no, we run the 3 miles in our own running shoes/shorts/tshirts.  The fall/winter Combat Fitness Test involves a boots run of 880 meters (two laps on a track), but that's not too big a distance (and I won't be TRAINING in boots).

I admire and respect all of it and like hearing about the training you do :-)

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I like how you're using damage instead of boring ol grades. :) How much damage are you looking to do?

Good luck with the meditation goal! That's been on my to-do list for the longest time. :encouragement:

• Like 1

Raevn

Level 2 Wood Elf Assassin

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

Welcome to the Rangers! Those are some impressive PFT numbers, especially for being "old"! Good luck pushing them even higher!!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Wow!!  Welcome to the Rangers and good luck with the test.  The dream job is definitely a powerful motivator.

Love the damage calculation for the goals.  More D&D-like .... hum .....

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

I like how you're using damage instead of boring ol grades. :) How much damage are you looking to do?

Good luck with the meditation goal! That's been on my to-do list for the longest time. :encouragement:

Thanks! I've been plotting this "damage" system out since week 4 of the last challenge.  Hitting the "A" score for each goal, every week, adds up to 120 damage.

You should join me for the meditation!  I know you're doings 12s, but there's gotta be 2 minutes somewhere.  A quote that's driving me: "I have so much to do today that I must meditate for two hours instead of one." - Ghandi

Welcome to the Rangers! Those are some impressive PFT numbers, especially for being "old"! Good luck pushing them even higher!!

Thanks! With a baited hook of "the assignment I've been chasing for years," the motivation is high. :D

• Like 1

There are several of us Rangers that are going demon hunting. I like the layout of your goals. You have this Quickdraw. 

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Glad to have the company for this thing, guys.

Zero Week: I'm not really scoring Zero Week as such, but I'll do a summary.  I usually post daily or two-day battle updates, with a weekend wrapup since my weekends my recovery days.

• I ran three times: two strong intense workouts, and one 3-miles-for-pace (was on track for a new PR ~15 seconds faster than last week) that turned into 1.5-miles-and-stop-something-happened.
  • Pullups were amazing: I made a 20lb sandbag a few months back, and I'm doing my weighted negative set with the bag on.  Noticing serious gains in pushing through the weak spot in my range of motion.  Critical hits W-F.
  • Core was similar: I'm glad I tweaked the goal to +50 exercises after I hit 10 minutes of planking; more planking past that is a little boring.  I did a trial round of max-effort-crunches and hit max score (100 crunches) in 1:30, with 0:30 to spare.  Next target: actually DO 120 in 2:00.
  • Didn't meditate a BIT: THIS one is gonna get me out of my comfort zone.  A lot.  I've worked very hard to carve out the 2-10 minutes most of my other exercise takes, but somehow the idea of sitting still doesn't fit into that same schema in my head.
  • Continued not smoking: I've been 24 days without a cigarette.  Just not worth it, even sporadically for the social benefit.  I have decided that I am no longer a "recovered" smoker, I'm no longer a "sporadic" smoker: I have no positive specific relationship whatsoever with the substance, the behavior, or the folks who do it.
  • Did a week of strict paleo with two days of intermittent fasting: Thursday skipped breakfast, Friday didn't eat until dinner.  No ill effects, no particular hunger, and for the week as a whole I'm down over 2 pounds to a flat 159.  "Strict Paleo Week + 2xIF" is now a regular thing in my calendar every third week, and I might make it every second week depending how I'm feeling.  Though I usually won't do the IF days together; that was dictated by other factors.

I'm on some serious momentum to take into this challenge.

Quickdraw nocks an arrow. "Let's do this thing."

• Like 1

Nice not to lose your momentum. I totally did this week. I should have just keep posting my daily recaps. I found accountability here which really worked for me.

Your discipline is amazing and you are quite the role model to me and I am sure to all your Jrs. Next week will be an ULTRAWIN for me dedicated to you.

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Nice not to lose your momentum. I totally did this week. I should have just keep posting my daily recaps. I found accountability here which really worked for me.

Your discipline is amazing and you are quite the role model to me and I am sure to all your Jrs. Next week will be an ULTRAWIN for me dedicated to you.

Thanks Sarah!  I tell ya, I felt the wind going out of my sails the moment there wasn't a daily battle report due here.  Monday and Tuesday kinda sucked, all around, even though there were some other reasons and I did get SOME exercise done.

I look forward to reading of your ULTRAWIN!

• Continued not smoking: I've been 24 days without a cigarette.  Just not worth it, even sporadically for the social benefit.  I have decided that I am no longer a "recovered" smoker, I'm no longer a "sporadic" smoker: I have no positive specific relationship whatsoever with the substance, the behavior, or the folks who do it.

That's awesome, keep it up.

• Like 2

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Great job with the down week, you're going to do awesome this challenge :)

• Didn't meditate a BIT: THIS one is gonna get me out of my comfort zone.  A lot.  I've worked very hard to carve out the 2-10 minutes most of my other exercise takes, but somehow the idea of sitting still doesn't fit into that same schema in my head.

And that's exactly why meditation has been stuck on my to-do list for so long :P

• Like 1

Raevn

Level 2 Wood Elf Assassin

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

Your scoring system is fantastic. Even if your actual challenge goals weren't interesting (and they are--I'm definitely going to be following your progress) I would check in just for the scoring system alone. Getting a critical hit is just more viscerally satisfying than earning an A. Oh, and congrats on the not smoking! That's a huge victory and should help with your fitness as a bonus.

I wanted to put in a good word for meditation. It's not something I do personally (though I probably should) but I have seen it work wonders for my mother. She was really shaken up by a death in the family a few years back and struggled with anxiety. Therapy and drugs failed to do much of substance, but spending a half hour every morning in meditation and journalling every evening has turned her into a much calmer, more confident, and happier woman. If you can find a few minutes a day for it, I am sure it'll pay dividends.

• Like 1

Level 2 Dwarf Assassin | STR 3 DEX 2 STA 2 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2

Current Challenge: Climb More, Eat Better, Make Music

My Battle Log: Lift Climb Run Farm

You feel like taking a stroll around town to get some fresh air and get rid of the queasy feeling that's in the pit of your stomach. There has been talk of small green monsters scampering around at night. Townsfolk are required to keep to themselves and stay in their homes at night. The issue is 'under investigation.'

Yeah, okay.  Last night you overheard a drunk man babbling about 'Surdermuz coming back.'  Whatever that means.

While on your stroll you see a man with a scraggly beard and nearly shoulder-length frizzed hair spouting like a madman.  He's yelling at the local salesmen and you're intrigued.

The man yells, "EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE EVIL ONE- SODAMUS HAS RETURNED!  HALF THE CALORIES?  0 GRAMS OF TRANS FAT?  THOSE ARE SALES PITCHES BUT ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS LOOK AT THE PRODUCT ITSELF TO SEE IT'S A LIE!  IF ANY OF YOU ARE BRAVE ENOUGH TO GET TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM HERE, I WILL BE AT THE ADVENTURER'S TAVERN AT 5 P.M. TONIGHT!"

That was all the man said before the guards grabbed him by the arms and threw him to the ground.

"THEY'RE SODAMUS' MINIONS!  THOSE GREEN RAT-BASTARDS THAT ARE SNAKING AROUND AT NIGHT!"

"Pipe down or you'll get the ax," yelled a guard.  "Off with ya. It's too early to be hitting the pub with your drunken ravings."

"THE TAVERN! TONIGHT! I HAVE PROOF!" the man yelled as he fled.

The man wasn't staggering around or slurring his words. He didn't seem drunk, just really panicked. Maybe you should check out the tavern later...

Tavern= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/44448-rpg-fanatics-guild-battle-of-demon-king-sodamus/

more TONIGHT

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.  I'm ready to hit the ground running tomorrow...  Literally!

(Noticing that I apparently BADLY misunderstood the way stat points work on challenges after the first one!  I'll be adjusting my potential stat points in the OP sometime over the next day or three.)

• Like 1

Hey there. Great challenge. When do you take the PFT? Look forward to slaying the demon with you.

I've been following your Doomed Pilgrim thread as well, very cool idea :).

*Nodding to Quickdraw, he offers him his hand.*

"Well met, fellow ranger."

• Like 1

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

I think I might have to do the PFT just to see where I stack up.  I know I won't be near you on the pull-ups or the crunches.  I absolutely loathe running in snow, so I might have to test at the end of this challenge if the snow clears.  

Good luck with this challenge!  Sounds like you have a good start on it already.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines