Rightio then, Challenge number 2. My first with the Awesome Rangers.

I am changing things somewhat here, partly to release my geekiness more, partly to express my faith more, and mainly to increase my health. 

Firstly a couple of definitions are in order, oferfaett is Old English for obese, [literally, over fat]. Medically I am obese pure and simple. It was a practice in Anglo-Saxon Britain to give nicknames to people based on physical features. Surnames were rarely used during this time period [they were brought in by the Normans]. So I have named myself Anglian style. Next we have Ulfhednar, this is Old Norse for Wolf headed, basically the wolf version of a beserker. Using the wolf as a totem instead of the Bear. The Old English Wulfesheafod is not as badass in my opinion so I chose the Old Norse. It is close enough to my race type to work for me. Lycans, werewolf [werwulf in OE] may well have been inspired by these real life warriors. 

With NF I am changing from Thom the fat to Thom the Lycan. 

My first challenged focussed primarily on creating routines and getting moving, I had some great wins [4cm of my waist, and 66 bodyweight squats] I also had some hard times, depression does that. Still I didn't quit, and I am here now planning this challenge. Oh and I walked 240 miles in 6 weeks to get to Weathertop and held my own against a Nazgul. 

My long term goal is still to drop to 17% body fat. I have lost 2.36% since I joined in at the end of November last year. From 36.44% on the 01/12/13 to 34.08% on the 04/02/14. I use the tape measure method for this, It may not be entirely accurate but it is relative. I do my main measurements on the first weekend of each month, so we will find out how I am progressing in a couple of weeks. By my calculations I will drop from 118.7kg to around 90-95kg. As I only lost a grand total of 800grams for the entire last challenge I am not as worried about the weight loss if I am losing body fat. 

Goal One for this challenge is to track my calorie intake. Or kilojoules as I am working in metric. After much mucking about with various calculators I have worked out my BMR to be on average 9500kj [2285Cal] and my TDEE to be on average 13511kj [3277Cal]. Now to me that seems a hel of a lot of calories. Over the past two weeks I have started tracking my intake on MyfitnessPal with the target of 10,000kj [2388Cal]. I am struggling to eat that many calories. I am generally coming in well under. With the few exceptions of when I eat crap. 

So I will continue to track my food intake learn about my Macros, and limit/eliminate my gluten based carbs. As this is more a track and learn goal I will put +2 towards wisdom and +2 to my constitution for the successful completion of this goal.

Goal Two is to continue my 3 days per week workouts. In my first challenge I used the BBWW to set up my routine. It has been a great help, and has increased my fitness. I am looking at adding a bit more variety to my routines so have decided to change it to the following:

Mondays: Hammer workout, using a 10lb, 4.53kg sledge hammer. Monday I worked out a routine for this. Yep this really hit me. 

Wednesdays: Kettlebell workout, using a 5kg kettlebell and the Simple and Sinister routine. After trying this today [Wed 19/02] I suspect much of this will be learning to perfect the exercises, particularly the Get Up. 

Fridays: I will continue doing the BBWW. It is a good routine and I enjoy it. I will look at progressing to harder exercises as I go along with this. 

This is still a strength goal, although the hammer work adds a bit of dexterity as well, So +3 to Strength, +2 to Stamina and +1 to Dexterity.

Goal Three is going to focus upon my spirituality. I have let my personal devotionals slip over the past year or so. I need to get things back into gear. I aim to do a weekly devotional to my Gods, Ancestors and Landwights. This is a inner peace and power goal so +1 to Wisdom, and a +1 to Charisma. 

My Side Quest is to study and do well at my Uni subject that I have enrolled in. The course starts in the beginning of March so until then I will share my artistic endeavours in the form of products that I sell. These are knowledge and creativity goals, so I will be giving +2 to wisdom and +1 to Charisma. 

• Like 9

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Great goals. Love the old English lesson too. I am geeky like that. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I cut out gluten last challenge and I am using MFP to track calories to see what works for me. I also have upped my exercise for this challenge. As my mother has always said the way to weight loss " shut your mouth and move your ass"

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

17022014 End Of 1st challenge

17022014 workout gear

Pictures of me at the end of my 1st Official Challenge. 

Stats as of 04/02/2014

Weight: 119.2kg

Body Fat%: 34.08

Body Fat Weight: 40.56kg

Lean Body Weight: 78.44kg

Neck: 44cm

Chest: 126cm

Waist: 120cm

Hips: 118cm

Thigh: 60cm

Bicep: 36cm

This challenge will see two measurement days. I measure on the first weekend of every month, so both March and April will be recorded here.
  • Like 1

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Thanks guys. With you as part of my support crew I can achieve this.

Woden uses ravens for messages, I use a Samsung S4.

Feeling embarassed now Seven.

Still struggle with gorgeous women telling me I look great. Thankyou.

I plan to Silver.

W00t!!  This will be another great challenge! 

I too am aiming to change body composition - I'm going to look up the routines you are using.  I know I have a kettle bell and a sledge here somewhere ....

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Chris-Tien talk to Terosx about the hammer exercises, He shared several with me. A couple I found online for using a mace as an exercise tool. some I made up myself. The kettlebell routine came straight from Pavel's book Simple and Sinister. I have never used a kettlebell before and this is a straight forward routine, Great to see how you are progressing on the Burpees by the way.

I might have to put a compilation of youtube videos together and share. 

Ok I am going to nick three points from my other challenges and put them towards the RPG Fanatics Battle of Demon King Sodamus. I will give myself the points at the end of the challenge. They will go to the three attributes that I feel were most challenged in the campaign.

Goal One:  Tracking Calories now +2Wis and +1Con

Goal Two: Workout 3x a week now +2Str, +2Sta and +1Dex

Goal Three: Weekly devotionals now +1Wis

Side Quest: Study and art +1Wis and +1Cha

Sodamus Campaign: +3 points to be awarded to attributes most challenged in campaign. 

Ranger Mini Challenges: Points as awarded.

Naturally I will opt out of the last two if they interfere with my main goals. Here is hoping that they don't.

• Like 1

Double post

Triple post. damn technology.

Welcome aboard Mangostrike.

• Like 1

Great goals!! I liked the variety of workouts!

But... what is TDEE?? 

Total Daily Energy Expenditure

• Like 2

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Eallwondor! Sounds like a great challenge!

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Mondays: Hammer workout, using a 10lb, 4.53kg sledge hammer. Monday I worked out a routine for this. Yep this really hit me. 

Wednesdays: Kettlebell workout, using a 5kg kettlebell and the Simple and Sinister routine. After trying this today [Wed 19/02] I suspect much of this will be learning to perfect the exercises, particularly the Get Up. 

Goal Three is going to focus upon my spirituality. I have let my personal devotionals slip over the past year or so. I need to get things back into gear. I aim to do a weekly devotional to my Gods, Ancestors and Landwights. This is a inner peace and power goal so +1 to Wisdom, and a +1 to Charisma.

I'm so glad I inspired the warhammer wielder inside you :)  What is the overall hammer workout that you're doing?

Using the 20 pound hammer I have, I do 30 reps for each side of : Gravedigger/Shoveling. And I do 30x2 for the butter churn.  Then I mix it up and do a bunch of other things if I feel like:

Barbarian Stab

Killswitch

Chop Wood

Tic-Tocs

Seating Rowing

etc.

What are you doing for the kettelbell? The homemade ones I have I tend to do side raises and the classic swing. I also do seated russian twists and I use them as a barbell for bent-over rows like this (only I lean on my tractor tire)

I've been nervous to try the turkish getup, as there's so many parts to it. I just feel like I'm going to drop it on my face or something.

How exactly do you go about doing a weekly devotion to the Elders?  For what I remember, there were basically virtues that were focused on like self-reliance and strength, with each 1 having a representation.  Is there a specific thing that you're doing?

Hammers, Kettlebells, Nordic text, and Lycans?

You, sir, are badass!

Subbing!

Don't forget tires:  (Jack0lantern and the cement block next to it are my homemade kettelbells)

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Great goals, Thom! And I had never seen hammer exercises before! Now I need a hammer and a tire!

I'm going to look up the routines you are using.  I know I have a kettle bell and a sledge here somewhere ....

You have no idea what you're missing my friends.  I've been doing sledgehammer workouts for 9+ months now and it's the most fun workout I've ever done. I've actually STUCK WITH IT.  You don't need a tire unless you want to beat the hell out of it. There's tons that you can do without a tire.  Keep in mind that the weight it on the very end of the stick, so it helps a lot of with grip strength and forearm strength.  Also, because it's a lopsided weight, it takes a lot more effort to do certain exercises.  It's the same principle as the kettelbell. With kettelbells, the center of gravity is dropped a little away from the handle.  Sledgehammers have that same mentality, only it's obviously more of a drastic lower center of gravity.

If you want information on sledgehammers and exercises, feel free to ask away CK and Chris-Tien Jinn :)

• Like 2

How exactly do you go about doing a weekly devotion to the Elders?  For what I remember, there were basically virtues that were focused on like self-reliance and strength, with each 1 having a representation.  Is there a specific thing that you're doing?

I am also intensely curious about this. I know far less about actual Norse practice than I'd like.

• Like 2

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

You feel like taking a stroll around town to get some fresh air and get rid of the queasy feeling that's in the pit of your stomach. There has been talk of small green monsters scampering around at night. Townsfolk are required to keep to themselves and stay in their homes at night. The issue is 'under investigation.'

Yeah, okay.  Last night you overheard a drunk man babbling about 'Surdermuz coming back.'  Whatever that means.

While on your stroll you see a man with a scraggly beard and nearly shoulder-length frizzed hair spouting like a madman.  He's yelling at the local salesmen and you're intrigued.

The man yells, "EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE EVIL ONE- SODAMUS HAS RETURNED!  HALF THE CALORIES?  0 GRAMS OF TRANS FAT?  THOSE ARE SALES PITCHES BUT ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS LOOK AT THE PRODUCT ITSELF TO SEE IT'S A LIE!  IF ANY OF YOU ARE BRAVE ENOUGH TO GET TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM HERE, I WILL BE AT THE ADVENTURER'S TAVERN AT 5 P.M. TONIGHT!"

That was all the man said before the guards grabbed him by the arms and threw him to the ground.

"THEY'RE SODAMUS' MINIONS!  THOSE GREEN RAT-BASTARDS THAT ARE SNAKING AROUND AT NIGHT!"

"Pipe down or you'll get the ax," yelled a guard.  "Off with ya. It's too early to be hitting the pub with your drunken ravings."

"THE TAVERN! TONIGHT! I HAVE PROOF!" the man yelled as he fled.

The man wasn't staggering around or slurring his words. He didn't seem drunk, just really panicked. Maybe you should check out the tavern later...

more TONIGHT

• Like 2

Ok it would seem like a brief religious instruction is needed here to help explain goal 3.

My faith, generically called Heathenry, is at its most basic the Worship [from Old English Weorthscip - to give worth] the Gods collectively known as the Aesir and Vanir. Most of you may know these as the Viking Gods. These Gods have been known to have been worshipped since the Bronze Age. They are linguistically and culturally linked to the Hindu Gods. Both Heathenry and Hinduism being off shoots of the Proto-Indo-Europeans, a culture dating back 10,000 years approxiamately. From the end of the Roman Empire in the 400's to the 1200's the North European Tribal peoples were converted to Christianity. Sometimes forcibly, sometimes voluntary and sometimes for political reasons. So saying the Baltic Slavs, another group in the Indo-European family, were not converted to Christianity until the 18th Century. Iceland converted for political reasons in the year 1000. However in the late 19th Century a Heathen ritual was held in Rekjavik Cathedral. The rebirth of the tribal beliefs of the North had begun. Sorry for the history lesson, but some context is needed. 

So what we as Heathens seek to do is reconstruct, and adapt, the tribal beliefs of our North European Ancestors. We use the Icelandic Sagas, Scandanavian Eddas, writings of contempory historians [bede, Tacitus et al.], Archaeology, History, Linguistics, Comparative Religion, and our own intuitions and practices. Teros you are correct in a list of virtues. I believe the first such list was created in the 1970's by the Asatru Free Assembly. Known as the Nine Noble Virtues they renerally form the basis of modern Heathen Ethics. They generally consist of Courage, Truth, Loyalty, Honour, Discipline, Self Reliance, Hospitality, Industry and Perseverance. The level of importance attached to these virtues varies from individual to individual. 

For my weekly devotional goal I am looking at making an offering of incense, lighting a candle, pouring out a libation, or meditation upon the Gods, my Ancestors, or the local Land Spirits. I may do some runic meditations. The specific of my devotional will no doubt vary from week to week. 

Hopefully this will have helped you understand a little more about my beliefs and what I intend for my devotional goal. If you do want to learn more, you can email me. or google Asatru, Heathenry, Runes, Theodism, just remember as always the internet is full of crap. But you are nerds and already know that.  :playful:

• Like 4

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines