Ravnos' Remotivation Challenge

ravnos

Be careful. I am now officially addicted. I even bought the season 2 episodes 1-7 ( thank you hulu for deleting before Netflix adds)

At least you paid for it.

>.>

<.<

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

also...on the subject of dreamy coulson....here you go hahahaahha

agent_coulson____by_amelie_ami_chan-d5xo

• Like 3

Level 5 Tiefling Ranger/Assassin Hybrid

|STR:15 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:6 | WIS:6 | CHA:4 |

My Current Challenge

Challenges: First | Second |Third | Fourth | Fifth |  Sixth

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

I've always wanted to go back to school and get my doctorate in Philosophy and teach... or write. But the former is... difficult to achieve and the latter is basically dumb luck. I think going into fitness would be a good stable thing that I'd enjoy for a really long time... and give my the foundation/time to work on the other two. We'll see. I have some looking into it to do. Basically just bookmarked a bunch of certification programs today. I'll look into them all and look into what some of the fitness people I respect have done.

It's definitely more employable.  Really tough to find a position teaching philosophy, although I am always a fan of learning for its own sake.

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

So I've done some preliminary research. If I want to get certified and become a fitness coach/personal trainer I think the best thing to do is get PT certified, nutrition certified and functional movement certified. Based on my own preferences in fitness and how I think most people can be helped the best, getting all three would be critical to launching off a career in this area. For anyone interested in knowing where I'm looking:

http://www.issaonline.edu/certification/personal-trainer-certification/

http://www.functionalmovement.com/

http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/ or http://www.precisionnutrition.com/

ISSA also offers a fitness nutrition cert., but I don't know how it compares to the other two, which I've noticed more of the people who I respect and learn from regularly have.

Cost:

The PT certification runs about $599 ($499 on sale currently).

Functional Movement runs $379 for the home study.

ISSN runs about $499 + membership at $179, Precision Nutrition doesn't list a price that I can find until you sign up.

So we're talking roughly $1500 to get certified.

Bleh.

While I don't consider that to be expensive at all, I just don't have it right now. And all our extra money has been going into savings toward the wedding. So I need to decide if I really, really want to do this, and discuss it with the other half. Then make a decision.

On the same note, we had a serious conversation about switching gyms, and I think I finally convinced her it's the right thing to do.

Currently, we're going to a local gym that used to be a Planet Fitness. They dropped the franchise, but it's still run the same way for better or worse. We only pay $20 bucks a month for her membership, and I go for free as her "guest." Great on the wallet. But - they only have one squat rack, there are no dumbbells over 60lb (27.2kg) and shitty equipment in general. Additionally, they promised kettlebells were going to be added in January - still no kettlebells. So I'm getting more and more frustrated with the gym because A: I want to do more and don't have the access to the equipment to do them, and B: It's just poorly run.

Furthermore, my fiancee has a physical disability that keeps her from tearing through workouts like I do, so she doesn't get the progress or results that I do, which is very frustrating for her. While I've done a lot of research to help her sidestep these issues, she continues to be frustrated to the point that going to the gym and working out is more a chore than enjoyable (like it is for me). I'm at the point where I don't know how to help her beyond the point we're currently at, so I've been talking to her about working with a personal trainer with a background in where her issues lie. We also talked about doing the Nerd Fitness Academy, but - and no offense to Steve, Staci or anyone else, I don't think they have the background to help her either (plus I've emailed them to ask questions and haven't gotten any responses yet, which is frustrating). Either way, working face to face with someone will be better for her.

The end result is that I've basically talked her into switching gyms, going to a bigger, better one that is more focused on the types of fitness we're both into. Woo!

End point - we probably won't be switching during this challenge, or even during the next one, but by summer I should, hopefully, be going to a gym that has a focus on strongman training, includes boxing training and equipment, kettlebells and a whole hell of a lot more. I am excite!

• Like 6

Level 5 Viking Berserker

If over 60lb dbells, and no kettelbells are there, what do you feel you're missing? What do you want to try and add to your current routine?

I'd like to be using heavier DBs for my farmer's walk. My FW does nothing for grip strength and it's supposed to. I have to stop due to shoulder fatigue before I start to feel it in my hands and wrists.

I'd like to be doing kettlebell swings, get-ups and some other stuff.

I also want to add a few other things to my routine that I could at the new gym - mainly heavy bag work and sled pushing, stone loading - strongman stuff.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Expansion on last post:

Basically this is my current routine

Bodyweight warmup

Stronglifts routine (squat, bench, OHP, DL and row, depending on what day it is)

Finishers

Planks

Farmer's Walk

Yoga

a bit of walking to loosen up the legs

The Finishers I do are calf raises and dips on my squat/bench/row day and pull ups and barbell curls on my squat/ohp/dl day. I'd like to do kettlebell swings both days, do sled pushing instead of the calf raises on day A and turkish get-ups instead of curls on day B.

I'd also like to be doing a conditioning day on the weekends, all strongman stuff and heavy bag work.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Well I know that my farmer's walk bags work. It's suuuuuuper easy man.

I have no idea how/where I could do those sled pushes.  Those looks like a lot of fun.  Those are the things that football players use for tackling practice, right?

For stone-loading, are you talking about those huge atlas stones?

I have no idea how/where I could do those sled pushes.  Those looks like a lot of fun.  Those are the things that football players use for tackling practice, right?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=390&pid=5420

OS-PE.jpg

For stone-loading, are you talking about those huge atlas stones?

Yup!

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Yup, that's exactly what I was thinking of.  Yeah, they look like tons of fun to just run around with. 

I was told by mo mom that when I got a tricycle, I didn't sit in it and ride it; I would push it and run around like a madman. 

HAHA that's awesome. I used to push the giant chunks of ice that fell off the roof of our house around in the winter "for fun."

• Like 1

Level 5 Viking Berserker

As far as your GF is concerned I think having her work with a trainer would work miracles. Just need to make sure it is someone who understands her limitations but will still challenge her. Sounds like the new gym will fit. From experience I HATE getting the advice on working out from my hubby. A total stranger can say the exact same thing and I will listen. When our significant others say it we hear "this is what you are doing wrong". When someone else says it we hear " hey try this"

Adding in that my hubby gives his opinion in the best possible way and is very supportive and nice. The stranger could even be critical and I would still listen to the stranger. Especially until I get more confident in something and I am not at the beginner level. Once I have a good base then talking with him and kicking around ideas are much more comfortable. So once your GF gets more comfortable then sharing ideas with you will be easier.

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 3

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

A total stranger can say the exact same thing and I will listen. When our significant others say it we hear "this is what you are doing wrong". When someone else says it we hear " hey try this"

sounds like my g/f and the therapist... From me: I'm being an asshole. From her: She's a total genius. *facepalm*

• Like 2

I think it stems from us wanting to be the strongest most knowledgable person around our SO that we can. I don't think my hubby is an asshole. At least not all the time. Darwinian at its best. Pick the best mate? Women hear things men do not say. Men hear Charlie Brown's teacher and only part of what women say.

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Furthermore, my fiancee has a physical disability that keeps her from tearing through workouts like I do, so she doesn't get the progress or results that I do, which is very frustrating for her. While I've done a lot of research to help her sidestep these issues, she continues to be frustrated to the point that going to the gym and working out is more a chore than enjoyable (like it is for me). I'm at the point where I don't know how to help her beyond the point we're currently at, so I've been talking to her about working with a personal trainer with a background in where her issues lie. We also talked about doing the Nerd Fitness Academy, but - and no offense to Steve, Staci or anyone else, I don't think they have the background to help her either (plus I've emailed them to ask questions and haven't gotten any responses yet, which is frustrating). Either way, working face to face with someone will be better for her.

The end result is that I've basically talked her into switching gyms, going to a bigger, better one that is more focused on the types of fitness we're both into. Woo!

End point - we probably won't be switching during this challenge, or even during the next one, but by summer I should, hopefully, be going to a gym that has a focus on strongman training, includes boxing training and equipment, kettlebells and a whole hell of a lot more. I am excite!

I am certain that Steve and Staci WANT to be able to help...but, as another with disabilities that cause me to not be able to do things in the standard fashion...I am putting off the academy at this time.

I have talked with Staci - and Steve - but it was in the midst of much noise at the Texas meet up...I'm hoping to discuss these issues further.

I am also concerned about the balance for weight loss people - we need to know that while we are trading fat for muscle...things don't work the same as if we did some sort of drop the weight in whatever fashion mentality.

As a disabled person - thank you for keeping your fiance's abilities in mind.  It has been frustrating to me to watch WildRoss get stronger, and I can't do what he can do.  But, on the other hand, he still can't do what I once COULD do - we need to celebrate our differences!

Good going!

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

HAHA that's awesome. I used to push the giant chunks of ice that fell off the roof of our house around in the winter "for fun."

Doesn't everyone?

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Week 1 Update

Week 1 is over (for me, you weird people and your Monday start dates), so it's time for an update. Let's get right to it.

Quest 1: Strength

3/3 workouts this week. I deloaded my squat weight on Monday, so I'm still at 130, but here are my weight breakdowns at the EoW.

• Squat: 130 lb
  • Bench: 110 lb
  • OHP: 85 lb
  • Row: 110 lb
  • Deadlift: 195 lb

Good progress, My goal is to have everything increased by EoNW. I'm thinking about dropped OHP from my workout altogether and focus on pull up progressions instead. Thoughts?

Quest 2: Health and Mobility

7/7 for diet. 3/3 for Yoga. Nothing to report!

Quest 3: Meditation

0/2. Utter failure this week. Honestly I've been too busy, which is a terrible excuse.

Life Quest: Music
Worked on stuff, nothing finished though. Band practice tonight, so I'll try to work on some stuff then.

Bonus Quest: RPG Fanatics Mini-Quest

Week 1's mini-challenge completed. +1 Charisma

I didn't have time last Monday to do my measurements, so I have no start-of-challenge numbers to work from, but I can probably safely use the previous week's:

Weight: 158

Neck: 15.5

Chest: 41

Biceps: 12.5

Forearms: 11

Waist: 32.75

Hips:36

Thighs: 21

Calves: 15.25

Body Fat%: 5.5% (calipers 7 point test, which is usually about 7% off - so closer to 12.5%)

Need to focus on meditation this week. Should be an easier time because it's not the last week of the month at work, which is always hectic.

• Like 3

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Extra task completed for the week:

Created an in depth workout journal. This will help me track progress better and pay more attention to my physical ability, mood, injuries, etc.

Well done.  Hopefully, you can get that meditation in next week :)

Thanks!

• Like 2

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Good job on the Strength / Health / Mobility and Boss Quest.

Looking forward to seeing increases on all those Strengths.

Mangostrike
Race: Stone Troll | Class: Ranger
[Level: 3 | STR 6 | DEX 2.5 | STA 6.25 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5 ]
Battle Log 1-First-Blood 2-Nerf-Herder 3-A-New-Hope 4-Get-Angry

If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Master Quest = <200 Lbs.

I'm gonna vote for pullups 100% of the time because pullups are awesome.  But I'm admittedly biased. :D

Good work all around, on most everything.  But I bet you could fit in some meditation SOMEWHERE.  Perhaps start small, just one time for two minutes?

"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines