Day 1.1:

Gymnastics today was a bit rushed -- there was an unfortunate injury incident at the start of the night, which delayed most people from starting their workouts and I also tried to corral lost nerds to the gym, but was ultimately not amazing at it because I am not even that familiar with the gym complex my gymnasium is hosted in... TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS LATER, Cheechoe and RP made it to the gym, unfortunately too late to participate, but they hung around like troopers. Tin_Man got most of a workout in though in the Monday gymnastics class. :)

sorry.gif

And yea.  If you let me know I'm down for bouldering at some point in the near future.  Now that I have income and all.  

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Great challenge here. Do gymnastics classes exist for tall, level 0, completely inexperienced adults? Would that be hard to find? I'm asking for some guy I know... 😉

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

^^ Possibly, depends on where you live. A lot of adult gymn classes use what's called an "open gym" format, where you go and practice whatever you like, with a couple of coaches available for spotting and advice (and first aid). Some gyms do offer more structured classes though. 

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Ooo inspire. I don't know for sure, but I feel like next challenge I should work on pullups, rope climbing, and rock climbing. Oo. Oo. =D

Dat upper body doe. Yeah, I'm also leaning toward a focus on more bodyweight upper body strength next challenge, buuuut it's also 6 weeks before the GoRuck challenge, so it'll be a double whammy of metcon stuff and just walking around with my pack on probably.

Say that 5 times fast. ;)

Sounds painful...

Beambuttburnbeambuttburnburtbearnbeatbambeant -- phew. Not as bad as I thought it might have been, but definitely a bit uncomfortable in jeans. I should have thought that choice through better this morning...

Haha hope your butt is ok! Would be hard to but tape on there ;)

This forearm burn is something I recognize and think my sport has in common with the climbers! Glad you had fun bouldering. It's nice to be able to understand other peoples quests a bit more right?

Absolutely! And actually, I just did a tiiiiny bit of KB stuff tonight and definitely got forearm pump action too. Sad forearms.

Laaaaate to the party but..

WOO. Goals look really good and I'm glad you're making good progress :)

YOU GOT THIS.

Sub sub sub.

Sup duuude.

hiiiii <3

!!! nightlight is here!

Great challenge here. Do gymnastics classes exist for tall, level 0, completely inexperienced adults? Would that be hard to find? I'm asking for some guy I know... 😉

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

YES! They exist! Whether you can find one near you is much tougher to say, but my gym does multiple beginner classes each week that definitely pick up adults who have 0 experience with the sport. Check out this website, which has a pretty comprehensive listing of offerings in the US and lists a few international programs as well: http://masters-gymnastics.com/?page_id=9

And yes, what Prarie said. Even if you can't find a class, sometimes you can participate in Open Gyms and other, less formal lessons. :)

Day 1.5

Gyyyyyyyyyyyyyym. As this is my first gym-gym day of the challenge, I'll actually list everything out. I'm still considering myself in recovery mode, so I am working my way back up to the weights I was working at before the ankle issues. Also I'm continuing to opt out of traditional deadlifts on days before gymnastics practice to avoid the lower back tightness I hate so much while doing gymnastics.

7:00 minute stationary bike warm-up (rower was occupied). Quick stretch.

Back Squats:

1 x 10 @ 45#

1 x 5 @ 85#

1 x 5 @ 125#

1 x 3 @ 155#

3 x 5 @ 190#

Front Squats (mostly just to try out because why not?):

2 x 10 @ 45#

2 x 10 @ 85#

OHP:

1 x 10 @ 45#

1 x 5 @ 55#

3 x 5 @ 60#

Stiff legged DLs:

1 x 10 @ 45#

1 x 10 @ 85#

2 x 5 @ 135# <-- My form feels weird at this weight. 

Didn't feel hamstring-y enough, so I also did 5 sets of 10 stiff leg deadlifts with just a 24kg kettlebell, in between sets of the Shoulder Shocker (8 reps @ 25#, 7.5#, and 7.5# of each exercise, respectively). Also did about 150 band pull-aparts, lots of ankle mobility stuff.

Food also on point -- you can even look at my dinner if you want:

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Fucking. Noms.

That looks wonderful. =D

And I'm super impressed with your front/back squat numbers. I don't lift much heavier, and I love squat.

<3!

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

And wait, what? Your Instagram is Jujiboos?

See that first video link in my signature? Hahaha.

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Dat upper body doe. Yeah, I'm also leaning toward a focus on more bodyweight upper body strength next challenge, buuuut it's also 6 weeks before the GoRuck challenge, so it'll be a double whammy of metcon stuff and just walking around with my pack on probably.

Beambuttburnbeambuttburnburtbearnbeatbambeant -- phew. Not as bad as I thought it might have been, but definitely a bit uncomfortable in jeans. I should have thought that choice through better this morning...

Absolutely! And actually, I just did a tiiiiny bit of KB stuff tonight and definitely got forearm pump action too. Sad forearms.

Sup duuude.

!!! nightlight is here!

YES! They exist! Whether you can find one near you is much tougher to say, but my gym does multiple beginner classes each week that definitely pick up adults who have 0 experience with the sport. Check out this website, which has a pretty comprehensive listing of offerings in the US and lists a few international programs as well: http://masters-gymnastics.com/?page_id=9

And yes, what Prarie said. Even if you can't find a class, sometimes you can participate in Open Gyms and other, less formal lessons. :)

Day 1.5

Gyyyyyyyyyyyyyym. As this is my first gym-gym day of the challenge, I'll actually list everything out. I'm still considering myself in recovery mode, so I am working my way back up to the weights I was working at before the ankle issues. Also I'm continuing to opt out of traditional deadlifts on days before gymnastics practice to avoid the lower back tightness I hate so much while doing gymnastics.

7:00 minute stationary bike warm-up (rower was occupied). Quick stretch.

Back Squats:

1 x 10 @ 45#

1 x 5 @ 85#

1 x 5 @ 125#

1 x 3 @ 155#

3 x 5 @ 190#

Front Squats (mostly just to try out because why not?):

2 x 10 @ 45#

2 x 10 @ 85#

OHP:

1 x 10 @ 45#

1 x 5 @ 55#

3 x 5 @ 60#

Stiff legged DLs:

1 x 10 @ 45#

1 x 10 @ 85#

2 x 5 @ 135# <-- My form feels weird at this weight. 

Didn't feel hamstring-y enough, so I also did 5 sets of 10 stiff leg deadlifts with just a 24kg kettlebell, in between sets of the Shoulder Shocker (8 reps @ 25#, 7.5#, and 7.5# of each exercise, respectively). Also did about 150 band pull-aparts, lots of ankle mobility stuff.

Food also on point -- you can even look at my dinner if you want:

OMG it looks so good.

Good job on the workout, too! :)

Nice work! Really nice.

I'd heard that gymnasts are often 'bad' at front squats because the rack position isn't easy for them. (Keeping elbows up)

I think my front rack position is okay. Honestly, I just throw in random squat variations every so often to try the form and don't really attempt to add on much weight, Front squats are a bit too quad-heavy for me -- my quads are already way more dominant than my posterior chain and they definitely don't need the extra attention from front squats. My glutes + hammies have some catching up to do, so you won't see much front squatting in my workouts.

Fucking. Noms.

That looks wonderful. =D

And I'm super impressed with your front/back squat numbers. I don't lift much heavier, and I love squat.

<3!

Thanks! I also love the squats. F all other lifts -- squat all day. 

And wait, what? Your Instagram is Jujiboos?

See that first video link in my signature? Hahaha.

Haha, yeah! One of my nicknames growing up was Jujiboo, so I use it on social media. Ooobviously this is a sign I need to take up tricking and trick with the other Juji for double Juji action.

Looks yummy!!

And Sea Level - sometimes circus schools have tumbling classes too. :)

It wassss. I have extra steak too for steak and eggs this weekend. <3

OMG it looks so good.

Good job on the workout, too! :)

Thanks, brotha Lion.

Day 1.6

Packed up my backpack with bricks before gymnastics today. Missed my morning bus, so I put in ~1.8 miles under the weighted ruck before gymnastics. Walked most of the way back home for another 2.7 miles. I stopped to pick up coffee and some groceries while I was out, so I can't give an accurate time.My traps are still the weak point for these, but I've got plenty of time to get them prepped before May. Total distance today = 4.5 miles with 20+ lb (more during the second half because of groceries).

Gymnastics was okay. Again lots of front tumbling and beam-work because I'm only competing beam and floor next Saturday (! so soon!). Can't quite break the mental barrier of front tuck into front yet, but I got to run through some of my choreography and did a decent amount of tumbling while I was there. I was very fatigued, however. I have been doing Saturday practices fasted for the past month or so, but gym on Friday night into gymnastics on Saturday morning just fatigues me too much. Definitely gonna add in a banana or toast or banana toast pre-Saturday practice to help with my energy levels a little. As a result, my post workout conditioning was kind of lame: just some push-ups, v-ups, and flutter kicks. 

Ankle mobility work check. Band pull aparts yet to come. ALL THE CLEANING ABOUT TO GO DOWN! 

<3

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Best of luck on the cleaning. That was me last weekend. All of it went down.

About front tuck to front tuck... Yeah, it is just kind of a chuck it and stop thinking about it technique in my experience. I've landed it like... twice. I'd like to try again sometime soon, as my front tucks are certainly better now than they were however many years ago that was. =D

But I'm wondering this: do you ever train with stimulants? Lots of tricksters like to down Monster and stuff, but I think that's silly. I just buy caffeine pills and it turns out being literally a thousandth the cost and doesn't taste like shit/have any other nasty side effects of energy drinks. =) 200mg per pill. I take two before tricking and it really, really sets me in the right place. Some of my friends take more, some take less, some mix in ephedrine and B-vitamins, all of which I've enjoyed for various purposes.

If I'm behaving in a dietary sense, I don't generally have any caffeine in my day (no coffee, etc) so my system is particularly receptive to that and other stimulants, making them perfect training supplements. So yeah - ever tried that? =) I find it helps immensely with specifically mental tricks.

5'11"/180cm

Day 1.7

Sunday funday. Went to the gym again. Upped squats back to 195#, benched at 85#, and did the prescribed shoulder shockers. Little quick with the stretching and ankle mobility. Did not condition. Whoops.

Next Saturday! It feels like it snuck up quickly!

I'm sure you'll get past the mental hurdle soon! And that meet really did sneak up.

So quickly! Time is so strange sometimes. 

Best of luck on the cleaning. That was me last weekend. All of it went down.

About front tuck to front tuck... Yeah, it is just kind of a chuck it and stop thinking about it technique in my experience. I've landed it like... twice. I'd like to try again sometime soon, as my front tucks are certainly better now than they were however many years ago that was. =D

But I'm wondering this: do you ever train with stimulants? Lots of tricksters like to down Monster and stuff, but I think that's silly. I just buy caffeine pills and it turns out being literally a thousandth the cost and doesn't taste like shit/have any other nasty side effects of energy drinks. =) 200mg per pill. I take two before tricking and it really, really sets me in the right place. Some of my friends take more, some take less, some mix in ephedrine and B-vitamins, all of which I've enjoyed for various purposes.

If I'm behaving in a dietary sense, I don't generally have any caffeine in my day (no coffee, etc) so my system is particularly receptive to that and other stimulants, making them perfect training supplements. So yeah - ever tried that? =) I find it helps immensely with specifically mental tricks.

Mmm, not really. I haven't intentionally tried much in terms of stims or anything. I don't think I would bother with the effort. It's less mental in terms of "Oh, man this is spooky!" and more my body is just not landing in a position conducive to rebounding into another salto. I need to make the adjustments and just physically/mentally be prepared to go into another flip before I land rather than realizing I've landed and going "oh, crap."

Oh next saturday sooo soon... how are you going to do rest? Just a couple of days or?

Nice work on that backpacking. Doing that before gymnastics and after seems very intense!

Oh, rest. Ummm. I didn't really think about it. I'll take off Friday from the gym, I think, and instead just do an extended stretching session with very light conditioning. I don't really want to be tight or sore for Saturday, do I?

Thats so exciting that youll be competing!  Good luck!  Especially with the injuries to nurse!

Thanks! Ankle is almost fully healed at this point, so hopefully it won't be an issue. :)

Your dinner picture made me drool on my keyboard. 

*gives ApfelStrudi a napkin* Haha, I'm glad you think it looks good. It was very tasty. I also made fish tacos on Saturday night and bulgogi last night. GOOD weekend for eats.

Raptron, alot assassin

Week 1 Summary:

Gymnastics: 3/3 gymnastics sessions

Strength training: 3/3 strength training sessions [2 gym, 1 bouldering]

Conditioning: 4/5 conditioning

Shoulder Shockers: 3/3 shoulder shocker sets

Band pull-aparts: 4/5

Ankles: 5/5

Stretching: 6/5

Food by challenge guidelines: 6/7 [snack crazy day on Wednesday]

Laundry: 2/2

Fridge: 0/1

Pantry: 0/0 [Will do this next week]

Total: 36/39 (92.3%)

This was a fun week. I got to spend lots of time with NF Nerds in the beginning of the week, try out bouldering, had time to catch up on housework and sleep on the weekend, and put in a good amount of time working on the trouble areas in my gymnastics routines. With tonight and Thursday as the only two practices left before the competition, I am getting a bit nervous, but I'm pretty excited. I hope I can make time to run through my floor routine a few times this week because I haven't done a full routine with all the dance and tumbling together. I hope I don't completely die.

Food-wise, things were pretty decent. I had trouble with the snacking on the weekend even with the rules in place. Knowing that I was trying to limit the number of times I was getting food, I instead made these GIANT snack portions to skirt the rules. I didn't make paczki though, which would have made everything a bit more difficult, so that is a plus at least? Weight stayed the same for the week, so I'll be more mindful of portion sizes this week.

Week 2 Plan

Monday: Gymnastics

Tuesday: Gym w/extra conditioning + ankle and shoulder

Wednesday: Rest day

Thursday: Gymnastics

Friday: Stretching and light conditioning

Saturday: Gymnastics -- MEET DAY! 

Sunday: Gym w/extra conditioning + ankle and shoulder

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines