AlexCold's Epic Quest for Badassitude Level 4 - Choose My Adventure!!!

AlexCold

Choose my challenge!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What should my goals be? (TOP 3 WIN!!) Please elaborate on your choices and how I should quantify.

What! It's new challenge time? HECK YEAH!!

So the last few challenges have been very successful. I've gone from just doing bodyweight workouts and strict Paleo to lifting and eating 2200 calories and 200g of carb/protein. 

Since joining NF, I believe I've lost around 17 lbs, but more importantly a 9% drop in BF. And that's with very little gym/workout time and no "extreme" dieting. My body composition is changing which is what I want. 

My main goal is health and aesthetics. I want to look good with my shirt off. Ryan Reynolds good.

The%2BAmityville%2BHorror%2B-%2BRyan%2BR

So good that when I take my shirt off, women think in their heads....

tumblr_ll1sj8Mozx1qdlkgg.gif

And my wife to think...

britney-excited.gif

Is it a vain goal? Sure, but I've never been even close to that type of body. I'm at the lowest weight ever in my adult life. I wear a smaller jean than I did in high school (when I could lift more). So yeah, I want low body fat and cut abs. 

With that, I've been building good habits and have great support from my wife. I love to lift (following a semi-starting strength program) and will continue to do this. I got the nutrition down, I know how to change and modify things, so that's not really a challenge. I know that I need sleep to recover and build strength. These aren't challenges anymore. So I need your help.

There is a poll, with some things that I could challenge myself with. I'm willing to try new things, personally I want them to be fitness related. I don't have much time for any sports to play. Please vote and leave a comment. At the end of the week, let's say Feb 28th (unless there are clear winners) I'll pick the top three and carry them through the rest of the challenge. 

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:

Currently I lift 3 times a week with alternating programs.

Day 1 = Bench, BB Row, RDL, Good Mornings, Dips, DB Curl and DB Hammer Curl

Day 2 = Squats, OHP, DL, Leg Press, Calf Press, and Pullups

EDIT 3/3/14:

CHALLENGE GOALS

1) Pushups!! (+5 STR)

I will get a baseline number of pushups performed in one set. I will then try to improve that by 25% by the end of the challenge. If I exceed that before the end of the 5 weeks, I will then at 10% per week.

2) Planks!! (+5 CON)

Same with the pushups. I'll try to improve plank time by 25%. Exceeding that value before hand will add 10% per week.

3) Sprints!! (+3 DEX, +2 STA)

I will shoot for 8 runs. I will either do it after the gym or while the gym. Never done sprints on a treadmill, but I will try. I like keeping my workouts concentrated since I don't have much time to workout as it is.

• Like 2

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

I chose push-ups and sprints from your list and I would add pull-ups as well. I've got primal blueprint on the mind lately and these are some of the essential movements that Mark Sisson talks about.

Also I will be doing some of these things for my challenge and the more the merrier!

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

This is fun! I suggested push-ups,yoga, and sprints.

Push-ups: 25% increase of reps, perhaps? Voted because they're a great exercise all around and you can do about a hundred variations for excitement.

Yoga: A couple days a week, and I advocate this because I know a guy who only does yoga and is cut as hell--literally when he tenses you can see every single muscle in his body. Also it's good for your mindset and flexibility.

Sprints: Because they're good for you, for reasons I'm sure you know. Not knowing your workout habits, I'm not sure how you should stick these in.

I chose push-ups and sprints from your list and I would add pull-ups as well. I've got primal blueprint on the mind lately and these are some of the essential movements that Mark Sisson talks about.

Also I will be doing some of these things for my challenge and the more the merrier!

Bdubs! Glad you're here. I knew you were going to say pull ups. BTW...have you gotten to the take cold showers section of the book?

I voted!  I like this idea!  Hopefully you have fun with whatever we choose ;)  Congrats on the progress so far!  Keep it up!

Thanks man, I like your choices. 

This is fun! I suggested push-ups,yoga, and sprints.

Push-ups: 25% increase of reps, perhaps? Voted because they're a great exercise all around and you can do about a hundred variations for excitement.

Yoga: A couple days a week, and I advocate this because I know a guy who only does yoga and is cut as hell--literally when he tenses you can see every single muscle in his body. Also it's good for your mindset and flexibility.

Sprints: Because they're good for you, for reasons I'm sure you know. Not knowing your workout habits, I'm not sure how you should stick these in.

Thank you. I thought it would be fun. Just thought it would be boring if I just put up my previous goals, which I'll continue doing.

I like your choices! When you say 25% increase on the pushups is that weekly or by the end of the challenge?

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

I voted for yoga, sprints, and recipe sharing. Yoga because mobility is the key to advancement and doing lifts safely. Sprints because HIIT is shown to help reduce body fat. And recipe sharing because I like recipes.

I like to quantify my goals as process goals, i.e. x number of days per challenge. But if you find that challenge goals, i.e., be able to do x by end of challenge work better for you, go with that!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

I really appreciate that Britney gif, makes me smile haha. 

That poll idea is awesome! I went for pushups, sprints and planks. Pushups and sprints because they're just good, and I went for planks because I started doing them last challenge and got up to a 3 minute hold and they SERIOUSLY flattened out my abs, my little pooch like completely disappeared in 2 weeks after I added planks to my workouts. Maybe it was a combination of things, but yeah, planks = WIN!

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

I voted for yoga, sprints, and recipe sharing. Yoga because mobility is the key to advancement and doing lifts safely. Sprints because HIIT is shown to help reduce body fat. And recipe sharing because I like recipes.

I like to quantify my goals as process goals, i.e. x number of days per challenge. But if you find that challenge goals, i.e., be able to do x by end of challenge work better for you, go with that!

Thanks LoD! Even if I don't get recipe sharing as a challenge goal, I'll still try to do some. 

I think either way of those methods is tough for me with a baby boy at home. I think for this challenge (maybe future ones) I'll just see if I do them. I've gotten pretty good about just doing things now.

I really appreciate that Britney gif, makes me smile haha. 

That poll idea is awesome! I went for pushups, sprints and planks. Pushups and sprints because they're just good, and I went for planks because I started doing them last challenge and got up to a 3 minute hold and they SERIOUSLY flattened out my abs, my little pooch like completely disappeared in 2 weeks after I added planks to my workouts. Maybe it was a combination of things, but yeah, planks = WIN!

Thanks! Do you like it because it's fun or because of boobs. I like it because of boobs. Boobs. (had to say it again)

I thought the poll idea was clever. I'm just not creative in that way to come up with fun things to do. I'm an engineer. I problem solve and make things. In that way I'm creative but without a problem I don't know how to go about things.

I love your suggestions. 

You're giving me too many options. Too much control. I'm not so sure I have the restraint.

So I'll go with the 'do what makes you happy' option.

Restraint? In what capacity? Choose whichever you like, they would all make me happy! 

It's not like I'm letting you control my body like a SIMS character. I would shudder in fear if that were possible.

I chose planks, cycling, and recipe sharing.

Planks because core is important.  Cycling because it's a good full-body thing (if my information is correct).

Recipe sharing partially because diet is important and partially because I'm selfish and always want new recipes to play with and try out, and I'm not afraid to coerce friends into that goal :P

Aaaanyway.  Looking forward to the challenge!  Will be interesting to see which ones get top three.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I like your choices! When you say 25% increase on the pushups is that weekly or by the end of the challenge?

I meant 25% by the end of the challenge, though that's rather dependent on your level if it would be a challenge for you (example: currently 20 per set, aim for 25 per set by end). Perhaps use current+N for challenge goal, depending on how many you'd like to up your one-set max by.

I chose planks, cycling, and recipe sharing.

Planks because core is important.  Cycling because it's a good full-body thing (if my information is correct).

Recipe sharing partially because diet is important and partially because I'm selfish and always want new recipes to play with and try out, and I'm not afraid to coerce friends into that goal :tongue:

Aaaanyway.  Looking forward to the challenge!  Will be interesting to see which ones get top three.

Thanks for choosing! I can't wait to find out what you'll all make me do.

I meant 25% by the end of the challenge, though that's rather dependent on your level if it would be a challenge for you (example: currently 20 per set, aim for 25 per set by end). Perhaps use current+N for challenge goal, depending on how many you'd like to up your one-set max by.

That sounds fine. I was worried it'd be 25% every week! Talk about tough!

Lol, you're awesomeness is showing again Alex.....I am never going to be able to keep up with your thread now! ;)

SUB'D!!!!! :triumphant:

I voted recipes (this shouldn't surprise you :playful: ), yoga...because I'm planning on doing it for flexibility purposes, aaaaand push ups...I'm not sure why. :huh:

Now CRUSH another challenge my friend! (and I will have my thread up as soon as I figure out what the heck I'm doing)  lol

Wish you an awesome day!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I'm saying plank.  Fun to beat a personal best on those.  How long can you go?

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Do the goals get decided next Monday or are you going to close voting before then??

I voted for Running, Pushups, and Cycling..just because I think that would make for a great challenge!..

as your partner this round...my goal is to post on your thread at least once a day...

Level 4 Dragonborn Ranger
STR 5 |STA 4 | INT 2 | WIS 1 | CON 7 | CHA 5

Level 1 | Level 2 | Level 3 | Level 4

Then I choose burpees. Burpees as far as the eye can see!

You're a cruel woman ;)

Lol, you're awesomeness is showing again Alex.....I am never going to be able to keep up with your thread now! ;)

SUB'D!!!!! :triumphant:

I voted recipes (this shouldn't surprise you :playful: ), yoga...because I'm planning on doing it for flexibility purposes, aaaaand push ups...I'm not sure why. :huh:

Now CRUSH another challenge my friend! (and I will have my thread up as soon as I figure out what the heck I'm doing)  lol

Wish you an awesome day!

Is it? Damn, it's always getting out. You're pretty awesome as well, I think you'll be fine.

I actually put recipes because of you. 

I'm saying plank.  Fun to beat a personal best on those.  How long can you go?

Last time I tried, about 1 minute maybe 1:15. 

Do the goals get decided next Monday or are you going to close voting before then??

I voted for Running, Pushups, and Cycling..just because I think that would make for a great challenge!..

as your partner this round...my goal is to post on your thread at least once a day...

I'll close them on late Sunday if there's a clear winner. There still may be new people who may want to vote so I'll let it go for a while. 

Thanks partner! I'll try to do the same!

So since this is my new thread. I figured I'd post my "week off" workouts. 

Tuesday 12/18 - Leg Day

SQUAT - 155lbsx5x3 (up 10lbs - Too lazy to go find 2.5lb plates to get the 150lb squat so I just went up 10lbs - MAN LOGIC)

OHP - 90lbsx5x3 (damn hard) up 5lbs

DL - 265lbsx1x5 - up 10 lbs

LEG Press  - 200lbsx5x3

Calf Press - 200lbsx10x3

Assisted Pullup - 76(8?)lbsx5x3 - dropped from 82lbs assist

Freaking draining workout, but it felt awesome afterwards. Feeling the DOMS a bit today, pushed a truck a quarter mile though yesterday so that didn't help. 

• Like 2

Awesome!  :)

Just hope the truck wasn't yours???? :huh:

Yeah, DOMS made deadlifts super tough today! :nightmare:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I chose Yoga/Flexibility, Planks, and Sprints.

The first two because core strength + flexibility + balance = bigass, heavyasfuck lifts... safely. =) Neither of us are warriors, but the aesthetic you're going for is a very strong one, so... =D

And then sprints because sprints are hard. And they tax your body like little else can. If you can do them like a monster without injury, then you'll deepen the adaptive response your body gives by pushing the negative stimuli that much further. And that, like heavy lifts, is for the aesthetic gains.

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

I chose Yoga/Flexibility, Planks, and Sprints.

The first two because core strength + flexibility + balance = bigass, heavyasfuck lifts... safely. =) Neither of us are warriors, but the aesthetic you're going for is a very strong one, so... =D

And then sprints because sprints are hard. And they tax your body like little else can. If you can do them like a monster without injury, then you'll deepen the adaptive response your body gives by pushing the negative stimuli that much further. And that, like heavy lifts, is for the aesthetic gains.

Excellent goals. Thanks for the insight on them as well. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines