Ranger Chat

Hammlin

Huzzah!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

This is my second challenge so the first time I've been allowed to participate in the mini-challenges. I read that they are usually posted on Tuesdays and run through Sunday. Where are they posted?

Sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I haven't seen it as I've been reading through stuff.

• Like 2

Class/Profession: Hobbit/Ranger - Level 4

Current Attributes: STR: 2, DEX: 3.5, STA: 8.5, CON: 8.5, WIS: 11.5, CHA: 4

Habits I'm Working On: #1, #2

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3.1(fail), #3.2

Quote: "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

This is my second challenge so the first time I've been allowed to participate in the mini-challenges. I read that they are usually posted on Tuesdays and run through Sunday. Where are they posted?

Sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I haven't seen it as I've been reading through stuff.

I'm so excited to be given a mini-challenge!

• Like 1

Mangostrike
Race: Stone Troll | Class: Ranger
[Level: 3 | STR 6 | DEX 2.5 | STA 6.25 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5 ]
Battle Log 1-First-Blood 2-Nerf-Herder 3-A-New-Hope 4-Get-Angry

If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Master Quest = <200 Lbs.

The mini-challenges will be posted in the Ranger forum for this challenge. The schedule for them isn't always very strict as the guild leaders who are coming up with them usually have jobs and other commitments and it can take some time to come up with one and type it up. I believe for the last six-week challenge, the mini-challenges were running more Sunday to Sunday. Sometimes the mini-challenge creator will post a link to the mini-challenges here so that people are made aware of their presence, but if that doesn't happen I'll try to link it here if I run across it before someone else does.

• Like 2

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Many thanks to all of the Guild leaders and others who help to run the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mangostrike
Race: Stone Troll | Class: Ranger
[Level: 3 | STR 6 | DEX 2.5 | STA 6.25 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5 ]
Battle Log 1-First-Blood 2-Nerf-Herder 3-A-New-Hope 4-Get-Angry

If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Master Quest = <200 Lbs.

My mind is full of all the fun awesome things I can do to you all.

Yus.

Edit:

Read- I'm working on the mini and hope to post it today ;)

• Like 5

My Blog | My Story

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Hey Rangers! I was hoping to join your ranks for this challenge, but I'm sadly going to have to sit this one out because life reasons and things. However, I want to wish everyone a great challenge, I'm looking forward to cheerleading y'all on and stalking some challenge threads to get inspiration and ideas for the next challenge, when I am back in fighting shape :) Have fun!

• Like 3

Commander Frou | Level 2 Ranger Wannabe

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

Challenge #1 - Jan 6 2014

Battle log

The mini is up

• Like 2

My Blog | My Story

Also, the link won't change, I edit the title and add to the existing threads, in case anyone was wondering ;)

• Like 2

My Blog | My Story

Today's woot: My Armstrong "Weds/Thurs training set" of pullups is up from 3 to 5.  That's the number in a set that I can do 9 times with 60 seconds of break in between.  Major, major progress!

• Like 4
"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Today's woot: My Armstrong "Weds/Thurs training set" of pullups is up from 3 to 5.  That's the number in a set that I can do 9 times with 60 seconds of break in between.  Major, major progress!

Are you saying you're doing 45 pullups in sets of 5 with 60 secs break between sets? That is bloody awesome work if so!

• Like 2

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Thanks guys!

Are you saying you're doing 45 pullups in sets of 5 with 60 secs break between sets? That is bloody awesome work if so!

Yes, but more than that: I did that at 07 this morning, then did it AGAIN at 1100 with two more sets (only made 4 on the last, though, so 54 total that time).  So I did 99 pullups today, and in the afternoon, about two dozen slow-negatives with a 20# sandbag in my backpack.

"Dream job is mine if I improve my physical fitness test score in April" is a pretty powerful motivator. :D

• Like 3

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

I'm very interested in how you progressed your pullups since I tried allsorts and never seem to get very far. *checks quickdraw current challenge thread* hmm, armstrong method, I shall read up. 

I can do about 4 or 5 in a set which gradually fades by 1 or 2 each set. How long did it take you to get beyond 2 sets of 5?

How exciting, I've got butterflies finding someone that has followed a program for real pullups progress, although I don't expect my desk job has quote the same effect on my body as active marine training! :)

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Awesome work quickdraw.

Woden uses ravens for messages, I use a Samsung S4.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I'm very interested in how you progressed your pullups since I tried allsorts and never seem to get very far. *checks quickdraw current challenge thread* hmm, armstrong method, I shall read up. 

I can do about 4 or 5 in a set which gradually fades by 1 or 2 each set. How long did it take you to get beyond 2 sets of 5?

How exciting, I've got butterflies finding someone that has followed a program for real pullups progress, although I don't expect my desk job has quote the same effect on my body as active marine training! :)

I spent the past year at a desk job just treading water on my pullups, so fear not: you can improve!  I seriously only spend ~10 minutes per session, and any reasonable person (ie, someone who doesn't need to add 9 pullups in <3 months) doesn't need to be doing Armstrong more than 1x/day.

Here's the Armstrong Program writeup.  It's really very simple: M-F, you do the prescribed set of pullups and rest on the weekends.  The condensed version is:

Monday: 5x max sets, with 90 seconds rest between sets.

Tuesday: Ladder, starting from 1 pullup and adding one per set, until you fail.  10 seconds rest per pullup in the previous set.  Upon failure, take the rest period and do 1 more max set.

Wednesday: 9 total "training sets:" 3x overhand (shoulder width), 3x underhand (together), 3x overhand (wide).  Your "training set" is probably about 2, if you have a max effort set around 5.  60 seconds rest between sets.

Thursday: Perform training sets (same number as Wednesday's), with 60 seconds rest in between, until you fail a set.

Friday: Repeat the hardest day of the week; will vary.

If you make all 9 training sets on Wednesday, attempt to increase your training set on Thursday.  If you then make 9 sets on Thursday, that +1 is now your new training set.  You're also supposed to do 3x max effort sets of pushups in the morning.

Doubling up the whole program, like I am, is really only for the truly insane or well prepared; I once had a personal record of 22 pullups, but allowed my desk job to distract me from fitness for a while.  I actually seriously don't recommend doubling up unless (like me) you have some career-defining opportunity on the line; I AM accepting a (slightly) increased risk of injuring myself to achieve gains this fast.

• Like 2

and how could I forget we have a chat thread?? this isn't my first rodeo!!!

aint-my-first-rodeo-580x569.jpg

• Like 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move