Hazard: 1st Mission - Agent Field Test

Hazard

Report for: Mar 5, 2014

Mission Objective #1: Track the movements of three High Priority targets for six weeks: Weight, Calories, Protein.

Weight:    178.2 lbs  (80.8 kg)

Calories:  1702

Protein:   136 g

Mission Objective #2: Cut until March 10th, then reassess.

Starting Weight:  181.2 lbs  (82.2 kg)

Current Weight:   178.2 lbs  (80.8 kg)

9 Day Change:      -3.0 lbs  (-1.4 kg)

Mission Objective #3: Recon the 7 Nerd Fitness Guilds

Subquest: investigate area Martial Arts schools to see if I can afford any.

Within reasonable distance to me there are...

5 taekwondo schools

2 karate schools

1 karate/jujutsu school

1 smorgasbord school with brazilian jiu-jitsu, judo, karate, kick boxing, & does MMA stuff

Only 1 school, the karate/jujutsu hybrid, was decent enough to list prices online.  The rest all went the sleazy salesman route of requiring direct contact for any prices.  I'll try phone calls.

• Like 6

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Report for: Mar 6, 2014

Mission Objective #1: Track the movements of three High Priority targets for six weeks: Weight, Calories, Protein.

Calories:  1703

Protein:   151 g

10 Day Change:     -3.0 lbs  (-1.4 kg)

Weight stayed put the past few days.  This change in behavior suspicious.  I wonder if he's on to me?

Mission Objective #3: Recon the 7 Nerd Fitness Guilds  (Complete!)

Adventurer

Ranger

Scout

Warrior

Druid

Monk - A couple of martial arts schools were so sleazy that they wouldn't even give me a general range of prices over the phone, demanding that I come in person for more info.  I don't play that game; so they were a no go.  For the other places though, after patiently waiting - silently - through their sales pitch over the phone, most of them begrudgingly told me their prices.  And holy moley! Martial Arts classes are expensive!  I definitely don't have enough gold in my pouch to pay for this kind of training.  So the only option would be going at it myself at home.  I've decided that wouldn't be a very efficient use of my time.  So, maybe some day I'll be able to afford it, but for now, this guild's not for me. 

Which means, the guild that made the cut is the Assassins! 

Don't worry though!  After this six weeks is over, I'll definitely be following the challenges of anybody who's on my Friends List, no matter which Guild you decide to join.  So push that Add Friend button if you haven't already! 

• Like 11

I Stand With Gina Carano

Hard at work tracking your targets over some rough terrain, you notice a deer bounce over a bench in your peripheral vision.    Upon closer inspection, you find a briefcase under the bench.   It contains a single sheet of paper that reads:

715154 7219124 3815935

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Hard at work tracking your targets over some rough terrain, you notice a deer bounce over a bench in your peripheral vision.    Upon closer inspection, you find a briefcase under the bench.   It contains a single sheet of paper that reads:

715154 7219124 3815935

I ... uh.... er....

hmm.

Aah.  Okay.  I see it.

20811411251521_199121225_45518

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

Report for: Mar 7, 2014

Weight:    177.0 lbs  (80.3 kg)

Calories:  1715

Protein:   136 g

Current Weight:   177.0 lbs  (80.3 kg)

11 Day Change:     -4.2 lbs  (-1.9 kg)

Activating Bonus Objective: Investigate - and develop a reference list of - foundational 'Assassin' training.

• Like 6

I Stand With Gina Carano

Report for: Mar 8, 2014

Weight:    177.8 lbs  (80.6 kg)

Calories:  1710

Protein:   159 g

Current Weight:   177.8 lbs  (80.6 kg)

12 Day Change:     -3.4 lbs  (-1.6 kg)

Weight's bouncing around now.  Since I've been eating pretty consistent calories, I doubt I put back on nearly a pound of solid weight in a day.  I'm guessing there's some water retention going on possibly related to workout recovery and/or varying sodium levels.  But that is just a guess.

Starting Waist:   35.40 in   (89.9 cm)

Current Waist:    34.13 in   (86.7 cm)

12 Day Change:    -1.27 in   (-3.2 cm)

I have waist measurements for the start of the challenge and a few other days.  I've gone back and edited them into the reports for those days.  Since my weight has begun acting funny, I'm going to use the occasional waist measurement as another tool.  Looking at weight and waist changes together will give a better indication of what my body's doing.

Bonus Objective: Investigate & develop a reference list of foundational 'Assassin' training.

I'm reading lots of scattered info and conflicting opinions on what makes up foundational training.  For now I'll just grab everything, for list building.  It'll probably take at least a few days.  I welcome suggestions for things to add to the list, as well as thoughts/ideas/comments concerning any of the items already on it.

hollow hold

pushups

straddle one-arm pushups

plank

frog stand

crow stand

arch up

candlestick

pullups

back lever

pistol squats

wall-assisted handstand

L-sit

back bridge

hanging leg raise

backward tuck roll

forward tuck roll

tuck jump

cartwheel

• Like 10

I Stand With Gina Carano

Ugh, I'm going through the same thing here re: martial arts! I was wanting to take krav maga classes but the only place here that teaches it is of the super skeevy type. No go. If you're into yoga, sometimes there are places that do community yoga classes on donation, though? Finding group classes on a budget is rough. I am so there with you.

It's been fun following your recon experiences! :)

• Like 1

Hope

LEVEL 0 | DEEP DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Backstory |  Facebook || Challenges: 

"Certainty of death...small chance of success...what are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Report for: Mar 8, 2014

Weight:    177.8 lbs  (80.6 kg)

Calories:  1710

Protein:   159 g

Current Weight:   177.8 lbs  (80.6 kg)

12 Day Change:     -3.4 lbs  (-1.6 kg)

Weight's bouncing around now.  Since I've been eating pretty consistent calories, I doubt I put back on nearly a pound of solid weight in a day.  I'm guessing there's some water retention going on possibly related to workout recovery and/or varying sodium levels.  But that is just a guess.

Starting Waist:   35.40 in   (89.9 cm)

Current Waist:    34.13 in   (86.7 cm)

12 Day Change:    -1.27 in   (-3.2 cm)

I have waist measurements for the start of the challenge and a few other days.  I've gone back and edited them into the reports for those days.  Since my weight has begun acting funny, I'm going to use the occasional waist measurement as another tool.  Looking at weight and waist changes together will give a better indication of what my body's doing.

Bonus Objective: Investigate & develop a reference list of foundational 'Assassin' training.

I'm reading lots of scattered info and conflicting opinions on what makes up foundational training.  For now I'll just grab everything, for list building.  It'll probably take at least a few days.  I welcome suggestions for things to add to the list, as well as thoughts/ideas/comments concerning any of the items already on it.

hollow hold

pushups

straddle one-arm pushups

plank

frog stand

crow stand

arch up

candlestick

pullups

back lever

pistol squats

wall-assisted handstand

L-sit

back bridge

hanging leg raise

backward tuck roll

forward tuck roll

tuck jump

cartwheel

Lots of stuff in this list. Some high level skills, some for building foundation. Some are part of a progression, for example you have a handstand progression with

Hollow hold -> Crow/frog stand -> Wall assisted handstand -> Free handstands -> handstand pushups

Planks are a good exercise to build the core, but once you can do easily a 1 or 2 minutes planks, switching to a harder exercise is better, I would sort them like this:

Planks -> Hollow body holds -> Hanging leg raises -> L-sit (-> V-sit -> Manna)

Even if technically L-sit and further are full body exercises. An advanced core "only" exercise would be the Dragon flag

Pistol squats are part of the squats progression

Half squats -> Full squats assisted -> Full squats -> Bulgarian split squats -> Shrimp squats -> Pistol squats -> Weighted pistol squats / Jumping pistol squats

Considering your main goal, I would advice you to check Waldo's battle log, or Yuen and Phylanx challenges. You will find a lot of infos there :)

• Like 3

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

I was reading back through your guild research. I'm interested in what your final decision will be.

I chose warriors because I prefer weight lifting to just about anything else, and size and strength are my primary goals. I'm fascinated by body weight work though. I've been thinking about finding ways to incorporate body weight work into my normal exercise schedule. My focus will likely always be weightlifting, but the challenge of adding in body weight work intrigues me and adds a sense of rounding me out more. 

In the long run I will likely dip into assassin or ranger from time to time as I progress, but I'm definitely a warrior at the core. 

BTW I love your post style and am totally stealing it for my next challenge. 

• Like 2

Race: Kender Class: Warrior

Level:7

STR:25 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:13 | WIS:17 | CHA:14

Lots of stuff in this list. Some high level skills, some for building foundation. Some are part of a progression, for example you have a handstand progression with

Hollow hold -> Crow/frog stand -> Wall assisted handstand -> Free handstands -> handstand pushups

Planks are a good exercise to build the core, but once you can do easily a 1 or 2 minutes planks, switching to a harder exercise is better, I would sort them like this:

Planks -> Hollow body holds -> Hanging leg raises -> L-sit (-> V-sit -> Manna)

Even if technically L-sit and further are full body exercises. An advanced core "only" exercise would be the Dragon flag

Pistol squats are part of the squats progression

Half squats -> Full squats assisted -> Full squats -> Bulgarian split squats -> Shrimp squats -> Pistol squats -> Weighted pistol squats / Jumping pistol squats

Considering your main goal, I would advice you to check Waldo's battle log, or Yuen and Phylanx challenges. You will find a lot of infos there :)

Thanks!   When I saw some of the stuff suggested for beginners - I was raising a skeptical eyebrow thinking there must be even more basic steps, since not all beginners would be able to do all of these.  But part one of brainstorming is always just to toss it all on the page.  I'm grateful for the progressions you listed.  Those will help me clean up my list.

Since you're a climber, do you have suggestions for beginner foundational work aimed for bouldering?

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

I was reading back through your guild research. I'm interested in what your final decision will be.

Assassin.  That's decided. 

The question I'm dealing with now is which skills to pursue and how to incorporate them into my workout cycle. 

I chose warriors because I prefer weight lifting to just about anything else, and size and strength are my primary goals. I'm fascinated by body weight work though. I've been thinking about finding ways to incorporate body weight work into my normal exercise schedule. My focus will likely always be weightlifting, but the challenge of adding in body weight work intrigues me and adds a sense of rounding me out more. 

I'm much the same, except that to me weightlifting isn't a focus, it's just another tool.  A fantastic tool when used well, but still just a tool.   One question to ask yourself might be: once you have strength and size, what are you going to do with it?

BTW I love your post style and am totally stealing it for my next challenge. 

Be my guest! 

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

Report for: Mar 9, 2014

Calories:  1667

Protein:   162 g

13 Day Change:     -3.0 lbs  (-1.4 kg)

plank -> hollow hold -> hanging leg raise -> dragon flag

|                                  `-> L sit -> V sit -> manna

V 

-> crow/frog stand -> wall assisted handstand -> handstand -> h.s. pushups

half squat -> assisted full squat -> full squat -> bulgarian split squat ->v

| 

v----------------------------------------------------------------<

`-> shrimp squat -> pistol squat -> weighted pistol squat

`-> jumping pistol squat

pushups -> straddle one arm pushups

arch up

candlestick

pullups

back lever

back bridge

backward tuck roll

forward tuck roll

tuck jump

cartwheel

added today

side split

"parkour" (pk) roll

pk precision jump

pk two-hand vault

quadrupedal movement

pk step vault

slacklining

butterfly stretch -> pancake -> laying bent knee center split ->v

| 

v--------------------------------------------------------<

`-> laying one bent knee c.s. -> laying c.s. -> sitting center split

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

Great stuff here Hazard.  I can't wait to hear what you think of that routine you just posted!  I also have the feeling I'll be getting into body weight type movements as well.  While I've been visiting in Sydney, I've tried some climbing, and it's a ton of fun.  And I've always wanted to use my weight training as a goal to increase my athleticism, which has been happening.  

Keep up the good work man!  It's been very enlightening to be part of your thread.

• Like 1

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

STR: 7 DEX: 5 STA: 2 CON: 5 WIS: 7 CHA: 6

Battle Log, Challenges: #1, #2, CURRENT

Great stuff here Hazard.  I can't wait to hear what you think of that routine you just posted!  I also have the feeling I'll be getting into body weight type movements as well.  While I've been visiting in Sydney, I've tried some climbing, and it's a ton of fun.  And I've always wanted to use my weight training as a goal to increase my athleticism, which has been happening.  

Keep up the good work man!  It's been very enlightening to be part of your thread.

I loved climbing everything as a kid.  I plan to recapture that part of my childhood.

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

Report for: Mar 10, 2014

Weight:    177.0 lbs  (80.3 kg)

Calories:  3637

Protein:   166 g

The increased calories for the day was expected from a planned outing.

Mission Objective #2: Cut until March 10th, then reassess. (complete; to be extended)

Current Weight:   177.0 lbs  (80.3 kg)

14 Day Change:     -4.2 lbs  (-1.9 kg)

It's reassess time.  I'm still carrying at least 6 lbs of fat (probably more) that I don't want.  None of my lifts are really suffering from the lower calories.  So I'll be continuing the cut.  Strict division shows me losing 2.1 lbs per week.  Other measurements suggest I may have lost up to 5 lbs of fat.  I take that with a grain of salt.  But assuming it's true and that my results stay consistent, then I'd need to keep cutting for another 3 weeks. My updated objective #2 will be to cut until March 31.

plank -> hollow hold -> hanging leg raise -> dragon flag

|                                  `-> L sit -> V sit -> manna

v 

-> crow/frog stand -> wall assisted handstand -> handstand -> h.s. pushups

half squat -> assisted full squat -> full squat -> bulgarian split squat ->v

| 

v--------------------------------------------------------------------<

`-> shrimp squat -> pistol squat -> weighted pistol squat

`-> jumping pistol squat

pushups -> straddle one arm pushups

butterfly stretch -> pancake -> laying bent knee center split ->v

| 

v--------------------------------------------------------<

`-> laying one bent knee c.s. -> laying c.s. -> sitting center split ->v

| 

v----------------------------------------------------------------------<

`-> straddle split leap

arch up

candlestick

pullups

backward tuck roll

forward tuck roll

tuck jump

cartwheel

"parkour" (pk) roll

pk precision jump

pk two-hand vault

quadrupedal movement

pk step vault

slacklining

added today

static bar hang -> hanging leg raise -> skin the cat -> german hang ->v

| 

v--------------------------------------------------------------<

`-> tuck back lever -> single leg tuck b.l. -> straddle b.l. -> back lever

short bridge -> straight bridge -> hands elevated bridge -> bridge ->v

| 

v-------------------------------------------------------------<

`-> bridge walkdown/walkup -> back bend ->v

| 

v-----------------------------------------<

`-> feet elevated bridge kickover -> bridge kickover ->

| 

v-----------------------------------------------------<

`-> back walkover -> (if I have handstand too) back handspring

knees bent elevated front foot stretch -> front leg straight e.f.f.s ->

| 

`-> legs straight e.f.f.s. -> hand supported front split ->

| 

v---------------------------------------------------------<

`-> front split -> wall assist rear knee bent (squared) split ->

| 

`-> oversplit

`-> standing/vertical split

`-> split leap

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

You have some great progressions! Have you thought about where you are interested in starting your work, or are you doing more of getting all of the options written down before you decide?

Just getting a list and trying to narrow it down to the basics.  The progressions were a happy by-product.

I'm not sure what skill paths I'll work on yet.   I'm going to play around and see what I can do, and what I find useful and fun.  I tried one of the things on the list today, and have a couple of videos to share once I get them uploaded somewhere.

• Like 1

I Stand With Gina Carano

I'm much the same, except that to me weightlifting isn't a focus, it's just another tool.  A fantastic tool when used well, but still just a tool.   One question to ask yourself might be: once you have strength and size, what are you going to do with it?

Get a summer job as a bouncer at the renaissance faire. It's not that they wouldn't take me now, I just want to look the part. Maybe star in a porno or two on the side *shrug*.

I actually just like lifting heavy things, so for me is the zen is with the iron. Most of my preferred year round pursuits are very sedentary. Strength has uses around the house and amongst my volunteer life; big is more or less a side effect. 

Congrats on Assassin though, lots of good people there. :)

• Like 2

Race: Kender Class: Warrior

Level:7

STR:25 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:13 | WIS:17 | CHA:14

Report for: Mar 11, 2014

Calories:  1676

Protein:   172 g

Mission Objective #2, extended: Cut until March 31st, then reassess.

15 Day Change:     -3.0 lbs  (-1.4 kg)

Mission Objective #3: Recon the 7 Nerd Fitness Guilds (complete!)

The list is too long to fully post each time.  Here's the new stuff for it.

hanging shoulder retractions

parallel bar dips

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines