First of Many!

First Challenge!

Main Goal: Get back into my size 4 jeans (Currently a size 8-10)

Goal 1: Learn how to perform the following lifts with good form:

-Squat

-Deadlift

-Overhead (military) press

-Bench press

Goal 2: Perform 3 consecutive pull-ups. I currently can't do any without assistance.

Goal 3: Start lifting regularly (to quantify, a "majority of the time") outside of the "Women's Zone" in my gym (there is limited equipment, but there are no scary bodybuilder type men either). 

Life Goal: Pay off our financed furniture and my credit card balance! 

I've been cleaning up my diet for the past month, drinking a lot of water, and started learning about different supplements and protein shakes and all that good stuff. Hopefully over the course of this challenge I will be much more at home in the weight section of my gym, and see pretty significant progress in my strength training.

• Like 4

"I am the hero of this story. I don't need to be saved."

Level 2 Half Wood Elf | Current Challenge  #1 l  Progress Album

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

You sound like a warrior in training like me. We have similar goals so wishing you all the best. Maybe you can try adding a small scoring system and reward for the end of the challenge eg. A= completing three (3) unassisted pull ups, reward= shopping for new jeans  :positive:

Bodybuilder-type men aren't that scary usually, I promise. The biggest problem is that they try to be over-helpful, so they might give you bad form advice. I've found that just saying "Oh, this is how I was trained and I'd like to stick with it" or "I've heard a lot of of conflicting advice, and I'd like to keep with my training" and continuing about your business works really well. 

Most are either very into whatever program THEY are working on and don't even try to speak to you and the rest get used to seeing you around pretty quickly if you're regular about it. :)

Welcome to the Rebellion! :)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Good luck on your goals and challenges, I have to say all the lifting is so far out for me right now...I do admire those who can!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE adjusts

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 68

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

For learning technique, there are vids around here and you can also submit vids for people to check on form.

For pull-ups, work on your back muscles. They are doing the work moreso than the arms. A lot of people don't seem to realize that.  Also, to activate your back muscles, look directly up when you do the pull-up.   Good luck and have fun :)

I know the challenge hasn't officially started yet, but I had a pretty eventful night at the gym. I had my bodyfat and weight done, which I have been dreading. The results were actually WORSE than I thought they would be (162# and 40% bodyfat...ouch). But I also ventured out of the ladies part of the gym into the free weights, which was full of some pretty bro-tastic individuals. I managed to locate the squat racks and the deadlift bar, although somebody was using that, so I improvised! I took a barbell with pre-weighted ends and stacked it up on top of some plates and deadlifted that, which was pretty cool. So here's a break-down of what I accomplished last night:

- Squat (bar) - 5x5

- Modified Deadlift (50#) - 5x5

- Bench Press (bar) - 5x5

- Barbell row (30#) - 5x5

- Assisted pull-up (70 lb assistance) - 3x5

Some core floor work, and a lot of stretching. It felt like a pretty good workout...so hopefully I'll see some progress in the next few weeks! I really wish I had another girl to lift with who knew her way around my gym...but maybe that will come with time.

• Like 5

Woohoo I dig your challenge! I´m trying to get into weightlifting too. Are you doing the stronglifts5x5 program? Congrats on getting into the bro-zone. I was at the gym yesterday trying to get the courage up but I didn´t. Reading your update makes me want to try again this week. Did someone show you how to use the weights? Or did you figure it out on your own? 

eleven

wannabe warrior

my first challenge

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

Woohoo I dig your challenge! I´m trying to get into weightlifting too. Are you doing the stronglifts5x5 program? Congrats on getting into the bro-zone. I was at the gym yesterday trying to get the courage up but I didn´t. Reading your update makes me want to try again this week. Did someone show you how to use the weights? Or did you figure it out on your own? 

I'm generally following the SL5x5...it's such a simple plan, and the app on my phone makes it really easy to track progress while I'm in the gym. On the side, I'm working on my pull-ups, and doing core work because my core strength is super pitiful right now. I found it was easiest to just pretend like I knew what I was doing...fake it till you make it! I watched a lot of instructional videos, and made sure I lifted by the mirrors to make sure my form was OK. I plan on posting some form videos in the near future to the forums to see what everybody thinks and get some feedback. I felt like a total creeper, but watching some of the more experienced lifters is actually super helpful...it all makes a lot more sense once you see it in person. Don't be scared! Just do it! It's a lot easier once you're in the middle of it all.

I took a break from lifting this weekend, and it was good for my body I think. I took the time instead to focus on my shopping list for the week and continuing to clean up the diet. I bought:

-8 chicken breasts

-wild caught salmon fillets

-canned tuna

-canned salmon

-avocados

-spinach/kale/arugula

-asparagus

-broccoli

-dried seaweed (surprisingly tasty)...

-bacon

-hardboiled eggs

-regular eggs

-low-carb protein powder

-string cheese

Headed back to the gym tonight, starting the second routine for 5x5! 

• Like 1

I would call today a fairly resounding success. 

What I ate:

Breakfast: Low-Carb protein shake

Snack: 1/2 Avocado, hardboiled egg

Lunch: Grilled Salmon Fattoush Salad

Snack: 1/2 Avocado, hardboiled egg, string cheese

Post-workout: Low-Carb protein shake

Dinner: Tuna w/ mayo, celery with PB

Workout:

-Squat: 5x5 at 65#

-Deadlift: 5x5 at 65#

-OHP: 3x5 at 65#

-Pullups: 2x5 at 70# assistance

-Jump Lunges: 2 sets of 12

-Walking Kettlebell Squats: 2 sets of 12

-Some core mat work

-mobility/foam roller

I overcame another huge fear tonight: I asked somebody for help on my deadlift form. I saw a guy by himself finishing up his deadlifting sets, and walked right up to him and asked him to show me how to do it and help out with form troubleshooting. It was really helpful, and he had some great pointers on how to utilize my legs better. I got some weird looks from the guys in the surrounding area, but it was a huge relief to get that over with. 

Today was day 2 of the Keto diet...I feel really weird, sluggish, and it showed in the little progress I made in my lifts. But I think that if I give it a week, the keto flu will let up. I'll keep y'all updated!

• Like 5

I like your goals! I want to be able to do pullups too. Have you seen the article Steve wrote about progressing up to pullups? I'm currently doing a mix of bent over dumbbell rows and inverted bodyweight rows.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to core weakness, unfortunately. If we stick to our lifting programs I'm sure it'll change for both of us with time and effort.

Good luck!

Level 2 Dwarf Assassin | STR 3 DEX 2 STA 2 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2

Current Challenge: Climb More, Eat Better, Make Music

My Battle Log: Lift Climb Run Farm

It is only day one and it looks like you are already killing it. I love your lc shopping list, your meals look really great, and I can't believe how awesome it is that you approached someone at the gym for form help!!!!!! You are doing great. Keep up the fantastic work.

I've heard that a little salty broth can help with the LC flu. Hope it doesn't last too long...

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Thanks for the kind words guys :) And TyrantLizard, thats a great article!

Hopefully the LC flu will subside this week. But in my mind, it's worth it. It reminds me of when I went vegetarian when I was 14 (stuck with it for 7 years). If I just quit something cold turkey, then its sooo much easier. Buh-bye carbs! 

I'm so sore this morning. It hurts so good.

It's been an interesting 24 hours...

As of day four, I believe that I'm in Ketosis. Still in the induction phase, but all the symptoms are there which is pretty exciting. I discovered that drinking a powerade zero helped with the flu symptoms SO much. I'm going to go buy a big pack of it for the office and gym. 

Meals:

Breakfast: Protein Shake

Snack: Almonds and dried seaweed

Snack: Avocado

Lunch: Grilled Chicken & Spinach/Kale/Arugula Salad with roasted red pepper vinigarette

Snack: 2 hardboiled eggs & string cheese

Dinner: Scrambled eggs w/ Muenster and bacon

.....aaaand that was all 1400 calories. AWESOME.

I took it easy at the gym last night, and did a lot of mobility work and about a half hour of pilates type floor work. 

Have a good day everybody!

• Like 2

.....aaaand that was all 1400 calories. AWESOME.

I don't know your stats, but just wanted to say beware of eating too little. 1400 is low if you're working out hard every day. Even if you have a weight loss goal, cutting too much at once often does more bad than good. 

For comparison, I eat an average of 2000-2300 calories per day and still lose weight. I think I'm quite a bit bigger than you (you said you're a size 8-10 I think, and I'm 12-14) but still, make sure you've run your numbers to ensure you're eating enough. Better to lose a bit slower but preserve lean mass as much as possible.

• Like 1

I don't know your stats, but just wanted to say beware of eating too little. 1400 is low if you're working out hard every day. Even if you have a weight loss goal, cutting too much at once often does more bad than good. 

For comparison, I eat an average of 2000-2300 calories per day and still lose weight. I think I'm quite a bit bigger than you (you said you're a size 8-10 I think, and I'm 12-14) but still, make sure you've run your numbers to ensure you're eating enough. Better to lose a bit slower but preserve lean mass as much as possible.

I agree with you...I'm just having a hard time eating any more than that and not feeling like I'm going to throw up because of how full I am. I'm only like 5'1"...so fairly small in stature. I think I'm going to get some coconut oil and heavy cream for coffee...that will probably help some. Or add another protein shake. What do you generally eat in a day?

I agree with you...I'm just having a hard time eating any more than that and not feeling like I'm going to throw up because of how full I am. I'm only like 5'1"...so fairly small in stature. I think I'm going to get some coconut oil and heavy cream for coffee...that will probably help some. Or add another protein shake. What do you generally eat in a day?

Yeah, I've heard other people say the same thing. There are many ways to get your calories up without feeling stuffed, though...I think olive oil is my favourite (120cal for one tbsp, healthy, and makes veggies taste amazing), but there are a lot of nutritious calorically dense foods. Looks like you're already eating nuts and avocados. Nut butters are good too. Do you like yams? I don't do paleo, so I also drink whole fat milk and I eat cheese sometimes. 

I work on a vegetable farm so I tend to eat a lot of fruit and veggies. Pretty much any you can think of, including many uncommon ones. I usually have either chicken or seafood each day and red meat about twice per week. Lots of olive oil and butter used in cooking. I drink milk and eat yoghurt and cottage cheese from a local farm. I don't often eat bread or pasta (can't refuse the odd croissant from a real French bakery, though) but I do eat a lot of beans and lentils. I eat rice if I'm having curry, but otherwise not. Lots of nuts, berries, eggs, dark chocolate, red wine. Those are all my staples, I guess. I don't eat fast food and I almost never eat packaged food, but I do go out to dinner at a nice place 2-3 times per month and we sometimes have pancakes on a weekend day. I have dessert once in a while but try to keep the portions small. I pretty much never have any trouble getting up to my calorie goal, haha. I should note that I am fortunate enough to live with a great cook who likes to cook for fun, which makes my life a lot easier.

Edited to add: There are a bunch of different ways to plan your diet, so just do your research and try different things until something clicks for you. Beware of anyone who is certain they have all the answers or is sure that their diet is absolutely the best and should be adopted by everyone.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines