Back to Fat Loss

Yellowjacket

Getting a flu is frustrating.  Nothing makes gains melt away like this.
The plan is to get back on whole foods, nail macros, sleep, and drop off 6lbs of bodyfat.

• Like 1

Simple and to the point, love it and may steal it. :playful: Because this would be why I don't have a thread up yet. :nevreness:

SUB'D!!! ;)

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

sub 244lb weigh in today a week post flu.

I feel a bit bloated but I'll be nailing my macros now my stomach is feeling a bit better.
Plan:  Workout, Sleep, Eat right.  200g protein per day, whole foods, no refined sugars.   I think the next two cuts after this will be a bit more extreme.

So, injury list.  A few things have started to sort themselves out.  My deadlifts have been feeling better as has my back.  The knees are hit and miss but I'll try to work with it as best I can.
Right brachioradialis got strained lifting a suitcase at a weird angle.  (D'OH)  It doesn't feel good so heavy rows / curls are out of the picture for a bit.  I'll work around this as best I can.  My right wrist is getting sore again and I blame problems with my cello bow hold.  Going to try to sort this out...

Back to work!!!  
Target weight 238lbs end of challenge.  I put on some muscle since the first challenge so my LBM should be somewhat stable, especially going into spring / summer.  The goal will be to cut for the summer.  I hope to hit 225lbs / 38 inch waist by then!  It's DOABLE, I've done it before!  

Oats & Eggs breakfast.  Going to be aiming for that 200g protein per day and lot of fluids / fresh veggies / sleep.  7 Hours + a nice should be good.

The baby is 'sleep training' now so we should have more regularity and less random crying fits.  Now they become controlled and predictable crying fits at approx the same time every night.  I'll do a workout today and keep you posted on how the macros / etc go.

Good luck!  Have you found that lifting interferes with stuff like holding a cello bow correctly? 

Not exactly.  Here's the thing, generally the grip strengthening stuff is the worst, especially for playing piano.  Being a pianist and a weightlifter at the same time is probably not advisable since it can really ruin one's touch.

The effects of training on being a string player is more subtle.  Shoulder injuries potentially can be a huge pain as can excess tension.  The biggest problems I've found are with recovery since weight training places a strain on the body which can compound a strain placed on other muscles.  

Examples: 1)  I was doing high intensity training and I probably pushed it too far during reverse grip cable tricep extensions.  The forearm extensors were overextended  (In hindsight, I suspect rhabdo) and at the same time, I was trying to practice 3 instruments all at once with little to no break.  The overextended muscles ended up being damaged to the point that I developed an RSI that took two years to really recover from, at least to 90%.  As a result of this, I refrain from doing some really productive movements because I can't afford to re-injure myself.  The clean / press is something I wish I could keep up with but it is not something I want to risk.  

2)  The right wrist can become compromised because of bicep training.  The bow hold is annoying and if I 'dig in' too much, the tendons / ligaments in the wrist can become fatigued and begin to develop tendonitis.  Doing motions like preacher curls can greatly aggravate this.  

3) If my right shoulder becomes injured it will impact my bowing, this can't be helped.

Basically, any aches, pings, soreness, or any residual minor injury is amplified by weight training and by playing.  Things get tired from rigorous practicing and things also get tired from rigorous weight lifting.  If I was a professional performer, I'd probably be even more careful than I am with the training.  Being a professional composer and serious albeit amateur performer means that I can take a break when necessary.  It's really handy!  

Universal CHEST DAY!

Dumbbell Flyes / 45 sec rest between sets.

Warmup

20lbs x 30

25 x 15

25 x 12.  WAY down from before weight wise but I'm still feeling a bit weak.

Bench Press

120lbs x 10

140lbs x 10

160lbs x 10

Incline DB press.

40lbs x 10

40lbs x 10.

It was a good workout even if my strength hasn't really come back yet.

Meal #2

1 can of tuna

1/2 can refried beans. (Pretty much mashed pinto beans in a can)

1/2 avocado  (the rest was rotton)

1/2 cup pistachios.

Post Workout.

2 scoops muscletech whey protein plus.  4TBSP cocoa powder.  1 TSP Honey.  

Currently thawing 2 chicken breasts for dinner.  Going to make up the rest of my protein here!

Macros for yesterday.  

KCal  2488

CHO 240g

PRO 201.5

Fat 85g

DONE!

Onto today!
Oats / Eggs breakfast.  

1 Cup of oats cooked in water

1 cup Raspberries

3 eggs cooked with a tablespoon of butter.

Back day, more on that later.

Looking good YJ! Back on track!  :encouragement:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Yesterday's back workout:

deadlifts x 5

250lbs

Still 'light' but I need to work on form more.

straight arm lat pulldowns.  30lbs x 20

Straight arm pullovers.  40lbs x 20

pulldowns.

12 x 70lbs / 70lbs

Rows

8 x 90lbs

8 x 70lbs

8 x 50lbs  (Stupid forearm injury)

shrugs 40lbs x 10, 10.

Macros  
kcal 2510

protein 212.7g

carb 260.5g

fat 76g

Going to attempt and arm workout today.  Working on my research and shopping (used) for a guitar.  

Macros for yesterday.
KCal 2388

Carbs 195.4g

Protein 204.4g

Fat 107.2g

Arm workout.  Can't remember exactly...  
There were some one arm curls.  20lbs x 30, 12, 8
Barbell curls 40lbs x 12, 50lbs x 10, 55 x 8, 60 x 6.  

Pushdowns 40 x 30, 18, 10
French Press

60lbs x 10, 10, 3, 5.

Then I did static holds with 10lbs and then 15lbs, trying to strengthen the right brachioradialis.  I'll probably start working some 5 x 5s into my training soon just to work on synergy between muscles.  Isolation work tends to cause weird strains here and there, even if it does build muscle well.  

Legs!

Squats.

5 x

bar

70lbs

120lbs

140lbs

160lbs

180lbs.

Starting to feel the weight a bit but knees don't feel TOO weird.  

Leg curls  (Bench attachment)
30lbs x 20

40lbs x 15, 15

Stiff Legged Deadlifts.

120lbs x 12, 12  (Light weight to keep from overloading the low back after deads on back day.  I learned that lesson already so I use pre fatigue with the leg curls to keep things manageable and hit the target muscle)

leg extensions 40lbs x 10, 20.

I'm not really pushing to failure yet.  The squat form is still a bit shaky, oh well.  At least the back is doing well, it's a good starting point.  

I wonder when I'll ever be done my form work.  Probably never.  

Glad to hear the knees and back are holding up! Doing well YJ!  :)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

I deadlifted 300lbs last back workout.  It's the most I've pulled since I started my form work and my knees started bugging me.  It felt fine.  I just need to keep practicing form at this point.

I did 3 workouts this past week which is good with everything going on so far.  I've got a gig and I'm really excited about it.  I have to get it done quickly.

I've been nailing my macros mostly but I need to be tighter Fri - Sun with the eating.  It's been turning into 'cheat days' which I don't like.

I weighed in at 242.6lbs this afternoon.  I'll try again tomorrow morning for a proper dry weight. 

Sorry for the fragmented thoughts, I'm feeling a bit all over the place. 

• Like 1

YAY for progress and the gig YJ! And awesome on the deadlift! :triumphant:

I know what you mean about the Fri-Sun things, I catch myself wanting to do the same thing. :nevreness:

Have a great weekend!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Legs!

Did a pre-emptive set of leg curls and then dug into squats.

Got up to an easy 200lbs x 5 reps on squats.  Things are starting to feel better and I'm beginning to learn my squat form improvements which really helps.  I'll start adding weight eventually but it's going to have to be a slow / incremental process on both the squats and deadlifts, that is if I want to reach my eventual goal of a 405 deadlift.

Did some leg curls, stiff leg deadlifts, and some calf raises.  Legs feel good and tired.  I'm still only pushing around 75% on legs but the thought of a re-injury makes me feel sick to my stomach.  No thanks.  Slow and methodical is always best!!

Other than this, I'm drowning in work right now.  It's good but I need to get it done at some point!  **PHEW**  Macros are good when I remember to log them.  When I don't I more or less know my portions so I don't think I'm that far off.

Have a great week folks!

• Like 1

Awesome! :encouragement:  Sounds like you are doing what is good and smart for you. (nods)

Hope the work goes smoothly, and an awesome week to you too!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Delt day (yesterday) and Chest day  (today) done.

BP

160 x 10 reps

180 x 10 reps

200 x 8 reps.  

Pretty good the day after delt day.

Some very high rep / light flyes and incline dumbbell press following this.

I need to sleep more.  Time changes are always tricky for me 

• Like 1

Hate the time changes. I think i would be ok, but it seriously messes up the kiddos. :nightmare:

Good work YJ!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

240lbs this morning.  It's going down!!  It's as I figured, the recomp happened first and how the fat loss is quite stable. 

Started feeling better at the beginning of the week and then got smoked again Wed.  Haven't been able to eat much good food because I can't handle it well yet but I'm going to get back to business as soon as possible.  It suuuucks.  

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines