I have to start somewhere

Main Quest:  Climb Mount Rainier by 2017

For the next six weeks I will get closer to this goal by:

• ·Getting up on time, every single day.  I like to work out in the morning and I can’t do that if I over sleep and am running late.  This will be graded on a straight percentage, there are 42 days in 6 weeks, the number of days I get up on time divided by 42 will give me a percentage, the -percentage will be graded on a standard scale (90-100 A; 80-90 B; 70-80 C; 60-70 D; <60 F)
  • Do some form of strength training twice per week.  This will also be graded on a percentage on what I call "the chemistry curve" (85-100 – A; 75-85 – B; 60-75 – C; 50-60 – D, <50 – F)  I had several chemistry professors grade on this curve and I like it for something that is going to be challenging
  • Do a 45 minute yoga routine at least once per week.  Flexibility has always been an issue for me and I noticed recently that I’ve lost almost all of the flexibilityin my hamstrings and lower back that I had gained when I was practicing yoga regularly, I want that back for climbing, a challenge that will be coming in the future.  This will be graded pass/fail. 

Life Quest: Take a navigation class to improve map and compass navigation skills

• Like 1

Level 2 Half Sprite Witch Assassin

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Good luck with your goals and challenges!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE in 2022

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 65

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

That sounds like a great goal! I wish you all of the best! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me, I'm an Ambassador for the Assassins so at the very least, I can find someone who can help you achieve your goals! I'll help you in any way I can!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Thank you everyone.  

I realize that climbing a mountain, especially the most bad ass mountain in the continental US is a truly epic quest, that's what makes it a goal worth having :) 

To better answer your questions let me give you some background on where I'm starting from. I spent the greater part of my adolescence eschewing any sort of physical activity, good genes are the only thing that has saved me from having a massive amount of weight to lose.  (5'7" 148 lb).  I have, however, always had a great love for the outdoors.  I can quote myself as saying "I can't run a mile, but I can walk all day."  That's still true, I can throw down on a 10 mile hike, with gear, at this elevation (892 ft); but I can't run for more than about 5 minutes, my cardio conditioning is terrible, and two weeks ago my "strength training routine" consisted of pushing 50 lb bird cages around once a week to mop the floor at the parrot shelter where I volunteer.  

I'm using this first 6 week challenge to get in the habit of training regularly.  I'm also working on mapping out the quest with appropriate milestones for myself, so that I have a bunch of mini goals, because those things are important.  

I'm starting with the NF BBWW, primarily because it requires basically no equipment and the idea of being a master of my body weight appeals to me.  I left this goal fairly open intentionally because I want to try a few things and see if there's something I like best.  

Update/Check-in: I have succeeded at getting up on time so far both days (The first day was a vacation day so a little free, but I had a snowshoe to get in before we headed home, so up by 7 anyway).  I have 45 mins of yoga planned for tonight.  So it's been two days and I'm on track.  

Thank Sea Level.

Day 4 Check In:

So Far I'm 4/4 for getting up on time.  This is awesome.

I did 45 mins of yoga on Tuesday Night, I remember now that I love yoga, it's awesome.  (note to self, do more yoga in the future)

First real attempt at the BBWW for strength training this morning.  I tried the Circuit thing.  

Squats 20 20 20

Push Ups 6\4 0\10 1\9

Lunges 14 14 13

Dumbell Rows 10 @ 15lb 10 @ 15lb 10 @ 15LB

Plank 15s 15s 15s

Jumping Jacks 30 30 30

• Squats:  I'm okay with this level of squats, it's a struggle towards the end of each set
  • Push ups: Wow, I suck at push-ups.  The system there is Regular\knee.  Also I'm pretty sure my form sucked.  Now that I've done some research on how to properly do a push up I think I'm going to back up to wall push ups and work my way back down concentrating on form
  • Lunges: 14 walking lunges is across the gym and back, also these kick my butt.  I'm going to keep working them and look for some progress, Also I can feel that these are some of the muscles I use when I'm hiking uphill, so that's fun
  • Dumbell Rows: I picked 15 lbs because it felt heavy but not too heavy.  I need to go up in weight.  Next time I'll do 25 lb.  
  • Plank: This wasn't too challenging, I'm going to go for 20s sets next time
  • Jumping Jacks: What can I say about these?  They're jumping jacks, it was -12 Degrees F when I got to the gym this morning, jumping jacks felt awesome, also that quick movement after a bunch of slow deliberate stuff felt great.

Now I need to figure out how to hack my cell reception so I can get pandora anywhere in the gym and not just on the treadmill (seriously, annoying)

I don't think I'm going to get a second BBWW session in this week.  I might fit three in next week, We'll see how much this weekend kicks my butt.  Weekends are for snowshoeing/hiking/not being in the gym, that's not something I'm willing to compromise for this challenge because that's key to my primary quest, and a reminder of why I do all of this.  

• Like 1

Great job assessing your weaknesses in your workout, there are quite a few people who lack that sort of ability! And now that you know where you're weakest, you can now start focusing on building up that strength!

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Week One Update

• Get up on time.  I'm going to give myself half credit for this morning, technically I was up on time, but I hadn't finished prepping for this morning last night so I ended up running slightly late anyway.  I could cheat and give myself full credit, but I'm approaching my training with a daily reminder:  "If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself".  So no cheating.  So I'm at 7.5/8 on this goal, Still an "A", but not a "100%"
  • I did my second round of the BBWW this morning.  SInce I only did one last week I'll call that 1/2 so right now I'm at either 2/4, or 2/3.  Either way I need to get another of these in this week, targeting Wednesday
  • Squats 20 20 16

Incline Push Ups 7 10 10(wall)

Lunges 15  15  10

Dumbell Rows 10 @ 25lb 10 @ 25lb 10 @ 25LB

Plank 20s 20s 20s

Jumping Jacks 30 30 30

• I ended early on the last round of squats and lunges early because I could feel them aggravating something I did to my hip snowshoeing yesterday.  I need to find something in my gym with an incline slightly higher than the weight bench I used for my incline pushups.  25lbs is probably the right weight for the rows, right now, I start struggling at 7 on each set.  I feel good about where I am with plank right now, I'll probably look at upping that time again next week or so.  
  • So this weekend was pretty great, none of these relate to my challenge specific goals, but both relate to my primary quest.
  • Friday night the wife and I hit up the climbing gym, also every Friday is "Ladies night" so we can climb for half price.  That's nice.  We both passed the belay test, so we can belay each other, awesome.  I lasted about and hour, switching out, before my fingers gave up.  Successfully scaled the beginner's wall, and made it about 3/4 of the way up a 5.6 before my fingers decided they were done with me.  
  • Saturday was a rest day, theoretically a "clean the house day" but that didn't really happen
  • Sunday we did 2.2 miles on our snowshoes.  It was very cold but there were robins in the woods (a sure sign that it's getting close to almost spring).  

• I'm more sore right now than I think I've been, ever.  Does that ever get better?  Or do you just adjust to having sore things all of the time?  At least I'm learning which muscles I use for which activities and which gym exercises work them, right?
  • Like 2

• I'm more sore right now than I think I've been, ever.  Does that ever get better?  Or do you just adjust to having sore things all of the time?  At least I'm learning which muscles I use for which activities and which gym exercises work them, right?

It gets better.

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Have any mountains to climb in mind for the end of your challenge?

Sorry, this goal excites me...I love mountains. Haha

I also love mountains.  Sadly I live in the flat flat Midwest (I grew up 30 minutes from the nearest decent sledding hill, taking the sled down the big slide at the park is one of my childhood highlight memories) so mountains are something I find on vacation.  Until I can figure out a way to support myself, and my parrots, while living near actual mountains.  

I do, however, have a couple of more local, slightly more metaphorical, mountains on the agenda for this spring/summer.

• I want to finish the hike to Devil's Kettle Falls.  This was the first hike my wife and I ever went on together, we were woefully under-prepared, we made it to the base of the final staircase to the falls, gave up and turned back, probably the right decision at the time, but we need to go back and finish that trail (damnit)
  • I'd also like to summit (I guess you can call a 2300 foot hill a summit) Eagle Mountain, the highest "peak" in Minnesota.
  • There are about 4 outdoor climbing spots within a decent distance of where I live, I'm going to visit at least one of them this summer, knowing myself and how much I love climbing, I may very well visit all three, my climbing gym offers learning to climb workshops at three of them.

I like this idea of looking at my goal as metaphorical mountains that need to be climbed, thank you for that.  Maybe it will make the lunges and squats less arduous if I think of them as mountains.  

I went to school in Illinois...so I know the torture of flat land and missing the mountains...

Now I live in Denver and get to at least look at them every day! most beautiful sight ever!

The Devil's Kettle Falls looks like a nice, pretty hike! And highest point in the state is something! Now if it isn't a difficult trail, it might not be too tough, but a lot can happen in a 2300ft ascent! And outdoor climbing is definitely the best! It's cool to accomplish a tough wall, but when you actually conquer a cliff! That feels AMAZING!

Also, seriously when you get further into your training and want to work on some elevation stuff, if you were interested you could plan a trip to Denver and let me know! We have plenty of stuff to hike for all difficulty levels and when you start at a mile up, it's definitely good elevation training. Haha

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: #1, 2

Battle Log

Okay, so  end of week two check in (33% complete)

• Getting up on time.  This is going amazingly well.  I thought I would struggle with this one a lot, but it's been pretty easy.
  • My BBWW yesterday kind of kicked my ass. 
  • Squats 20 17 11

Knee Push Ups 8 6 7

Lunges 15  15  12.5 (possible because I do walking lunges and count per step)

Dumbell Rows 10 @ 25lb 10 @ 25lb 10 @ 25LB

Plank 20s 20s 20s

Jumping Jacks 30 30 30

• My legs felt terrible, I'm not sure if it's because I sat almost all day Tuesday and Wednesday (usually my job is about 50/50 sitting/standing, or because I wore heels both of those days (If I have to sit all day I'm going to dress up and look good while I do it), or if my body is rebelling on this idea that we're going to work on it this much.  Nothing to do but keep at it, it's got to turn around at some point, right?

• On the plus side the soreness seems to have abated somewhat, I'm still sore like I did something yesterday but not the "omg, I'm going to die, let me just lie here and not move or touch anything" sore.  

• I'm not going to get 45 mins of continuous yoga in this week, I'm prioritizing my strength training, jog/walking and going to the climbing gym over it, I'm okay with this.  I think I'm going to change this goal.  Instead of trying to slide a 45 minute yoga class into my week I"m going to try to slide a 10-15 minute yoga routine into my morning workout.  That way if I hit 4 gym days a week (where I'm tracking right now) I'll get 40-60 minutes of yoga in.  

• Sidequest: My navigation class is this Sunday, and I found my compass this weekend (apparently I took it canoeing at some point last summer and decided the waterproof box was the best place to store it (true in the canoe, less true in the house), thinking about this I know exactly which trip it went missing on and how it ended up there).  Learning new skills makes my nerd brain happy

• Additional sidequest: I am 2.5 miles short of putting 30 miles on my snowshoes this year, planning on icing that out on Sunday (after Nav Class)

• Like 2

Great job TMAC, You're making progress, the pain is sometimes natural, so don't worry too much about it, so long as your instincts tell you to stop, then you should stop :P

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Okay, Midweek check in

• I bailed after half of my workout this morning, I actually feel pretty terrible about this, I'm going to see if I can complete the workout at home tonight.  There was one other person in the gym and he was giving me the creeps, I actually did my stretching in the ladies locker room.  I think if I work on getting started earlier I should be able to finish before he shows up, also if I'm just running it bothers me less.  I'll have to watch for patterns in his behavior.
  • Pretty active weekend, conquered my first 5.7 at the climbing gym on Friday night, also set up a regular climbing date with my wife so that will be fun.  I'll probably add some challenges there in the future
  • Nav class was a success on Sunday morning, also we succeeded in going to REI and not buying anything, wait, no, we bought lunch (bar type things)
  • Put in 3.2 miles on the snowshoes on Sunday afternoon (taking advantage of the "later" sunset), that pushed us over 30 miles on the year.  It's nice, when you have equipment, to feel like you're getting full use out of it, especially since it's seasonal and spends at least half the year on the high shelf in the closet.  
  • Got in 3.2 miles of urban hiking (it's the distance around a small lake near our house), it's a paved trail, one we use for quick weeknight "hikes".  Wore the dogs out, that the fastest we've had them moving since fall.  

So that's where I am.  I'm still worrying at my yoga goal, but I've got 45 mins planned for Friday morning, so maybe I just need to look at my week and decide how to fit the yoga in.  

• Like 1

You still have 4 more weeks to get it in, just dedicate some time to pencil it in :P

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines