Little & Mighty

elinox

I joined NF towards the end of the first challenge of the year and have been itching to get in on one. Now, with the February 24th date looming, it's time to bring it!

Main Quest

To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My Motivation

I’ve come to a point where I want to gain muscle and become stronger while continuing with my fitness lifestyle. I’ve been successful at dropping weight, but now I want to be more aware of how to tone up.

3 Smaller Quests

1.   Become stronger by doing one of these:

a. double my body weight in a sled squat (282lbs); or,  

b. bar squat at 100lbs

2.   Become stronger by doing 45lbs in a barbell curl, each arm.

3.   Eat healthier by cutting down on the sweet treats to 2-3 times in the 5 day week.

Current Stats

Height: 5’3â€

Weight: 141lbs

Battle Plan

1.    Continue going to the gym 3-4 times per week. Hopefully upping that to 4-5 times per week with doing weights MWF.

2.    The plan is to add 5 pounds per exercise as long as I get to 3 sets of at least 6 reps the week before. 

Ex: Week 1 = barbell curl at 25 pounds for 3 sets of 6 --> Successful? Go onto Week 2. If not successful, rinse and repeat. 
                    Week 2 = barbell curl at 30 pounds for 3 sets of 6

Week 3 = barbell curl at 35 pounds for 3 sets of 6

3.    Ideally eating desserts only TTR in the 5 day week. (Accept for next Wednesday as that's my birthday!)

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"And though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare

• Like 4

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Great challenge. You sound like a warrior. If you have any questions you can ask them there. It works lol. Good luck.

I do? *blinks* I had thought I'd be joining the rangers for my second challenge (positive thinking on completing #1 first!). Maybe I should consider picking things up and putting them down? 

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Well, if I had to consider only your goals for this challenge, I would indeed say that Warriors would suit you. Then again, you're never committed to life with any guilds, you can spend one level with the warriors then decide to visit the scouts before heading to the rangers. Guilds hopping is totally acceptable :)

Ultimately, it will depend on you and if you wish to specialize with lifting heavy or do a little bit of everything. If you don't mind, I'm adding the tags Warrior and Ranger to your thread so that the guilds leaders and ambassadors of these guilds can find you more easily.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Ultimately, it will depend on you and if you wish to specialize with lifting heavy or do a little bit of everything. If you don't mind, I'm adding the tags Warrior and Ranger to your thread so that the guilds leaders and ambassadors of these guilds can find you more easily.

Cool, thanks! At this point at least, I think I'd like to specialize in a little bit of everything. Although I have thought about trying different guilds since each one has something unique I'm after! (Too many good options, really!)

Current Challenge: 

I like the goals but I'm curious how you are going to track your weekly progress. I usually create a points system for myself so I have some way of grading as I go.

1) Find your starting numbers and get the difference. Divide that by the 6 weeks and it should give you a goal to hit each week.

2) Same as 1)

3) Give yourself 20 points a week. Take away 5 for each sweet treat during the work week. 10 points left A, 5 points left B, 0 Points left C for the week.

These are just suggestions others may have a better way of tracking your goals.

â•”â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¦â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¦â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¤â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•—
â•‘  Level 2      â•‘   Stats    â•‘   Challenges   │     Support     â•‘
â•‘  Dwarf        â• â•â•â•â•â•â•¤â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¬â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•ªâ•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•£
â•‘               â•‘ Str │   3  â•‘  2nd Challenge │  The Wild Hunt  â•‘
â•‘  Adventurer 2 â•‘ Dex │   1  â•‘  1st Challenge │  Browncoats     â•‘
â•‘               â•‘ Sta │   4  â•‘  3rd Challenge │  Rivendell Walk â•‘
â•‘               â•‘ Con │   5  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â• â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•£ Wis │   3  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â•‘   Food Log    â•‘ Cha │   3  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â•šâ•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•©â•â•â•â•â•â•§â•â•â•â•â•â•â•©â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•§â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•

Body fat % averaged from 3 sources. Calculator 1Calculator 2 ,Handheld Electric Measurement

I like the goals but I'm curious how you are going to track your weekly progress. I usually create a points system for myself so I have some way of grading as I go.

I had thought to track it the same way I've been in my personal records, after every workout, post the reps and weight.

Targilnar, on 19 Feb 2014 - 2:22 PM, said:

1) Find your starting numbers and get the difference. Divide that by the 6 weeks and it should give you a goal to hit each week.
2) Same as 1)

3) Give yourself 20 points a week. Take away 5 for each sweet treat during the work week. 10 points left A, 5 points left B, 0 Points left C for the week.

You know me and numbers, we're not buddies. So instead of a point system like you used, I'd thought I would grade myself at the end of the challenge based on whether I completed my goals or, if not, how close I got. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Good luck with your goals...have to laugh at the "me and numbers, we're not buddies" comment (I'm working towards my masters of accountancy) ;)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Just curious; the first 2 goals seem like end-game and not quite planned out.  Are you trying to work out 3x a week to be able to do those things?  The goal should usually have a type of plan to follow over the 6 week course.  As long as you're a little more specific, it looks good.  :)

Good luck and have fun :)

Just curious; the first 2 goals seem like end-game and not quite planned out.  Are you trying to work out 3x a week to be able to do those things?  The goal should usually have a type of plan to follow over the 6 week course.  As long as you're a little more specific, it looks good.  :)

Good luck and have fun :)

I think I mentioned it in my intro thread, but I've been working out consistently at a gym for almost a year now (with going to a gym on and off for the past 4 years before that). And since November I've been doing serious weight lifting. I don't intend to change my normal routine of going to the gym 3-4 times per week so I didn't mention it. If anything, I'll be upping it to 4-5 times per week hopefully! Suppose I should have given specifics on how I intend to work towards my minor quests. I do have it planned out, just neglected to say. 

And thanks! :)

Current Challenge: 

Glad to see you're so stoked about the challenge!

You definitely have some solid goals too :)

I'll agree with what has been said regarding your goals being those of a warrior.  But that's the great thing about NF, you're not tied to one class unless you want to be!  Many of us will bounce to another class as a visitor for a challenge.  So don't be afraid to look around and bounce where life takes you.

-KiltedCowboy

Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." -John Wayne

Rev. 22:1-5

Confederate Thrower of Heavy Stuff

Lt. WFD - 37'9" | Hvy. WFD - 16'8" | Braemar Stone - 21'0" | Open Stone - 28'7

WOB - ? | Lt. Hammer - 71'7"| Hvy. Hammer - ? | Sheaf - ? | Caber - ?

Welcome, fellow Hunter!!! I heartily approve of picking things up and putting them down :D But if you have trouble deciding on any one fitness style for any length of time, the Rangers may well be for you. As others have said, you're not really tied to any one guild. You have all the time in the world to figure it out. In the meantime, have fun!!!!!

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

First day of the challenge was a success: I went to the gym and lifted heavy things! I'm now going to be doing that MWF instead of TF so rawr! I also successfully did not have a sweet snack last night!

And while I'm thinking my #1 and #3 small quests are do-able, a 45lb barbell curl probably isn't. We'll see how I progress, but I may need to alter that one by the midway point of my first quest.

• Like 4

Current Challenge: 

Living is learning.  Sounds like you had a good day, and if you figure out that your goal was too high (for now) then you do what you can with the knowledge that it is your best.  There are worse fates than knowing that you did your best.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Not sure how often I'm supposed to update this: daily or weekly? 

Anyway, so far my goal of going to the gym 4-5 times per week has been successful. I even went yesterday on my birthday!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Anyway, so far my goal of going to the gym 4-5 times per week has been successful. I even went yesterday on my birthday!

Great job staying on track with your goal!

Regarding posting rate:  people post differently, but I have found that the people that post more frequently are more likely to be successful over the long haul. 

I try to post daily because it helps me to stay motivated: reading comments from others, reading their own successes and helping with their failures, and knowing that if I fall down I will have to come before a jury of my peers and confess my weakness.

I would suggest that you try to check in at least every two or three days, otherwise it becomes easier to forget about your goals and also the social aspect of the forum loses a lot of its power. 

Other people will be encouraged when you post on their threads.  You will be encouraged when they post on yours.  That's the goal here, to help each other.  Anyone can take a class in goal-setting, write down some SMART goals and post them on a bathroom mirror and read them evey day.   But we are social animals, and a community can help when the inevitable difficulties arise and you want to ditch the goals.

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Success! I just got back from biking for 30 minutes at my work's gym. Tonight, I'll be going for a 30 minute walk at another gym with the hubby too. So I got a bonus workout in today! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Success! I just got back from biking for 30 minutes at my work's gym. Tonight, I'll be going for a 30 minute walk at another gym with the hubby too. So I got a bonus workout in today! 

Good work!  I'm glad that things have worked out so well for you this week!

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I tend to update every day during the work week and put my weekend stuff in my Monday post since sometimes I'm not at a computer during the weekend.

â•”â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¦â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¦â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¤â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•—
â•‘  Level 2      â•‘   Stats    â•‘   Challenges   │     Support     â•‘
â•‘  Dwarf        â• â•â•â•â•â•â•¤â•â•â•â•â•â•â•¬â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•ªâ•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•£
â•‘               â•‘ Str │   3  â•‘  2nd Challenge │  The Wild Hunt  â•‘
â•‘  Adventurer 2 â•‘ Dex │   1  â•‘  1st Challenge │  Browncoats     â•‘
â•‘               â•‘ Sta │   4  â•‘  3rd Challenge │  Rivendell Walk â•‘
â•‘               â•‘ Con │   5  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â• â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•£ Wis │   3  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â•‘   Food Log    â•‘ Cha │   3  â•‘                │                 â•‘
â•šâ•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•©â•â•â•â•â•â•§â•â•â•â•â•â•â•©â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•§â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•â•

Body fat % averaged from 3 sources. Calculator 1Calculator 2 ,Handheld Electric Measurement

I didn't update over the weekend because I'm rarely on the computer then. ;)

Friday I got another bonus workout in: 30 minutes of biking. Then I did the normal Friday weight lifting routine.

I also only had sweet snacks twice last week, which includes my birthday on Wednesday. Granted, I didn't count my calories at all that day, but it's the only day I was bad during the week. That's not great, since I'm not supposed to ever be bad during the week, but it was my birthday after all. I had a sweet snack Tuesday and that was it so my goal for 2-3 times for a sweet snack was successful. This next weekend the goal is to not eat as much junk food overall since I was pretty bad Saturday and Sunday. 

Still, week 1 is done with a pretty good overall success!

• Like 3

Current Challenge: 

We can all do a little better, but it sounds like you had a great first week.  Have you had any issues with your lifting, or are you still on track to hit your goals there too?

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Have you had any issues with your lifting, or are you still on track to hit your goals there too?

Are we supposed to update here with things like that or in our Battle Log?

As of Friday, my barbell curls were at 20lb. I took it down from the 25 pounds I was doing so I can watch my form. The husband thought my form was wrong, but I am not so sure so I will be researching that this week to make sure. 

My bar squat was 65 pounds and my sled squat was 200 pounds so I think I'm on track for either one of those. :)

Current Challenge: 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines