Little & Mighty

elinox

LOL - I often read while driving too .... audio books!!  

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Great job on your workouts!! You've rocked this challenge all the way through!!!

Thanks!

I did biking yesterday and then yard work in the evening. I managed to get a good sweat going at chopping at a dead tree; which was surprising, since I'd originally planned to just take care of some stuff which needed taking care of and not do hard labor. 

I've also been doing pretty well with the sweet snacks only 2-3 times per week!

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

I did biking yesterday and then yard work in the evening. I managed to get a good sweat going at chopping at a dead tree; which was surprising, since I'd originally planned to just take care of some stuff which needed taking care of and not do hard labor. 

Great example of once you get moving, it makes it easier to keep moving.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Beating the sugar demon is always a good thing! *thumbsup*

Thanks!

What I need to do is beat the sugar demon on the weekends when I have my blow meals and am allowed to eat whatever I want. I tend to go a little overboard then since I'm not supposed to eat 6 Oreo's or a large bowl of ice cream on week nights!

"Discretion is the better part of valor"

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Tell that demon he should take weekends off… :playful:

I've already tried; it's the fat demon that ignores the sugar demon. It's a damn shame cake, cookies and ice cream are so tasty! If it all tasted like vegetables I'd be golden! :P

• Like 2

Current Challenge: 

Its survival cravings that don't fit into our current lifestyle.  If you had to walk 10 miles and take down a Schwann's truck with your bare hands, then you'd be golden.  :lol:

I'm not sure when it happened, but resisting the cravings finally reduced them. 

• Like 2

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Biking yesterday over lunch and then weight lifting in the evening. The Assault energy/strength/endurance powder I took beforehand seemed to help this time as I got a great second wind while lifting heavy things. So much so that I did 280lbs on the squat sled! I decided, after my second set at 240lbs, to just go for it since I was running out of days to reach that challenge goal. Turns out, 280lbs wasn't a whole lot harder than 240lbs!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Turns out, 280lbs wasn't a whole lot harder than 240lbs!

Great!  Does that meet your goal then?  You had wanted to sled press double your weight?

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Great!  Does that meet your goal then?  You had wanted to sled press double your weight?

It does, actually. I had said that I wanted to reach either double my body weight on the squat sled (282lbs) OR do the squat bar at 100lbs. I've reached both now!

Maybe that can help make up for me not getting anywhere close to my goal of doing bar bell curling 45lbs?

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Squats are multijoint exercises that are foundational to just about any lifting program.

Bar bell curls are single joint exercises that mostly just make your biceps bigger.

Not that the curls are a bad thing to do, but you picked the right one to accomplish.

Goliath hammer 2

Powerful.

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Squats are multijoint exercises that are foundational to just about any lifting program.

Bar bell curls are single joint exercises that mostly just make your biceps bigger.

Not that the curls are a bad thing to do, but you picked the right one to accomplish.

Powerful.

I'd been hoping to get bigger biceps. But doing a proper curl is hard, weight notwithstanding. Most people I see at the gym do it wrong too, with large amounts of weight. 

By the end of the first week of this challenge I knew I wasn't going to get to a 45lb curl, but didn't want to alter my plan because I felt that was cheating somehow.

Still, 2/3 goals reached ain't bad?

Current Challenge: 

Yesterday I just did biking for 30 minutes. In the evening, I'd intended to go buy more scuba gear, but they didn't have what I needed so instead I cleaned the bathroom. Not a workout, but a necessity of being an adult. *makes a face*

• Like 2

Current Challenge: 

Still, 2/3 goals reached ain't bad?

2/3 goals and you are smarter now, which is sometimes even better.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

monk Vs skeleton

You have really smashed your goals this challenge.  Thanks for helping to inspire during the last few weeks that have not been so good on my part. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Yesterday I just did biking for 30 minutes. In the evening, I'd intended to go buy more scuba gear, but they didn't have what I needed so instead I cleaned the bathroom. Not a workout, but a necessity of being an adult. *makes a face*

Good job.  I'm working on being more of an adult too.  Spring cleaning beckons ....

Some kind of Jedi .....

I totally get why you didn't want to change your goal. It does really feel like cheating. However, as an alternative point of view, the A in SMART goals is for Attainable. Ideally your goals would be attainable from the beginning, but if you find that they aren't for whatever reason, it is okay to change them. Which is better for you: not "cheating" by changing your goal, and just kind of ignoring that goal, or having a goal that you can/will actually work toward? It's all about setting yourself  up for success, because success becomes a habit. Not to say you should make super easy goals; we are wanting to challenge ourselves. But there's a difference between "challenging" and "not gonna happen".

Regardless of the above, you've had a great challenge and been very consistent. I saw that you said you were having trouble with the size of your sweet treats on "cheat" days; could that be a possible goal for next challenge?

• Like 1

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Ideally your goals would be attainable from the beginning, but if you find that they aren't for whatever reason, it is okay to change them. Which is better for you: not "cheating" by changing your goal, and just kind of ignoring that goal, or having a goal that you can/will actually work toward?

Regardless of the above, you've had a great challenge and been very consistent. I saw that you said you were having trouble with the size of your sweet treats on "cheat" days; could that be a possible goal for next challenge?

Once I realized early on that the 45lb curl wasn't going to happen, I added the squat bar or squat sled goal. Since I succeeded in both of those, I'd say one of those took the place of the barbell curl. I kepy the curl on my list because I wanted to remind myself to continue to work towards improving my biceps. I had 3.5 goals for this challenge and reached a solid 3 of them. As for the sweet treats, I succeeded in reaching that goal too, since I did manage to only have sugary snacks 2-3 days during the 5 day week. :D

Thanks!

Current Challenge: 

The challenge has concluded, so a summary of my quests:

I succeeded in building more muscle by going to the gym; not as much as I'd idealized, but I did get stronger. I can tell by looking at my body that I've got muscles now. Not as much as I want, but it's a start.

I even added in extra workouts which included biking for 30 minutes over my lunch break during the week. Once I got into that habit, I managed to do it consistently for all 6 weeks of the challenge. I think I only missed one or two days. I didn't even count it as part of my challenge, but I think I should get extra points for sticking with it and getting extra exercise. :tongue:

3 Smaller Quests 2/19/14

1.   Become stronger by doing one of these:

a. double my body weight in a sled squat (282lbs); or, = I doubled my body weight on the squat sled last week and successfully did 9 reps at 280lbs. (I weighed in at 140lbs last Friday, so 280lbs is correct!)

b. bar squat at 100lbs = I reached my squat bar goal of doing 9reps at 100lbs on March 26th. 

2.   Become stronger by doing 45lbs in a barbell curl, each arm. = While I didn't succeed in reaching a 45lb barbell curl, I realized that proper technique was more important than just hurling the weight back using shoulders and back like most people at the gym do. Had I done it like everyone else, I'm sure I could do a set of 45lbs. I'd rather have the proper form and build the actual muscle than cheat though. I did manage to up the weight to 25lbs with good form though.

3.   Eat healthier by cutting down on the sweet treats to 2-3 times in the 5 day week. = I also succeeded in my cutting down on sweet treats during the week. All challenge long I only had 2-3 sugary snacks during the week.

All in all, I had a very successful first challenge! Since I added exercise and kept at it for the entire challenge and because I feel as if I reached my mini quests, I'm going to give myself 4 additional attribute points.

Level 2 lookout! And thanks for all the support folks! :D

• Like 4

Current Challenge: 

You have done a fantastic job these six weeks.  I think the best part for me was how easy it was for you to start adding other healthy habits like your biking.  Your other achievements are great too of course!

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Excellent job.  And stick to good form.  Your body will thank you later.

Some kind of Jedi .....

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines