Merganser Flexes Her Metatarsals

Merganser

I just successfully (granted, it was on a scale of "Pass" or "Fail") completed my first 6-Week Challenge, which means I get to:

a) Proudly sport the yet-unworn Nerd Fitness t-shirt that has been biding its time in my chest of sportswear, and

B) Join the Scouts' guild!

Because, apparently, I'm a "joiner" now!  ^_^

(This is pretty new for me because I only recently realized that nomenclature is destiny, and that my mother did me a terrible disservice when she named me "Eileen", because, like the saying goes: "There's no 'Ei' in 'team'".)

(And although she did me another disservice when she chose my father for propagation purposes -- because, apparently, his groan-worthy sense of humor is a dominant trait -- she kind of made up for it by doing awesome Mom-stuff like making sure I passed all the levels of swimming lessons. So most is forgiven  :tongue:)

Anyway, time it is a-wasting, so on to the...

Main Quest

And speaking of "time"...

This challenge is scheduled to end on the eve of destruction my 42nd birthday, and although I'm a hell of a lot healthier in many -- most -- ways now than I was at half my age (i.e. when I was not particularly healthy at all) a recent creeping (okay, "clamoring") area of concern for me has been my physical fitness for the next 21 years and (what I hope will be) a long haul after that. 

Now that I really enjoy being active -- and (arguably) even athletic -- I want to be able to both endure and thrive doing all of the activities I love with no (or at least less, and merely transient) pain. 

And one of the activities I used to really enjoy is long(-ish)-distance running:

At this time last year, I was preparing for what turned out to be my last half-marathon, but I was already starting to sense the onset of the Unfortunate Series of Injuries that put me in a surgical shoe for 6 weeks a month later, while I was deep into serious training for what I was anticipating would be a PR in my next half-marathon.

(Oops!  <_<)

On the plus side, being sidelined from running gave me an opportunity -- after I took off my Miss Crankypants trousers -- to get back into swimming in a big way and accelerate the timeline and scope of my transition from pedestrian and public transportation-taker to bike commuter and all-around city cyclist. (Since I had only learned how to ride a bike about 6 months previously -- and am a big wimp -- that timeline could have potentially been pushed out interminably  :rolleyes:) It also gave me the opportunity to not use an injury as an excuse for inactivity and figure out how to adapt my kettlebell workouts and other training for my limitations.

However, I miss running!

And when I took up and discovered that I love rowing over the summer -- the first time in my life that I ever felt such an aptitude and affinity for something such that the teacher asking me, "Have you always been an athlete?" was not a totally ridiculous question! -- I also discovered that rowing seriously aggravated my wonky foot and hamstrung hamstring  :(

So, since shortly after the Ides of last March, I had to drop out of Sculling II halfway through the class and my running has consisted of sprint intervals on treadmills, a couple of 5Ks (if someone needs a motivating buddy for their first race after C25K, I'm their gal  ^_^...also: beer!), the "run" segment of a sprint triathlon (and the "run" segment of the ridiculous little fake race I did the week before to make sure I could finish the triathlon  :rolleyes:), and beating my 5-year-old niece in a couple of footraces (hey! this way it will mean so much more to her when she can beat me for real!) (also, she always tries to cheat!)

But...when I was pool-less and cycle-less in New York City last month, I ran a couple of miles and...I actually felt okay.

AND -- and this is the proverbial other shoe dropping -- for all of my sighing and whining, the thing I haven't been doing for the past year is all of the exercises and stretches that my podiatrist, my chiropractor and Common Sense prescribe to: a) rehabilitate my injured bits as much as possible, and B) prevent injuries to all of my other bits and pieces.

SO, my "Main Quest" is to become as mobile and flexible and healed and injury-resistant as I can be and figure out what my real physical limitations are (as opposed to the limitations that I'm living with -- and probably aggravating and exacerbating -- because I'm an idiot).

"To the pain!" ("Not!")

Missions

1) S-T-R-E-T-C-H-!-!-!

• Do my prescribed daily hamstring stretches exercises (DEX 1)
  • Foam-roll and stretch before and after workouts (DEX 1)
  • Be able to brush and floss while standing on one foot WITH MY EYES CLOSED! (DEX 1)
  • Successfully implement a program of additional flexibility and mobility-enhancing activities (e.g. yoga, even -- and probably especially -- if it doesn't make me sweat!) (WIS 1)

2) RUN!

• Go running -- outdoors! -- at least once a week (STA 1) (depending on how my pre-challenge diagnostic run goes, this may increase and/or I may add a minimum suggested but not mandatory since I'm trying to be smart distance)
  • Finish the St. Patrick's Day (Eve) 5K and the Scotland Run 10K (appropriately attired, obviously(STA 1) 
  • Diligently dedicate part of my self-directed weekly strength-type training session to exercises intended to facilitate healthy running (STR 1)
  • Resume bike-commuting whenever the weather is relatively clement, to take a load off my foot (DEX 1)

3) EAT! TRAIN! REST! (CON 1, WIS 1)

• Keep up with logging diet in My Fitness Pal and making overall smart and healthy choices and changing settings to "Maintain Weight" instead of "Lose 0.5 lbs per week!"
  • Keep up with existing program of non-running training -- including swimming 3 days per week (actually doing the posted Master's triathlon training workouts every week, in order) and doing kettlebell classes/strength training 3 days per week -- and taking a recovery day every week! (and, yes, it can be an active recovery)
  • ...and continue scheduling 7 hours of sleep per night (even if I wake up earlier anyway) and try to optimize quality sleep by using my earplugs and mitigating anticipatory anxiety
  • Bonus: Try out (and ideally join) a local Master's swim club (CHA 1)
  • Bonus: Start learning how to ride my scary little road bike in anticipation of the next 6-week challenge (DEX 1)

Motivation

Live long, wince less, and acquit myself creditably (and maybe even competitively!) in the little and longer triathlons I already optimistically (albeit perhaps also foolishly) registered for!  :tongue:

Life Quest

Be Agile!

We're slowly and painfully transitioning from a waterfall-y to a more agile process at my (software) company, and since I've been working here for almost 15 years, I am definitely part of the problem!

So the "life quest" I'm going to start in the next 6 weeks is related to my professional development as a leader, a manager and a team member.

• Overcome my tendency to respond to changing and/or unexpected circumstances by making a defensive cranky face/remark before I (inevitably) adjust to it anyway (i.e. be less short-tempered and bitchy) (CHA 1)
  • Complete at least one online management training course through our HR company and successfully implement some changes in my management and hiring processes (WIS 1)
  • Complete at least one online or real-life agile development process training course (DEX 1)
  • Like 3

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

Good list of goals ya got there. Glad you joined up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Love the challenge Meganser - I'll be cheering you on!

• Like 1

First challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42349-fishfaces-first-challenge-i-will-be-a-fitter-fish/

Second (unfinished) challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/44302-fishfaces-second-challenge-an-even-fitter-fish/

Current challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/87321-respawned-fishface-swims-again/

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.†― Terry Pratchett, 'Equal Rites'

Great goals!!!  I love the one-legged brushing and flossing.  Going to have to adopt that one!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Good luck on the challenge

And Tri's are fun

Yeah, I learned how to ride a bike specifically so I could do triathlons!* 

But in my very first (also my last) one I got a blasted flat tire halfway through!**

So I want a do-over!

(So I definitely need to fix my foot: the running leg of the race should be the easy piece!) (Plus, one of my little...er, younger brothers is considering doing one of the triathlons with me. So, obviously: GAME ON!)

*Okay...not entirely, but it was certainly a factor.

**Followed by two more flat tires on my way home; it turned out to be a rather long day...  :rolleyes:

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

Great goals!!!  I love the one-legged brushing and flossing.  Going to have to adopt that one!

Yes, every Wednesday morning, the first part of the NY Times online that I look at is the "Phys Ed" column to see what new trend/scientific finding/etc. Gretchen Reynolds has to report on this week. (Followed by the "Recipes for Health" column  ^_^)

So I really enjoyed her book -- The First 20 Minutes -- (even though I don't really worry about being super efficient with my exercise...I mean, I'm not going to put on a swimsuit for 20 minutes in the pool!) and one of my most memorable takeaways was her assertion that, of all the things she tried and changes she made, one of the most useful ones for balance and whatnot was adopting the practice of standing on one foot while brushing and flossing.

(And when I mentioned it to a friend they said, "Yeah, but can you do it with your eyes closed?", and I tried, and...Nope! Not yet:))

My Fitness Pal

I am (gradually) getting my chessboard -- or at least my game plan -- organized:

1) I found my sheets from my doctor's with my foot and hamstring stretches on them

2) I made copies of them and posted them above my desk (since I need to do them 3 times per day)

3) I created a spreadsheet (yeah, yeah...) to track compliance

4) I improved the ergonomics of my workstation (it involves a stability ball and 7 yoga blocks...we may not have Wednesday lunchtime yoga in our new office space, but dammit, we have plenty of yoga blocks!) (and only, like, 12 of them are being used to level the ping-pong table!)

5) I ordered a new foam-roller like the ones we have at the gym, since I like using those ones (well, my Inner Masochist "likes" them, anyway) more than the one I have at home)

6) I made an appointment at the bike shop to get my bike fit properly next weekend: I know my seat, at least, is too low for my body because I personally made it that way when I was a shaky (er...shaki-er) novice and was afraid to have my feet too far away from the ground...I'm still afraid, but I want to overcome this trepidation)

(Oh, and I dropped off my bike at said shop for a comprehensive spring tune-up, since one of my problems was a corroded back brake cable and flying over my handlebars because I had to stop suddenly some time using just my front brake would be a really lame -- pun intended -- way to hurt myself  :rolleyes:

7) I went to bed -- early -- with my earplugs in last night; I slept really soundly and at good length.

8) I picked up a copy of the new issue of "Runner's World" magazine, since our next-door neighbor's copy inadvertently ended up in our home, and before I dropped it off next door I noticed an eerily apropos article about injury avoidance and rehabilitation.

(Seriously: the writer doesn't seem to have a bunion, but she had been struggling with an injured hamstring for several years...just like me!...and adding swimming and biking and trying to be too tough and impervious and not getting a proper diagnosis, etc...just like me! And when she finally found out what was wrong, it turned out to be her glute! And I was just noticing the other day that I have more weak-ass glutes than I would have suspected!)

(More seriously, it's a good article, with some good advice and some good stretches and things to introduce to my routine. So, the running gods or patron saints or whoever put that in our mailbox because they want me to succeed!...Or else some nefarious imp wants to see me injure myself worse...but I'm going to go with the positive supernatural interpretation!)

Anyway, so I'm getting geared up.

And I've announced my intention to seriously work on getting as healthy as possible for the next 6 weeks to my trainers, gym buddies, roommate and chiropractor, so I have even more accountability!

Else-wise:

I'll be doing a "diagnostic" outdoor run tomorrow or Sunday, to see where I'm at as kind of a baseline -- since it looks like it's going to warm up in Boston for a couple of days before it freezes up again...and, boy, as sorry as I am that I'm unfit for long races this year, I am not overly sorry that I'm not training for the end-of-February Hyannis half-marathon again this year!  :D -- and how my hamstring and foot feel with my proper running shoes and orthotics (and stretching! before AND after) and what-not.

(I'll also be picking up my bike at the shop and doing some swimming, so I'll be in total "tri" mode  :tongue:)

Nutrition has been great this week: I have abstained from habitual chocolate at night, and sleeping pretty well after my insomnia thing Sunday, and lunches and dinners have been as scheduled (although breakfast and lunch today were a bit cobbled-together...but in healthy ways!)

And I've been keeping up with my workouts AND paying attention to my body:

1) Tuesday was a swim day

2) Wednesday was drop-in boot camp at the girl gym (to use up some expiring credits) with a trainer I really like, who is especially focused on good dynamic warm-ups and stretching and such-like:

Set 1 x 3 10 reps, 15 reps, 20 reps

burpees! (full!)
mountain climbers (each side)
jump-ish squats (i.e. onto a center platform then out to the sides to squat, body weight)

Set 2 x 3 (everything except the first was for 30 seconds)
Slam/squat a punching bag from one end of the small-group-training room to the other and back
medicine ball slam (20 LB...since I was taking it a little easy on my shoulder)
high plank with alternating shoulder tap (I kept my hips in place for this really well!)
sit-ups
squat-thrusters (15 lb dumbbells because: shoulder)

Set 3 x 2
10 push-ups
10-10-10 ball/bridge "triple-threat" (ow!)
10 side-lunges (each side) with dumbbell bicep curls (15 lbs because: shoulder!)
10 renegade rows (each side) (see above...I could definitely have gone heavier, but those were the dumbbells that were handy!)
battle ropes! (30 sec)

3) Thursday was another swim day, although I ended up cutting it short because my shoulder started to feel a little wonky and I should not let the fact that I'm "behind" in my goal of 250 miles in 2014 make me finish a workout at the risk of injury, darn it!

I've decided to try committing to the weekly "triathlon training" workouts posted on the Masters' website as posted -- with times modified for my limitations -- so I intended to do one of those workouts, but cut it short:

500 choice warm-up (I did 100 free, 100 back, 100 free, 100 breast, 100 free)

8 x 75 kick/drill/swim on 1:45 2:00 (I kicked without a board, and did one-armed drill followed by some fast-feeling sprints...I really enjoyed this set!)

8 x 50 with resistance band around my ankles on 1:15 1:30 (this was new to me, and...wow! you have to go pretty fast to get to the end of the pool before your feet hit the floor  :tongue:)

4 1 x 200 swim, descending 1-4 on 3:45 4:15 (this is where my shoulder felt wonky, so I just did one of these and then...)

4 1 x 200 pull, descending 1-4 on 3:45 4:15 (...just one of these, with paddles, since I had them  ^_^)

300 100 cool down 

So, 2000 altogether, in 50-55 minutes. Not too bad.

And as I learned during and after dinner -- when it caught up with me -- quite a workout anyway! Even my forearms hurt! And I was really tired!

(Which was good, since it meant I went to bed really early  :)

4) Today was kettlebell boot camp! I keep meaning to stop signing up for two days a week, and tapering to one day and doing my own workout (or a prior kettlebell workout!) the other day, but I really like my classmates!

I felt really sore this morning, but, as usual, I felt much better after class.

And it was a really good workout! It was an up/down ladder, which I enjoy (well, "enjoy") and since the max reps at any one time was 10 (and if you're like me, you don't have the math skilz to be able to figure out that the total reps is, like, 60, in your head), it was a good opportunity to try out heavier kettlebells (or will be, when I do it again when I don't feel like I have to be cautious about my shoulder!)

Warm-up x 2: 1 Turkish get-up each side (30 LBs), 10 swings (45 LBs), 10 deadlifts (45 LBs), 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups

Workout:

2 - 4 - 6 - 8 - 10 reps of everything, then 1 minute cardio sprint, then 10 - 8 - 6 - 4 - 2 of everything followed by another sprint

a) swings (24 KGs for the first time...I used the 28 KG one for my second set of 10, but I was arching my back too much and switched back)

B) cleans, each side (30 LBs, and they felt better than they have in a while -- next time, if my wrist is feeling stable, I'll try 16 KG again)
c) push-press (ugh! hated these! 12 KGs)
d) single-leg deadlifts (24 KGs because it was there, and because I should get them solid and non-shaky with that weight before I move up)
e) suicide planks, each side

My Fitness Pal

Hey Merganser! Glad to have you as a Scout!! Welcome!

Tris are, indeed, fun, I have participated in a few of them (5), and already signed up for a half-ironman distance at the end of this challenge!!, six months is a lot of time to get ready for a Sprint!, I think you could run one sooner! Trifind

Best of luck with this challenge, i think your goals are smart and well balanced! (pun intended).

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Hi Merganser - I'm a forty-something sculler with a dodgy foot too, so we could form the most specific accountibilibuddies group ever or something. Is the foot/hamstring problem really so bad it keeps you out of a boat entirely? I would have thought using a shorter stroke would have helped... Or is it a crew boat where you have to follow everyone else?

I like your goals and your dad-humour. By the way, did you know Guglielmo and Bonanno Pisano, when they were designing the freestanding campanile in Pisa's Cathedral Square secretly referred to it by the pet name "Eileen" too, so you're right, nomenclature *is* destiny.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Wow - ambitious challenge!!  Looking forward to hearing you achieve all of this .... and rehab wonky muscles and joints. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Hey Merganser! Glad to have you as a Scout!! Welcome!

Tris are, indeed, fun, I have participated in a few of them (5), and already signed up for a half-ironman distance at the end of this challenge!!, six months is a lot of time to get ready for a Sprint!, I think you could run one sooner! Trifind

Best of luck with this challenge, i think your goals are smart and well balanced! (pun intended).

Thanks! (And: ha!)

And thanks for the link: I had actually been planning to look for a swimming-type event in the part of Florida where my dad lives to do in April or May, but depending on how my biking and running go, maybe I'll look for a baby triathlon instead  :)

(Dad is a very active member of the coast guard auxiliary, and they usually provide protection from wayward boats and whatnot for triathlon swimmers, so it would be a good motivation for an overdue daughterly visit!)

• Like 1

My Fitness Pal

Hi Merganser - I'm a forty-something sculler with a dodgy foot too, so we could form the most specific accountibilibuddies group ever or something. Is the foot/hamstring problem really so bad it keeps you out of a boat entirely? I would have thought using a shorter stroke would have helped... Or is it a crew boat where you have to follow everyone else?

I like your goals and your dad-humour. By the way, did you know Guglielmo and Bonanno Pisano, when they were designing the freestanding campanile in Pisa's Cathedral Square secretly referred to it by the pet name "Eileen" too, so you're right, nomenclature *is* destiny.

The foot/hamstring thing was becoming a joy-killing nuisance, but the straw that actually broke my forty-something back and got me out of the boat was pulling a muscle or something in my back while looking over my shoulder at (apparently) the wrong point in a stroke  :rolleyes:

But it was single-sculling, so if I can overcome my decrepitude, I'll give Sculling II another go in April or June.

(And yes, one of my grade school math teachers derived much amusement from "Eileen" jokes; as does Dad  ^_^)

My Fitness Pal

"Diagnostic" run done! 

I took a 45-minute walk to the bike shop Saturday morning to pick up my tuned-up bike, then dropped it off at home after grocery shopping, etc. before taking the train into the city so that I could do my jog on the nice flat Esplanade along the Charles.

(Normally, I would have biked into the city -- since the train is extra slow on weekends and I'm not getting any younger, but I had a massage scheduled for 5 PM and I didn't want to bike home in the dark and through unseen puddles and whatnot after paying a bunch of money to attain a state of total relaxation  :tongue:)

After dropping off my stuff at the gym -- and stretching! -- I jogged down to the river (in short sleeves!  :)) and around the Esplanade for what turned out to be a bit more than 45 minutes and -- according my MapMyRun later -- 4.99 miles.

And it felt pretty good! And even though I wasn't pushing the pace at all -- and running into a stiff headwind for half of the route -- (as well as navigating puddles and ice patches!) -- I was pleasantly surprised that it was just a hair over 9 minutes/mile, which was pretty good for an easy jog for the first time in many months! (Well, except for that day in NYC in January.)

Hamstring was being it's bad self, but it felt less whiny after the first 15 minutes or so, and when I remembered, I did try to use my glutes instead.

And the foot actually felt fine while I was running. The questionable metatarsals were a bit hurt-y afterwards, but that was probably due to the combination of the 45-minute walk AND the 45-minute jog, since I have previously observed that my walking gait bothers them more than my running gait. Next week, I'll bring an ice pack and ice my foot right away.

(The foot continues to hurt a bit this morning, but the fact that I walk around the house in flip-flops probably doesn't help  :rolleyes:

And my running shoes definitely felt a bit snug, so I think I need to replace them: I bought them last summer when my running shoes with my orthotic inserts disappeared from the gym after I accidentally left them there, and although they seemed to fit fine without inserts, they don't seem roomy enough anymore. And they feel weirdly tight around my ankles of all things.

(Probably I am being a bit of a pea-princess, but it doesn't hurt to look into new shoes, and this time I'll go to Marathon Sports instead of New Balance so I can try on shoes from a variety of manufacturers. I should probably do a "running shoes for bunions" Google search before I go  :tongue:)

In fact, maybe I'll do that today

Speaking of which...time to get dressed and get today started already!

I did make several days' worth of oatmeal this morning, and put together my meal plan and grocery list for the week, and caught up with my financial spreadsheet, but otherwise this has not been a productive morning! (Darn you, distracting Internet news and information!)

I am pretty much sore all over (not a bad thing, since it's more "sore" than "hurt"  ^_^) and although my shoulder is feeling better, it's definitely not 100%, and I've been dithering indecisively all morning about whether to go for a swim...

...but since it's warm again today and going to freeze up again tonight I think I will actually skip the swim (I'll catch up on those miles at some point!) and just enjoy the clement weather with some recreational cycling (and bike-enabled grocery list fulfillment!)

(And spend the amount of time I would have spent swimming putting together that glute-strengthening regimen I need to implement to take some pressure off my hamstrings!) 

• Like 1

My Fitness Pal

Sounds like a good start to the challenge.  Running in short sleeves .... I'm jealous!!

If you find a good source for shoes for special conditions, let me know.  I am doing pretty well in my current shoe (Asics Gel-Kayano 19), but I'll need new shoes again this summer.  And my current brand is always discontinued when I go shopping for the next pair!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

Hi! Was just checking out your challenge and I'm subbing 'cause I'm doing kettlebells and some running too :) Can always use some inspiration!

Hi! I noticed your progress in your last challenge and although I didn't really have anything to contribute, I appreciated all the video and was looking forward to seeing what you were up to this time: it looks like you've made a lot of progress with your own training and with building up your workshops/clientele/etc.

I've been doing kettlebells with a trainer at my gym in small group training environments, and although it's become more popular, at times she has to work very hard to get minimum enrollments for the classes, so I sympathize with the challenges of trying to build your business! (I I told her that my motivation to get super-fit was so that I could be a convincing kettlebell-evangelist and be one of the background people in her kettlebell training DVDs someday, but unlike you, she hates even being photographed, never mind videoed^_^

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your current challenge and hope you learn to at least like running a little bit  :)

(One of the things I'm realizing is that I'm going to have to balance kettlebells and swimming: I'm at a point where I'm just about ready to go up a few KGs for some of the kettlebell stuff, but I'm also realizing that I need to be more gentle to my shoulders -- which wasn't my primary reason for wanting to run again, but like you mentioned in your current challenge, running is good for endurance without putting too much pressure on the shoulders  :rolleyes:)

My Fitness Pal

Sounds like a good start to the challenge.  Running in short sleeves .... I'm jealous!!

If you find a good source for shoes for special conditions, let me know.  I am doing pretty well in my current shoe (Asics Gel-Kayano 19), but I'll need new shoes again this summer.  And my current brand is always discontinued when I go shopping for the next pair!!

Yeah, the short sleeves were a one-day thing; I was out doing bike errands on Sunday and when I stopped home to drop off groceries after Grocery Store #1 I put on an extra layer before I headed out again  :tongue:

did get new running shoes, though -- I'll let you know if it's a good source once I try them out for real, as opposed to up and down the sidewalk outside the store  :D

My Fitness Pal

Challenge #2! Day #1! Off to a...start, anyway (if not off the races quite yet  ^_^)

Took my "rest" day Sunday, except for about 90-120 minutes of errand-related cycling, most of it on mostly flat roads. (I could have been more efficient with my errands, but I was enjoying being outside, even though it wasn't quite as nice as Saturday.)

One of my errands was buying new running shoes, and I accomplished that. Amusingly (except...not really), the couple of other people getting fitted, etc. at the same time as I was all had (similar to me) litanies of ailments, limitations, etc. and are still training for marathons and what not.

(My mother would consider this proof that runners are crazy people; she thinks running is a crazy, injurious thing to do...and I have to say, when I see people running, a lot of them don't look very happy  :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying them out next weekend.

And also got a good night's rest Sunday night: after a relatively light dinner that I spent reading (i.e. not being stimulated by television!), I took a hot bath, drank some herbal tea and eventually put myself to be with my ear-plugs, getting to sleep before 10 PM and only waking once before waking a little before 5 for real. Major improvement over last Sunday (i.e. total insomnia night), so that was fantastic.

Was still generally sore, but my shoulder, which is what I was concerned about, was feeling a bit better, so that was encouraging...

...but I'm still going to be cautious.

Today was a kettlebells day, but when I got to the gym I started with one of my foot stretches and...OMG! They take so LONG to do!!!

That was was I was non-compliant with my therapy last year! It takes, like, 20+ minutes to do them, and I'm supposed to do them 3 times a day!

Blah. But I'll do it. So I did a couple of them at the gym before and after kettlebell class, then finished at work between morning meetings. Then did round 2 in two segments in the afternoon, and will do round 3 plus the "Runner's World" stretches (just 1 round of those!) when I get home tonight.

Committing to this is going to be a big challenge. I think I'll just have to start getting up earlier (i.e. getting out of bed when I wake up, rather than lollygagging) and make round #1 some kind of ritual and use it as an opportunity to catch up with new music or something. Then do round #2 in separate segments as part of my breaks during the day, and doing round 3 at home -- which I can do while watching TV and/or making dinner in some cases. 

I'm sure it will be very character-building  <_<

Anyway, kettlebells were good, and the only thing we did that felt shoulder-intensive were a bunch of Turkish get-ups, so I used a 20 LB kettlebell instead of a 30 LB kettlebell for those, and didn't feel any worse afterwards -- and even at the end of the work day, as I'm typing this, I'm feeling OK. (Although like this morning, I will carry all of my heavy baggage home on my left side!)

Tomorrow's a swim day, and if this week's workouts still haven't been posted by tomorrow morning, I'll probably re-try Thursdays, but I'll also definitely take it easy if necessary: swimming is supposed to be my gentle, non-hazardous exercise!  :rolleyes: I'll let my need for sleep determine whether it's an AM or PM swim, but I would prefer morning...

...which means I need to get home and make dinner! Which will be dinner for tonight AND tomorrow and shouldn't be too labor intensive or time-consuming. (Assuming my microwave defrosts the chicken I failed to remove from the freezer this morning relatively quickly...)

And I'm hungry because I had my proper lunch and snack, and did NOT have pizza/pasta/bread sticks for catered lunch at work today  :)

And in keeping with my "Life Quest", I was very good-natured when people made the same old boring observations about my "healthy lunch" AND when they made fun of my yoga block ergonomics hack. And I also made sure I remembered how to log into the online training place, and started take a quick look at the courses available.

Now: home, cook, eat, stretch, sleep!

My Fitness Pal

Committing to doing a total 60 minutes of stretches every day is hardcore! It's for a good cause though. Crossing my fingers it pays off. 

Hi! I noticed your progress in your last challenge and although I didn't really have anything to contribute, I appreciated all the video and was looking forward to seeing what you were up to this time: it looks like you've made a lot of progress with your own training and with building up your workshops/clientele/etc.

I've been doing kettlebells with a trainer at my gym in small group training environments, and although it's become more popular, at times she has to work very hard to get minimum enrollments for the classes, so I sympathize with the challenges of trying to build your business! (I I told her that my motivation to get super-fit was so that I could be a convincing kettlebell-evangelist and be one of the background people in her kettlebell training DVDs someday, but unlike you, she hates even being photographed, never mind videoed^_^

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your current challenge and hope you learn to at least like running a little bit  :)

(One of the things I'm realizing is that I'm going to have to balance kettlebells and swimming: I'm at a point where I'm just about ready to go up a few KGs for some of the kettlebell stuff, but I'm also realizing that I need to be more gentle to my shoulders -- which wasn't my primary reason for wanting to run again, but like you mentioned in your current challenge, running is good for endurance without putting too much pressure on the shoulders  :rolleyes:)

To be honest I hate being photographed and videod too! All I can think when I see myself in them is bad things (so I try to focus only on the technique). But part of my challenge was getting used to that, because video material is just the best way to promote.. 

And thank you! I really hope I'll like running a little bit too. Today will be my first day running in a couple months.

The thing with kettlebell training is that your shoulder is in the overhead position a lot, which can really irritate the joints, especially if you're sensitive to it. It's a matter of volume, most of my trainees never have problems with 2 days a week training. There's nothing wrong with my shoulders now (doing kb 4/5 times a week) but I know from experience that adding much more to that will be asking for trouble.

I suppose swimming also passes that overhead position, so yea you should definitely count both of those training sessions.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Enjoy the swim!

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

This is going to be a "character-building" challenge; I should probably reevaluate my prospective points allocation to include more "Charisma" points  :rolleyes:

Failed to do my third round of stretches when I got home Monday night, or start the glute-strengthening program from Runner's World, but I did go online to watch the accompanying video, which was helpful when I finally got around to doing those this morning.

Monday night food prep took a little longer than anticipated (but resulted in a worthy dinner!) and I watched a little more TV than I planned and ate the last little bit of chocolate and...ended up not sleeping super-well. Blah. Couldn't get back to sleep after 4:30, so decided to get up and get going. I felt a little bit tired (not enough to require caffeine, though, which was good) and quite a bit sore, so I decided to skip the AM swim and just go to work wicked early and plan to leave early for the pool.

But before I left the house, I did the glute-strengthening exercises...correctly! Boring and non-glamorous, but good for me, seeing as one of the many sections of the Runner's World editor's story was the one headed: "The Mistake: Acting Like a Stud":

"I pride myself on being a well-rounded athlete. I run, I swim, and spin a few times a week. And when I strength-trained, I had the attitude that I was too 'advanced' for simple exercises, like clamshells. Instead, I did complex movements like burpees with box jumps. I figured all this cross-training had made my body strong and balanced. And so I was excited to do the Functional Movement Screen (FMS) at the RunSmart clinic, which measures head-to-toe strength and flexibility and is designed to detect muscle imbalances via a series of seven exercise tests. This would be my opportunity to shine--so I thought. A person is considered vulnerable to injury if he or she earns fewer than 14 points out of a possible 21 on the FMS. My score: 12."

Yup. Sub "clean-to-press-to-lunge" for "burpees with box jumps", and that's me!  :tongue: In the drop-in bootcamp I've been doing for a couple of Wednesdays, we did single-leg squats to a box a couple of weeks ago and I was all, like, sure: I can do that!

Except...nope! Not so much! Not without my knee jutting in and my hip jutting out and my heel rising up off the floor! 

Humilty: character-building!

(And since I'm going to be in New York City the weekend of the end of this challenge anyway for my niece's Christening...and it will be my birthday...maybe if I comply with my smarter training and stretching goals I can reward myself with a RunSmart evaluation...)

Anyway...so I did the clamshells and prone hip extensions at home and then left for the office, getting there a little after 6.

Before breakfast, I finally made a spreadsheet for tracking my stretching, and then did the first round of hamstring and foot/calf stretches of the day, rewarding myself with my oatmeal and hard-boiled egg! (And decaf!)

I did my second round of stretching before lunch and then left the office around 4:30 to go to the pool.

(I had been planning to leave at 4, but a scheduled meeting didn't start until 3:40. Normally, I would have worn my aggrieved-about-my-schedule-getting-screwed-up feelings on my face into the meeting, but in keeping with my "Life Quest", I reminded myself that if I'm going to attend the meeting anyway I only lose if I look remotely pissy about it, and being a half-hour off my pretty flexible schedule isn't anything to be pissy about, even in the little scheme of things! So, yay, attitude adjustment!)

I brought a 3500 yard workout into the pool with me (well, the pool area; I left the workout on the deck, in a Ziploc bag, like usual  ^_^), but I also brought an awareness and sensitivity to the fact that although my shoulder no longer hurt, and felt more fatigued than really sore, it is still on the mend and I need to be careful of it.

And so I was. After a couple of slow warm-up laps I could tell that it could keep going indefinitely at a leisurely pace, but was also definitely still sensitive, so I picked up the pace a little bit for a few lengths then switched to kicking for a couple of lengths, and alternated that for a grand total of...1000 yards! 

But it was still 30 minutes in the pool, and my hamstrings and hips and quads and calves felt better, and my forearms actually felt a bit sore later, and my shoulder is no longer clicking when I roll it (although I'll ice it before I go to bed), so: a worthwhile workout! The bad-ass workout will still be in my swim bag on Thursday, or even Saturday if I need Thursday to be another gentle swim day. Because those are okay!

Anyway, that meant I left the gym much earlier than intended, and in the heart of rush hour. But I was able to find a spot to stand on the train on some stairs in the back of the train, so I was able to use my commute home to do 1/3 of the third round of my interminable foot/calf-stretching exercises! Woot!

I did the other ones and round 3 of the hamstring stretches between the hot part of making Wed/Thurs/Fri lunch and eating dinner, and did the weird grabbing-a-washcloth-with-my-prehensile-foot stretch thing-y while eating dinner and catching up with Archer (Vice!) (Hee!)

Which means that I am totally com-pliant with my stretch goals for day 2! 

And now I am going to stop doing anything with a computer mouse or keyboard (or otherwise potentially stressing my shoulder) for the evening, finish up the lunch-making, ice my shoulder for a bit, and then head to bed for a good night's sleep before drop-in bootcamp tomorrow...where I will inform the instructor that I maybe shouldn't do shoulder-presses or anything like that and would really like to work on one-legged bodyweight squats again  :tongue:

• Like 1

My Fitness Pal

Wow! This looks like you are doing a lot of good work!

Keep on!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Great day!!!!  I know ... it is SO hard to do the simple and "easy" exercises. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Lunch-assembling and dish-doing took longer than I anticipated (there was more cherry-tomato halving, cilantro and scallion chopping and lime zesting and juicing than I realized...and it was seriously weird to juice three whole limes with nary a daiquiri, Pegu Club or even the Last Word to show for it! who am I these days?!) so I put myself to bed sans shoulder-icing and got a pretty good night's sleep.

My shoulder was feeling a bit better yet this morning -- it had definitely been feeling fatigued during the chopping and washing -- but I was still determined to take it easy today. So I went to the gym and did my first round of hamstring stretches and the boring-but-effective glute exercises. And I'm being good with those: there are three each for the gluteus maximus and the gluteus medius (or whatever they are) but the instructions recommend doing just the first of each for the first week, and then adding the second and third in subsequent weeks...and that's what I'm doing, rather than adding 6 new stretches/exercises all at once!

When I got to drop-in boot-camp, I was once again the only person signed up! (Last week there was one other person; the prior week it was just me as well.) This was really terrific because this particular trainer is a huge advocate of thorough stretching and posture and balance and what-not -- she's the one who helped alert me to my lousy squat form and weak glutes  :tongue: -- so I mentioned my shoulder problem (she knows about my other issues) and what I've been up to activity-wise recently, and we spent more than half of the session doing shoulder-related stuff and lateral movement stuff with a taut band. It was really, really great. I know I'm supposed to relax my shoulders for a lot of things, and definitely keep them down and back, but it's a lot easier to internalize that when someone is standing behind you having you slowly work your way down activating all the muscles in your back down to your glutes instead of just your shoulders! And we even used little baby 5 lb dumbbells for some very effective stuff!

I jotted down some of those exercises and will definitely be working them into my plan/program: I really had no idea how much of a free ride my back muscles have been getting all this time at the expense of my poor burden-shouldering shoulders! 

We ended the session with a couple of reps of sets of individual "man-maker" components followed by actual man-makers, with me trying to make sure I was keeping my shoulders in the proper position and using my back muscles to do the work.

So, like last night's swim "workout": not much of what I usually consider a "workout", but excellent, excellent, body-work!

This was my last session of boot camp drop-in, and in retrospect it turned out really great that I accidentally purchased too many drop-in sessions in December! In January, I was grousing about having to use them up by the end of February, but it was so serendipitous that it turned out that this particular trainer had a boot camp scheduled for the perfect day and time for me, that was a drop-in instead of a full 6-week class, that was lightly populated, and that I had all those drop-in credits!

I don't actually think that the gods of good health or anyone is arranging things on my behalf, but it was a really great coincidence, in retrospect, and I'm glad I noticed it. (Kind of like the random mis-delivered "Runner's World" -- spooky!  :lol:)

At work, we had a software release party over Skype with our team in Minsk at 10 AM, so I was able to spend almost an hour on my feet, which is much better than sitting at my desk, and between that, my morning "workout", and doing my first round of foot/calf stretches and second round of hamstring stretches after the "party" -- hey! there was champagne and party horns and everything! and although I will be abstaining, it smells like the BBQ lunch just got delivered...and I might make an exception to the "no work food" rule for a piece of cake this afternoon: it's not every day we move from 4.x to 5.0! (in fact, it's been since summer of 2011!) -- I feel pretty good right now!

(And also really, really work-motivated: it's hard to see it from the inside, but this is a really great time in my company's history/evolution...and since I'm going to be celebrating my 15th anniversary this summer, I would know!  ;))

My Fitness Pal

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines