Join the Rangers - fit to squash the opposition

Endor

G'day Rangers, I'm coming over from the Warriors to join you for this challenge!

I've recently taken up squash again, joined a tournament (won the first 2 matches, w00t!) and need to get my multi-skilling strength and fitness on to make sure I've got the energy to finish every game at my full potential. I've got some nice bursting power from my warrior lifting, now it's time to get the endurance up, weight down and improve my dismal dexterity!

Goals:

Starting Stats:

Weight: 84.9 kg

Body fat: 21.5%

Goal 1 - Improve my Stamina and Endurance (STA 5)

This is my main goal this challenge and the reason I have come for a sabbatical with the Rangers, hoping for some support from you nice folks as I go through some grueling conditioning :)

I have a strength coach that helps me with Olympic lifting technique and general strength work. I see him at a crossfit box but have so far not done any crossfit as I have an extremely competitive and addictive streak so I don't think the classes will be the right environment for me to train in. However I have asked him to put together a program for me with a specific goal of improving my squash game. I don't want to lose any games based on fitness, if I get out-played by more skillful opponents that's fine but I don't want anyone running me down.

I will be significantly increasing my training hours per week, probably doubling them and training 6 days a week, still waiting to see the program but that's what I'm expecting.

I will consider this goal a success based on 2 criteria:

- Don't miss any more than 1 scheduled session per week.

- We will beep test at the beginning and end of the 6 week program, I want to see a significant improvement in the second beep test. (Whilst I'm reasonably fit from a cardiovascular point of view I haven't done any running for years, I am totally dreading this :nightmare: )

Goal 2 - Sub 80kg (CHA 2, DEX 3)

Yes weight figures are arbitrary but I have some fat to lose and I need a goal to focus on. I also want less weight to have to haul around the squash court. Weigh in once a week, if I stay the same weight but BF% drops that's good news too. I have a nice reward linked to this, details below.

Goal 3 - 80% Paleo  - 17 main meals per week. (CHA 3, DEX 2)

I've let a fair bit of poor food creep here and there over the last few weeks, need to get my focus back and remind myself I feel much better on a Primal/Paleo diet.

Rewards:

History shows rewards also work well for me.

- If I go sub 80kg I will book my dream diving trip to the Yongala wreck.

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

This is unrelated, but how did that $95 Cyberfit bar work out for you?

Also, beep tests annoy me. Best of luck.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

This is unrelated, but how did that $95 Cyberfit bar work out for you?

Also, beep tests annoy me. Best of luck.

No issues with the bar, I really like it. Having said that I haven't put anything above about 90kg on it, however I would definitely recommend it for the price.

Subbing to stalk

Good to have you along mate :)

• Like 1

subbing, not to stalk - cos it's only stalking if i don't engage.  I'm more like a creeper ;)

Good luck.  I'm dying to see how your squash game improves especially because i know how much you were looking forward to getting back into it.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

subbing, not to stalk - cos it's only stalking if i don't engage.  I'm more like a creeper ;)

Good luck.  I'm dying to see how your squash game improves especially because i know how much you were looking forward to getting back into it.

Glad to have you here AB :) You've been my constant throughout my challenges and it means a lot, thank you. 

I'm loving the squash, I wish I could play more but right now it's taking me the whole week to recover, tendons in my foot still playing up from my injury last year. Coach told me I'll gradually get my 'match fitness' just from playing and I think the foot will strengthen over time as I use it , hope so anyway. 

Glad to have you here AB :) You've been my constant throughout my challenges and it means a lot, thank you. 

I'm loving the squash, I wish I could play more but right now it's taking me the whole week to recover, tendons in my foot still playing up from my injury last year. Coach told me I'll gradually get my 'match fitness' just from playing and I think the foot will strengthen over time as I use it , hope so anyway. 

It's always been a pleasure hun.

You should also maybe try some active recovery after your squash game or add in some foam roller stretching.  I used to take tissues salts for the first few weeks of starting a new thing and a hot shower  afterwards to keep the muscle loose while cooling down (i found that contracting your body in any way - like sitting, lying down, driving etc within an hour of a workout, often led to some severe cramping).  Maybe that'll help?  Ask your coach if he has any suggestions.

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

I second Blaidd on the foam roller - I'be been using mine a lot and it makes a real difference. And, subbing of course :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

PT today, training for the movements in my new program.

I'm sick at the moment, boo. Caught a cold that has flattened my wife, so far I'm groggy, snotty and can't think straight but it hasn't flattened me which I'm glad about.

New program looks good, I didn't test today because I'm crook and it would of been a terrible result, agreed with my coach to test on Thurs next week.

The new plan includes a lot of movements: KB swings, Hi Pulls, Snatches, Lunges, Burpees (OMG), Box jumps, squats, cleans, PP, perks(lol this should say jerks :tongue:), thrusters (OMG), pullups, sit ups, knees to chest, push ups, shuttle runs (OMG), bar lateral jumps, Horiz rows.

Lots to be going on with and some technical movements which other people might think are minor but because I am an office worker I find difficult. (bloody hunch back of the keyboard).

It's going to be hardcore but it's on and I'm ready. Pump me up, call me out, criticise me, encourage me, I need it all this time, I'm about to turn it on for 6 full on weeks, let's go NF!!

It's going to be hardcore but it's on and I'm ready. Pump me up, call me out, criticise me, encourage me, I need it all this time, I'm about to turn it on for 6 full on weeks, let's go NF!!

Woah! So much inspiration in this sentence!

Level 11 Human Ranger

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

I forgot to mention, it was my birthday a few months back and I got tix to see Bruce Springsteen, the concert is tonight :D :D

Super excited! One of his songs "working on a dream" was my inspiration when I started out on my weight loss journey, hope he plays it.

I'm staying in a house in the wine country for a few days, not sure what the coverage will be like so might be absent a couple days, but I'll do doing a lot of swimming as the house has a pool and we have temps of 30/31 predicted :)

Hectic sounding program, but it's gonna be fun :)

Also yay for Springsteen and swimming out I. The country :) we are suffering under those temps this upcoming week too :(

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

My challenge

I'm back from my mini break! Springsteen rocked out big time! Very energetic and played a long set, about 3 hours. Only 2 or 3 I recognised but he's got such a huge catalogue of songs that's to be expected. The house we stayed in was nice too but we missed home so we came back a day early to see the cat, chill out on our deck and sleep in our own bed. There's no place like home as the saying goes!

Bad news is a glass of water got spilt on my awesome ultrabook :( It's off to the mender today, hopefully it doesn't take too long.. No data loss fortunately, just keyboard death. Lucky I am OCD enough to have a spare laptop, had to spend a day getting all my data migrated and the apps spun up so I can continue my designs but it's good to go in time for being back at work, phew! 

So far this challenge has been challenging but now I'm home hopefully I can find my groove again:

Mon: No exercise, lots of non Paleo food. 

Tues: Squash match (I won again woo!), lots of non Paleo food. 

Weds: 5km walk,  lots of non Paleo food. 

Thurs: 

PT - 20 min AMRAP

Row 300m, 20 box jumps at 20", 10 Burpees

I managed 4 rounds and the fifth round I did everything up to 5 burpees, just ran out of time for the last 5 burpees. 

This was part one of my fit test for the start of my 6 week program, this was really hard, totally out of breath and wanted to give up several times but I kept on trucking through. I didn't expect to get 3 rounds never mind almost 5 so I was pretty happy with that. 

Small fillet steak for breakfast and 520ml coconut water after training.

Back on track, next mini target is to get a 4 day food and exercise streak. 

• Like 1

you can do it!!  And thrilled that you enjoyed Springsteen.

My challenge

Woah that AMRAP sounds brutal! Well done for almost 5 rounds.

Level 11 Human Ranger

Looks like you are off to a good start. I'm no Springsteen fan, but I did catch a performance from him at Bonnaroo a couple of years back.

Bonnaroo, that sounds like a good Aussie name :). If you've never seen it I recommend "The Castle" for a nice family friendly classic Aussie movie which features "Bonnie Doon".

Thursday: PT, Paleo breakfast, lunch. Non-paleo dinner. 

Friday: Paleo breakfast, Paleo lunch, non-paleo dinner (roast beef with yorkshire puds, nommy!)

I forgot to mention, it was my birthday a few months back and I got tix to see Bruce Springsteen, the concert is tonight :D :D

Super excited! One of his songs "working on a dream" was my inspiration when I started out on my weight loss journey, hope he plays it.

I'm staying in a house in the wine country for a few days, not sure what the coverage will be like so might be absent a couple days, but I'll do doing a lot of swimming as the house has a pool and we have temps of 30/31 predicted :)

Oh snap, subbing for the Springsteen!

• Like 1

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

PT today:

15 mins for:

3 cleans from hang then 3 front squats.

20kg/3/2

30/3/1

40/3/1

50/3/1

55/3/1

60/3/1

then 15 mins for:

Push Jerk x 3

20/3/2

30/3/1

40/3/1

50/3/1

55/3/1

A little hard going but coach told me I had really good form on my cleans and considering my PR is 65 I was happy to get 3 out at 60 with no issues. 

Then:

6km walk in the rain with the dog.

Then:

Made a chicken curry ready for when I get home later (I'll write you up the recipe soon Choro ;) )

Now: 

Off to watch my football team play Sydney, taking a friend I have hung out with only a couple times, nice to hang out with another guy from my area and watch some sport. Fingers crossed we win after losing 5 in a row  :nightmare:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines