Kishi

Tons of interviews is good!!  Might not be job applications as in sending them, but they're still applications :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Good luck with the job opportunities!  I know that something good is going to come your way.  Every interview you have is more experience and that alone is still moving you forward.   :)

True, sir. All the same, I have ambitions this year. I wanna get off this track and get into something real. If these interviews get me closer to that, then awesome.

You make me lol. And inspires. =D

I'm glad for your continued flow of work opportunities, even if they're widely varied levels of desirable. <3

And I'm jacking that counting down thing. I wonder how it'd feel... =D

I see. I amuse you. :D

But yeah. Just. The system works. It just has to be applied.

It'll surprise you. You'll feel like every rep is your last and you're right on the verge of dropping out, and yet somehow it doesn't happen.

Tons of interviews is good!!  Might not be job applications as in sending them, but they're still applications :)

Interviews are applications on steroids. They're more than the paper - you're judged not just because of what's written, but because of what you display as a person. It's a very different game.

So, why am I still awake? Because I've been spinning my wheels and realizing that the CG goal just isn't gonna work. I've been crunching numbers, and at this point, it's camp or groceries. Groceries win.

I thought I'd be more disappointed, but given how hopping my job prospects are right now, I really don't mind. And besides - that gives me Monday and Friday as genuine rest days, something that I need not only for my body but also for my mind.

True, sir. All the same, I have ambitions this year. I wanna get off this track and get into something real. If these interviews get me closer to that, then awesome.

I see. I amuse you. :D

But yeah. Just. The system works. It just has to be applied.

It'll surprise you. You'll feel like every rep is your last and you're right on the verge of dropping out, and yet somehow it doesn't happen.

Interviews are applications on steroids. They're more than the paper - you're judged not just because of what's written, but because of what you display as a person. It's a very different game.

So, why am I still awake? Because I've been spinning my wheels and realizing that the CG goal just isn't gonna work. I've been crunching numbers, and at this point, it's camp or groceries. Groceries win.

I thought I'd be more disappointed, but given how hopping my job prospects are right now, I really don't mind. And besides - that gives me Monday and Friday as genuine rest days, something that I need not only for my body but also for my mind.

Hmmm, must try that with my pushups.

Blast, sorry the CG is falling through but groceries are more important.  You do have experience with the type of workout now and can certainly build equivalent workouts.  The rest will totally be good for you.

Hope one of these opportunities ends up being a good solid job.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Hmmm, must try that with my pushups.

Blast, sorry the CG is falling through but groceries are more important.  You do have experience with the type of workout now and can certainly build equivalent workouts.  The rest will totally be good for you.

Hope one of these opportunities ends up being a good solid job.

You and me both.

HEY KISHI.

This post has no purpose.

BUT I'M HERE POSTING ANYWAY.

happy_day2-400x400.jpg

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

Well, if you insist...

CG: -/-

Yoga: 1/1

IMA: 4/4

Resumes: 13/16

Client Pitch: 4/4

Phew. Got up about noon, checked my FB feed for an hour, then got to checking my email just in time to see that I had an invite to interview. This set the tone for the rest of my day - just enough time to dash from one thing to the next without really feeling like I was on time.

The interview, it turns out, was for a substitute position as a personal trainer while one of the trainers is out on maternity leave. It'd basically be 6-9AM on Mondays, and that'd be it, for eight weeks. Lots of work with machines <_< and older people with orthopedic difficulties. Somehow, this feels like the CH job all over again. But, this time, no pride and no illusions. I'll come in, work with what they give me, and we'll part as friends when the end comes. If I get the job - I'm really confident that I'm qualified for it, but I don't know that my interview was the best. I carried the conversation well, but I was so hurried to get out that I didn't have the time to trim my beard or anything.

Oh well. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I've got another person wanting to interview me already.

Also, heard back from the pool management position: they want to move forward with me. Which would be nice except that it's more part-time work, and it wouldn't actually start 'til May. I have a feeling the best this could be would be as a back-up plan in case all the other plates I'm spinning don't pan out. Which is part of the reason that my resumes are low today - I spent my day pinging contacts from last week to see what was going on, and there's barely been a response. That's annoying.

Oh well. Onward we go.

Today was MMA training, this time focusing on slips and and standing work. Then ran 1.5 miles in 15:35. Was kind of annoyed at first: I've run this route a couple minutes faster before. But then I compared the two and remembered that, back then, the run was a day's exercise, coming after a cheat day when I had tons of energy and with my CHO stores maxed out. Compare that to now, where I'm doing most of my runs in caloric deficit after what amounts to a metcon workout. Suddenly, a drop off in performance makes sense.

I don't have to like it, though. :tongue:

Anyway, legs don't even hurt. Gotta make CG happen tomorrow.

Talk about killing it. :)

KISHI!

Sorry I haven't been on your thread until now! Traveling has left me SO BEHIND!!

I feel so honored to be called out in your challenge. :D This one you have already started so strongly! Crankin' out resumes like a BOSS.

All goood stuffs here! annnnd JOB.

Oh! And those Spartans WODs sounds like HELLA fun!

When are we doing MOAR? YA??

KISHI!

Sorry I haven't been on your thread until now! Traveling has left me SO BEHIND!!

I feel so honored to be called out in your challenge. :D This one you have already started so strongly! Crankin' out resumes like a BOSS.

All goood stuffs here! annnnd JOB.

Oh! And those Spartans WODs sounds like HELLA fun!

When are we doing MOAR? YA??

No worries! I saw. You were busy. You had things to do. I dig it. And, you had a kickass trip to deal with, so naturally you had to be present for that. Makes total sense! Hopefully, I'll get the chance to visit Nerds at the end of the year my own self.

I called you out? You called me out! Now I gotta answer for it. But if I actually do awesome things this year and get that shape and do all the things I want to do, I want you to know that you deserve credit for lighting a fire under me and getting me moving.

YEAH JOB.

:D I'll do more when I have the ability to. Right now, I'm just trying to build up the traits I need to get the job done. Though, if the Street Team ever comes through again, you bet I'll be there.

YUSSS!!!!

You are on my list of Nerds I MUST meet.

BEWARE!!!

November.  Just saying it would be awesome to have 3 monks on the team.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

YUSSS!!!!

You are on my list of Nerds I MUST meet.

BEWARE!!!

November.  Just saying it would be awesome to have 3 monks on the team.

I'm working on it, I'm working on it!

Yoga: 2/2

IMA: 5/6

Resumes: 18/20

Client Pitch: 5/5

Phew. Good training day. Hard in the mental-space, though.

So, I've made no secret of my belief in strength being primary when it comes to training. The switch, from strength-as-primary to running-as-primary, has been a bit of a culture shock. All my emails talk about how running is the devil, how it's bad for fat loss and how you're wasting your time doing things like that. It's playing around with me on the emotional level, and I'm having to fight myself using my rationality: that nothing they said ever actually bore out to be true for me, that running is something I take to really well (when I was small, I once ran a half a mile with a bunch of kids. They were on bikes), that the only way to get good at something is to do it over and again. And, barring all else, there's one other problem: none of these bastards, with their abs and their super-efficient workouts, ever did anything like an obstacle race. They belong to a completely different paradigm, and what I'm doing is totally unsuited to (almost) all the information I have to work with.

This should be a period of excitement, throwing caution to the wind and leaping out into the unknown where the net will surely appear. So why the hell did all my insecurities gang up and jump me? Probably a combination of things: I put on weight in the past week, and none of it was muscle; I read this article, and spiraled into information binging and such. (it's not the same as binge-eating, but long term it's every bit as destructive).

But, after having looked over today, I have to remember:

• I'm eating more lately to establish some base numbers in the new system, and I can't honestly say what my body will do until I give it time to adapt.
  • I'm not certain, but I may have flirted with a touch of metabolic damage. Prior to this latest experiment, my calories were low enough that I was always hungry, and I could never get warm; even in this mild Southern-US winter I wasn't warm without at least two layers and usually caught myself in three with double-layered sweaters. I bore the experiment out (mind over matter), but all things considered, that was probably not good.
  • If the metabolism was actually damaged, then nothing matters, because nothing would actually work. A damaged metabolism doesn't know how to process energy period because at that point it's 'thinking' more in terms of survival than it is in terms of health. In which case, I'd have to overfeed anyway just to get the damn thing working proper again. If this is true, then I never noticed a fall off in my numbers because 1)lots of veggies and high-quality vitamins, 2)lots of sleep, and 3)my physical feats really just aren't that strenuous.
  • I totally missed the point of the article. The point isn't that you can do brief, intense work and get in shape for a Spartan; it's that there's no one way to achieve anything, but no matter what method you use you have to show up and do the work.

The job stuff has me on edge too. My contacts in the writing job have gone silent, and the good interviews that I had with gyms don't seem to be translating into work. I'm applying for part-time jobs again, and it worries me, because if I can't advance beyond this level then Boston - and lots of life - is just gonna stay out of my reach.

It wasn't until I undertook this that I realized how much it pisses me off to be as qualified and as knowledgeable as the guy I'm serving coffee to. Before, I was gently amused, but I can't afford that kind of thinking anymore. I just can't.

::BIG SIGH::

Fortunately, my body does not put up with my bullshit. I did yoga yesterday, but forgot the Taiji work (oops).

Today, did the Century workout again in less time than before. Hanging knee raises are getting stronger, but it's costing me in my chin ups - I get the job done, but the grip is so shot that my numbers suffer.

Then, ran my 1.5 miles about a minute faster than I did Thursday. BOOM.

Also, finally heard back from a prospective client! Slashing my rates in half might have been just the ticket I needed. We'll see.

So, just so we all know: your GL has not lost his mind. I'm okay. Really. I just needed to write this stuff down and get it out somewhere where I can see it. And also, I seem to have developed a reputation in these parts for invincibility, and I wanted to be transparent and show you guys that I gotta work hard too.

• Like 2

Can a scout weigh in on the running issue?  I have no idea what the Rebel Running Guide recommends, but there is a fitness guru named Jonathan Roche who trains for races with 3 weekly HIIT runs and one long run each week, plus bodyweight training.  HIIT is very effective for weight loss and muscle preservation.  If you see the guy's picture, he is no skinny fat runner, but he has finished the Boston Marathon 18 times.  So, it works.  Maybe you don't want to change horses midstream, but it might be something to consider if you are worried about undoing your past work training for one event.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

I enjoy reading your lengthy posts and I enjoy more that they do you some good. Getting it all out there is suuuper helpful, and I think we both identify with that mechanism of self-sorting. =)

Despite the conflict though, your physical goals are coming along pretty fluidly, it seems. Everybody works to be where they are, and it is easy for those of us not involved in the day to day to imagine everyone else doing it without effort.

The jobs business... man. I don't even know on that front. Lowering the barrier to entry is the way to get clients, for sure. For once, the simpler theories in economics pan out - lower the price until there's demand, then work to increase demand so you can increase price. =) Though, it's not so simple when you've got to balance simpler things like bills and groceries with the idea of trying to generate demand. Haha.

Rarely do opportunities fall into your lap; you're doing the work to bring them to you. It will pan out, though likely in unexpected ways. =)

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

Can a scout weigh in on the running issue?  I have no idea what the Rebel Running Guide recommends, but there is a fitness guru named Jonathan Roche who trains for races with 3 weekly HIIT runs and one long run each week, plus bodyweight training.  HIIT is very effective for weight loss and muscle preservation.  If you see the guy's picture, he is no skinny fat runner, but he has finished the Boston Marathon 18 times.  So, it works.  Maybe you don't want to change horses midstream, but it might be something to consider if you are worried about undoing your past work training for one event.

Ooh, he looks interesting. And hearing about his training confirms something I had suspected - that once I achieve the distance I want to, switching to HIIT with one day to maintain is a legit strategy.

Knowing myself as I do, I totally want to change horses midstream. But that's because it's in my nature to keep on jumping horses, and I can make no progress if I hop from approach to approach, from program to program. And besides. Running for distance is a different animal from any kind of strength or power work in terms of mentality, and this is something I need to cultivate regardless.

Thank you, though. There's going to be a lull between learning to run and the actual Spartan training, and I'll need a thing to fill my time. I think he might be a guru who could learn me a thing or two. :D

I enjoy reading your lengthy posts and I enjoy more that they do you some good. Getting it all out there is suuuper helpful, and I think we both identify with that mechanism of self-sorting. =)

Despite the conflict though, your physical goals are coming along pretty fluidly, it seems. Everybody works to be where they are, and it is easy for those of us not involved in the day to day to imagine everyone else doing it without effort.

The jobs business... man. I don't even know on that front. Lowering the barrier to entry is the way to get clients, for sure. For once, the simpler theories in economics pan out - lower the price until there's demand, then work to increase demand so you can increase price. =) Though, it's not so simple when you've got to balance simpler things like bills and groceries with the idea of trying to generate demand. Haha.

Rarely do opportunities fall into your lap; you're doing the work to bring them to you. It will pan out, though likely in unexpected ways. =)

You and me both, huh? Yeah. I guess that's why I'm a writer at heart - everything just gets heavy, but if I bleed it out through my fingers suddenly I feel light.

You're right. I got an email from one of the gurus I follow, and he talked about how he used to think that intensity was the reason you got results in a training program. But after suffering and coming back from devastating injury, he had the chance to observe and note that everybody approaches with this idea of intensity - everyone starts with this idea of hitting the gym twice a day, five days a week and going cold turkey on sweets and running on their days off... and it never amounts to anything. Thus, he was forced to conclude that it wasn't really intensity so much as it was consistency that ultimately made the difference.

Ha ha, you're right. I'd honestly train these people for free if I didn't have to worry about gas and groceries and keeping a roof over my head. The analytics that the board released indicated that people who have reviews and records generate more business for themselves than people who don't. The publicity alone would be worth some free training, but there's no way that's feasible for me right now, so.

I think you're on to something with that. Gotta keep working at it.

*wince*  Yep, info binging can screw you up. 

Honestly, it looks like your current training regime is well suited to prepping you for your current goals.  As a side bonus, running training will help you train clients whose goals include running and help you support more than just strength training.  So it's also professional development.  Strength training is great, but mixing it up with endurance cardio and recovery work is going to likely lead to a better overall fitness and capability level even if it isn't optimal for strength training.

Re: potential metabolic damage - glad you're sorting that.  I know you had reasons for training that way, but you need fuel to train and live.  You'll likely also feel better in general.  You need that.  Never forget to take care of yourself.

*crossed fingers* on the prospective training client.  Hope they're followed by many more.  Keep hammering out those pitches,applications, and resumes.  Something WILL come of it.  You're doing it right.  Results will follow.  Even if it's more temporary work, it'll make you new connections and something wildly different may come of it.

Writing does seem to have a rather cathartic effect.  Glad it works for you. 

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

*wince*  Yep, info binging can screw you up. 

Honestly, it looks like your current training regime is well suited to prepping you for your current goals.  As a side bonus, running training will help you train clients whose goals include running and help you support more than just strength training.  So it's also professional development.  Strength training is great, but mixing it up with endurance cardio and recovery work is going to likely lead to a better overall fitness and capability level even if it isn't optimal for strength training.

Re: potential metabolic damage - glad you're sorting that.  I know you had reasons for training that way, but you need fuel to train and live.  You'll likely also feel better in general.  You need that.  Never forget to take care of yourself.

*crossed fingers* on the prospective training client.  Hope they're followed by many more.  Keep hammering out those pitches,applications, and resumes.  Something WILL come of it.  You're doing it right.  Results will follow.  Even if it's more temporary work, it'll make you new connections and something wildly different may come of it.

Writing does seem to have a rather cathartic effect.  Glad it works for you. 

Oh, I know it. It holds me back.

And you're right. All these different things I'm doing are useful, if not now then later when I train other people.

You know, part of the reason that I considered the possibility of metabolic damage is that I have been feeling better since I started eating more. My body's generating more heat, my attitude's swung up, and I just feel better in a strange and subtle way that I didn't even know I was missing.

You're right. something will come.

Yeah, writing, I need to do more of this.

Yoga: 2/2

IMA: 5/7

Resumes: 18/20

Client Pitch: 5/5

Dammit, let the martial arts slip again. But I have a good excuse! One of my friends was graduating from his standup comedy workshop and he wanted some friends to be at the show. So, a ton of us showed up to cheer him on. He actually did a fantastic job and has been accepted into the troupe that does the training and performance there. Very happy for him. :)

Warmed Up

Rolling Pistols: 6x1

Neutral Grip Inverted Ring Rows: 2x11+3 (Ugh. These never cease to humble. Think I'll find a way to keep this even after I 'graduate' to vertical pulls).

Supported Squats: 3x30 (passed these again. Still amazed at how the burning can pick up in your muscles if you take long enough).

Finisher: 21 burpees in 1:05.

Yup. And with that, we wrap the week. Got another interview set up for tomorrow, and I'm ready to spam the Craigslist again. Also, need to start talking with the headhunters and seeing what I can do.

All right, folks. Week 2. Let's go.

So, just so we all know: your GL has not lost his mind. I'm okay. Really. I just needed to write this stuff down and get it out somewhere where I can see it. And also, I seem to have developed a reputation in these parts for invincibility, and I wanted to be transparent and show you guys that I gotta work hard too.

We know you haven't lost your mind.  We all just need to unpack somewhere in order to clear our minds and maintain our sanity.

I have a friend who runs marathons professionally and he swears by adding BW or strength exercise into his routine at least twice a week.  He says that the strength training helps not only with muscle retention, but helps lean out the muscles for stronger runs. So i get that you're struggling to adjust, but cardio and strength training to complement each other.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

We know you haven't lost your mind.  We all just need to unpack somewhere in order to clear our minds and maintain our sanity.

I have a friend who runs marathons professionally and he swears by adding BW or strength exercise into his routine at least twice a week.  He says that the strength training helps not only with muscle retention, but helps lean out the muscles for stronger runs. So i get that you're struggling to adjust, but cardio and strength training to complement each other.

Aye, happens to everyone.

Good man! Having extra strength is useful for sure. And besides - being lean is what I'd like to accomplish at the moment. :)

You know, part of the reason that I considered the possibility of metabolic damage is that I have been feeling better since I started eating more. My body's generating more heat, my attitude's swung up, and I just feel better in a strange and subtle way that I didn't even know I was missing.

Feeding your body, much like recovery, is as or more important than the hard workouts.  You can only work in a  deficit for so long before your body or mind stops you and your workouts begin to suffer or an injury stops you completely.  

I believe that it's all about balance, which I am constantly searching for in my workouts and life.  It's a fine to walk but I think the closer we get to finding these different balance points, the better we will perform and feel.

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

You're right. I got an email from one of the gurus I follow, and he talked about how he used to think that intensity was the reason you got results in a training program. But after suffering and coming back from devastating injury, he had the chance to observe and note that everybody approaches with this idea of intensity - everyone starts with this idea of hitting the gym twice a day, five days a week and going cold turkey on sweets and running on their days off... and it never amounts to anything. Thus, he was forced to conclude that it wasn't really intensity so much as it was consistency that ultimately made the difference.

I have to continually (and consistently, pun intended) remind myself about the consistency thing. We live in world full of instant gratification and if I work out hard today I want to see results tomorrow...but patience is a virtue, after all...

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU"

My Epic Quest: http://www.nerdfitness.com/character/25378

Feeding your body, much like recovery, is as or more important than the hard workouts.  You can only work in a  deficit for so long before your body or mind stops you and your workouts begin to suffer or an injury stops you completely.  

I believe that it's all about balance, which I am constantly searching for in my workouts and life.  It's a fine to walk but I think the closer we get to finding these different balance points, the better we will perform and feel.

Mhm. That is true. That's part of the concept of a 'cheat' day, to undo some of that metabolic damage. But I've been playing with the math and realized that keeping a 'burning furnace' isn't a matter of stoking the flames once per week. It's gotta be something you do over and again, and the lean days have to be kept in-between. It's fascinating, actually.

I have to continually (and consistently, pun intended) remind myself about the consistency thing. We live in world full of instant gratification and if I work out hard today I want to see results tomorrow...but patience is a virtue, after all...

Seriously. Seriously. I keep looking for shortcuts my own self and then wonder why nothing goes anywhere. It's cuz I never give 'em the chance to.

I definitely agree that consistency is the best thing to help with programs.  Especially since consistency breeds habitual backups.  Yea, you might miss a workout or two because of unforeseen circumstances, but if you've been building it for a while, getting back into the groove of things will be a hell of a lot easier to do than if you constantly switch things around and have to put that mental energy in there in addition to the physical energy.  At least that's how I feel.  Maybe I'm biased at this point.

Re: Food.

Food is good, and I'm glad you're seeing the benefits after eating a bit more.  Honestly, I'm kind of amazed about how I've felt the last few days - no workouts but still eating ~2000 calories a day and I'm feeling pretty decent (besides this plague).  Amazing how something so basic can alter our being so drastically...

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I definitely agree that consistency is the best thing to help with programs.  Especially since consistency breeds habitual backups.  Yea, you might miss a workout or two because of unforeseen circumstances, but if you've been building it for a while, getting back into the groove of things will be a hell of a lot easier to do than if you constantly switch things around and have to put that mental energy in there in addition to the physical energy.  At least that's how I feel.  Maybe I'm biased at this point.

Re: Food.

Food is good, and I'm glad you're seeing the benefits after eating a bit more.  Honestly, I'm kind of amazed about how I've felt the last few days - no workouts but still eating ~2000 calories a day and I'm feeling pretty decent (besides this plague).  Amazing how something so basic can alter our being so drastically...

Yep, consistency. It allows you to auto-pilot things and just show up and do the work, and keep your willpower for yourself.

Yeah, it's incredible what food can do. My body temp's way up, and I can sit in short sleeves in my un-insulated bedroom with the weather freezing outside. It's been a while since I was able to do that.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines