AwkwardActive: I will Slay the Sugar Dragon!

Anamal

There was a time in my life when I could go months without desserts, and more importantly I didn't spend my energy thinking about them... obsessing about them really.  Recently I've come to accept that I'm half way into a full blown sugar addiction. During my last challenge and my first Whole30 I feel I made a lot of progress towards kicking this sugar craving habit. But when Whole30 ended the first foods I wanted again we're sugar laden desserts, and that is where the challenge lies.

I don't think I'm being overly dramatic by saying that this will likely be my hardest challenge yet.

Goals are as follows:

No Sugar - And by no sugar I mean no sweetener of any kind! No artificial sweeteners, no paleo "approved" sweeteners like agave, honey, coconut sugar or stevia, no refined sugar. None of it! The only concession will be made for sugar free gum.

No Gluten - This one is a little easier than the no sugar goal, and mostly consists of me sticking to my guns while going out to eat with friends. I eat gluten free at home and when I pack my own foods for lunch, but I have a bad habit of caving and eating gluten while eating out because I don't want to rock the boat, or be the girl with the "weird diet" or draw attention to myself in that way. This challenge will be not so much about giving up gluten (it makes me feel ill and very bloated so I'm fine with losing that), but learning to plan when going out and stick up for myself in group situations.

Run 3x a Week - It doesn't have to be fast or far, but I need to improve my endurance as I get closer to my Spartan Beast Race in June. Plus I enjoy running and just got some awesome new shoes! I also have a 4 mile uphill race on March 22nd as a prep race for the Spartan.

- One run must be a speed session.
- One run (not the speed session) may be substituted for a long weekend hike.

Journal Daily - I feel like I missed out on an opportunity to learn a lot about myself by not journaling during my whole30. So I'll write an entry here every day, regardless of how I feel, good or bad so that I can review at the end of the process and hopefully be able to observe some trends and changes.

I've decided to already get started on this goal.

2/19/2014 - My first day of my No-Sugar Challenge.

• Like 1

This is good business. Consider yourself followed. ...But not like, down an alley or anything. =O

• Like 1

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

2/20/14

I'm still in that honeymoon phase of this challenge. This happened when I started Whole30 too and lasted about a week. I remember myself thinking stuff like "I can do this forever" and "my race is 108 days away, I can do this for 100 days" and "this isn't so hard" etc. I find when I'm first starting out its all new and exciting and you feel like you can continue with it forever. While this might feel good initially I need to remember that the real challenge starts in about a week from now when my brain figures out that I'm not just giving up sugar for a few days, but for many weeks. With the real goal of never needing sugar in my life again.

Second I've been super busy with work and haven't been cooking as much as I would have liked and instead relying on chicken breast and veggies for every meal. Now this meal is indeed healthy/whole30/paleo, but it's also BORING! Bland food is a bland life and I'm already tired of it. So I resolve to make an awesome new recipe tonight and get my taste buds working again.

Here is one I found that I plan on making http://www.spartan.com/food-of-the-day/recipe-of-the-day/exotic-guacamole/ (I'll omit the goat cheese). And I think they'll pair nicely with these for a Mexican inspired dinner.

the way you are with sugar is how I am with weapons grade crap food....like chicken strips covered in chili and cheese, good luck with your no sugariness!

Level 5 Tiefling Ranger/Assassin Hybrid

|STR:15 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:6 | WIS:6 | CHA:4 |

My Current Challenge

Challenges: First | Second |Third | Fourth | Fifth |  Sixth

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

Oh boy I'm already falling short with this journal every day goal, but lets wrap up the last few days:

2.21.14 - Friday!

Well I was feeling pretty good as I recall, but for whatever reason I was anxious to get out of the office early and go home and as a result I kinda messed up some things at work. Nothing big, just rendering a video without sound and I'll have to do it again Monday. So I guess my brain was kinda foggy, but that's probably because I didn't sleep terribly well Thursday night. The night before I was strangely anxious and frustrated when going to bed, and I was over at my bf's place and I never sleep quite as well when I'm in another persons bed. Anyway I ate well, but did have some dairy (whole milk cheese) and wine with dinner, so lets call that I primal compliant day, but not quite whole30/paleo. One thing I did notice was that I no longer like larabars very much. When I did my first whole30 I relied a bit of them to get me through hard days or when I didn't have time to pack a better snack, but now they taste too sweet and kinda gross. Also I just remembered that I had breakfast at 9:30am and didn't eat again until 6pm or so. It's amazing how paleo can really let you put your hunger on the back burner, but that probably contributed to my foggy brain on the way home. I've also been trying to drink more water 3-4 liters a day and that helps me differentiate real hunger from boredom and I generally feel better when I'm well hydrated.

2.22.14- Saturday

I had initially planned to head to brunch with friends, but LA traffic on the 405 changed my mind. Sorry guys but I just don't want to sit in traffic for two hours! But we have plans next weekend already so I don't feel too bad, and I didn't drink so that is a bonus. Instead I spent the day with the bf walking around Hollywood and running random errands. It was relaxing and we ate at an awesome mexican/asian fusion place where I was sure to substitute rice for veggies and not eat the fried onion strings. No gluten for me! Also no alcohol or sugar that day. I did almost slip up in the grocery store, they had some truffle samples and I was just about to read the ingredients for gluten and soy products when I realized that they most definitely had sugar and so it was irrelevant. Whew glad I caught myself in time. Overall it was a very mellow day and I feel like I'm really starting to get my body back on track after the two weeks of more relaxed/unhealthy eating after I finished my whole30. Lastly I tried melatonin for the first time ever and slept like a rock even though I was sharing a bed. I don't want to develop a habit of using that stuff every day, but it definitely helps me get a full night sleep. Sleep is something I've always struggled with, I'm a VERY light sleeper and I bet getting deeper and uninterrupted sleep would help my health a lot. Seriously, it's not uncommon for me to wake up 3-4 times a night even when I'm in my own bed alone.

the way you are with sugar is how I am with weapons grade crap food....like chicken strips covered in chili and cheese, good luck with your no sugariness!

Thanks! I find as I switch to more paleo I tend to crave savory foods more too. The key is finding something as satisfying as cheesy covered whatever, but that is healthier.

Still going strong with the no sugar and gluten! Still struggling to remember that I need to post here daily. Anyway I ended up having a bit of a lazy day, lots of reading and sitting on my couch. This Sunday was one of the first days in weeks that I haven't had to set an alarm and it felt so good just to relax and not be productive. I even scrapped my workouts and just chilled. I find that when I'm doing a dietary challenge I tend to cut myself a little bit of slack in my workouts, and mostly just reduce the number of days I work out from 5 to 3-4. They're right that willpower is a finite resource and until no-sugar is really an ingrained habit I'm choosing to spend my willpower bettering my diet instead of forcing myself to run for 30mins just because.

Let's call this Sunday a mental health day! I talked to my best friend from home, and made 3 new recipes that will get this week started right:

- Salmon Wraps with sundried tomatoes and apricot

- Sweet potato and lamb wraps (from the cook book my sister got me!)

- An awesome beef roast over rosemary, onion and red wine, with a side of mashed cauliflower (my new favorite veggie)

Today I start my training for my June Spartan Race so I know things are about to get intense and my running goal will take care of itself. Now if I can just combine my love of working out with a good diet and the ability to sleep well, I'll be really set!

Speaking of sleep, do people have tips/suggestions on better sleep? I've always been a light sleeper but it wasn't until somebody pointed out that waking up 3-4 times a night isn't normal and maybe I should consult a doctor, that I really started thinking about it.

Lastly I got Tim Ferris' book "The 4 Hour Body" to read, has anybody read it yet? Opinions?

Speaking of sleep, do people have tips/suggestions on better sleep? I've always been a light sleeper but it wasn't until somebody pointed out that waking up 3-4 times a night isn't normal and maybe I should consult a doctor, that I really started thinking about it.

I know, academically, all the things to get good sleep, you know turn off electronics, avoid caffeine, don't eat for 2 hours before, etc. the problem is that I have a problem with sleep like you, mine being, I can't get there, well that's over simplifying it, I only get a few hours a night generally, and I'm perfectly fine as far as I can tell, I just physically can't get to sleep before at least 1, and I have no problems waking up between 6:30 and 7, so if you figure out how to get moar bettar slehp let me know too! (internet spellings totally intentional)

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

Four Hour Body is the epitome of an Experiment of One. =) Obviously Whole30 is a lot more... generically applicable in that it's studies based, but we all know that studies are just a jumping off point for understanding yourself in context of the world as a whole, right? Haha.

I like it, though. Lots of my strong and smart friends are basically in dietary agreement with Tim Ferris, whereas I prefer the W30 route because science. Both are super useful tools. And kettlebells are fucking boss, hahaha.

And for what it's worth, I'd say sleep is as individual as diet. Do you feel rested? Does waking up interfere with your objectives? If not, then whatever. Your body is one of a very large number of evolutionary paths, so its tarits are either "right" or "wrong", and I like to judge based on what helps me succeed. =)

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Still going strong on the no gluten and sugar! Although I did eat something with canola oil last night before my workout because I was just too hungry after work. It's so hard to find pre-made food at a grocery store that is paleo compliant! So for today (2.25) I had a larger breakfast and packed a larger lunch too and I think that should get me through my evening workout.

I've started a new workout program, a 30 day plan designed to get you into shape for a spartan sprint. I think it will be a good on-ramp program for this type of training and then after the month is up I'll be doing an 8 week program specifically designed for the Beast distance. Yesterday I did 1/2mi repeats and thanks to a dude who was running about 1min/mile faster than me I really pushed myself. Then I played soccer for almost an hour and boy was I tired after that! But thanks to a magnesium supplement and some compression socks I slept really well and woke up today with only a little soreness in my calves!

Online research revealed a few ideas for what may be

I know, academically, all the things to get good sleep, you know turn off electronics, avoid caffeine, don't eat for 2 hours before, etc. the problem is that I have a problem with sleep like you, mine being, I can't get there, well that's over simplifying it, I only get a few hours a night generally, and I'm perfectly fine as far as I can tell, I just physically can't get to sleep before at least 1, and I have no problems waking up between 6:30 and 7, so if you figure out how to get moar bettar slehp let me know too! (internet spellings totally intentional)

My dad is kinda like that, he just doesn't seem to need a lot of sleep. I find that if I'm training hard and not getting enough sleep that I tend to get stressed more easily during the day. At least based off 1 days experiment taking a magnesium supplement really helped! I'm also going to buy some ear plugs. When I sleep alone I use a fan for white noise (LA is a loud city) but when I stay at my bf's place... he snores and that shit drives me nuts. In terms of all the academic stuff, I found eating times to be irrelevant for me, but turning off my computer an hour before bed and tossing my bright red LED alarm clock helped a lot. I'm considering blackout curtains next (LA is also a bright city).

Four Hour Body is the epitome of an Experiment of One. =) Obviously Whole30 is a lot more... generically applicable in that it's studies based, but we all know that studies are just a jumping off point for understanding yourself in context of the world as a whole, right? Haha.

I like it, though. Lots of my strong and smart friends are basically in dietary agreement with Tim Ferris, whereas I prefer the W30 route because science. Both are super useful tools. And kettlebells are fucking boss, hahaha.

And for what it's worth, I'd say sleep is as individual as diet. Do you feel rested? Does waking up interfere with your objectives? If not, then whatever. Your body is one of a very large number of evolutionary paths, so its tarits are either "right" or "wrong", and I like to judge based on what helps me succeed. =)

I agree, I'm a huge fan of the Whole30 program! But I found it to be very stressful too, especially in social situations and eating out. There are just so many ways to mess up. So now I try and stay whole30 as much as I can and not freak out over a little goat cheese on my salad at dinner. I'm interested in Ferris' book for some little tips and tricks here and there that will hopefully help me shed some fat lbs. Though I think W30 is about as nutritionally sound as you can get (hence the no sugar challenge this time around).

My sleep hasn't been as good as I want recently. Especially when I stay at my bf's place. Some people just fall asleep and stay asleep and I'm a little jealous. Lots of things wake me up and it gets me really stressed and anxious some times. That's why I'm trying the magnesium supplement. I found this article really relevant to my current situation: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/soul-crushing-stress-and-the-miracle-of-magnesium/ as of day 1 it seems to be helping!

Earplugs are a great idea. My buddy Juji (see footage below) loves them. Haha. He uses them any time we have a gathering/etc and most of the time at home. =)

And blackout curtains are a must! Chicago is also a very bright city. T'hell with the neighbors noise and lights keeping me from my sleep! Haha.

Also, a cute trick from the spellbook of Jujimufu - try wearing sunglasses for 30 minutes before you go to sleep, in addition to shutting off screens/etc. It'll help encourage melatonin production. =)

5'11"/180cm

Despite leaving all my workout stuff at home I made it to the park for my 2nd Spartan workout. This historically is dangerous territory for me, if I go home after work I tend to get sleepy and mentally think my day is over. Today was no different, but I knew I couldn't bail on my new program after only one day so I ate a light dinner and headed out to the park. There was running, there were pushups, pull ups and burpees but I did it all. And I did max sets on each workout. I went hard knowing the next day was a rest day.

I've taken some before pictures too in the hopes that there will be a visible change at the end of these 30 days of challenge and clean eating. In the past an upped cardio routine has helped me shed some fat and I really want to go into this June race as lean and strong as possible.

Days without:

Gluten: 8

Sugar: 7

Alcohol: 2 (I'm not as strict on this one as long as I stick to moderate amounts of red wine or tequila with no mixer)

As of tomorrow I have a little over 100 days until my Spartan Beast.

Earplugs are a great idea. My buddy Juji (see footage below) loves them. Haha. He uses them any time we have a gathering/etc and most of the time at home. =)

And blackout curtains are a must! Chicago is also a very bright city. T'hell with the neighbors noise and lights keeping me from my sleep! Haha.

Also, a cute trick from the spellbook of Jujimufu - try wearing sunglasses for 30 minutes before you go to sleep, in addition to shutting off screens/etc. It'll help encourage melatonin production. =)

Well it looks like my weekend project will be installing blackout curtains and finding some earplugs I can stand wearing. Actually I might grab those tonight before I head over to spend the night at the snoring boyfriends place.

I've never heard of Jumimufu but his site has some interesting tips on it! Thanks!

2.26.14 Two posts in 1 day? What is this madness?

Well it just means that I'm actually getting around to posting about my day on the day it happened as opposed to the morning after.

Anyway today was a rest day so there isn't much to talk about in terms of working out. I can however say that I'm glad this program has rest days every 2-3 days. It makes me go harder than I would have normally and then I really look forward to and enjoy my rest days. For example Saturday is a rest day too and I'm really looking forward to being lazy all day long.

I think I've crossed out of the honeymoon/I can do this forever, phase and my brain has finally figured out what I'm trying to do to it. Deal with it brain, this change is for keeps! Throughout the day I found myself craving random stuff, like cereal. Now to make a point, I don't like cereal. Before I went paleo I rarely to never ate cereal and I find milk gross. But today cereal in a big bowl sounded awesome. But I took that to mean my body was probably craving carbs after the increase in cardio the last few days so I had a bit of sweet potato with breakfast and some extra fruit with lunch. I also bought some of that dessert flavored gum (mint choc chip) to give myself something to nosh on.

The only thing left today is dinner and a movie with the boy, and I specifically chose a restaurant for it's gluten free options and locally sourced veggies! Mmmm now I'm hungry.

Tomorrow and the next day are early workouts to round out the week.

This is the most comprehensive list of ways to improve sleep that I've ever seen, and there are links to more information at the bottom. Some of it seems a little drastic to me (I'm not big into lots of supplements), but there are lots of recommendations that make good sense.

You're really rocking this challenge, AA! Brava!

• Like 1

Human Ranger, Level 10
Long-term Goal: Hike WA section of Pacific Crest Trail, August 2014

Current Challenge | Facebook (personal & locavore) | Blog | Twitter

"You stand at the verge, and you could become anything." - Dan Chaon

Sounds like the 26th went well. =) And I bet the dinner was awesome. =D

• Like 1

5'11"/180cm

Yes I'm writing this the morning of the 28th. But whatever. When I got home from soccer last night I was suddenly dead tired and the notion of pulling out my laptop just wasn't appealing. I had a morning workout to get in my spartan challenge, and a soccer game at night. I really like these spartan workouts, they leave me tired and dripping sweat and it's good to mix up my workouts and get more high intensity cardio in. I've already run twice this week and currently I'm scheduled to run twice more (not including soccer). I've noticed that if I'm trying to catch somebody on the track or keep pace with a faster runner I push myself hard than I would by myself but it doesn't feel as hard. I think I should check out some running groups in the area for my long runs.

I'm still going strong with no gluten and sugar. I've been having wine every 2-3 days at social events or dinner with the bf, but next week I'll try and make a more concerted effort to minimize dairy and drinking during the week. I want to narrow in closer to whole30 as this challenge progresses. This Saturday I'm going to a screening party and a friend is in town so this will be the first real challenge for avoiding gluten and sugar in a social setting. The easiest thing to do might be to just eat before I go to the party and then avoid food while I'm there. Or bring snacks for everybody that I can eat.

Last night I slept really well. I took my magnesium supplement, used ear plugs even though I was home in my own bed by myself and I definitely think it made a difference. Today is a partial day at work due to the office moving so I might go out and buy some blackout curtains after my workout and install those for tonight.

This is the most comprehensive list of ways to improve sleep that I've ever seen, and there are links to more information at the bottom. Some of it seems a little drastic to me (I'm not big into lots of supplements), but there are lots of recommendations that make good sense.

You're really rocking this challenge, AA! Brava!

Yeah a lot of those recommendations in the first section make sense to me. But I agree on the supplements, especially because they're obviously being sold and promoted by the guy writing this page. I might get some of those lights he suggested. At least for the reading lamp by my bed.

I'm still going strong with no gluten and sugar. I've been having wine every 2-3 days at social events or dinner with the bf, but next week I'll try and make a more concerted effort to minimize dairy and drinking during the week. I want to narrow in closer to whole30 as this challenge progresses. This Saturday I'm going to a screening party and a friend is in town so this will be the first real challenge for avoiding gluten and sugar in a social setting. The easiest thing to do might be to just eat before I go to the party and then avoid food while I'm there. Or bring snacks for everybody that I can eat.

I really admire your progressive and strategic approach here. You're gearing up for success in the most long-term sense, and doing so at your individual pace. That's waaaaaaay harder for me than just diving into something, but then I often struggle with the intimidation of all-or-nothing, just like you mentioned when starting this challenge.

Big kudos. =)

5'11"/180cm

plus, if you bring snacks for everyone that you can eat...you'll look like an awesome party person and everyone will want to hang with you!

My Current Challenge

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Yikes, I've been bad about this journal daily thing,  between an office move, and a busy weekend I've been without internet or without time. Frankly I'm not going to miss an extra 30mins of needed sleep to post an update here, gotta have priorities. So this will be a bit of a long post as I catch up on the last few days.

2.28.14 - Friday

This day was pretty easy. I got paid, and only had a half day at work, and had dinner plans with my friend. This meant that I got to sleep in a bit and then have plenty of time to work out after leaving the office before I went home to cook dinner for my friend and I. The menu was salmon, grilled asparagus, and acorn squash (which I had never had before), red wine, and some banana "ice cream" with crumbled dates and almonds on top. Super tasty, no dairy, sugar or grains and only 2 glasses red wine.

My workout was pretty challenging 15mins running, followed by a strength circuit and 15 mins running at the end. I didn't warm up as much as I should of so the first run was challenging. And then my goal for my 2nd running leg was just to keep running no matter how slow or awkward it was. I pleasantly wasn't short of breath, but my legs were very tired and my running stride awkward, but I got it done!

3.1.14 - Saturday

Saturday was supposed to be my rest day. My lay in bed and read and not do anything at all day. Instead I ran errands with the bf and then went and hung out with my friends. While this was good and I enjoyed spending time with everybody, it wasn't quite the me-time that I really wanted and I think that left me a little frustrated. I've learned that having a day alone every week or two is very important to me. I don't want to see work people/friends/bf just really be alone. It helps recharge my batteries and I've come to really value this time, so when I don't get it I feel a little grumpy.

At dinner with my friends I munched on cheese and little sausages and drank a bit of wine while the others had pizza. I'm glad I resisted but I felt a little deprived afterward. So I ended up getting some wings (not the breaded kind) and fries on my way home. So that wasn't ideal. I think between running errands all day, being tired, and then using all my will power being good at dinner I over-exerted myself a bit and made a poor food choice. But we're still good for no gluten or sugar.

3.2.14 - Sunday

I had a hill run scheduled for my Spartan Race workout program, but I ended up going snowboarding instead. Hey, it's still exercise, and I just re-scheduled the run for Monday. We got up early for the drive to the mountains, and I was a little grumpy from lack of sleep and being around too many people for too many days in a row, but I really wanted to go so I put on a happy face and tried not to be mean to anybody. The snow was awesome and I had a great time just cruising.

Things kinda fell apart over dinner. We had breakfast at 8am or so, and didn't have dinner until 5pm so I was starving. We went to a generic pub/sports bar and while the boys ate huge burgers and nachos I had swordfish and grilled veggies. I know that's what I SHOULD be eating, but it wasn't what I WANTED to eat. If I'm being honest I felt jealous of their food, annoyed at my increasing sensitivity to corn and all things non-paleo. This lead to another deprived feeling and googling delivery places around my apartment on the drive home. I didn't end up ordering anything, but I did have a snack when I got home, and it was definitely more emotional eating rather than hunger but at least it was paleo food.

3.4.14 - Monday

We moved into our new office, and naturally nothing really worked so the first day was pretty mellow. There was a food truck at work which I made as paleo as possible by asking for tacos on top of salad instead of corn tortillas. And I had a salad with salmon and olives with a side of fruit for dinner. I even got to leave early so I could get in my missed hill workout before evening soccer. I felt pretty good and strong on the hill intervals (even though they weren't super long), but unmotivated and annoyed at soccer. I think this is more related to the fact that I don't like the team I'm on, nor do I like the league we're in and I just want the season to end. I always leave the games feeling pretty discouraged and I'm ready to be rid of the whole thing.

Ok one good thing and one bad thing:

Bad thing, I'm on this seasonal birth-control where you're only supposed to have a period 4x a year. But I'm pretty much having mine right now despite being super diligent about taking the pills on time every day. Plus I've had more sustained cramps throughout instead of just the first day or so. The only bright side is that it hasn't been a heavy period (sorry boys)... oh and I guess I'm glad I'm not pregnant. But I think this could be contributing to my general moodiness the last few days.

The good thing is that I just got the e-mail for the per-register for the Vermont Ultra-beast. 26.2mi long, obstacle mud-run. It's held in Vermont in September, so I'd have a little over 2 months to train after the Spartan beast if I register and get in. I'm still not 100% sure if I'll do it, but the idea of getting all 4 distances in 1 year is very appealing to me. I think my main concern right off the bat is cost, it's 130 for the race, plus flights, lodging and the like. Although if I'm on the east coast I could go visit my grand parents which is something that I really need to do anyway, so maybe it's all a sign I should run the race.

03.04.14 - Tuesday

Not much to say about today really. I skipped my workout to go drink (it was Mardi Gras after all) with the boy, but I ate well. I'll consolidate two workouts into one on Wednesday.

I'm still thinking about the Vermont Ultra Beast. It might kill me, but that's kind of why I want to do it. I'll have to decide soon, but once I commit to the race entry fee I'm really in. And I'd have to fly to Vermont for the race too, which is a cost concern obviously. If I commit to this race I'll really need to dial in my diet and workout ethic to get my body as prepaired as I can by September. I kinda wish more of my friends were into this kind of stuff so I'd have somebody to talk to about it. What do you guys think?

Just real quick: AHHHHHHH I JUST REGISTERED FOR THE SPARTAN ULTRA-BEAST IN SEPTEMBER! WTF?!? I'M SO SCARED AND SO EXCITED AT THE SAME TIME!

ahem... yeah. I just finished my registration. I know this will be a huge challenge for me, not just the race itself, but keeping my diet and training consistent and pushing hard towards this goal. Luckily fear is a great motivator and I really don't want a DNF.

Now for my wrap-up: 03.05.14

I ate well all day, made paleo/whole30 pad thai for the boy and I for dinner, and even got a quick walk in during lunch.

More importantly when I woke up today (3/6) I felt great. The magnesium supplements have really been helping, and this was one of the first times in a while that I've woken up before the alarm and felt really rested. All those are good things.

I thought about the Spartan Race all day today and wavered between fear of racing and excitement about the challenge. In the end I know the only way I'll be successful is to commit to the process, really dial in my diet for the next few months and work on training like an athlete. That means early bed times, minimal alcohol, treating food as fuel, not as a source of comfort and knowing that every training run and workout will get me closer to the finish line. Failure is not an option.

• Like 3

Alright I'm going to wrap up yesterday (3/6) and today (3/7) in one post since I'll be backpacking all weekend and away from my computer.

03.06.14 - I feel like I ate a ridiculous amount of food today. Bacon, eggs, and grilled peppers for breakfast with tea. Lunch was burgers in lettuce wraps with pickles, a little goat cheese and tomato, I had a Larabar for snack, some fruit, and sweet potato and ground beef for dinner. Actually I probably ate too much for dinner considering I had to run and then go to soccer. But I was super hungry when I got home. I find there is a small line between eating enough to be satisfied, and eating a little less so that you can actually go workout without feeling weighed down. So while I didn't over eat, I ran a little slower because I was full. That's why I have the rule about eating more than 3hrs before the start of the race.

Anyway the run was good, and I broke it up every 10mins with some circuit training and went for exactly 50mins, then I drove to indoor soccer (we won!) and played there for 50mins. I was sweating so much by the end and I drank a ton of water, easily more than a gallon over the course of the day. It makes me think that I need to find a paleo way to get electrolytes in as my training gets longer. I tend to lose a lot of salt when I sweat and I learned from triathlons that water just doesn't cut it after a bit. Maybe a honey/lemon/salt form of Gatorade thing? That sounds gross, so I'll have to experiment when I can have sweeteners again. Still going good with no gluten and sugar. I'm also a few days without alcohol. Since we'll be backpacking this weekend it will be easy to avoid, unless I have  a Friday night dinner drink.

03.07.14 - IT's Friday y'all! Today is a rest day and this weekend will be spent backpacking across San Jose island. I'm really excited to try out all my new backpacking gear, and I'm viewing this weekend as endurance training for my spartan races. Plus, hiking under a load is a good way to build strength.

The best part of today (so far) is that I woke up feeling really good, and before my alarm went off and had a really leisurely morning. I even had time to bake the chicken wings I had marinating over night, so now I'm set for dinner too. After work I'll head to the store to grab backpacking food. I think I've formulated a way to make paleo pop-tarts, but I'll get back to you on that. On weekends like this I get more lax about the amount of nuts and dried fruit I eat (so long as there is no added sugar), and also allow myself dairy because unless you have a de-hydrator or are ok with sugar/soy/preservatives in your beef jerkey light backpacking foods become hard to come by. I might actually just buy a dehydrator.

Is that the one that's, like, 30 miles long? :o

Hahaha yeah, it's billed as 26.2+ but from what I've heard people say it's anywhere from 28-30 miles. Go big or go home I suppose :P

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines