Fultonator Swings into Spring

fultonator

Day 10 Report:

Met my protein goal! Had a steak and peas for dinner, so that helped.

Had a one hour swing dance class. Learned 1 new move in that class (a variation on the neck roll - looks really cool!). But forgot to mention that my husband and I also learned a new jump on our own earlier this week (a throw out), so we've already learned 2 new moves for the week. :) We are trying to slowly build up the difficulty of the jumps we can do, so we can move on to some aerials!

For the rest of the week, I'm going to focus on getting BBWW done, as I only did it once last week, and I really want to start improving my strength.

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Jump? Do tell. Have you learned aerials yet? Do you do other dances? Shag? Balboa?

The jumped we learned this week is the throw-out (done during a swing-out). Here's a breakdown:

We haven't learned any major aerials yet, as I need to get stronger. Aerials should be equal work done by the Leader and Follower, and I'm simply not strong enough to throw/lift my own body weight yet. But I'll get there eventually! The 3 jumps we do are pretty simple: The frog jump, the frog throw, and the lindy throw-out. At first we did mini-jumps, but now we can actually get a decent bit of air!

We don't do shag or balboa unfortunately. We don't have any club members here who know how to teach those.

We do East Coast style swing: Lindy hop and a bit of Charleston.

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Day 11 Report:

Made my protein goal for today, although I went above my calories for the day as well. I'm still counting this as a win as I don't find it that hard to cut back calories, but I do struggle to get enough protein.

Did BBWW today. Wasn't as tired as I was after the first time, so might have to start upping the ante a bit.

Overall, good day, but work has been tiring and I am so ready for the weekend.

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Good work making your protein goal again! That's like 4 or 5 days in a row now, right? Awesome! 

Any plans for this upcoming weekend, or just glad it's coming?

RedCedar uses the pronouns they/them/theirs. What pronouns do you prefer? 

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

I said to the sun, "tell me about the Big Bang".

The sun said, "It hurts to become." 
~A.G. 

Any plans for this upcoming weekend, or just glad it's coming?

No real plans as of yet, but this will be a rare free Saturday in March, as I'm working the 15th and the 29th. So... I'd like to use this Saturday to its full potential, which means getting out of the house and doing something... anything! I might just stroll around downtown and get a cup of coffee, might go for a hike (although the ice might prevent that), might go to the gym, might do some more photography. I'm just counting down the hours now!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 12 Report:

Didn't get enough protein today. Boo! I got distracted during a looooong day at work and didn't pay attention to my diet today. BUT I made a list of snacks/meals high in protein and I'll be grocery shopping this weekend and making a mealplan with a focus on protein.

Life quest:

Worked on some poetry for about 1 hour today and boy am I rusty! I'll be lucky if I get one poem written during this challenge!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Belated Day 13 Report:

Made my protein goal. I feel like I've eaten enough eggs and beef to last a lifetime. But I did go grocery shopping and tried to get some other foods with protein. I've got peas, cottage cheese, nuts, beans.

didn't do much else. Had a lazy day for the most part.  Wandered around downtown a bit, but nothing I'd consider counting towards "exercise" on My Fitness Pal.

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 14 report:

Made my protein goal today, but I went way over my calorie goal as we had a turkey dinner at my in-laws. It actually wasn't the turkey dinner that did me in, but the dessert. Despite meeting my protein goal for the day, I've decided not to count this since I went so far over my calorie goal, since it's not in the spirit of my dietary goals. The point is to eat more protein while maintaining healthy portions. If I allow myself to count a success despite overeating, then I could technically eat 3 greasy burgers in a day and meet my protein goal!

Did my BBWW today. Yay! 

Art: Did another 30 minutes of poetry. I'm very rusty and finding it super hard at the moment. Hopefully I'll get back in the swing of things. I'd like to finish this poem before the end of the challenge.

Week 2 Summary:

Dancing: Did 3 hours of dancing and learned 2 new moves. :)

Strength: Did BBWW twice. :)

Diet: Met my protein goal 5 days out of 7.

Art life quest:

Did 1.5 hours of poetry this week! It feels nice to think about words again. 

Next week:

Going to refocus on my eating. I know I can get enough protein without eating so much. Practice makes perfect!

• Like 2

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 15 Report:

Made my protein goal today.  Thank you, leftover turkey meat!

Did 2 hours of swing dancing, an hour of which was pretty intense Charleston... so yeah, I'm pretty tired.

Adventurer's mini-quest:

The new mini-quest is to try something (or work toward something) that you've told yourself you can't do. I've never done a cartwheel, so my goal is to do one. Well, maybe not to do one, but at least to start working on it. I'm thinking the biggest battle will be gaining some more upper body strength (my upper body strength is... well... subpar).  Any advice on learning my first cartwheel?  I've googled some tutorials, but they focused more on the mechanics of doing one, and not so much on prior training to get to that point.  

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

I think the issue with cartwheels is there's not too much prior training that goes into it persay. I haven't tried to do one since I was a child...but I think that having done one as a child is telling. But I'd definitely suggest focusing on arm and back strength and balance, so as wovercast said the path to a handstand would be similar. Other than that, I'd just say to try it and see what happens, just make sure there's mats, or a soft surface, around.

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

I've had a long tough week at work so haven't been updating daily as I usually do... here is a bit of catch-up!

Day 16 Report:

Did not make my protein goal (68/70, darn!). Didn't do anything else either.

Day 17 Report:

Super long day. I was at a meeting/conference all day. It was catered and while I made good choices of what was there (avoided the bread section, skipped the desserts), I had to eat SOMETHING and there wasn't much choice. What they had available for lunch was: 2 kinds of soup, bread, a pesto pasta salad, and potato salad. No veggie trays, no meat (besides the beef stew). As a result, came nowhere remotely close to my protein goal. They did have a cheese/meat/bread tray as a snack and I loaded up on some prociutto, but that was about it. Bummed!

On the plus side, I did 1 hour of swing dancing and learned 3 new things! This class was devoted to variations in tandem Charleston; I learned the "whirlie-bird", a double-spin to reverse tandem, and a simple variation to switch to and from reverse and tandem. It was a heavy class!

Day 18 Report:

Made above my protein goal, finally!

Didn't do anything else though. It had a snow storm. I was in the house all day (worked from home) and was a bit bummed (I tend to get depressed when I can't leave the house).

Adventurer's mini-quest:

Haven't worked on this yet! I will be focusing on this during the weekend.

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

I wouldn't worry too much about the Day 16 protein goal, I'd say that you were close enough for it to count. Eating at hosted events can be pretty tough, they usually don't take dietary restriction into too much of concern, and just generally figure out what's inexpensive to put out there, so I wouldn't feel too horrible about that one either. All in all you're doing fairly decently this challenge, so that's awesome.

4.44%
4.44%

The crazy work week continues!  Didn't do too well on my challenge the last couple of days. I'm trying very hard to refocus. It's been rough!

Day 19 Report:

Made my protein goal, although I didn't eat as healthy as I would have liked. I worked until 10PM, which meant that I ended up getting take-out for supper. Not my finest moment. This put be 400 calories over for the day.

I was able to escape work from 7 to 8pm and my husband and I went to a Salsa class, so I got an hour of dancing in there at least. Still not enough to burn the extra 400 calories I consumed, but I'm very glad I was able to get in at least a bit of exercise.

Day 20 Report:

I had to work all day Saturday. I was running a winter workshop for outdoor educators, which meant I got in a few hours of snowshoeing. However, because I worked until 10pm the night before, I didn't have time to make a good bag lunch like I wanted to (had no time to go to the grocery store). This meant that I didn't get my protein goal for the day. I simply did not eat enough food, especially given the fact that I was snowshoeing all day. This left me pretty hungry.

Saturday night my husband and I went to a swing dance social. We danced a lot, so that was great. I had 1 beer and some chips and salsa, amounting to about 500 calories, which was my (not so great) supper replacement. All in all, I got TONS of great cardio exercise on Saturday, but did not get enough protein and didn't eat well (or eat enough) for the day.

Adventurer's mini-quest:

Haven't made very much progress on doing a cartwheel, as I was so busy with work this week. I've done a bit of practicing with the basic movement. Tonight I plan to bite the bullet and attempt one. It will probably be a bit sloppy, but I'll give it a go. My husband is going to spot me to make sure I don't kill myself. :P

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day  21 Report:

After the business of Friday and Saturday, by Sunday I was wiped. I stayed home and did some chores, but didn't do any exercise. Made my protein goal, though! :)

Week 3 Summary:

All in all it was a very busy work week with lots of overtime, and I am beat!

Dancing: Did 4 hours of dancing (3 hours of swing and 1 hour of salsa) and learned 3 new swing moves.  :)

Strength: Didn't do any BBWW this week.

Diet: Met my protein goal 4 days out of 7.

Art life quest:

It was a super busy week and doing anything other than my basic diet and exercise goals was just not the cards, unfortunately.

Focus for next week:

Hopefully, I won't be working so much. This week, I didn't find the time to do any BBWW, so I'll be very mindful to fit in time for strength next week. But after a stressful week, my overall focus will be to find time to relax and work on my side quest!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

It's really hard to eat right when your schedule is so out of whack or demanding. You're doing the best you can under the circumstances!! Good job! :) Did you do a cartwheel?

Sent from somewhere in time and space using Tapatalk

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

It's really hard to eat right when your schedule is so out of whack or demanding. You're doing the best you can under the circumstances!! Good job! :) Did you do a cartwheel?

I completely forgot to mention that carthwheel mini-quest!

Did I DO a cartwheel? Hell no!

Did I ATTEMPT a cartwheel? Yes I did. And that was all the was required of the mini-quest: just to try something you told yourself you couldn't do.

I still don't have the strength to hold up my body, even for those few seconds of a cartwheel. I did, however, improve my form a bit. At first, I was very lop-sided and not keeping a straight line with my hands and feet on the floor. Now I'm keeping a straighter line. But instead of doing a full cartwheel, I can only do a little "hop". But it's attainable!

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

That's awesome!!! I used to do cartwheels and round offs all the time when I was younger... I think if probably die if I tried one now! I'll just live vicariously through you! :)

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

Day 22 Report:

I've decided I should try to post my meals here, instead of just saying whether or not I've made my protein goal. It might help with feedback on ways to get more protein for those days that I fall short. 

Made my protein goal: 

Breakfast = oatmeal with blueberries

Lunch = Chicken stew

Supper = steak and mushrooms

Snacks = yogurt, apple

Did 2 hours of dance. I actually helped teach the beginner swing class this week as the normal follower teacher couldn't make it. So that was pretty cool.

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Sounds like you're doing awesome! Great job on the attempted cartwheel!

4.44%
4.44%

Day 23 Report

Made my protein goal: 

Breakfast = oatmeal with blueberries

Lunch = forgot at home! (so had crackers and cheese from work)

Supper = steak and mushrooms

Snacks = yogurt, apple, almonds

This was a non-exercise day. I am still a bit sore from dance.

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines