LostOne1775 Getting Ready for the Marines: Part 2

Ba'sini'on

I am really happy for you LostOne, it looks like things are moving forwards for you. I think you can aim for 15 pull ups. Show the boys who is the boss of the pull up.

When you get the chance look up Quickdraw on NF he is a current Marine Sergeant. He is doing an awesome pull up routine, Strongarm I think it is called. 

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

You are moving forward in many ways....but a guy should always pick a woman up...at her house!  If grandma/grandpa are an issue, within a couple of blocks of your house! 

Keep doing what needs to be done.  Find a way.  Adapt overcome!

• Like 1

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

Lycan Thorn: Thanks Thorn! I'll look him up today and say hi :) and I'm going for 20 pullups, and get so good at it they look effortles hahaha!

BruteSquad: I insisted on walking, this whole let the guy pay and open doors is....new to say the least. I'm used to doing everything myself because at home, I guess what's normal for other families is weakness to mine. Asking for help, hugging, even crying is snuffed out. Not that we don't hug, it was just very rarely and quick.

LOL yeah my grandmother already told me she doesn't want me socializing, even with friends. I'm to only stay in the house, look busy, and only leave to run. And then the guy works a lot so it's hard to find time to meet :(

Gotta adapt and overcome!!

Eilyd: Aaaaaw! Thanks!!

Terinatum: Just gotta keep thinking that, cause sometimes I don't feel the greatest or even worth the effort at all.

Sorry guys I haven't been updating, been trying to adapt to living in suberia and getting through some depression. Training has been going great, but I've noticed that the change in air has destroyed my time on my running. 8 years living in completely clean air enviroment, has spoiled my lungs. Right now I have a constant headache and even walking is hard because it feels like I'm trying to breathe in water. But I'm getting better, slowly adapting :P

Got to 2 full pullups yesterday!!

And I've noticed a lot of slimming down in some areas, but the scale hasn't budged. Either I need a new scale or the weight isn't dropping and the body fat is. Oh well, just have to keep going no matter what.

• Like 1

BTW found this old photo of me two years ago, XXXL shirt, and 22 pants. And theywere tight!post-13552-0-51725500-1395859381_thumb.j

BruteSquad: It doesn't feel like I've come that far, it just feels like I'm stuck and am the same old person :(

I'm learning that slowly, he's a really patient guy and I'm glad for that. I don't mean to be but I am dominate around guys, and it's mainly because of my mother. But he's been understanding and doesn't get offended when I come on to strong.

I have been training still but I've been going through a reivaluation of my life and my goals. I still want to be a Marine, but am I doing all I can to get there? Or have I been half assing it like I've done with everything in my life?

I think I'm not doing all I can, I'm not completely focused on what I need to do.

I'll get back to you guys on what my plans are, I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Ahhhh, now you hit on it.  No matter how far you come, you will always be you.  You will not be someone else.  That is a good thing.  But it means that you have to get to a good place with yourself and who you are.  Accept the things that are not going to change about you, and work on changing the things that you find failing.  Such as the half efforts....what drives that and why?  What actions can you take to make it full efforts? 

I have been the same me since I was 12.  The difference is the habits I developed and the knowledge and experience I have built.  It changes aspects of who I am, but I am still the same core Brute.

I have to admit I am somewhat amused by women that try to dominate me...well anyone but more so a woman in a relationship with me. :playful:

• Like 1

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

I think there is a vast difference between a woman trying to dominate a man and a woman being a strong woman and not just saying- well you're the man so you may go first (in whatever).  You do not have to give up being strong to be in a relationship. 

I do not try to dominate my BF- he stands his own.

I view him as a rock. Solid- steady-none plus. He is fairly unflappable. Always there for me no matter what- with a light house on top guiding me.  Just because he doesn't make a big scene or try to take over the world- doesn't mean he is not strong. 

I am the sea- I am the storm- I am fierce and beautiful and will thrash against the rocks but they are always there for me- even when I'm done thrashing. 

It has a lot less to do with domination and just being YOU and being you with him- and him being strong enough to be with you and your strengths and weakness..  

The question is- is he a shore line with trees- that may compromise under strong winds and storms?

or is he a rock face that will stand strong and true under the weather?

Keep working on you- there is always room for improvement- but we can only do so much within the confines of our lives. I swear I could be doing so much more- but the reality is my focus is not there- so I have to be willing to be committed to some things- and not so much to others.

Just be aware and keep moving forward- you will do the best you can- I know you will!!!

• Like 2

After reading the eloquent verbiage of the ever wonderful I-Jo, I felt perhaps I should explain my amusement.

For a man or a woman, no matter how dominant the other person tries to be, you have to give them that power over you.  If you do not, other than physical confrontation, they cannot dominate you. So without my consent, someone trying to dominate me amuses me.  Of course I don't give my consent as I see no need for someone to dominate me.  I am pretty much okay with me.

This is a big deal.  People have power over you only if you grant it.  Conversely, you only have power over someone if they grant it.  As humans we develop negotiating tactics and implied authorities as well as a bunch of other intricate social norms.  But the bottom line is you can keep your power if you consciously choose to do so.  And it is okay not to run things all the time.

As I-Jo points out, a truly strong person does not have to take the tower to be strong.  They simply need to have faith that they can deal with whatever comes along; that is confidence in themselves.  It doesn't take away from others, it is simply knowing you can do what needs to be done when it needs doing.  Being able to look at something and say, "Yep, I messed that up."  And then go about fixing it without being overly concerned....you didn't make a mistake, you learned something.....when it matters there is no bravado, there is simply the ability to get up and keep doing what needs doing.

Now when I write...there might be a little bravado.....it is an Ogre thing.....

• Like 3

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

BruteSquad: Half effort comes from lack of motivation and how I was raised. I was never pushed to do be better or to go beyond just good enough. And since I already have a low view of myself, it's hard to better myself when all that goes in my head is, "Why bother?" and "You're not worth the effort! So just give up!"

NF has been helping me put all effort into changing my life around. But it ultimately comes down to me and I'm working on stopping the "I don't feel like it" mentality.

I just have a fear of being what my sis calls a fishwife or harpy queen. The women in my family are very dominant over the men in their lives, the men are emasculated in my eyes. And I don't want to be that I want to be a partner to my husband, his other half. I don't expect perfection just a relationship both of us are happy to be in, and can take on all obstacles as a team.

I-Jo: I want that kind of guy. Given the fact that I'm crazy, wild, and come off as childish and unstable, I need a rock who will strengthen my weaknesses and I will do the same for him.

So far the guy is a rock. He motivates me and doesn't take my excuses, he really has been good for me.

Love all the bravado and perfect explanation of what a relationship should be! It really lifted me up today :D Also made me look at the guy more closely and review everything about him. And I am fully convinced that he's one of the best leaps of faith I've ever taken.

My training has been upped due to my grandfather. He's used to do ultrarunning and wants to get back to training for one last race, almost 100 miles! And he needs someone to keep his pace so la da da da, I offered to help him. He hasn't ran in 6 months so we only went 2 miles today. For an older guy he's fast! And his recovery abilities are the Wolverine scary! I didn't want to slow him down so I had to push to keep going.

Tomorrow he's going for a longer run.....oh boy. I could just bow out, LOL but then where would be the challenge to my lazy mind, and fun in that ;) I'll keep you guys posted on whether or not I survived....what am I saying? I survived the Zombie Run, and I ran and finished the Super Spartan!! Time to nut up or shut up.

• Like 3

Matt_72: In some ways yes, he's better at resting for the next run the day after. But he's slow and has terrible breathing tecniques that leave him winded uphills. So I beat him on the short runs and he beats me of course, on the longer ones. Though that's mainly because he has better shows, and mine need to be replaced :)

Quickdraw:post-13552-0-47476100-1397173654_thumb.j

• Like 1

Goal #1: B: Due to me moving and a family dasagreement I've had to postpone the 300pft twice. So hence a B. But I've stuck to eating right and still have lost weight :) Damn scale won't reveal it though! But my pants have, so take that scale :D

Goal #2: B: Haven't written in it everyday, but I was close :P It actually gives me time to reflect on me, and since I've been hanging out with the guy lately, it's given me time to extensively review the two of us. Don't want to go overboard and deem him the one, just because he's the first guy I've gone out with. Also writing my thoughts have shown how much I've changed from how I used to be, and I'm proud of who I've become.

Goal #3: C: Ugh, I'm really upset about this one. I could complain about not having a proper desk or place to draw. But in the end it all comes down to just getting out there, wherever sitting place, and drawing. Even if I just walk around drawing in a store I'll still be drawing!

Goal #4: A: Almost didn't make it on this one. It was easier back at home because there were animals to take care of, and land to manage. But in suberbia, there's hardly anything. No wonder kids are watching t.v. all the time! It's boring here, I even have been sneaking out at night to chase the coyotes in the forest out back. No lie.

Life Goal: :( Nope, can't do it. I visited the recruiters and it turns out that weight isn't the only issue. I need a doctor's note that says my ankle is in working order, along with past medical history. *sigh* Just when I'm almost to my goal, something pops up.

Thanks guys for helping me out with everything. I'll be on NF more often now that I tweaked and updated the table. See you guys next challenge.

I know they seem huge, but don't let the paperwork hurdles discourage you.  I (almost) broke my nose twice during college, and the paperwork to prove I was still good to go was an outright nightmare.  I was also well above even the accession-standard weight limit.  Here I am almost 7 years later, a Sergeant, second enlistment, right in the middle of the allowed weight range.

All of which is just to say, you can do this.  If you want it bad enough, there's no closed doors, only obstacles.

(We can have Marine-specific conversation over in messaging, I dunno if you saw I hit you back.)

• Like 1
"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Got a new hair do, what do you guys think?

I like how I can look like I have short hair when I pull it back. Seriously though, I couldv'e made an IT out of the hair that was cut. Never had my hair this short before, on the bright side my head is lighter so maybe my running will be faster :P

Trying to be what I've always my imagined myself to look like. I would've gotten my first tattoo already but my nana had a fit when she saw my hair, and said if I got a tattoo I'm out of her house. And here I thought I had escaped the "parenting".

post-13552-0-88792400-1397318794_thumb.j

post-13552-0-65496200-1397318809_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks good short!

(Personal opinion, hold off on the ink til after you're in; you need a waiver for each tattoo, and in this drawdown climate, recruiters are going to favor people who require less paperwork.)

"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Good luck on the Marines, that's pretty bad-ass.

Level 2 Rebel
STR: 5    DEX: 1    STA: 7    CON: 6    WIS: 4    CHA: 4

"The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward."

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

My mom said the same things about tattoos (and piercings) I did it and went home and nothing happened.  She never like them but she never kicked me out either.  But even still now at my age I am debating on telling her I'm getting another tattoo or just letting her find out the hard way.

My self-worth, beauty, strength, and overall awesomeness is not defined by numbers.

12STR  13.75CON  5STA  12WIS   14CHA  6DEX        1 fire flower

Current Challenge   #8  #7   #6  #5  Unofficial  #4  #3  #2

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it first."  -The Pirate Captian

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines