Anim07734: Needs a Witty Title

Anim07734

I'm still working on the exact wording for my main quest, something to encapsulate the desire to perfect myself, body, mind, and soul, and constantly seeking new challenges to test how far I've come along that path.  For now I'll stick with something simple: Let's go have an adventure!

My motivation is equally simple: Grow or Die.  Every time I've gotten to a place in my life where I start to think I'm doing well enough, I stagnate and lose a piece of my life.  I'm tired of letting that happen, so I've got to accept that the only way to live is to constantly challenge myself.

Challenge Themesong:  Stone Sour - "Reborn"

Goals for this Challenge:

1:  Cook twice a week and eat all the leftovers (+2 Con, +2 Wis)- this is something I keep having problems with.  Either I don't cook and eat fast food or I cook too much and throw half of it away.  I'm getting better at cooking for one, but need to make it a consistent habit.  Prepping for a week's worth of protein shakes or omelets will count for one "meal" as well.

2:  Workout 5 days per week (+1 Str, +2 Dex, +1 Sta)- I made it here by the end of last challenge, but want to ensure it becomes a permanent habit.  No set schedule yet, though ideally I'll do 3 days of bodyweight/sand bag training and 2-3 days of running/sports.  Also want to find a regular yoga class I like.

3:  Stay hydrated (+2 Con, +2 Sta)-  For me this typically means 3-4 bottles of water a day.  I've been doing well at work, but forgetting over the weekends.  If I want to keep performing at my best, especially with another Florida summer on its way, I need to get this under control now.

Life:  Clean house/Finish what I started (+3 Wis)- My apartment is currently full of half finished projects and it's almost to the point where I can't work on the current projects because of all the junk leftover from previous ones.  I need to either finish or get rid of 4 major projects this challenge, then reassess.  Two minor projects will count as one major for scoring purposes.  No definitive list of what counts, as writing one would be a major project by itself. :rolleyes-new:

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I feel you on the cooking struggles! I've started freezing leftovers when possible, so if I do cook too much I can reheat it in a week or two and have leftovers all over again. I'm still figuring out what freezes well and what doesn't, but there's some great advice online if you just search for how to freeze leftovers.

Level 3 Dwarf

Last Challenge: Elli_song Can't Afford to Lose

What might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a jouney. - Lemony Snicket

And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. - J.K. Rowling

Looking good for this challenge :) Hopefully you'll be able to build on the success at the end of last challenge :D 

I'm the same with hydration :S at work I go through water like it's going out of fashion but at home I'm a bit less active with it

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Good first day, leftover porkchop and veggies for lunch; meant to do a strength day, but it was so nice out I went running instead; wasn't very hungry, so ended up just having an apple with peanut butter and some raisins for dinner; only 2.5 bottles of water, but I did well enough on my run that I'll count it as enough for the day.

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Doing well so far:

Tuesday: 3 bottles of water at work; cooked "italian veggie stew" (ie spaghetti sauce with mixed veggies) and prepped smoothie stuff for the next couple weeks, so that's my two meals (assuming I finish my leftovers); did a strength circuit while the sauce was cooking: 60lb sandbag clean and press x5, pullup x3, pushup x10, 2min rest for 5 sets; hung up the 2 pictures that have been cluttering my floor for the past couple months (minor project)

Wednesday: 2.5 bottles of water at work, plus 1 with dinner; short run workout so I could make it to dinner with friends, but got my best time since restarting my workouts

Today's looking good so far, almost finished my second bottle of water and having leftover stew for lunch.  Need to decide what I'm doing for my strength workout tonight, but I normally don't decide until it's time to start.

Weekend was spotty, but overall it was a good first week.  Ended up doing mini-challenge work both thursday and friday, but didn't track time or reps, other than 60s plank and side planks with 15s rest between them (personal best).  Got restless saturday morning, so I did 100m sprint/100m walk for 8 sets, then 15 walking lunges each leg for 2 sets (then I focused on on not collapsing).  Didn't stay hydrated saturday, pretty sure I had more alcohol at my friends' wedding than I had water all day.  Looks like my overall efforts are paying off though, as the hangover wasn't terrible and I got ~2.5 bottles worth of water sunday, plus 2 big glasses of OJ.

Forgot to pack clothes this morning and the weather's looking bad anyway, so looks like a strength day tonight; have to see how I do on the new minichallenge stuff.

I've decided to split my current workouts into 3 groups instead of the 2 I started with.  I've got strength (pullups, pushups, squats, lunges, and sand bag work), running (distance and sprints), and flexibility (yoga and minichallenge work).  Obviously none of these are exclusive and I'll combine them quite often, but it helps to have the differentation in my own head so I can plan out what I'm doing each week.  If I can maintain the moment I had last week, I'll get 2 workouts of each type per week.

I'm currently at 3 workouts for the week, and am staying fairly well hydrated, though the humidity is slowly increasing as we get closer to summer and that will increase my water requirement.

Finished my leftovers from last week on Tuesday, and cooked my first meal for this week last night.  Two meals a week might be too much given the amount of leftovers I have now, but I'll stick with it for this challenge and see how things pan out.

Making progress on my current project: painting a Mountain King for my Hordes army, but it's slow going on such a large model. (It took me over an hour to do the first coat on it's skin, and that's less than half the model.)

I've done my own experiments (you can add egg to chicken stir fry, go with or without cheese, add different spices, etc), but am always up to try something new.  My main problem is an inability to cook for less than 6 people, even though I'm now living by myself.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet: this game is awesome.

Between daylight savings and my ex-GF's birthday tuesday, motivation this week has been tough.  I've still got my 3 workouts so far, but the intensity's been lacking, so I'm going to need to focus on that.  And go to bed early tonight, so I can try to catch up on sleep.

All-in-all, last week went okay, 5 workouts, 2 meals cooked with leftovers for the first eaten, and finished painting my Mountain King (pictures to come).  The weather's messing with my hydration requirements, so I'm not sure how well I actually did, other than sunday was terrible.

Going to Disneyland with the family this week (it's my neice's first trip), so I'm going to have to stay focused on getting my workouts and eating as well as possible.  Depending on how much walking I do, that may be my workout a couple days.

Well I think that people do an awful lot of walking around Disney land so you should definitely at least let it contribute to your workouts :) But good job so far, with some tough motivational week and you still got 5 workouts in! 

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Went running after work Monday before I left, then did a pretty decent bodyweight workout in the hotel gym the first morning I was there, but got completely shown up by the guy doing handstand pushups (sets of 1, but still impressive).  I'm counting carrying my niece around for a couple hours Thursday as a workout; not exactly strenuous, but it was 40lb of small child going up, down, and around while she tried not to fall asleep and I tried to keep her calm-ish.  Still need 2 more workouts for the week, but fortunately I have two more days in the week.

Park food was terrible, even if most of it was tasty; only decent meal I had was at the Pirate's Dinner Adventure (awesome show btw, made me want to learn gymnastics even more).  And I managed to OD on sunlight (yes, it is possible when you literally glow under a black light), so I didn't manage to stay hydrated at all, even with 3+ bottles of water a couple days.

Apparently this is not a good year for travelling, as I've caught something the past two trips.  Ended up resting sunday instead of getting my 5th workout and not sure I'll be up for a real workout today (though I have gotten 3 so far this week).  I think I'm mostly rehydrated, though the weather not making up it's mind (going from 40's in the morning to 70's in the afternoon) and being sick is making it difficult to tell for sure.  Managed to get both of my cooked meals last week (made a roast for my DnD group on sunday, yay for no leftovers!), but only got the first this week last night, going to have to cheat again and subject others to my cooking to hit the goal this week.

Based all of my painted trollbloods last night (counting it as a half project), but looking at them this morning, they'll probably need some touchup before I get pictures.  Costuming session planned for this weekend, so depending on what comes out of that is what I'll be working on next.

Did my first beach run of the year saturday morning; 10min out, 1min rest, 10min back led to unhappy feet, even though it was only ~2mi total.  The blisters were gone the next day though, so it shouldn't take long to get back into it.  Which is good, as I'm signing up for a mud run on 17May and beach runs are the best training I've got for that.

Started working on my improved Nightcrawler costume following the planning session yesterday, should finish the boots tonight, then I need to decide how I want to do the gloves and start figuring out the tail.  On that note, a question for the climbers out there:  I want to use a climbing harness to attach the tail with the goal of being able to hang from it - should I wear the harness backwards to use the correct attachment points or connect the tail to the back of the harness to get the proper fit?  I'll be doing my preliminary designs so it can be configured both ways and tried before committing, but if someone with more experience in climbing equipment can chime in, I'd appreciate it.

Not sure how I managed to go this long without updating, but anyway... Last week of the challenge went okay.  Got my 5 workouts, but only cooked once and ended up throwing out 3 meals worth of spoiled leftovers.  Hydration was pretty much the same as previous weeks, good some days, questionable others.

Going to have to check my log when I get home tonight before I grade myself for the challenge.

Challenge Assessment:

1:  Cook twice a week and eat all the leftovers (+2 Con, +2 Wis)- I was pretty spotty on this, cooked twice 3 weeks and once the other 3.  I managed to eat most of my leftovers, but threw out 3 meals that spoiled and have a freezer full of protein shake ingredients that I haven't touched in weeks. 9/12 meals gives me a C, which feels about right.

2:  Workout 5 days per week (+1 Str, +2 Dex, +1 Sta)- This goal went really well, I only missed one workout, and that was the week I flew across the country to Disneyland and caught a cold on the way back.  29/30 gives me a solid A; time to step things up by following an actual workout plan.

3:  Stay hydrated (+2 Con, +2 Sta)-  This didn't end up being a SMART goal, as the target quantity varied considerably day-to-day and the scoring was completely subjective to how I felt that day and the next morning.  I'm giving myself a C for lack of any hard data.

Life:  Clean house/Finish what I started (+3 Wis)- I'd like to say I did well on this, but my apartment doesn't seem any cleaner or more organized despite finishing 2 minor projects and 2 major.  Regardless, according to the stated criteria, 3/4 is a C.

Results: Overall score is a C+ (Str +1, Dex +2, Sta +2, Con +2, Wis +2.5)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines