Elli_song's Inconceivable Challenge

elli_song

I really like your piggybank idea and I'm glad you're still not encountering problems with the vitamin intake. I guess you really managed to solve this problem, huh? :)

Sueperstar is wise :D I was about to arrive all fulminating because *takes a deep breath* I HATE KNEE PUSH-UPS! *calms down*. Seriously, I think it's an almost useless exercise if your aim is to do standard push-ups. 

Wow. This really is news to me. I really want to achieve full pushups so I'm going to try to not do the knee pushups. Would a 'pushup' with a really tiny range of motion also work? So between plank and halfway pushup? :P

Negative push-ups are the answer. You don't try to go up, you only work on going down as slowly as possible :)

Thanks a bunch! I will see how I can incorporate those into my workouts and hopefully soon I'll get a shiny real pushup!

I did some negative push-ups today in addition to my incline push-ups - they're hard! I think I'm going to need to add some extra core work too. I attempted a plank on my forearms, and I was a little surprised how much I struggled. (I can do 10-15 seconds.) I'm going to have to work on that some more.

Level 3 Dwarf

Last Challenge: Elli_song Can't Afford to Lose

What might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a jouney. - Lemony Snicket

And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. - J.K. Rowling

Thanks for the info on the planks, guys! Good to know! I'll just switch to forearms when my wrist is acting up.

I think I should try some negative push-ups, too.

I did some negative push-ups today in addition to my incline push-ups - they're hard! I think I'm going to need to add some extra core work too. I attempted a plank on my forearms, and I was a little surprised how much I struggled. (I can do 10-15 seconds.) I'm going to have to work on that some more.

Yes, they are really hard because you're supposed to be in total control and you train for the full range of motion with the right incline. They will be super effective, I'm sure!

How did your first week go?

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

The past week has gone something along the lines of stressstressstressstressstress rawr! However, my goals are (mostly) going well. The vitamins are fine now. I don't really like the B vitamins - they smell funny, but I'm taking them. I haven't been doing my morning yoga, but I've been making it up at night. I've been frantically trying to finish homework that will be due later that day instead. Half credit, maybe?

I've been pretty consistent with my pushups, but I'm curious about recovery time. I'm constantly sore. I've tried waiting as long as five days to let my muscles recover, but it wasn't enough. I'm not overdoing it and getting massively sore the next day, it's just a constant mild muscle soreness that improves very slowly. Are my workouts less productive if I'm working muscles that are already sore? Should I ease off a little, or just wait for my body to get used to it? It's not a comfort issue - I can deal with it. I'm just curious about how muscle recovery is supposed to work.

Level 3 Dwarf

What might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a jouney. - Lemony Snicket

And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life. - J.K. Rowling

Okay guys, it's reset button time again. Last challenge I used a reset button to establish a new life philosophy, but my resolve has slipped. Right now, I feel completely overwhelmed and stressed out by my life. I haven't been eating or sleeping enough, and I've begun to have nightmares again. Stress-induced neurological problems are resurfacing. I look at my to-do list and feel so overwhelmed that it's hard to do anything at all. I walk in the door at night knowing the house is a wreck, the fridge is mostly empty, and there's no way I'll finish all my homework before it's due, and I just want to cry.

I've been checking the boxes, but I'm missing the heart of this challenge: to decide what is really important in my life and focus on that.

It's time to reprioritize again and start putting first things first. I need to meet my basic survival needs before I even think about accomplishing anything else. I have a right to food, water, sleep, and fresh air. Seriously, if I treated other people the way I treat myself I'd be in jail. I'm going to make something healthy to eat, get a few hours sleep, and expect that everything will look more manageable when I get up tomorrow morning with a fresh outlook on life.

Level 3 Dwarf

Today was better - regular food and sleep really makes a difference. My goal is to make tomorrow better (note: better, not busier) than today, then just continue the trend. I think I can do it. Wish me luck (and dedication, wise decision making, etc.)  :)

Level 3 Dwarf

Good for you for resetting. That's a problem I have sometimes - I set up the challenge and want to continue it, but realize that life has taken a different turn and then I have trouble adjusting.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the overwhelming to-do list. The easiest thing for me to do to help with the messy house is when I see something downstairs that has to go upstairs, I put it at the bottom of the stairs. Quite often I have a little pile of things on the stairs. Then, the next time I go upstairs, I take it with me and at least put it in the correct room, even if not in its "proper place" (if it even has one lol). Since I'm going there anyway, its just a way of being more efficient, and I'm not constantly running up and down stairs. Stuff gets moved to correct locations, and I feel better that at least something is being done, even if its not much.

Good luck, and know that conquering / reducing stress is very important and should maybe be a part of all of our challenges.

I am surviving, and focusing on one thing at a time. I saw a kids' homework technique on Pinterest, where you cut up a folder and only open one flap at a time, so they work through their homework one problem at a time. I need one of those for my to-do list! Seriously, I have a hard time remembering to do One. Thing. At. A. Time. So simple, and yet so hard to implement! Anyway, my stress level is going down, and the outside temperatures are going up, so life is good.

Level 3 Dwarf

I'm aaaalmost to the end of the quarter. I have finals on Monday, a paper due Tuesday, then Spring Break! Also, I'm very excited because today I did a half a push up.  :victorious:  By that, I mean I did a full body push up, but was only able to get half way down if I wanted to come back up again. Still, that's a half a push up I couldn't do before!

Level 3 Dwarf

I have officially finished this quarter! I finally have time to do some desperately needed spring cleaning and spend some extra time with my daughter. This week I'm aiming to get my food situation straightened out so that I'll be able to eat regular meals next quarter. Also, I intend to jump start my morning yoga and writing routine so that it will already be going strong when I get busy again next quarter. And now, sleep!!

Level 3 Dwarf

I had a very productive spring break. I accomplished most of the things I set out to, like cleaning the apartment and stocking the cupboards with food. I also had a lot of work done on the car. I just wanted to say that I'm SUPER proud of myself today because I installed a new hood lift support (the piston that holds the hood open) on my car today. The old one was stuck, and I had finally given up and called a male friend with more upper body strength to help me. Then I decided to give it one last try with the pry bar, and it worked!  :D I seriously love increases in functional body strength. That's where it's at!  :applouse:

• Like 1

Level 3 Dwarf

I was starting to think I might not get it this challenge, and trying not to be too disappointed, but today it finally happened. I CAN DO A PUSH UP! Only one, but seriously, first real push up ever! *wild applause*  :applouse:

Level 3 Dwarf

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines