Liberator's 3rd Challenge: Building Habits for a Beautiful Back & a Masterful Mind

Liberator

Liberator's 3rd Challenge: Building habits for a Beautiful Back & a Masterful Mind

#1 AM Gratitude Statements
Love writing these things! I aim for three a day but it gets hard to stop at just three.
   5 minutes daily AM
#2 AM Meditation and Yoga Practice and Light Therapy
10 minute daily AM meditation with red light
  5 minute daily AM yoga routine - sun salutations A x5
  5 minute daily AM back stretches and chest openers & foam roller  
#3 Diet
Carb Nite Solution w/Bulletproof coffee
High fat, med protein and ultra-low carb; 30g w/weekly carb nite refeed
Current: size 8, weight 145-150lb
Goal: size 6, weight 140-145lb
#4 Posture
All Day Posture work; mindfulness awareness of my shoulder blades to open chest.
I need a reminder to fix my posture when I am sitting; a poster, a bracelet, a thing on my finger… something visual…
A photo of Kelly Starrett telling me to "organize" perhaps  :playful:
#5 Strength 
Weight-lifting 2x week  20 minutes after work
Monday or Tuesday then Thursday or Friday at School/Work
Big Five Workout
Chest Press - 60lb inc to 75lb
Pull Down -85lb inc to 100lb
Rowing - 85lb inc to 100lb
Shoulder Press - 25lb inc to 40lb
Leg Press - 275lb inc to 325lb
5:00 PM Home Workout (for off days)
50 squats
50 lounges 
50 jumping jacks
25 pushups

Side Quests:
Organization & Planning
The biggest challenge for me in my life is organization.
Creating habits & Planning to get more out of life
Use Identity Statement: I am organized and focused

1 - Create Daily routines
2 - Declutter & Organize my home
3 - Address Health Issues: Skin/Allergies
4 - Plan Summer of Awesome 2014; Rome?, Chicago?, Savanna?, ??? 
5 - Review and address Bucket List Items 

Grading
A = 6-7 times per week
B = 4-5 times per week
C = 3-2 times per week
D = once per week

Rewards
New Spring Clothes in a size 6  :triumphant:
Massage
(Need to add something awesome here!)
  • Like 4

Tried out my yoga/mediation room for the first morning yoga session. Really nice morning light, and everyone else was still asleep and the house was quiet and I could hear the wind blowing outside.

Gratitude Statements

I am grateful for a small room for "improvement".

I am grateful for new opportunities for travel and learning.

I am grateful for an amazing wonderful world to live in and enjoy.

I am grateful for the bare trees letting in the gentle morning light.

I am grateful for the people in my life that think enough of me to want to share their time with me.

I am grateful for another day to love those around me.

I am grateful for another day to laugh.

• Like 2

I keep a gratitude jar on my desk with a stack of little papers and whenever I feel grateful for something I write it down but you are inspiring me to maybe make it part of my routine! Like a nightly thing?

Also, I'm a fellow HFLC lady :) I am doing a ketogenic diet, specifically.  I am about 6ish months into it and though I've had to cheat recently (worst week of my life) I have never felt better!   If you haven't discovered Maria Emmerich's blog and cookbooks please check it out!  Great easy meal ideas for the high fat, moderate pro, low carb bunch. I just made her faux Shamrock Shake for breakfast! Yummy!

• Like 2

I keep a gratitude jar on my desk with a stack of little papers and whenever I feel grateful for something I write it down but you are inspiring me to maybe make it part of my routine! Like a nightly thing?

Also, I'm a fellow HFLC lady :) I am doing a ketogenic diet, specifically.  I am about 6ish months into it and though I've had to cheat recently (worst week of my life) I have never felt better!   If you haven't discovered Maria Emmerich's blog and cookbooks please check it out!  Great easy meal ideas for the high fat, moderate pro, low carb bunch. I just made her faux Shamrock Shake for breakfast! Yummy!

I have done things with gratitude before in a journal, but it feels a bit different when others can read what you wrote. It was uncomfortable at first, but now it feels like I am sending out gratitude to others not locking it away keeping it to myself.

I am working from John Keifer's Carb Nite Solution, it is good to know about the other HFLC people out there as well. I am only just in the first few weeks so I will be needing new meals ideas in the future. Thanks!

• Like 1

I have done things with gratitude before in a journal, but it feels a bit different when others can read what you wrote. It was uncomfortable at first, but now it feels like I am sending out gratitude to others not locking it away keeping it to myself.

This is outstanding!  and for one who finds very little to be thankful for it helps to see some of the little things that I might take for granted, so thank you for that.

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

This is outstanding!  and for one who finds very little to be thankful for it helps to see some of the little things that I might take for granted, so thank you for that.

You are welcome Mitch! I have a special skill my friends tease me about… I can find the silver lining in any cloud. So anytime you need some glimmer, I am your girl!  :joyous:

Ummm…. researching all kinds of morning routines. I can't decide, a bit too overwhelming. I just want something quick. If it gets too complicated or time consuming I won't do it regularly. The squats and pushups each morning worked well. I might just KISS and go back to that until I have the habit established.

I'm jealous of your meditation goal....I could never accomplish such a thing....my brain fires WAY to fast and randomly for something like that, good for you,,,,good luck with your challenge! and for a morning routine....I don't do mornings, my routine is panic lol

Level 5 Tiefling Ranger/Assassin Hybrid

|STR:15 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:6 | WIS:6 | CHA:4 |

My Current Challenge

Challenges: First | Second |Third | Fourth | Fifth |  Sixth

Facebook Anyone?

EMAIL!

Tiefling Ranger/Rogue Hybrid with ShadowDancer prestige, wolf companion, and Spiked Chain proficiency, BOOM my awesomeness just broke your campaign - Me

I'm jealous of your meditation goal....I could never accomplish such a thing....my brain fires WAY to fast and randomly for something like that, good for you,,,,good luck with your challenge! and for a morning routine....I don't do mornings, my routine is panic lol

So is mine, that is why I need a morning routine! lol

My first carb nite did not go as planned. One friend couldn't get a babysitter, my other friend got a headache and had to cancel.

I seem to get stood up more as a married "mature" adult than when I was dating…. My husband can't go to the Sting concert next week. 

So plan B…

I hit the grocery store the only thing I ate was two cups of BP coffee so far today and I was starting to feel dizzy. I definitely didn't want to pass out there! Everyone already knows us from J autistic behaviors, then to faint, not good. So got six mini pastries (without nuts) and a cup of tea and started to chow down. Feeling better, I went shopping for carb treats. I got chocolate covered pretzels, some gelato, Saralee pound cake.

Three hours into carb nite, I am so full… along with the pastries I ate 4 chinese dumplings, a bit of lo main, one shimp purse, a bit of white rice (I didn't like it) I drank a large bottle of Pellegrino, 6-7 pretzels, two pieces of pound cake… three more hours to go, I am nibbling on a pretzel trying to go the six hours but it is hard… funny I know! If I wasn't trying to do this on purpose I could eat a bag of chocolate covered pretzels and a pint of ice-cream and be looking for more… I think I have become more conscious of my eating so I can't just mindlessly shovel in the carbs.

My husband is calling this "the Butterfield Diet"

I like the ultra--low carbs days better than the carb nite! I certainly felt better. Ketosis feels really good!

I am grateful for my warm bed on a cold and windy window-rattling night.

I am grateful for my carb nite, I got to eat all the carbs I had been craving for the past 10 days of ultra-low carb eating. I realized I can't eat that many carbs in one sitting and they aren't all that great tasting anyway. 

I am grateful for my husband he has a way of developing a inside joke and funny statements that communicate his feelings about things without an argument or a lengthy discussion. He makes his point and makes me laugh at the same time.

The breakdown of #3 challenge

Main Quests

#1 Gratitude Statements

#2 AM Meditation/Yoga/Light Therapy/Back & Chest Work

- 10 min meditation

- Sun Salutations

- Light Therapy

- Back & Chest Openers

#3 Diet

Food:

Day: Carb Nite Date:

Skin:

#4 Posture

Awareness and self correction

#5 Strength

Big 5 Workout

5PM Workout

Side Quest:

I am organized and focused.

Organization & Routines & Planning

Notes:

Decluttering Quest to maintain SANITY

I am not a naturally organized person.

I have twin boys both on the autism spectrum and one non-verbal. My high-functioning son also lacks organization skills and the awareness of his disorganization. My non-verbal son is… well… like Helen Keller before Annie Sullivan. He steals food off your plate, he finger paints with nail polish, he digs into a whole pound of butter then skates in it on the floor as he flings the butter on the ceiling. Part of me laughs hysterically over his antics, a part of me is fuming because I have to clean it all up and get more butter, a part of me is thrilled because he is so curious and interested and aware of his world around him. No package, bottle, box ever goes unnoticed in the house. He is very smart, he waits, he waits for you to leave the room, out to the bathroom or otherwise distracted to make his move. So being disorganized and easily distracted I am frequently dealing with messes. We have lots of lock boxes for things, but they need to be locked in order to work….

Well, with all of that explanation, basically I need to work on being more organized to keep my sanity and save my butter.   

Ultra-Low Carb Diet and Brain Fog?

Today is day 11 on the ketosis diet with 30g of carbs.

I feel great especially in the morning. I worked my way into this diet for a few months by first removing sugars from my diet and upping my fats and proteins. I have been drinking Bulletproof coffee with butter and MCT oil and whey for a couple months. My skin has improved but I occasionally have breakouts that seem to be food related, possibly nuts. 

Basically I eat one big meal, dinner with a high-quailty protein and a big load of veggies (usually broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts or a salad). I have one or two large cups of bulletproof coffee and a small lunch, tea and some tunafish, sardines, or some cheese and pepperoni. I am not hunger and stomach feels good. 

My body feels great, activated all over, full of energy. My head feels strange, not a headache, I don't think I am going to pass out that feels different. I can think ok… but it is a sensation in the upper frontal lobe that feels strange and behind my eyes. And when I move my eyes quickly I am a bit dizzy. My guess is that this is the brain fog that can happen at first until your body adjusts.

Main Quests

#1 Gratitude Statement

I am grateful for the head on my shoulders, it is so enjoyable to think and create. Using your brain is an awesome experience, I am happy mine is functioning well and stores so many wonderful thoughts, dreams and images.

I am grateful for breathing. Another extremely pleasurable experience, feeling the rush of air through the nose into the head, as it fills my chest and back expands. Great stuff that happens minute after minute, hour after hour. The body is amazing.

I am grateful for stillness and quiet to hear the birds chirp and the house sigh and refrigerator hum connecting me to the world around me. Ahhhhh…. 

- 10 min meditation - done
 - Sun Salutations - done
 - Light Therapy - done
 - Back & Chest Openers - done

#3 Diet
Food: BP Coffee, cheese and pepperoni, tea & milk,  
Day: 12; Next Carb Nite Date: Saturday trip to Toronto (Crepe Dinner, oh yeah!)

#4 Posture
Awareness and self correction - yes
Added a reminder pic to my phone  :joyous:

#5 Strength
Big 5 Workout
5PM Workout - Done

Side Quest:

- Organized a weekly shopping list
- Organized a weekly dinner menu

Notes:

Yoga sequences

I figured I would start with Sun Salutation A x5 to set the habit.

102829854.png

Hi Liberator!

Great challenge ! ( though I am worrying a little about the number of quests and sidequests-you sure you want to keep all?) A few challenges ago we did the Druid book of yoga poses (can't post a link from my phone unfortunately ). Have a look and you might find good inspiration.

Namaste!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Gratitude Statements

I am grateful for the head on my shoulders, it is so enjoyable to think and create. Using your brain is an awesome experience, I am happy mine is functioning well and stores so many wonderful thoughts, dreams and images.

I am grateful for breathing. Another extremely pleasurable experience, feeling the rush of air through the nose into the head, as it fills my chest and back expands. Great stuff that happens minute after minute, hour after hour. The body is amazing.

I am grateful for stillness and quiet to hear the birds chirp and the house sigh and refrigerator hum connecting me to the world around me. Ahhhhh….

Beautiful!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Beautiful!

Hi Liberator!

Great challenge ! ( though I am worrying a little about the number of quests and sidequests-you sure you want to keep all?) A few challenges ago we did the Druid book of yoga poses (can't post a link from my phone unfortunately ). Have a look and you might find good inspiration.

Namaste!

Thanks Eve! The challenge is still a work in progress. I am hoping to edit and focus the side challenges today. It takes me a while to work through writing the challenge. I like to write and then edit and consolidate.  :tennis:​ 

Red Light Therapy

This morning I tried out the red light as I was meditating and doing yoga. It was very warming. I thought that maybe the lights were giving off heat but they were cool. It was my skin that was warm. I did the light therapy in the morning at 7am and my skin still feels warm. The red light is suppose to improve circulation, so the warmth could be from the increased blood flow. It could take up to 30 days for visible change in the skin so I will keep you posted. Here is a podcast about it if you are interested.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/95-hacking-your-ph-led-lighting-smart-drugs-with-steven-fowkes-part-2-podcast/

Main Quests

#1 Gratitude Statements

I am grateful for my son's cooing and adoration as he snuggles next to me to get warm.

I am grateful for co-workers who's company I enjoy.

I am grateful for a positive outlook to see the good all around me 

I am grateful to be surrounded by good, golden glimmering good of kindness and caring and love for each other. 

I am grateful for patience with myself, I know I can improve, things just take time. 

- 10 min meditation - done

- Sun Salutations - done

- Light Therapy - done

- Back & Chest Openers - done

note: Lots of creaking and cracking of joints with the sun salutations. Maybe back & chest before meditation, then sun salutations. 

#3 Diet

Food: BP coffee, sardines and a salad, roasted chicken and broccoli, tea and cream, Pellegrino, BP cocoa

Day: 13 Carb Nite Date: Saturday

#4 Posture

Awareness and self correction - yes 

#5 Strength

Big 5 Workout - Only Big 4 - Leg Press broken  :grumpy:

5PM Workout - 50 squats to make-up for the leg press

Side Quest:

- Creating a Before Bed Routine & Morning Routine

Notes:

I might need to change the order of things in the morning.

I need to get going by 5:30 so I am not so stressed about time, meditation is rough when you feel you don't have enough time.

Rough night getting J calmed down for bed, threw me off preparing for the morning. Morning issues with boys fighting over iPad and food stealing… a "gremlin" got into my toiletries lockup and got deodorant over everything…. and so on… far from perfect but still got to do my morning routine, workout in the weight room, stick to my diet, get the boys new sneakers, get some laundry done, and enjoy the people around me.  :untroubled:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines