In Which Raevn Feels Uncreative

Raevn

I don't have any real plans for what to write... I'm just going to write whatever is floating around in my head at the time.

Thanks guys!

Work today has been super slow and uneventful. Therefore, I decided to go ahead and start working on my 200 word writing goal for today.

I ended up writing 670 words. :surprise:

That's an awesome start!

A. Pike

So instead of 200 you wrote 670? Oh yeah, you're going to be just fine!

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

That's an awesome start!

So instead of 200 you wrote 670? Oh yeah, you're going to be just fine!

Thanks! Yea, I might need to tweak my goal a bit if I keep this up!

I managed to sit down and write episode 2 today, 666 words this time. :tongue:

Here it is:

Waking with a start, my sluggish mind registers my surroundings right before attempting an ill-fated roll off the thick branch. Stupid, why did I let myself fall asleep? Frantically searching for the sun from my perch halfway up a twisting tree, I find it to the west, just barely above the tree canopy. Good job, Lena. Spend two weeks researching and planning only to miss your only chance, just so you could take a little nap and dream up buried memories. Hoping for some sort of minor miracle, I make my way down the tree to check for any signs of tracks that my mark could have left in the brush.

The man named Thomas, my mark, had been the most difficult of my long list of marks to figure out. The minor noble, the sole heir to the most prosperous horse breeding family in the region, was frustratingly secretive and cautious. Not only did he only venture out under armed guard in broad daylight, but tavern gossip was surprisingly sparse. Only by a stroke of luck did I come across the noble’s drunken fool of a grounds keeper, whose loose tongue gladly spilled out all I needed to know about Thomas in an effort to impress me. For the cheap price of a drunken leer and swatted-away gropes, I learned that, every new moon, the noble regularly treks to a meeting by the nearby river before dusk and always returns with several new people. The rest had been easy; the faint trail was easy to find once I knew to look for it, though it quickly forked out in three directions a short distance from the start. I had scouted out a promising tree to climb near the start of the trail in hopes of completing the job before Thomas could reach the fork or make it to his meeting. The hardest part was waiting the four days for the new moon.

Now, I have to hope to find some sign of his trail in the quickly diminishing sunlight. Failing to find any signs around the base of the tree, I move down toward the fork, trying desperately to find Thomas’ trail. I should have paid more attention during my tracking lessons. Not until reaching the fork do I find what I was hoping for; a strand of white thread ripped out by a thick thorn bush leading into the right path. Thank you Thomas, there might just be some hope left after all. Throwing caution to the wind, I take off down the path without double checking for additional signs in an attempt to reach the noble before he gains company.

At the river bank, set on the inside of a wide curve in the river, Thomas’ wild hair stands in stark contrast to his sharp white tunic. Even through the last light remaining from sunset, the noble’s stance screams of confidence and, oddly, welcoming. That’s it, keep standing there. Regaining control of my breath, I grab a small throwing knife from a pouch in my boot, and watch as the noble crumples to the ground as my knife hits its mark perfectly. Removing the battered dagger from my belt after a momentary wait in case others witnessed Thomas fall, I make my way to the noble’s body to ensure the kill. Lifeless eyes stare back at me after turning the body on his back; the face frozen in shock.  Disappointed that the noble didn’t carry any coins to the meeting, I almost turn back to town when I notice the faint outline of a dagger under his tunic. Picking it up, the weight of the blade quickly becomes obvious. Perfectly balanced too. Interesting. Feeling across the flat blade, I can feel shallow engravings down the length of the blade.

Unable to make out any more details or read the engravings in the darkness, I pocket the dagger and start heading back to town. I could really use a drink. And a bath.

• Like 3

Raevn

Level 2 Wood Elf Assassin

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

Nice and nicer. I am enjoying your little spoilers.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

what's the engravings!?

We'll find out :P

Day 3:

Handstands: Check. Getting a bit more stable.

Stretches: Check. More post-workout goodness.

IF Goodness: Not check, I was super duper hungry around 9:30 or so, so I ate some yogurt.

Be Creative: Check. Scroll up!

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

Nice and nicer. I am enjoying your little spoilers.

Ooh, action scene! Great job!

Thanks! I was going to write it much more detailed and dark, but I decided to keep it safe for work :P

• Like 1

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

I haven't had the time to read your writings yet (promise, I will do so ASAP!), but it otherwise looks like you're off on a great start!

"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Just catching up on your challenge. Looks like you are starting out great. Love the writing goal

Story #1

I liked the story. You gave good word descriptions of what was happening. What you saw and felt. I liked the surprise twist that the leopard was a pet.

One thing to think about:
In your second paragraph, you said upon regaining consciousness... I think it would be more true to first person and more interesting if you leave out that sentence and just talk about what you saw and felt as you regained consciousness. I don't think the reader has to understand immediately what is going on, let the reader discover the world as your character does.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Damn, you're good.  Looking forward to more installments. 

Some kind of Jedi .....

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

“THE QUESTION ISN'T WHO IS GOING TO LET ME; IT'S WHO IS GOING TO STOP ME?” Ayn Rand

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

Thanks again everyone. I really do appreciate all the kind words and encouragement for my writing! I actually haven't written much of anything outside of class essays and college applications, so this challenge was really new to me. That's why I had set the goal as 200 words/4 days, but I might need to increase that goal a bit since it seems to be a tad bit too easy.

Yesterday was my day off, but it was also really uncomfortable with the evil cold that refuses to go away and keeps my nose alternating between runny and stuffy. It decided that I didn't really need to breath so it kept my nose super stuffy all day.

Day 4:

Handstands: Check. My best one was a kick-up right up to a handstand that I held for 8 seconds. It could have been longer if I had gotten into better form at the start.

Stretches: Nope. By the time I finished my handstands, I was just so tired from not being able to breath all day that I just went straight to the shower and bed.

IF Goodness: Check. I was really tempted to get a nice big cup of extra strong mocha when I woke up, but I resisted.

Be Creative: Check. I didn't get any of episode 3 written, but I did work out a (very) rough outline of the next few episodes.

Story #1

I liked the story. You gave good word descriptions of what was happening. What you saw and felt. I liked the surprise twist that the leopard was a pet.

One thing to think about:
In your second paragraph, you said upon regaining consciousness... I think it would be more true to first person and more interesting if you leave out that sentence and just talk about what you saw and felt as you regained consciousness. I don't think the reader has to understand immediately what is going on, let the reader discover the world as your character does.

That's a really good point, thanks! :)

• Like 1

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Love the story! definitely a challenge in which raevn feels creative. :P

Handstands are on my forever bucket list of things I want to be able to do. That's why my avatar is upside down! But I haven't started on that goal yet! Maybe next challenge?

*Level 3 Hobbit Adventurer*

Moomin 3 - Heart of an Adventurer

2 - Maintenance therapy 1- Keep charging ahead

"Life is akin to sailing against the current - forge ahead or be washed downstream" -- Ancient Chinese proverb

I turn into a giant, non-exercising baby when I get sick, so you have my profound respect for not dropping off the planet entirely in the middle of a deployment with a cold dragging on.  I hope you feel better soon!

"|Improvise, adapt, overcome. "

Level 3 Wood Elf Ranger  | STR11DEX5STA6CON3WIS2CHA3 ]

[ Dragons to slay:|250+ PFT 290+ CFT GORUCK Spartan 13.1 290+ PFT 20 +35# Pullups ]

[ Challenges: 1 2 Current ||RPG Fanatics Goblin Ganker ]

Had a chance to read episode 2-loved it! 

Glad to hear :)

Love the story! definitely a challenge in which raevn feels creative. :tongue:

Handstands are on my forever bucket list of things I want to be able to do. That's why my avatar is upside down! But I haven't started on that goal yet! Maybe next challenge?

You could always start now! ;)Here is the article that got me going.

I turn into a giant, non-exercising baby when I get sick, so you have my profound respect for not dropping off the planet entirely in the middle of a deployment with a cold dragging on.  I hope you feel better soon!

Oh trust me, I did next to nothing last week while it was at its worst. I was using any little excuse I could come up with to skip my handstanding and stretching. I did manage to keep going to the gym though. Thanks :)

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

hahaha, yup. When I'm sick, I tend to want to walk outside to get some fresh air, but I'm not even picking up a gallon of milk.

• Like 2

I finished Episode 3 today! It's a lot longer than the first two... 1172 words. :tongue:

Two days. Two days on the road, and it already feels like I haven’t bathed in months. Stupid weather. What did I ever do to you?  Mentally cursing my poor luck, I force myself to push on to the Inn past the next bend; boots growing progressively heavier as I drag my feet through the red mud. In addition to the heavy steps through the mud, the oppressing humidity caused by the recent re-emergence of the Sun is starting to make the trip absolutely miserable. That’s it. I’m buying a horse when I get back to the city.

The night of Thomas’ demise in Redhil had been a peaceful one; no one had raised any alarm over the missing noble, as he was not expected back in town until the next day. Choosing caution over celebration, I decided against enjoying a nice pint of delicious Redhil cider in case the grounds keeper was once again drinking his good judgment away. Not that he had much chance of recognizing me; I had removed my latest wig of long, black hair on the way back to town. To make up for the decision to skip drinking, however, I awarded myself with a long stay in the bath. My hair, cut short in order to allow various wigs to hide the natural fiery-orange color, received extra attention after being stuck under a wig for several weeks. Feeling like a new elf after the bath, I had set out that very night to return to Lor Astra to cash in my latest job; only to have the skies open and dump the heaviest flood of rain I had ever experienced.

Finally turning the bend to the roadside inn, the first thing to grab my attention is the expensive carriage sitting behind two unusually large horses, both as black as night. As I near the inn, a dark-haired man dressed in equally expensive clothing leans out of the carriage to yell at someone from inside the inn. Another man, the subject of the man’s yell, rushes out to the carriage, quickly taking the driver’s seat and urging the horses on. As the two men pass by me, I make brief eye contact with the passenger as he gives a faint smirk--right before the left wheels of the carriage fall into a water-filled rut and drench me in the splash.

Exhausting my list of curses at the pair and debating on attempting to pierce the back of the carriage with a throwing knife, I make my way inside the inn. Without the luxury of a wig to hide my ears and hair, not to mention the fact that I probably look as miserable as I feel, attention immediately swings to me. Tugging the hood of my cloak up to cover my head, forgetting about the accumulated water, I scowl as I make my way to the bar.

“A pint of your strongest.†I grumble to the barkeep as I flop down onto the nearest stool.

“Rough trip.†The man says, as if a statement instead of a question, as he hands me a foul smelling cup.

Mumbling another couple of curses, I take a large gulp of the drink and try not to cough as the intense burning makes its way down my throat. Only then do I notice that the level of activity seems to be unusually high for such a remote inn. “What’s going on?†I ask the barkeep.

“You haven’t heard?†The man asks, incredulously. “Thomas, of the Cumberland Horse Breeding family, was found murdered the other day. A knife to the back of the skull, they said.â€

“In fact, that man in the carriage you passed was Adrian Brown. He’s the new owner of the business; something about having the most trade agreements or what-not.â€

“What? How did he get here so fast if it just happened?†I ask, unease starting to bubble up to the surface through the haze of the alcohol.

“Suspicious, isn’t it? He said he was already on the way to talk business with Thomas, but they had just met not even a month ago.†Leaning forward conspicuously, the barkeep continues. “What most people don’t know, however, is that Thomas was part of an old freedom fighter group called The Order of Freemen.â€

The Order of Freemen. Why does that sound so familiar? “Who are they?†I ask; curiosity piqued.

“They’re a group of fighters who defend the weak and unfortunate. Poor Thomas was in charge of the safe passage of oppressed peasants and slaves from the Northlands. Helen, my cook, found her freedom with his aid a year ago.†The barkeep explains, clearly getting more and more invested in the story.

The hint of a forgotten memory battling to make itself known to my fatigued mind, I open my mouth to ask another question when the man interrupts.

“You ask me, I think the Ravens were the ones to do the deed. They’re the only ones capable enough to take out one of the Order.â€

Involuntarily flinching at the name of my group, I try to reign in my breathing to keep from looking suspicious. This “barkeep†knows far too much. “Why do you say that?†I probe.

“Oh. Well, there are rumors that good old Adrian has strong connections high up in the Ravens. He also is not one to shy away from using all influence he is capable of. I think he contracted those bastards out to kill Thomas.†The man spits out, disdain clear both in his voice and in his expression.

Of course. Way to go Lena. Say you want nothing to do with politics, then go right ahead and do just that. Thinking back on past marks, the pattern of dead business owners and high profile traders increasing the fortunes and standings of my boss becomes glaringly obvious in retrospect. I had just never stayed around to listen to the local gossip after a job.

“I bet you those no-good bastards stole his dagger too.†The barkeep mutters, breaking me out of my introspection.

“Dagger?†I ask; the weapon had been completely forgotten in my rush to leave Redhil and in the following travel misery.

“Yea. Every member of the Order gets a special dagger when they join; they say there’s no equal in its craftsmanship. The metal they use is known only to Order blacksmiths, and they engrave all of them with the Order’s motto.†The barkeep explains, leaning back. “Say, what’s your name traveler?â€

Gasping as the nagging memory suddenly smashes through the walls holding it back, I jump up and rush out the door; the man’s question ignored. Missing the barkeep’s look of careful calculation as I leave the inn, I release a horse from the post and take off towards Lor Astra; ignoring faint yells from behind as long forgotten memories flood unbidden to the front of my mind.

Elh Lysi Iactae, the engravings had read. “Let Come What May†I murmur into the howling wind.

How fitting.

• Like 2

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Day 5:

Handstands: Check. I don't know what it is, but the last attempt is almost always when I get my best handstand. I got a 9 or 10 second handstand done yesterday, though my form broke down around 6 seconds.

Stretches: Check.

IF Goodness: Check.

Be Creative: Check. Wrote episode 3.

I actually got a full night of sleep last night without waking up to being unable to breath. Though when I woke up, I had the worst case of cotton mouth that I have ever had... my mouth/throat was so dry that I could barely even swallow.

• Like 1

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines