In Which Raevn Feels Uncreative

Raevn

Well, at least this way you won't be subject to as much suspense that I made the others suffer through. :P

• Like 1

Raevn

Level 2 Wood Elf Assassin

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

Episode 4: Another longer one... 1266 words.

“Elh Lysi Iactae. Let come what may.†Tyril explains, answering Wilhem’s question. Handing the dagger back to Tyril, the blade still in remarkable condition despite decades of use, Mattheus finally breaks his wide-eyed stare of wonder to ask his own question.

“How did you join the Order?†Hopeful calculation replacing Mattheus’ look of wonder.

“Well, there was this traveler one day…†Tyril, our tracking instructor, begins his story; my attention already wondering to more interesting things.

Looking up from the clearing that we stopped at before turning back home, the first thing to attract my attention are the twin peaks of the highest two mountains in the Astral Range. Behind those two snow-capped mountains lies the human city of Lor Astra; a city I’ve only had the pleasure of visiting one time. Looking forward to visiting again next year for mine and Wilhem’s twelfth birthday, I bring my gaze down to the great pine trees surrounding the clearing. I hate sharing my birthday, why do I have to be a twin? Before I could continue the complaints of my unfair life, however, the sight of the thick, red-barked trees quickly pulls my thoughts to the study their branches, spaced perfectly for climbing and jumping. I bet I could climb all the way to the top with those branches! As I make my way to the nearest tree, Tyril’s voice cuts my dreams short.

“Lena! We’re not out here for you to daydream!†Tyril barks as I walk to the edge of the clearing to rejoin my brothers, grumbling to myself the whole way. Why do I need to learn how to track anyways? Mattheus is much better than I am, he can do all of the hunting.

“As I was saying, the forest these days aren’t as dangerous as they were in the early days.†Tyril begins, leading us back into the thick of the forest. “There once were a great many predators that roamed this land, from great brown bears bigger than horses, to cunning wolves that could ambush and take down even a bear.â€

Imagination running wild, I ask the obvious question. “What happened to them if they were so dangerous?â€

“The Sylrei,†Tyril’s face contorting into a deep scowl as he spits out next words, “and their blasted hellspawn cats, cleared the forest of all big game, leaving us with only rabbits and hogs to hunt.â€

“What!?†Disbelief clear in my voice. “There’s no such thing as demon cats, uncle! You’re just trying to scare us!â€

Shaking his head sadly, Tyril begins to reply when Wilhem interrupts. “Where did the Sylrei come from?â€

“They came down from the mountains after an awful winter one year.†Mattheus offers, having learned the history of our people from Father on his sixteenth birthday. “Their supplies were dangerously low, so they made their way down here and started raiding our village.â€

“Yes, well, you will learn all the gruesome details when you’re old enough to understand.†Tyril interrupts, motioning for Mattheus to stop his storytelling.

“Have you ever fought them before?†Wilhem asks, childish wonder filling his voice.

“Why yes, I have.†Tyril admits as he tilts his head to his right, showing a faint set of scars lined up like a row of teeth on the side of his neck. “Fortunately for me, the beast that did this to me was already mostly dead when it found my neck. In fact, that battle is what gained me the attention of the Order.â€

With the mention of the Order, Mattheus’ eyes set into a determined gaze. “I wish to join the Order, uncle.â€

Letting out a quick laugh, Tyril slaps Mattheus on the back and offers his aid. “Well first, we must talk with your father, though I’m sure he would be proud to have you join.†Falling back into reminiscent tones, Tyril continues. “You know, you remind me of myself at your age…â€

Boys. Rolling my eyes, I divert my attention to the big tree that we had stopped next to. Determined not to be thwarted this time, I quietly walk over to the tree and begin climbing. I only manage to make it halfway up the tree before Tyril notices my disappearance.

“Lena, would you please stop wandering off?† he practically begs.

“Fine, I’m coming down!†But not before I have some fun! As Tyril turns back to the boys to continue his story, I walk out to the thin part of the branch to grab a hanging pinecone. Weapon in hand, I take aim at Mattheus’ head, trying out the breath control technique that I had managed to talk him into teaching me. Still swaying on the thin end of the branch, I throw the pinecone at Mattheus, only for it to fall short and hit him in the leg. Darn. I guess I’ll head down now. I only manage to turn around and start moving towards the base of the branch when a pinecone hits me in the back of my head. Letting go a yelp more in surprise than in pain, I quickly turn back around to glare at Mattheus, forgetting that I was balancing on a branch.

The fall felt like it lasted forever. This is going to hurt rea—thoughts interrupted as I crash into Tyril’s outstretched arms.

“Lena!†Mattheus screams, rushing over to my side. “Are you hurt? I’m so sorry!â€

Slightly dazed as Tyril gently puts me down, I mutter out a reply that barely makes it past my lips. Shaking my head a bit, I repeat myself. “I guess that’s what I get for trying to pick on you. I’ll never be as good at throwing as you are.†Seeing that I was unhurt, Wilhem takes his own opportunity to take advantage of a distraction and wander off into the past the tree I had just fell from.

“Oh nonsense! You’ll be great one day; you just have to practice is all.†Mattheus reassures me as he checks for himself that I had not been hurt.

“Well, that’s enough excitement for one day I think.†Tyril adds, turning around to find Wilhem studying something on the ground.

“Come look at this!†he yells, as we make our way over to look at what he had discovered. On the ground, beneath a group of bushes with clear signs that someone or something had walked past, was a set of fresh paw prints.

Tyril, after studying the tracks for a brief time, moves further down the trail to check for further signs of traffic. “They’re fresh.†He mutters, standing up to get his bearings, before facing back towards the direction of the tracks. Suddenly, a look of shock flashes across his face, followed by one of worry and grim determination.

“These tracks lead toward home. We must hurry!†With that, Tyril takes off back towards the village, giving only quick glances behind him to make sure that we were following.

The trip to the clearing had taken over half of the day to reach due to frequent stops for tracking lessons. The return trip home, however, took only a fraction as long as we ran non-stop; Mattheus taking up the lead spot after an unspoken agreement with Tyril, so that our uncle could reach the village without us slowing him down.

The nearer we get to the village, the sounds of battle that started as faint whispers in the wind grow until they become all there is to hear over our heavy breathing.

As we crest the last hill, the scene that greets us is one of pure chaos.

• Like 1

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.†- John F. Kennedy

Sort of. I have figured out where everything will take place for the most part, but I haven't thought up a complete map of the setting yet.

And yes, it does :D I played an amazon up to level 87 or 88  and a sorcerer to 60 or 70 something before I moved on. So many dead cows!

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Good news: I think my cold is finally on its way out. Last night was the second night in a row that I've managed to sleep a full night without waking, and I haven't even gone through one little box of tissues over the last two days. If only I could have gone into a nyquil coma or two at the start of it, my poor nose would have been spared two weeks of torture.  :nonchalance:

Bad news: My depression got triggered pretty bad this morning shortly after waking up. Excuse me while I plug in my earphones, unplug from the world, and try to salvage the rest of the day.

Day 6:

Handstands: Check. I almost talked myself out of doing these, but I managed to do them. It wasn't that great of a session though, could tell my mind wasn't fully into it.

Stretches: Nope. I did manage to talk myself out of these. That naggy little voice has found a way to convince me a couple times this week that its ok to slack since I've already made so much progress. Gotta start ignoring it again before my habit breaks.

IF Goodness: Check.

Be Creative: Check. Episode 4 a couple posts up.

• Like 1

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Finished episode 5 today! It's pretty much all action, and a little bit graphic towards the end, but not too bad. 1448 words.

“You two stay here, don’t do anything rash.†Mattheus barks as he brings his stern gaze down to meet mine; his eyes pleading. “Promise me.â€

Giving him a barely perceptible nod, I watch as he turns and rushes headlong down the hill towards the melee. Despite our position on the hill providing safe perspective on the obvious, but indistinguishable, figures fighting for their lives, I grab Wilhem’s hand and pull him towards the village. “Come on, we need to get closer!â€

“But, Mattheus said—“

“I know what he said! But the Sun will drop below the mountains soon and make it too dark to see anything.†Giving Wilhem’s hand a strong tug, we make our way down to the village; the intimately familiar hill seeming to stretch out endlessly. Hurdling and dodging grooves and bumps that had caused more than their fair share of bruises and broken bones, we finally make it to the back of the bakery.

Using the stacked bags of grain in place of stairs, I reach the ledge of the second level and begin to shuffle over to the corner of the building. With the edges of the reinforced corner providing enough of a side hold to climb, I make the well-practiced ascent to the roof of the bakery. Looking down to ensure that Wilhem managed to follow, I crawl over to the front edge of the building, passing the hatch that I use to smuggle sweet rolls without so much as a glance.

Mind racing, the view that greets me as I poke my head over the ledge takes several long moments to register. What looked like a giant mass of confusion at first, gradually condense into several distinct groups of people fighting their own battles. For all of the noise and racket, however, there are surprisingly few of the Sylrei and their cats present; only three cats and seven Sylrei to be seen. The raiders must have chosen to attack when they learned that much of the village was on a trip to Lor Astra to trade supplies for the coming hard winter.

Across from my perch atop the bakery, I find a reason for the low numbers of Sylrei. In front of my house lay two of the raiders and a cat, dead from multiple sword wounds. Above them, my mother and father stand side by side, each one holding one of the twin swords that had hung above the hearth for so long. I knew they weren’t just for decoration! Behind my parents, small heads poke up from behind windows and out from the doorway before being ushered back by Tamara, the village healer. Three more Sylrei, scarred faces contorted in rage, stand a few cautious paces in front of my parents; another cat pacing menacingly in the middle.

Yelling something unintelligible, the three Sylrei raise their swords and charge toward my parents, quickly joined by their cat. The warrior in the middle immediately collapses to the ground, Mattheus’ throwing knife lodged into the back of his skull. The other two, either ignoring or failing to notice their fallen comrade, focus their attack on my mother, leaving the cat to go after my father. Stepping forward, my mother makes short work of the two Sylrei, as she executes what looks like an elegant dance rather than a series of dodges, parries, and counter-attacks; her face the epitome of focused calm. My father, on the other hand, did not fare as well. Dodging the big cat’s leap, he brings his sword down in an attempt to behead the beast, only to miss and slice down the side of the cat. Seemingly unfazed by the injury, the cat turns back around to face my father and makes another leaping attack. Too slow this time, my father’s dodge brings his shoulder in line with the cat’s large paw, causing him to tumble to the ground in a tangled mess of limbs, teeth, and claws. Somehow managing to maintain hold on his sword, father buries his weapon up to the hilt into the cat, only to have it continue to struggle against him. Only when mother beheads the monster does it finally fall still; father emerging as a mass of bleeding scrapes and gashes.

With my parents’ battle complete, I turn my attention to the battle taking place in front of the butcher’s shop. There he is! Somehow, Tyril had gotten cut off from James, our butcher, and Sam, our blacksmith, in defending the village’s stores of food for the coming winter.

Tyril, surrounded by two Sylrei and a cat, stands in the middle of the village, sword in one hand and Order dagger in the other. The Sylrei in front of Tyril, a fierce looking man with wild black hair, almost looks happy; the man’s smile one of joy and anticipation rather than focus and calculation. The thing about the man that grabs my attention the most, however, is the strange symbol tattooed around his left eye: a mess of curved, intersecting lines that somehow form an intricate pattern in the shape of a hand. Not to be outdone, the leopard circling around Tyril is equally strange. Whereas the other cats are mostly white with grey spots, this one is yellow with black spots and heavily scarred. Besides the difference in coloring and apparent experience, the complete lack of any evident feral intensity in its face as it studies Tyril reflects a sort of intelligence not seen in the other cats.

The second Sylrei, growing impatient with the stand-off, charges Tyril from behind. Turning around, Tyril parries the downward slash with his dagger right as the beast slams into his side, causing him to lose his grip on the dagger. Staggered, but still on his feet, Tyril thrusts his sword under the raider’s guard and into his heart, not spending the time to ensure the kill before turning around to face the first Sylrei. Unfortunately, the man had taken the opportunity to close the distance between them, standing face to face as Tyril finishes turning.

Rolling down off the overhang above the entrance to the bakery before I even realized I had jumped, I hit the ground in a run trying desperately to save my uncle any way I could. My attempt, however, was too late, as the man slowly pushes his blade into Tyril; never breaking eye contact.

“NO!†The yell sounding odd to my ears until I realize I wasn’t the one who had voiced it. Mattheus, having apparently made his way over after aiding our parents, rushes up to Tyril’s body, dropped unceremoniously by the Sylrei,  as he releases his last breath of life. Noticing the Order dagger near Tyril’s fallen body, Mattheus reaches over to grab it and face the man, who had backed up several paces again.

Mattheus, saying nothing as he settles into his fighting stance, carefully picks up Tyril’s sword as he studies his opponent, finding the man standing in an almost casual stance with his blade loosely pointed down. Then, out of the corner of my eye, a dark shape starts moving towards the pair. The cat! I forgot all about it!†Unable to find my voice in my panic, I reach down to the body lying in the ground next to me to frantically grab at the knife that Mattheus must have thrown as he arrived to the fight.

Pulling on all of the lessons that Mattheus had given me on throwing, I put complete focus into my throw aimed at the big leopard.

“Elh Lysi Iactae!†Mattheus shouts as he starts his charge at the smirking man, while I watch helplessly as my throw flies wide, missing the beast completely.

My older brother’s shout gets cut short as an immensely strong pair of jaws connects with his neck, snapping it before even reaching the ground. Stunned, I can only stand and stare as Mattheus hits the ground; head rolling to give me a wide, lifeless stare.

The Sylrei, still smirking, turns his attention toward me as his pet releases my dead brother. “See you around, girl.†His voice one of arrogance mixed with amusement. Whistling to his demon cat and giving one last glance to the two dead bodies, he retreats; James and Sam had emerged from their battle victoriously with only minor cuts and bruises.

None of which registers in my mind as I returned Mattheus’ stare. Not my mother collapsing over his dead body, cradling him as she screams his name in grief. Not my father giving chase to the man and his leopard back up the hill, disregarding his injuries. Not Wilhem shaking me and shouting my name, trying to pull me out of my stupor. Only Mattheus’ cold, dead eyes.

Mattheus?

• Like 2

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

wow. Best episode yet. Very fluid and easy to read. I am only commenting as a reader not a critic. I am amazed at people who can put down a story and make you feel so much from reading words on a paper. Great job.

Hey you taught me how to do spoilers!

Great job this week. Just need to get those stretches in. Hurts so good!

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

"Besides the difference in coloring and apparent experience, the complete lack of any evident feral intensity in its face as it studies Tyril reflects a sort of intelligence not seen in the other cats."

I love that sentence. This is really good stuff.

My only issue (and I think it's me only) is that I'm really bad at names so if a bunch of names are listed in a short time, I get really really confused. I'm more of a visual learner, so if I have a picture or face to a person, then I won't get mixed up.  

Great job this week. Just need to get those stretches in. Hurts so good!

Thanks :) I think I'm going to start doing them twice a day on my gym days instead of only once after lifting.

I love that sentence. This is really good stuff.

My only issue (and I think it's me only) is that I'm really bad at names so if a bunch of names are listed in a short time, I get really really confused. I'm more of a visual learner, so if I have a picture or face to a person, then I won't get mixed up.  

Thanks! I probably could have done without throwing out new names.

Yay, splits are also on my list of things to achieve. I liked the link with the progressions, thanks for that.

Good luck!

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Day 7:

Handstands: Check. I got a 10 second balance in... slowly making progress.

Stretches: Check. I think the stretching after working out instead of before bed on my gym days was breaking my groove with stretching on the non-gym days. So I'm going to double up my stretching on gym days, once post-workout and once before bed.

IF Goodness: Check. I think I ended up going around 20 hours before eating yesterday since I got pulled for some extra work stuff before lunch.

Be Creative: Check. Episode 5 above.

And now, for the week's report!

Week 1:

Handstands: A

Stretches: C

IF Goodness: A

Be Creative: A

Last week was fairly good except for stretching. I think I'm going to up my writing goal to writing every day instead of 4 days a week.

• Like 1

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Great first week Raevn. Also a good idea to modify your stretching routine, it's definitely a lot easier to get something done if it's there waiting for you at the same time every day, I hope that works out for you.

Super glad you're finally getting decent sleep after your cold, it helps so much. Now you can rock everything. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyeone! :)

Day 8

Handstands: Check. I didn't get as long of a balance in as last time, but I got a near-perfect kick-up and held perfect form for a few seconds.

Stretches: Check. After gym and before bed.

IF Goodness: Barely check. I was going to not check this one since I had eaten some boiled eggs and some yogurt in the morning, but it was just inside my 8 hour eating window.

Be Creative: Barely check. Worked on the outline of episode 6.

I had zero motivation to do anything yesterday after hitting the gym for the RPG mini quest early in the morning. Getting everything else done was a complete chore. :numbness:

Let's hope today is a little easier.

• Like 1

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

You've been nailing it out of the park the past couple of times. Haven't you overacheived in this aspect recently considering your word count? 

As far as word count goes, I've definitely overachieved! But I want to be sure to write at least 200 words every day both to get into the habit of writing and to flex/grow my creative muscles.

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

i am enjoying your writing. I'm not sure who is who....I'm not sure how to address that...not sure who is going to need to be known going forward....but, I am enjoying the story! And great going on your challenge, too!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Awesome handstand progression!

Everyone has the days when everything is a chore. No worries.

I like a lot of characters. Keeps me on my toes. I loved that when I read "the girl with the dragon tattoo" I had to keep looking at the family tree in the front of the book to figure out who was who. I like a story that I might have to flip back a few pages to re read something. Maybe I am just weird?

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Another day of the blahs.

Day 9:

Handstands: Check. Nothing special this time.

Stretches: Check.

IF Goodness: Nope. Huge fail on this one lol. I got asked if I wanted an omelet from the chowhall, which of course I said yes to. He also brought me a ton of pineapple and honeydew melon, so that was cool. Soon after eating all that I was in feast mode for the rest of the day. Oh well.

Be Creative: Check. Wrote some of episode 6.

In other news: I got accepted to both schools I applied to, and now I must decide which one I want to go to. Tuition and rent will be completely covered by my GI bill, so those don't play any role in my decision thankfully.

Lower cost of living shared with a really good friend, but not as good of an education and less research opportunities. Still decent internships though with all the government labs around.

OR

Better education and research opportunities and a beautiful area, but much higher cost of living shared with no one and a highly competitive job market.

I'll probably end up moving in with my friend to enjoy more financial freedom... where I get my undergrad done isn't all that important anyways.

• Like 4

Raevn

Challenges 1 | 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines