In Which Phoenix Burning Goes Six Weeks Without Getting (or Being) Lame

Everstorm

Cauliflower rice is just cauliflower chopped up (or blended/processed) to rice size and cooked however you like (microwave, sautee, bake, whatever).  No real trick to it.  Cauliflower is a pretty mild flavor, so it stands in nicely for rice.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Nicely ricely.

I feel like a food processor would be a smart thing to own, but they're pricey.

love stuffed bell peppers. =D

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

Nicely ricely.

I feel like a food processor would be a smart thing to own, but they're pricey.

love stuffed bell peppers. =D

*sigh*  A food processor is on my wish list, too.  My blender is kinda crap.  When I throw frozen cauliflower in it, it sounds like I'm making popcorn.

Looks like this challenge setup is working for you :) I'm really impressed with that many veggies! And making notes.

It's going okay so far.  I think I picked the right goal for veggies.  5 a day is enough of a stretch, but doable if I pay attention.  And it's making me cut back on the carby stuff to have room for it, which was the point.  I'm trying out some new recipes now, like baked sweet potato fries, yum!

I haven't decided if mushrooms are a vegetable.  What's everyone's votes?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

*sigh*  A food processor is on my wish list, too.  My blender is kinda crap.  When I throw frozen cauliflower in it, it sounds like I'm making popcorn.

This made me literalol. =)

Definitely! And I'd even say yes on the sweet potato as long as they don't constitute a daily serving more than... (*arbitrary*) three times a week? I vote yes because they're damn good for you and because WHFoods say so. =)

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

My vote is yes on mushrooms, but no on sweet potato :tongue:

I thought mushrooms were kind of a nutritional void, but Google Almighty disagrees, so I think you're right.  Why no on the sweet potato?  You don't like them or they are too starchy?

This made me literalol. =)

Definitely! And I'd even say yes on the sweet potato as long as they don't constitute a daily serving more than... (*arbitrary*) three times a week? I vote yes because they're damn good for you and because WHFoods say so. =)

That's kind of how I felt about the sweet potato.  It is pretty starchy, but highly nutritive.  AND they are definitely a food with breaks for me (I never want more than one serving and usually don't want them above twice a week, if even that often.)  If they start getting out of control, I'll establish limits, but for now, they can stay.

If the mushrooms count, I was well over my count yesterday, with a large salad, sauteed baby 'bellos, sweet potato fries and roasted asparagus (some were more than one serving size...but spread over the day, not all in one meal!)

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

...Eugh. I'm so hunger right now. XD

The description of that meal might pull me off my butt to go grocery shopping properly, haha.

5'11"/180cm

I thought mushrooms were kind of a nutritional void, but Google Almighty disagrees, so I think you're right.  Why no on the sweet potato?  You don't like them or they are too starchy?

Love them.. as in, you could wake me up for a BBQed one! But yea I think they are far too starchy and more in the category of potatoes/rice/pasta etc.

Oh my god... now I want a bbqed sweet potato.. with lots of butter and salt... my mouth is actually watering just thinking about it.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Which?  Positivity or PvPs?

You're welcome.  It's hysterical.

Thanks.  It seems to be the theme this time around.  I thought I chose easy goals, but somehow it adds up to a lot when I add in the mini-challenge and PvPs.  Something might have to go if I don't start managing better.

Positivity. The idea that you are working towards gaining rather than the relentless pursuit of losing. I don't much go in for trying to trick my brain by switching words around but I really like your theme.

Level 8 Satyr Scout

STR 11|DEX 5|STA 10|CON 9|WIS 12|CHA 5

Previous Challenge

Woot What?

MFP

Endomondo

It's going okay so far.  I think I picked the right goal for veggies.  5 a day is enough of a stretch, but doable if I pay attention.  And it's making me cut back on the carby stuff to have room for it, which was the point.  I'm trying out some new recipes now, like baked sweet potato fries, yum!

Mushrooms are a vegetable. So are sweet potatoes.

But truthfully, it depends whether your concern is vitamins, minerals, fiber, or avoiding chocolate cake ;-)  I'm into fiber, vitamins, and minerals - not overly worried re carbs. Which is why I happily eat sweet potatoes. YMMV.

• Like 1

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 16 | CON 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 6

Current Challenge  Battle Log   Past: 5 4 3 2 1 0.1

Week 1/6 Report

A Veritable Vegetable Feast:  I hit (or surpassed) my 5-a-day veggie-eating goal 6/7 days.  In view of how many days I went over, and taking into consideration that I was only 1 serving short on my missed day, I will award myself an A for this week.

Baby Bodybuilding:  I alternated walking and yoga for my daily movement, and hit about 4.5 hours for the week, well over my goal of 3 hours. A However, I missed two days of completing my mobility treatments.  I think I got distracted with all the shiny "bonus" activities, and did not prioritize this one.  I'll adjust that next week. C

Bonus Activities: 

Mini-challenge bridge-prep poses incorporated into my yoga routine 3 days

30/30 resting squat PvP completed 5 days

Made 2 submissions to the Beer Yoga PvP

All in all, a good week, if not perfect.  I do need to prioritize my challenge goals over all the bonus stuff, though, and getting my veggies in earlier in the day so I don't come up short.  On to the next!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Positivity. The idea that you are working towards gaining rather than the relentless pursuit of losing. I don't much go in for trying to trick my brain by switching words around but I really like your theme.

Yeah, I'm suspicious of psychobabble myself, but I figured I needed to try some kind of new track, b/c the one I was on was not healthy.  This one seems effective, but slower.  (Maybe a good thing...less crash and burn, maybe?)

Looks like you accomplished a lot your first week. How do you think it went?

Decent.  I need to manage my time better, but overall a good first week.  I posted my week results above.

Mushrooms are a vegetable. So are sweet potatoes.

But truthfully, it depends whether your concern is vitamins, minerals, fiber, or avoiding chocolate cake ;-)  I'm into fiber, vitamins, and minerals - not overly worried re carbs. Which is why I happily eat sweet potatoes. YMMV.

Ultimately both, but for now, just looking at nutrition above macros.

Yeah, mushrooms are a vegetable... Sweet potatoes are a good alternative to regular starches, but probably the worse alternative to green leafys.

Good job so far! I'm trying to work up the courage to eat a ton of veggies, but I don't like em much...

True.  Green leafies are king, I think.  I'm not a huge fan, either, although that is slowly changing.  Pasta and rice taste really boring to me now, and I have no trouble turning them away.  Bread and pastries, however....  One problem is that my recipe repertoire is rather small.  I might have to make a life goal of trying one new veggie recipe a week or something, or I'm going to get tired of this goal pretty quickly.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

You did great, seems like the positive formulation of goals is working for you.. what do you think? I think you've picked your bonus activities well enough to be real happy that you did those too. The squatting, yoga and bridge prep probably do wonders for your mobility and avoiding injury!

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

You did great, seems like the positive formulation of goals is working for you.. what do you think? I think you've picked your bonus activities well enough to be real happy that you did those too. The squatting, yoga and bridge prep probably do wonders for your mobility and avoiding injury!

I think it's too soon to tell.  General excitement of a new challenge is generally enough to carry me through the first week or two.  Ask me again on week 3.

I agree that the bonus activities have been helpful, I just need to make sure I do the challenge stuff first, then the bonus.  Because let's face it:  beer yoga is way more fun than physical therapy drills. :topsy_turvy:

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Decent? I'd say fantastic.Hit all your goals, plus some PVP and mini challenge. We always have something we want to get a little better, but don't forget to be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Decent? I'd say fantastic.Hit all your goals, plus some PVP and mini challenge. We always have something we want to get a little better, but don't forget to be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished

Thanks, EG.  I am a bit of an overachiever, I guess.  I did accomplish a lot last week, though.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Monday went well, in spite of a severe case of idontwanttogetoutofbeditis.  Fortunately/unfortunately, I have to get up at 6am to see my son off to school whether I feel like it or not, and my other son (still at home) doesn't let me go back to bed.  So, since I had to get up, I figured I might as well do stuff.  I needed something highly motivational, so I took a long class of Zumba on the Wii.  (Five stars, baby, yeah!)  Did you know you can burn 600 calories an hour on Zumba?????  That's half again my normal daily allotment.  Plus, after doing my mobility stuff and the funny walk of the day for the mini-challenge, I had almost doubled what I could eat for the day (while still losing weight).  Woot!  Ate a bunch of fun stuff like BBQ ribs, but remembered my veggies, so that was all good.  At the end of the day, I was still a little light on protein, so I ate a greek yorgurt and my new favorite snack, celery sticks with Braunschweiger.  Yes, yes.  Let the groans and gross noises roll.  :rolleyes-new: I like liverwurst!  There.  I said it.  Women need more iron, anyway.

I don't normally track what I eat (calories and such), because I find it annoying (and super frustrating to only have a base of 1200 calories a day!!!!), but the past few days I have found it helpful to plan my meals ahead of time on MFP.  It's a little backward, maybe, to submit stuff before I eat it, but it seems to really be working for me.  I can make better decisions about what I want, rather than getting a shock afterward, like, "That was HOW MANY calories???  I can't eat anything else for two days????"  So much better when, today for example, I entered my planned foods in and could make an intelligent choice that if I skipped the crackers with my chili, I would have "room" for a small serving of peach crisp after dinner.  Yay!  :orange:  If I waited until after, I would have been sad for spending my last calories on crackers when I know I'll want something sweet before bed.

I started today off well, too, with a spinach, mushroom, and tomato omelet (and by omelet, I mean scrambled eggs with veggies mixed in, b/c I never get it right).  Now to get my yoga done and cook tonight's chili!

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Nice week 1, PB!  Looks like you handily got everything down.  I think the awesome from the pirate costume rubbed off on you a bit. ;)

And don't feel weird about using MFP like that.  I do the same thing.  I sometimes shuffle things around, but usually my meals for the day are already input the night before (provided I know I'm eating at home and not out with friends).  It's amazingly helpful on both the planning AND making me stick with what I have initially planned (so yea, I won't have those 4 snickers bars sitting on the desk, thanks though).

*gasp* APPARENTLY, today is National Pancake Day, and no one told me!  Um, I may need to do some refiguring...because pancakes.

tumblr_mhrmreF0Sx1rdpab2o1_400.jpg

I did not know this.  I am now sad that I do not have pancakes. (Though I did get to have waffle this weekend.  Kinda the same, right?)

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

You sad, sad fool. That's not all it is. Today is BOTH National Pancake Day AND Fat Tuesday aka Mardi Gras.

I'm trying to resist my national and South Louisiana heritage to eat healthy today. Don't give in, don't give in!

Meh.  I'm neither Catholic nor a New Orleander, so Mardi Gras is of no consequence.  But pancakes....  I have eaten very healthy all day, and I have just enough calories for a small splurge.

Nice week 1, PB!  Looks like you handily got everything down.  I think the awesome from the pirate costume rubbed off on you a bit. ;)

And don't feel weird about using MFP like that.  I do the same thing.  I sometimes shuffle things around, but usually my meals for the day are already input the night before (provided I know I'm eating at home and not out with friends).  It's amazingly helpful on both the planning AND making me stick with what I have initially planned (so yea, I won't have those 4 snickers bars sitting on the desk, thanks though).

I did not know this.  I am now sad that I do not have pancakes. (Though I did get to have waffle this weekend.  Kinda the same, right?)

Sure, waffles are close enough.  Sorry I didn't post early enough so that PANCAKES FOR EVERYONE.  But I didn't know, I swear.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines