My first challenge.. Let's do this!!

Naaria

I will definitely walk once I have to leave for work, however the reason for the treadmill walking is for a consistent speed for fasted cardio. I know that walking otherwise will still help but I suppose I'm just getting attached to the workout! And yeah, I could/should do yoga in my room. I'm just a little bummed that I now have a membership for a studio and haven't had time to go.. :( However, you're right. There's no reason I can't just do yoga in my room on days I can't make it to the studio!

As for eating late, it's usually because my family tends to eat very late. 7-8PM is usually when the food gets brought home.. and yes, it's always take out. They never cook anymore. Luckily, now that I'm working I'll be able to buy my own food and have more control with when/what I want to eat.

Thanks for the encouragement Waanie. You are amazing. <3

Level 1 Druid

STR 1 // DEX 1 // STA 2 || CON 3 \\ WIS 3 \\ CHA 1

Naaria's Search for Balance v1.5

First Challenge !!

I use coconut oil! It was initially kinda bleh feeling but I'm on my 6th day and I am addicted. I look forward to it every morning. Seriously.

The first thing I noticed was that my breath didn't smell/feel like hell at the end of the day. My teeth still felt clean. You know how you can start to kinda feel the plaque buildup? Yeah.. It was VERY minimal. I also noticed the same thing the next morning what with the breath/plaque buildup and whatnot. As the days go by, my mouth feels cleaner and cleaner. I wish I took a before shot of my teeth because now I'm not sure if my teeth are any whiter than when I first started. I think they are, but I have no proof.

Now, here comes the kind of gross part. I have always had hard stools, unless I was sick or ate something bad.. or a lot of corn/fibre/whatever. For the past 2-3 days, my stools have been very soft. Now, I DON'T KNOW if that's from eating steel cut oats as opposed to normal shitty oats. I don't know if that's TMI (and I apologize if it is, but hey, everybody poops), but it's something that I noticed that has made me really, really happy. Poop is a great indicator to a person's health. :)

I read about an instance where a woman's psoriasis on her scalp went away.. and I'm hoping that that'll happen with me. I will report back if/when I see results!

I would strongly encourage you to try it. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it. If you love it, well, then I'm sure you'll experience some cool things! Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll answer them as best as I can!

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

I love your positive attitude! That's such a great quality to have, not letting things keep ya down for too long!

I have a couple questions about the oil pulling though. 1. How long do you swish it around for? The 20 minutes some people do? and 2. Do you notice any increase in sensitivity? I have INCREDIBLY sensitive teeth, and I could feel pangs coming on when I did it before. 

• Like 1

CoPo

Level 2 Amazon Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

Naaria, your post just made me try oil pulling. I'd read about it somewhere, and my initial reaction was something like "gross hippie practice". But now I tried it's kinda fun. It might become a habit. 20 minutes feels long and I almost swallowed it a few times. Also I have a slight headache now but it might not be related.

Anyway, keep up the good work!!!

• Like 1

Newenham                              Level 1

STR 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | DEX 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

Thanks copo, I appreciate it!! I do my best to keep positive because it's really easy for me to slip into negative. I swish for 20 mins, no more than that though. I've only used coconut oil so I'm not sure about the others, but after about the 15-17min mark, it suddenly becomes really liquidly, more like water than oil. Apparently that's supposed to be the indicator that the oil has done its work and is spent! I swish it around a little longer then spit it out into the trash. Spitting it into the sink or toilet might clog your pipes. As for sensitivity, I noticed the opposite actually! I love drinking ice cold water and usually my teeth give out before my throat does, but I'm noticing that my teeth barely even feel the cold anymore! What kind of oil did you use?

Newenham, you have no idea how happy that makes me!! I'm totally into the hippie shit because I love experimenting and finding out what works and what doesn't.. and when the natural/homeopathic things work it just blows my mind each time. It's sooo fun isn't it?! I look forward to it every morning. :) Near the end I think my lips get tired and some oil will spill out.. however I'm finding the more that I do it the less it happens. I feel as if I'm strengthening a different set of muscles! :D Which type of oil do you use?

I noticed as well for the first couple of days I'd have a slight headache. I'm also not sure if it was related, however, I have read that some adverse effects may show up due to the "detoxification" thang. I know people hate that word and all, but in my experience with massage, it makes sense. Sometimes when long-time gunk is cleared out you experience some backlash before it gets better. Kinda like cleaning a dirty closet. Chances are the dust and stuff is gonna make you sneeze and cough and make your eyes water.. but eventually you'll get to a nice, clean, clear closet!! ...Speaking of which, that's a goal for this coming week. CLEAN MY ROOM!!

I've read that if 20 minutes is too long (and it is quite intimidating at first), you can do two sets of 10 mins. You could do one in the morning, one at night, or spit it out after 10, and do another round right away. However for me personally, sticking to 20 mins became easy and felt natural after about the third or fourth day.

Thank you two for being interested in oil pulling! It's making me all the more pumped about it! <3

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Day 16 (Tues/Wed)

These days, all I've been doing is walking. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I want to do yoga! I will definitely have the opportunity to tomorrow earlier in the day, so that's where I'll be! Work has been great. I did do some squats on Monday and my legs have been sore all through these few days! It's finally going away, and I can do more! My cupcakes job is nice and simple and easy and is a great break from massaging. I've always loved working with baked goods. I got to ice some cupcakes and put them on display (meaning they weren't butt ugly!).. gotta work on perfecting them but it'll come with time. It's always nice to have a chance of scenery! Helps keep one sane!

My hands feel a little sore, but I'm going to assume that means that I'm building strength there too. I need to be aware of how my fingers--especially thumbs--feel. I'm gonna need them to be able to last another hopefully 40 years in this field! Anyone know any good hand/finger strengthening exercises? :)

Day 17 (Thurs)

Walking today. Have an early training shift at massage. Hopefully that means I'll be off early and I can (FINALLY) re-attempt the BBWW tonight! I've got a milk jug full of water ready to be used and abused!

Let's keep it up guys! The end of week three is in our sights!! We level up (for realsies) soon!!

• Like 1

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Too bad you did not have a chance to do yoga yet. Did you do it this morning, or could you not do it because of the early shift?

Congratulations on your cupcakes! I never manage to decorate them beautifully, but it sounds like you're doing well.

As for finger exercises: I know a very simple one, and it might not do anything for you, but it works for me: take something stretchy, like a rubber work-out band or an inner tire of a bicycle and hold it with your thumbs and pointing fingers, about 1/4-1/2 inch apart. Using your hands and wrists, pull out a few inches and release a bit. Pull out again, etc. Make sure there is always some tension in the band. Do this 10 times. Then do the same with thumbs + middle fingers, thumbs + ring fingers and thumbs + pinkies. Do 3 series of this exercise. My physiotherapist gave me this exercise when I had very little strength in my fingers, and it really helps.

Good luck with the BBWW and see you around :).

• Like 1

I used coconut oil too! I did some google research and it was a lot of back and forth. The pain scares me though cause it just hurts SO BAD... But I'll give it another go!

What's this about leveling up? Week 3? I think I missed this part....

• Like 1

CoPo

Level 2 Amazon Ranger

Thank you, thank you, thank you Waanie! <3

copo, http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33333-real-life-role-playing-creating-your-character/ Step 3! And http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33334-real-life-role-playing-stat-points-and-levelling-up/

Maybe you have a sensitivity to coconut oil? Try others. Unrefined and untoasted sesame oil is apparently the best. Sunflower oil works as well. :)

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Day 17 (Thurs) Follow Up

Didn't do BBWW. I was exhausted by the time I got home (I had to go to the branch that was a 1.5hr commute away!) so I took it really easy. Sat around, played ARR with my boyfriend, and instead just had a great night with him.. which is just as, if not more important than building physical strength for me. I build mental and emotional strength with him and that's definitely a place where I'm lacking. As of yesterday, there are only 58 days until we meet. Oh shit.

Day 18 (Friday)

Didn't wake up in time to go to yoga. Damn it. BUT at least I slept really well for really long. I've been lacking sleep this week because of how busy I've been training at both jobs. Starting next week though, I have a static full time schedule at massage and will soon get my static schedule for cupcakes. Then I can finally look at fitting yoga into my schedule! For now though, I'm at least sticking to a near-daily walk and oil pulling which, needless to say is making me feel like a million bucks!

I've changed the timing on my IF from a 11-7 window to basically a "6 Hour Window" which begins from when I first eat breakfast. Soon after (like, almost immediately after, especially on work days) I have my lunch. I basically eat 1200-1300 calories in a short amount of time. I have a snack (I've been eating True to Nature bars! They're pretty good. Chocolate Banana is awesome!) about 6 hours after breakfast to top off any missing calories :) Usually that's at about 2-4PM. We'll see how this goes with massage since I need to keep my energy up for busy days. So far so good though!! My weight plummeted back down to 143.2 (woohoo) after somehow crawling back up to 146. That was scary, hehe..

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

I tried coconut oil and olive oil. Both seem to have the same effect. I'm like you, always willing to try new experiments! Interesting stuff about the headache/detox factor.

For finger strength there are lots of yoga poses that help. Even simple "clawing" gestures.

Keep up the good habits!!!!

Tapatalked

Newenham                              Level 1

STR 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | DEX 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

How was your weekend? Don't worry about not being able to change everything at once. You're going through a very hectic time, it will probably be easier to build habits again when your jobs have settled in a regular schedule. I think it was a good decision to miss yoga and to have a good rest instead. You are changing so many things about yourself at the same time, I really admire that! Don't get discouraged if not everything works out at once, but keep trying :).

• Like 1

LEVEL UP!! Cue FF battle victory music!

Waanie, you must be my angel. Thank you for your kind words. :) My weekend was alright. I don't have much time to myself anymore so I spent any free time I could relaxing. Saturday in particular was quite annoying. I came home after a long, tiring day from both jobs, and found that my new batch of cooked steel cut oats (enough for the rest of the week!!) were nowhere to be found, with the container all nice and clean drying on the dish rack. I was livid. I was hungry. I was exhausted. I didn't want to have to cook. That was my saving grace that night, and it was torn away from me! Luckily I had my boyfriend on the phone and we were chatting it up and he calmed me down, as usual.

Sunday was uneventful. Went to see my trainer at massage for a couple hours and when I got home, I just parked my butt at my computer and played FFXIV til I went to bed. That was a good night. I decided to lower my calories again to 1400. 1500 still feels a little high. I will see how it goes with work and yoga and adjust accordingly.

This week will be long. I now have set days at massage, and we're trying to fit one more closing shift at cupcakes before I close by myself. Somehow it's working out that I have to go STRAIGHT to cupcakes from massage tomorrow.. I'm off massage at 4:30 and start at cupcakes at 4:30.. ;___; Lord have mercy!! HOWEVER, starting next week it should be cupcakes on Mondays, massage Tuesday to Saturdays. Looking forward to that!

Here are my stats for the week!

143.2lb(-), waist 29"(-), hips 38.5"(=), thighs 24.5"(-), calves 15"(-)

Lots went down, even if just slightly!! I must not get discouraged and keep it up! I feel awesome, so looking awesome should come soon, right?!

Speaking of "soon"... 55 days left until I see my boyfriend!!! x___x I'm gonna die from nervousness!!

• Like 1

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

OOPS! Double post! I'll use to my advantage! Notes to self 'bout stats!

I consider myself quite intuitive so I put 3 points into WIS.. CON/STA make sense since I'm building some cardio and I've always had a good immune system. I want to build CHA. I need it for both jobs. Hopefully the physical attractiveness of it follows suit! STR/DEX don't matter much to me.. yet. :)

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Geez, you sound BUUUUZAAAAAY with those two jobs! But you sound like you're doing great! And I'm glad your measurements went down! That's the one thing that's a bit irritating, you can put in all the hard work and it won't show for a while. But it is now! Yay!

Off topic:

How is FFXIV? I'm a sucker for MMOs...

• Like 1

CoPo

Level 2 Amazon Ranger

I LOOOOOVE THE SHIT OUT OF FFXIV!! That is all. :) It's the first MMO since RO and WoW that gave me that feeling of wonder and awe and amazement. Highly suggest you play, but I'm very biased. Look it up :) The grind isn't too bad and endgame is quite fun. We have a major content patch coming up on the 27th as well. If you decide to play, I'm on Leviathan!!

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Sweet! I just gave up my WoW subscription and I kinda miss it. I'll have to see if I can work it out financially. Do they have a free trial thing like WoW does?

• Like 1

CoPo

Level 2 Amazon Ranger

Thank you Waanie. <3

Day 22-24 (Tues-Thurs)

It's been a really long week. Working lots and lots. Luckily it hasn't been that busy at massage so I spend a lot of time sitting around doing almost nothing most of the time.. which is great. Emotionally, I've had an incredibly long week coming to terms with a few things to do with my parents. Long story short, I have terrible parents and I'm just now realizing the extent of their bullshit. As kids, it's so easy to be blinded by the idea that they know everything.. they must. They're old. They're our parents for Christ's sake. On my way home from work yesterday, I thought I might start accepting that fact and moving towards a place of peace with it.

Then my mom let out her uber bitch and I just wouldn't have it. Who guilt trips their kid just because they "talk back" to them? "I just wish my kids loved me enough to blahblahblah" she said. Which was her response because I was getting snippy at her being a smart ass "if I don't buy food, the kitchen won't be dirty anymore" she says. I do not take kindly to bullshit. I don't care if it's my mom or the fucking pope. If you're being unfair and stupid, you're going to get called out on it. She didn't like that, so she resorted to a guilt trip. I told her that I don't appreciate being guilt tripped and she said that, "she doesn't do it to just me." She does it to my whole family in order to get what she wants. She just had to up the ante for me because I was "talking back". I call it standing up for myself. I lost any and all love and respect for her in those moments.

... I'm going to leave that there. That was cathartic.

I munched out last night. I don't feel good about it but it was necessary in the moment. The rest of the week will be spent trying to normalize my emotions and shrink my late night pasta belly.

• Like 1

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Don't let your parents drag you down. Although I don't like the way your mother "manages" the household, I think I can understand why she is doing it. Imagine that you have to run a household in which you are the only one cleaning/cooking/caring for the children etc., then you have to delegate a lot of tasks, which she has solved dictator-style. Guilt-tripping is one of the lowest tactics there are, since it mostly works, and even if it doesn't work, it still makes you feel bad and may work again next time. Stay strong and maybe talk to a psychologist about how to deal with it. This is something a lot of young adults have to deal with, you're not alone!

How do you like your work? What is your favorite home-cooked meals? If you need recipes, you know where to find me :).

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines