Sueperstars' Basic Building Blocks

sueperstars

All of my goals this challenge are set with the aim of building habits, rather than achieving something specific. I don't have a specific goal at this point, however I do have a life in flux, so I want good habits that will carry through and that are easily adaptable to change.

Main life quest: Balance

Generally, to achieve a healthy balance in all aspects of my life: eating vs exercise, work vs play, rest vs activity, alone time vs social time, etc. The area where I feel I need the most work eating and my tendency to overeat.

Goal - end overeating - step 2    WIS +1    CHA +2
- slow down and enjoy every meal
- stop eating when I am full (or if this doesn't work: take smaller portions and wait before taking more OR measure out portions) - this is new this challenge

Grading: This is a daily yes or no. As last time, I'm looking for progress, not perfection, so I'll tend to be easier on myself at the beginning and harder toward the end. I'll grade myself based on the percentage success out of the 42 days.

Fitness + Health goals

Movement     STR    +1    DEX +2    STA +1   (bonus as below STA +1)
    30 minutes of activity every day, ideally outdoors.  
This is not limited to one specific activity, but can change depending on how I'm feeling, the weather, and other life circumstances. This includes, but is not limited to: walking to work (which I usually do 4 times per week already), running, yoga, Pillates, strength training, aerobics, serious walking to do errands (at a good pace, not wandering, unless its for a very long time).

bonus - 3 times per week, movement gets my heart rate up & I get good and sweaty

Grading: Total days missed through whole challenge: 0 - 6 = 100%, 7 - 10 = 75%, 11 - 15 = 60%, more than 15: FAIL
            (I am allowed to miss up to one day per week, average, and still get 100%.)
        Bonus is counted separately: 16 - 18 = 100%, 12 - 15 = 75%, less than 12 = FAIL

Food      WIS +1    CON +1
    eat fish / seafood at least twice per week - should be easy with lent starting (& my husband is Catholic)
    plan meals in advance - include leftovers / batch cooking freezer food for lunches
    create a list of quick meals to make when I haven't planned for something - using basic ingredients
        start a searchable database of favourite recipes for easy reference and planning

Grading:  The fish is easy to count. 12 or more = 100%, 9 - 11 = 75%, 7 or 8 = 50, 6 or less = FAIL -> worth 50 %
        Planning meals -> I'll give myself a weekly grade to see how I did. This is hard to judge so I'll do my best to be honest. -> worth 40%
        Creating list + setting up database -> this is something I want to incorporate for the future, again, I'll just judge and see how I do -> worth 10%

General Health      CON +2
    floss every day
    get up and move / stretch every hour
        set timer on phone
        drink more water + tea to encourage more getting up

Grading: This is a daily yes or no. I'll judge myself based on the percentage of successful days out of the 42.

Life Goal

Reduce Stress (with a clean house)    CHA +2    CON +1

I have this weird emotional attachment to "stuff" and can have a hard time getting rid of things. Not always, but sometimes. I need to stop. Just because something was a gift, doesn't mean I need to keep it, for example. So, my life goal for this challenge:

PURGE - get rid of stuff - don't just "organize" it!        
    clear out the two closets in the spare room / office
    the bookshelf (aka dumping ground) beside my bed - I hate looking at that mess first thing in the morning!

CLEAN - second priority, but still important - clean the house, especially the ever-present nemesis - the shower

Spend at least 1 hour per week (not necessarily all at one time) working on this goal.

Grading: Total weeks missed through whole challenge: 0 = 100%, 1 = 80%, 2 = 65 %, 3 or more = fail

Those are great goals! The new goal on not overeating sounds difficult but very rewarding! I tend to have a mentality of 'if it's on my plate it's ending up in my belly' but I realise that isn't always the best way to go. 

Getting rid of stuff is a great goal too... It can be a bit difficult to just say "no it's going away" but there's so much you probably don't even look at for months! 

Those are great goals! The new goal on not overeating sounds difficult but very rewarding! I tend to have a mentality of 'if it's on my plate it's ending up in my belly' but I realise that isn't always the best way to go. 

Getting rid of stuff is a great goal too... It can be a bit difficult to just say "no it's going away" but there's so much you probably don't even look at for months! 

Thanks, Lilith!

I, too, have the same mentality about eating everything on my plate. Especially if it tastes good! LOL One trick I use is to put my napkin on the plate when I'm done, which tells me (or attempts to tell me) that its garbage so I stop picking at it. This works well when I'm out for dinner and not packing up leftovers anyway - like for the remaining fries on the plate. But at home, I wouldn't do it, I'd save the food. So I either have to pack it up right away, or (which I think will work better) not take as much in the first place. We'll see. Its about trial and error and figuring out which works best in each situation.

As for the purging - I FINALLY opened a couple of boxes hiding in the spare room closet. I had no idea what was in there - turns out its extra kitchen stuff that I obviously don't need and haven't needed for the :shame:  FIVE YEARS I've lived in this house.  So those have been moved into my purging area and I'll tackle them first next week - see if I can give some to friends, or else donate.

superstar-o.gif

Hey great goals and good luck on the challenge :)

Ha! Thanks - love the gif!

Declutter all the things!

As for the purging - I FINALLY opened a couple of boxes hiding in the spare room closet. I had no idea what was in there - turns out its extra kitchen stuff that I obviously don't need and haven't needed for the :shame:  FIVE YEARS I've lived in this house.  So those have been moved into my purging area and I'll tackle them first next week - see if I can give some to friends, or else donate.

Good job! It's funny how most of the stuff we own is actually never used. I've been a decluttering fan for a while now, it feels good to be in a "as empty as it can be" flat. It's less of an hassle to clean up :P

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Oooh great job on making a head start with the purging!

Ha! I always get so excited at the start of the challenge, especially with that week in between, that I usually do stuff in advance which doesn't count! So I limited myself to just moving the boxes out and putting them in the way. Now they are ready to go!

Declutter all the things!

Good job! It's funny how most of the stuff we own is actually never used. I've been a decluttering fan for a while now, it feels good to be in a "as empty as it can be" flat. It's less of an hassle to clean up :tongue:

I look forward to living in an "as empty as it can be" place... my family are a bunch of pack rats and I learned from them. I am getting better, but still find it so hard to get rid of some things. That's a focus this time round.

Oh and not replacing the things I get rid of!

Week 1 Day 3 - update

I'm really glad I set up and posted my challenge early this time. My husbands grandmother passed away last Thursday so we spent all day Saturday, Sunday & Monday driving between Toronto (where I live) and Hamilton to do funeral related stuff - without traffic, its about 45 minutes each way. It was definitely sad, but mostly sad for me because she sounds like she was such a wonderful person and I never got to know her. She was 93 when she passed, and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 15 years ago. By the time I met her, 10 years ago, she had already deteriorated enough that she could no longer speak any English, only a very little Italian, and even that wasn't much - it was mostly garble. So that was the start to my challenge.

I thought it was going to be a "bad" start, but turns out I did okay. I got up in the morning and did 30 minutes of ST. I wasn't up to doing the full 40 minute plan because of the lack of sleep on Saturday night / Sunday... of course I had to get up at 7am to watch the gold medal hockey game! So I did my 30 minutes of movement. I ate reasonable amounts of food. I was thinking I wouldn't have done the "get up every hour" part (which would have been okay under the circumstances) but seeing as I'm a part of the family, and they're Catholic, even at mass, we had to get up! So yeah, Monday went surprisingly well all things considered.

Yesterday was fine. I set my timer on my phone to go off every hour. If I got up before it went off, I reset it. Works great. I walked to work yesterday, which is 45 minutes (about 4 km), so that was great for movement.

All in all great start to the challenge.

Quite frankly, if you have a purging area it will makes the things way easier. I know I speak about it often but I really fell in love with the "packing party" concept.

http://www.theminimalists.com/21days/day3/

Put everything in boxes and see what you really need.

Sorry to hear about your husbands grandmother.

But way to go on kicking butt so far!

I'm a hockey fan, but American. *tears* Congrats to Canada though. Canada not winning at hockey is like ... well it would be sacrilege.

It will take me a while to get over that Women's gold medal game though. *more tears*

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

I get crazy excited at the beginning of a challenge aswell. My trouble is keeping that enthousiasm in the last few weeks. But getting better at that!

My condolances. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. :(

Great to hear you still did so well on the challenge. I mean, you did everything in your power! 

Quite frankly, if you have a purging area it will makes the things way easier. I know I speak about it often but I really fell in love with the "packing party" concept.

http://www.theminimalists.com/21days/day3/

Put everything in boxes and see what you really need.

I do have an area - it just keeps getting more stuff put into it... or the door closed so I don't have to look at it! LOL

Thanks for the link - that's awesome! I'm definitely going to think about how to incorporate that. I don't know if I could do my whole house at once, but maybe one room at a time?

Sorry to hear about your husbands grandmother.

But way to go on kicking butt so far!

I'm a hockey fan, but American. *tears* Congrats to Canada though. Canada not winning at hockey is like ... well it would be sacrilege.

It will take me a while to get over that Women's gold medal game though. *more tears*

Thanks!

Yeah, the women's game was insane. I still can't believe we won!

I get crazy excited at the beginning of a challenge aswell. My trouble is keeping that enthousiasm in the last few weeks. But getting better at that!

My condolances. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. :(

Great to hear you still did so well on the challenge. I mean, you did everything in your power! 

Thanks. :peaceful:

Week 1 update:

Everything is going GREAT! Everything has been done that I wanted to... except... I have only had fish / seafood once this week.  I'll make that up this afternoon or evening.

I've moved every day, set my alarm on my phone to get up at least once an hour, and I exercised and got my heart rate up three times this week (including a 5.5 km run yesterday).

I also still have to spend some time purging and cleaning. I'll do that this afternoon, too.

Meal planning - it was a bit vague this week. I have lots of ingredients, but no specific meals to cook, well except for tomorrow - I'm going to do a pork tenderloin in the slow cooker and then we'll have it on corn tortillas as tacos. But I do have lots of ingredients, and I know when I'm cooking so I'm ahead of the game in that. Plus I have planned for my breakfasts for this week (which I'll cook today) and also some make-ahead food for the freezer as I expect work to be very busy in March.

All in all, an excellent week!

I do have an area - it just keeps getting more stuff put into it... or the door closed so I don't have to look at it! LOL

Thanks for the link - that's awesome! I'm definitely going to think about how to incorporate that. I don't know if I could do my whole house at once, but maybe one room at a time?

I did it one room at the time, mostly because I live in an appartement and had no storage room. The biggest work was in my kitchen. Now I have 2 plates, 2 big bowls, 2 small bowls, 2 forks, 2 spoons... and so on :P No more pile of plates waiting in the sink, if we want to eat we have to clean them asap. It's nice to think that even if I had to clean everything in my kitchen it wouldn't take me more than 15 minutes, before it was much longer.

Of course we have more plates and forks for eventual guests, but they are stored somewhere else and used only when we have guests of course. :)

Impressive, Nuala! I don't think I could get it down that far, although I also have a dishwasher, which makes a big difference.

Thanks, Batwoman! The Tacos turned out great! And I have lots of leftover pork for future meals.

I had a surprise day off today, so I went through those boxes and shifted it all into one big box for donations, including some other things I"ve been pulling out of my pantry and closet. I also reorganized the pantry a bit, although it still needs work, especially on my tea shelf!

Exercise is fine, too. I walked to work yesterday, carrying my laptop, and then today I did 20 minutes of Pilates, as well as about a 40 minute fast walk to an appointment.

I had clam chowder for lunch today. Oh and my solution for the second fish for last week - I added a can of salmon to my egg bake that I made for breakfasts for this week. I made it on Sunday, so I'm counting it for last week, even though I'm eating it this week.

Impressive, Nuala! I don't think I could get it down that far, although I also have a dishwasher, which makes a big difference.

It's the kind of minimalism you don't think possible until you try it :P

Its been a long time since I've updated!

Everything is going well, nothing spectacular, just continuing on, which is probably why I haven't updated. lol

Flossing - still continues every day.

Movement has been excellent. Today will be a bit of a challenge - its a surprise day off, but we're in the middle of a snowstorm so I won't be going outside. I will do something here, but my favourite exercise window has passed (while I lay in bed lol) so I'll have to make an effort this afternoon.

Yesterday was glorious. I went for a nice 7km run - it was sunny and mild and just a lovely day. And I knew today was going to be nasty, so I planned all my "out of the house" stuff to do yesterday. Today its about getting things done inside: cooking some freezer meals and other fun recipes I've been wanting to try (hello peanut butter banana chocolate chip muffins!), piles of laundry, purging and organizing. I just have to keep it up and not get side tracked.

Hi Nuala,

Thanks for asking!

I am recovering from a really bad cold - I'm calling it "the plague". I've never had a cold that knocked me like this one before; I was off work 3 days last week, and am still not 100%. My coworker (who gave it to me) said it took him a week and a half or so to finally feel right. By that estimate, I have till the end of this week.

That was last week, but even before that I had been bad about updating, and just overall pretty unenthusiastic about my challenge this time.  On previous challenges, even if I'm not updating on here regularly, I'm tracking, but this time, I've even been neglecting that.  So I don't really know where to go from here. I'm getting back on track with movement (ie I've been able to leave my house the last couple of days!) but I'm not 100% so I can't up my challenge at this time. Perhaps I just focus on the next challenge?

On a positive note - I've only missed 3 days of flossing and that was in the last week when I felt like putting my fingers in my mouth wouldn't be the best idea when I had nasty coughing fits... so I'll at least give myself an A for that. :)

I guess I should write up my conclusion, although I think I summed it up in my previous post.

I was struck with a horrible horrible (what I'm calling "the plague") cold, which knocked me sideways for a long time. Three days home from work, but at least a week longer than that to fully recover. If this was my only issue with the challenge, it would be okay, but its not.

I just lost energy / motivation ... I don't know what, on this challenge. Was it too easy? Maybe. I tried to open it up a bit from the last one, but maybe this was too open, no "challenge" to it. I also stopped tracking. On a positive note, I think I kept up my challenge activities okay, movement every day, flossing, etc, but I didn't keep track so I don't know for sure.

I've been doing better with eating, I think, but its easier for me now since there's no pressure to lose weight. I'll still take it as a positive, though, and try and learn what it feels like to be satisfied for when I do get back to losing weight.

And flossing was great, I think I missed 4 days overall. Again, I don't know for sure because I didn't keep track, but its become a very regular thing for me (again). Let's hope it stays that way!

So overall, no level up. No change in points - how can I give myself points if I don't track? I'm going to take the rest of this week to figure out what to do for the next challenge.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines