Fonzico and the Dragon Hide

Fonzico

eat-sleep-slay-dragons-20120129-111953.j

Well, I've been slaying dragons around here for a while now, and I have to say, I think a few of them are pretty near vanquished... which means it's time to deal with their rotting carcasses! Mmmm, now how's that for a lovely metaphor?

But for real, I've started to develop some much better habits, and this challenge is all about solidifying them and keeping on this trajectory. 

Gutting the Dragon: (+2CON, +2CHA)

Last challenge saw a really successful "Whole30" experience, in which I seriously cleaned up my eating, overcame some food-related mental issues, and even lost a little weight. I now know which foods make me feel like crap,and which make me run like a well-oiled engine (hint: dairy and gluten are not my friends!) so I want to carry on with this way of eating, but with a little more flexibility. This way I can eat out without fear, be less limited while cooking, and not have to make every single condiment myself... while still feeling good and continuing to lose fat. 

GOAL: Up to one TBSP of non-compliant ingredients per day (Stuff like honey in dressing/marinades, soy sauce with sushi, a sprinkle of cheese on a salad, or using a commercial condiment) 

GOAL: 2-3 non-compliant meal components per week (aiming for two most weeks) This does not mean a whole meal of crap. This means a small portion along with good veggies and meat. Stuff like a side of rice or beans, a couple bites of dessert, maybe a small latte, sharing a appetizer. Portion control is key here. 

Caveat: If I'm finding myself slipping too much into old habits, (and you'll know, because I'm posting all my food on here), I will do a week of 100% compliance. I refuse to backslide after all the effort I put in last time, and I think this is an appropriate safety net.

A: All good   B: >7 TBSP of NC ingred. C:>3 NC sides  F: Both 

Skinning the Dragon: (+3STR, +2END)

I'm still loving my kettlebell classes, but I want to add one more proper workout in per week, preferably cardio since I have a 5k hilly, obstacle race this summer that I need to prepare for. Running (jogging/walking, really, I'm terrible) is ideal. Skating/hockey practice also acceptable. Bonus points if my 3rd workout is outside. 

GOAL: 3 workouts per week

Kettlebells Mon/Wed, Cardio: Sat

A: 18   B: 15  C: 12  D:9  F:<9

Burying the heart: (+2WIS, +1DEX)

I started this goal last cycle, and while I definitely did a bunch of meditating, it really didn't become a habit and I want to continue working on this. Part of the problem was that I kept leaving it until before bed and then I would be too tired and just want to sleep.

Therefore, want to meditate more often earlier in the day. However, I said that for practically the whole challenge last time, and never did, so I'm going to ease into it. 

GOAL: Meditate 6 times per week

MODIFIER  Weeks 1&2: 1/6 in the morning

Weeks 3&4: 2/6 in the morning

Weeks 5&6: 3/6 in the morning

A:36  B:32  C:28 D:24  F:<24  Plus a loss of 1/3 of a grade for each modifier missed. 

Making Dragon Hide Armor: (+1WIS, +1CHA)

Create! Ahhh, I love this goal; it makes a come-back every few challenges, and does me so much good!

The focus this go-round is on producing things we can sell at the local market this summer. I have some pretty specific goals I'd like to accomplish this time:

1. Make 6 t-shirts, of 3 different designs. (We have a vinyl cutter and a heat press, which is what I'll be using to do this.)

2. Make a jewelry display/holder (I've done one already, I'll upload a pic to show what I mean when I get a chance)

3. Finish at least one painting that can be made into prints.

4. Make ticket stub holder. (Shadow box, with slot in the top, and vinyl design on front.)

Some flexibility allowed, if I double one category to replace another (ie, make 12 shirts, but no painting, etc.)

A: 4  B: 3  C: 2  D: 1  

BONUS LIFE QUEST: (+1WIS)

Pay off federal student loan. (Technically, it's my husband's, but I'm the financial manager in our household, and we're really trying to get all our debt dealt with, so we can start saving for a house.) There's about $1500 left on it. Two regular payments will come out during this challenge, which are already budgeted for, so we just need to put an extra $100 each towards it every week. It's not unreasonable, just requires some mindfulness and a little extra frugality. 

A: Paid off!  B: $200 left  C:$400 left  D:$600 left F:>$600 left

dragon-baby-2.gif

• Like 3

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Week One:

Gut the Dragon: F

Skin the Dragon: 2/3

Bury the Heart: 5/6

Make the Armour: 0/4

Bonus: $230/$1260

Week Two:

Gut the Dragon:  A

Skin the Dragon: 3/3

Bury the Heart: 6/6

Bonus: $220/$1260

Week Three:

Gut the Dragon:  B

Skin the Dragon: 3/3

Bury the Heart: 6/6-

Bonus: $150/$1260

Week Four:

Gut the Dragon: 

Skin the Dragon: /3

Bury the Heart: /6

Make the Armour: /4

Bonus: /$1260

• Like 1

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

First! The goals look great this time around, lady. I'm excited to see what you make!

• Like 2

Level 77 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

First! The goals look great this time around, lady. I'm excited to see what you make!

In like Flynn :) Thanks, miss! I'll be sure to post pics. 

Wow, what a great challenge. You are really building onto a killer last challenge.

There's plenty packed in there. Go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks, Skywalker! I'm really hoping to build on that momentum while I can. Looking forward to checking your out too :)

Yes and Double Yes!

I love your goals, especially the making of things.  GOOD LUCK!!

Many thanks! I used to play ringette, but it's pretty hard to get a game of pick-up ringette going, so my husband is trying to teach me to be a half-decent hockey player :) 

Whoohoo, can't wait to start tomorrow! Let's do this thing!

Level 20

Awesome, awesome goals. Always love to see something creative (and cannot wait to see your projects!), and huzzah for paying off debt!

Yay, thanks! I hate being in debt, so I get a little giddy each time I make an extra payment... Nerd pleasures! 

Looks good.

Do you have a session time component associated with the meditation goal?

Thanks Matt. I am not worrying about time right now, I just want to get the basic habit down. Plus, I set a goal for 5 min sessions last time, and found myself usually doing 15-20 mins, which I think is sufficient for now. 

Looks great....I'm so excited about my second NF challenge! 

Me too! It only gets better and better, right!? Bring it on!

• Like 1

Level 20

Your challenge was super motivating last time! So definitely following again :)

Thanks, and right back at you! *runs off to find KB Girl's thread*

I am a little unhappy at the moment, because I did not do any Sunday meal prep yesterday, and I'm suffering for it today. I would like to use the excuse that I was wicked busy all weekend (and I was) but the truth is that I could have done that instead of playing LOL for several hours last night. It's okay though, I have a plan to rescue the situation:

- I brought carrots and homemade mayo dip - along with black coffee, this will get me through until lunch.

- At lunch I will go pick up a salad from the grocery store, no cheese, no dressing, and I'll consider whatever they do to the chicken there my NC ingredient for the day. Maybe get an apple too.

- I DID get dinner going at least, I have Green Thai curry chicken soup going in the slow cooker. All compliant. Lovely.

- After kettlebells this evening, I will hard boil some eggs, make some more mayo, and pack a lunch for tomorrow.

Okay, crisis averted!

I also got up and meditated for 15 mins this morning! One big, fat checkmark right there :) I should be getting up a little earlier to do this, as it cut into my getting-ready time a bit, but still a good start to the week. Even if my cat was doing her damnedest to distract me.

• Like 2

Level 20

Kudos for making a plan to get back in the groove!  If I learned anything from earlier challenges its planning, planning, planning.  Its far easier to stay on track food wise when tasty compliant things are already cooked and in the fridge waiting to be lunch or dinner.  I have also jumped on the hard boiled eggs train.  I make a bunch at once, throw two in a bowl with some bacon or sausage and insta-breakfast.

Cats love yoga/meditation time. I have been trying to get more yoga/stretching in my daily life. It has now turned into cat bonding time. The big cat likes to run his rump/tail on my face when I do down dog. It's his own quiet rebellion.

• Like 1

Sorted Hufflepuff, Self Proclaimed Stark, Lover of LEGOS

Love the stuff you love, and pursue your passions without fear or regret.

Weekly Battle Log Here: Silver Sword

Ugh, I KNOW that planning is key - failing to do so is such a stupid way to start things off. Which is exactly why it is not an acceptable excuse to go off track - I have sufficient time and resources to not let it be an issue, so if I still choose to not plan and prepare, then I must face the consequences!

Level 20

Well, the day turned out well after all.

Breakfast: carrots and homemade mayo

Lunch: Green salad with rotisserie chicken, mayo dressing

Snack: banana, pepperoni stick

Dinner: Green Curry Thai chicken soup

I have to give Darkfoxx credit for pushing me to keep my diet goal on the strict side... There were definitely some thoughts like "hmm, there are no salads with chicken but no cheese... Maybe cheese isn't so bad." No! Just get some chicken separately! and "i put rice in this soup last time, that was good" it's well also delicious with rice, and I don't want to use up my free passes so early in the week!

So, in the end, the only non-compliant things I had were the chicken (i assume. But I removed the skin, so it couldn't be too terrible..) And the pepperoni stick had a small amount of sugar in it. Admittedly, I wasn't thinking about how difficult it would be to quantify non-compliant ingredients in pre-made foods but i think that qualifies as well under the 1 TBSP threshold.

Kettlebells were good. I grabbed a 12kg... But didn't use it. Lol. We didn't do any single swings, which would be the natural intro point for a higher weight. I used 8s and 10s though, and still pushed myself. I'll try again on Wednesday :)

• Like 2

Level 20

Whoo hoo! Way to go :) 

And at least you *grabbed* the 12kg - that's a step toward using it! 

Level 77 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

Well, I mean technically, I picked it up, carried it over to my spot, and then returned it - that almost counts as using it, right? Heh.

So I may have overcompensated for my lack of planning yesterday, I brought quite a bit of food with me today! (Some of it is my husband's though, and I wouldn't touch it, including clamato juice and muffins. Fortunately, not only are these non-compliant, but also are totally disgusting in my books) For me, eggs were boiled, mayo was made, and there's lots of leftovers of the delicious soup.

Breakfast: Leftover chicken/salad from yesterday, two HB eggs with mayo

Lunch: Leftover curry chicken soup, apple with almond butter if needed

Dinner: Acorn squash with ground beef +veggies. There's still some rotisserie chicken left, so I may make a chicken filling for the hubs, he likes bird better. Which means I will have leftovers - win for both of us!

And I'm super stoked, because I am chopping off my hair tonight!! My hair has been quite long (past the shoulder blades) for too long now - getting married a couple years ago threw off my usual 3 yr cycle of hacking it off, and last time I got it cut, my friend was doing it, and wouldn't cut it as short as I wanted. So anyways, I am very much looking forward to the cathartic experience of losing damn near a foot of the stuff. I'm going to my sister's BIL, the fancy-pants total hipster hair dresser, it's going to be wonderful.

• Like 1

Level 20

OOh. Pics! I loooove chopping that much hair. Haven't done it in years, but there's something about that big of a head change - totally love it. 

And eew. Clamato. I thought only septuagenarians drank that stuff. Gross. Oh, wait, I think there's some (Mexican?) beer drink that involves Clamato ... I *do* remember seeing a billboard for it in Miami somewhere.   

Level 77 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Caesers are really popular around here, involving clamato, vodka, worchestershire and spices. Also totally gross. But he's just drinking it straight for some reason. It's a new thing. *shrug* At least I convinced him not to get the stuff with msg in it? Small wins.

And I shall absolutely post some pics. That feeling like your head lost about 2lbs; running your fingers through it, and it stopping so soon; forgetting, and pouring out way too much shampoo the first few times - it really is one of my favourite things, I'm getting giddy just thinking about it. And the time I'll save blowdrying! The hubs is a little sad, he likes the long hair. But he'll get over it.

Level 20

Don't think curly hair gives that feeling. When I chop off a foot of it, nobody even notices -.-

Hope you have fun with it though! :D

Nope, I think a foot of curly hair is equal to a couple inches of straight! Sorry you have to miss out on that thrill..  I suppose you could shave your head? That would probably give about the same results!

• Like 1

Level 20

Catching up on your thread. Carrots and homemade mayo for dip sounds delicious.  I wonder about making ranch dressing? I just discovered homemade mayo last challenge and am in love. So easy to make and so super good.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I can't wait for more cooler weather here so that I can crank up the slow cooker again for all manner of beast and vegetable combinations.

I was after some advice regarding this dish. I saw this done on tv on the weekend and ruined a t/shirt by drooling all over it. It's our farmers market weekend this week so I have emailed the butcher and he has beef short ribs. Now the quandary. We have just been invited to a 6th birthday party on Saturday, yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. So I was wondering if you thought I could do this recipe by starting it in pan to brown the meat and vegetables then transfer it to a slow cooker and how long would it need in the slow cooker to soften sufficiently? If that's not going to result in a similar product then I will freeze the beef and do it the following weekend. What do you think?

Level 8 Satyr Scout

STR 11|DEX 5|STA 10|CON 9|WIS 12|CHA 5

Previous Challenge

Woot What?

MFP

Endomondo

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines