Any tips for a newby?

MissCurlyFrog

Hey there :)

I've always been a little intimidated by large message boards and apparently I'm not too good at using the search function, so please excuse me if anything like this has been asked before, and if you're feeling kind direct me towards the thread, okay? :)

So I've read the starting-out-kit, and while I don't want to go full paleo (yet) I'd like to try limiting the paleo-no's. I've already tried leaving out dairy for a week and it seems I felt better, so I try to limit it as much as possible now. (Is soy-milk okay? I guess almond would be better.)

My problem is, I eat a lot of the paleo-no's - dairy, bread, pasta, rice, ... I have a sweet tooth and while I like dried fruit it's a lot more expensive than just grabbing a chocolate-bar. I always have a sweet breakfast, cereal or oat-porrige made with milk and honey or raisins for sweetness. I also have coffee (malt with milk or bean with cream) where I was already able to cut down on sugar. Lunch is also a bit problematic. I prefer having a hearty lunch cause I don't really have dinner most of the time. And since I'm a student I would actually like to prepare meals to take with me to campus so I don't have to buy stuff. So preferably something easy and fast to make, and especially something that tastes good when cold, because there's no means of warming it up...

All in all I would apreciate any tips on how to adjust my diet with these things in mind - links to other threads, recipes, etc, etc.

Thanks to all those who respond and have a nice day :)

Please take what I have to say and add it to other research, what works really well for me may not be ideal for you.

First of all what is your goal? It is to loose weight or bulk muscle?

Next calculate your calories and macros. I added this link from bodybuilding.com since I'm rather lazy at typing all of the information out.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380533

Going Paleo, while is nice if it works for you, isn't a requirement for weight-loss. Try to aim at first for eating the least processed as possible. Read labels if you can't pronounce the ingredients, walk away. Another good rule of thumb is if it's white don't eat it (white rice, white bread, white potatos, ect) Eggs and lean protein are exceptions.

Write down your favorite foods... Then with the less than healthy ones try to come up with a "cleaner" option. 

When I did this I edited out a large amount of junk food.

If it works for you to have a sandwich/wrap for lunch and you like bread pick a nice whole grain version and load it up with veggies and lean protein.

Tip: avacado which is loaded with healthy fats makes a great mayo sub. 

For pasta pick a whole grain and yet again add veggies.

Generally speaking if you can add more vegetables to any meal you are heading in the right direction.

Once a week try having a prep day where you prepare all of your foods for the week. Typically I cook up a slow cooker of vegan chili and it may last me for the week. A friend of mine cooks a large pack of chicken breasts portioned out and uses them all week. 

Eat often, if you have breakfast then plan a snack before lunch and another snack mid afternoon. Personally I love apples dipped in peanut butter. If you know you have a healthy snack you enjoy in your book bag you won't be so tempted to buy that chocolate bar. Also, be sure to take a large water bottle to classes with you, dehydration sometimes manifests itself as hunger.

Hope that helps you.

While this doesn't work for me (I'm not a moderation person, all or nothing over here) you can add in a small unhealthy snack like a piece of chocolate when you truly crave it. 

MedicTWO

Level 0 Human Medic

|STR: 0|DEX: 0|STA: 0|CON: 0|WIS: 0|CHA: 0|

I have yet to define clear goals, I guess it's a bit of a mix of everything? But the eating-thing for the moment is mostly to make me feel better. I often feel flabby or something like that, and since I started trying to reduce my dairy-intake it got a little better, so I wanted to try out a soft version of the paleo to see whether it would make me feel better as well.

My main concern would be to find a good breakfast option for me that doesn't contain too much milk. All those milk-alternatives are about twice as expensive as normal milk, so I'm not sure how good that would work out for me at my current budget. I was just wondering whether anyone had ideas for that.

Also for the lunch-thing. Wraps and sandwiches are nice in summer, but when it's still colder out I would like something more hearty than that, but as I said, I don't have anywhere to heat the stuff up on campus, so something like chili wouldn't really work that well either because it doesn't taste that good cold, does it? I don't even know whether there actually is a hearty homemade take-away lunch-option like that, I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here.

Hey there :)

I've always been a little intimidated by large message boards and apparently I'm not too good at using the search function, so please excuse me if anything like this has been asked before, and if you're feeling kind direct me towards the thread, okay? :)

So I've read the starting-out-kit, and while I don't want to go full paleo (yet) I'd like to try limiting the paleo-no's. I've already tried leaving out dairy for a week and it seems I felt better, so I try to limit it as much as possible now. (Is soy-milk okay? I guess almond would be better.)

My problem is, I eat a lot of the paleo-no's - dairy, bread, pasta, rice, ... I have a sweet tooth and while I like dried fruit it's a lot more expensive than just grabbing a chocolate-bar. I always have a sweet breakfast, cereal or oat-porrige made with milk and honey or raisins for sweetness. I also have coffee (malt with milk or bean with cream) where I was already able to cut down on sugar. Lunch is also a bit problematic. I prefer having a hearty lunch cause I don't really have dinner most of the time. And since I'm a student I would actually like to prepare meals to take with me to campus so I don't have to buy stuff. So preferably something easy and fast to make, and especially something that tastes good when cold, because there's no means of warming it up...

All in all I would apreciate any tips on how to adjust my diet with these things in mind - links to other threads, recipes, etc, etc.

Thanks to all those who respond and have a nice day :)

Try replacing bread and pasta with starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes, potatoes, bananas, plantains, squash, pumpkin, taro) and vegetables.

Do not eat dried fruit of any kind. Eat whole, fresh fruit. Even dark (80%+) chocolate is better (more fat, less sugar) than dried fruit.

If dairy affects you negatively, try coconut milk and homemade almond milk instead (soak raw almonds in water for 8-12hrs, blend 1 cup almonds in 1 cup water, filter out almond solids).

Don't add sugar to anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Level 3 (Adventurer 2/Warrior 1)

8.5 STR | 2.0 DEX | 6.0 STA | 6.5 CON | 3.0 WIS | 3.0 CHA

Challenge: 1 2

Weightlifting log