RedCedar Enters the Forest Gym!

RedCedar

Hello Assassins! 

This is my first guild challenge, and it will be a hectic time for me. I have two HUGE presentations in week one, I start teaching Mountain School again in week 2, my little brother turns 13 (a teenager!) in week 3, my little sister graduates from college in week 4, and I will be leaving for Hawaii the second half of week 6. Whew! Here we go!

Main Quest: Uncover my beach body!

Mostly I want to feel good about myself. I want to be able to look at the photos from my upcoming vacation with my girlfriend and see the fond memories of a friends' wedding and our time together in a beautiful place, instead of my uncomfortableness in my own skin. Success will not be determined by any body measurements, it will be determined by an increase in my confidence.

Goal 1. Finish 100 pushups program!

I’ve started this program several times, but have yet to finish the full 6 weeks. Last challenge I completed the first two weeks, an improvement of one workout and an exhaustion test more than the previous attempt. I love pushups because they make me feel like a badass and it is easy to see improvement. Just one more rep to be better than last time.

Grading:

All six weeks completed = A

5 weeks complete = A-

4 weeks complete = B+

3 weeks complete = B-

2 weeks complete = C

1 week complete = D

Goal 2. Use the Forest Gym!

I found a lovely spot in the National Park that I live in a few weeks ago. A 5-10 minute jog from my house, there are several hills of varying steepness and length that would be perfect for hill sprints. They are just up the trail from a young Western Hemlock with the only suitable branch I can find for practicing chin-ups and pull-ups anywhere near me. (This is a surprisingly difficult task in a thick, coniferous, PNW forest.) Weather permitting; I want to use this “gym†twice a week on average. If conditions are too dangerous, Insanity workouts are an acceptable substitute.

Grading:

12 total forest gym and/or Insanity workouts= A

9 total forest gym and/or Insanity workouts = B

6 total forest gym and/or Insanity workouts = C

3 total forest gym and/or Insanity workouts = D

Goal 3. Resist Dinning Hall temptation, stay true to the Paleo!

The return of Mountain School means a return to eating in the dinning hall twice a day, a constant source for desserts, and a culture of constant stress-eating. I tend to make good choices around dinner, but the dessert temptation is strong. I do not want to give in! My plan:

• Make protein shakes or eggs and bacon breakfasts at home to avoid the French toast and pancakes of the dinning hall.
  • A salad shall accompany all dinners in the dinning hall, and that salad will not include cheese.
  • Desserts will be limited to two per week. Seconds count as two desserts. I must choose wisely.

Grading:

12 desserts or less (2/week) = A

12-18 Desserts (3/week) = B

18-24 Desserts (4/week) = C

24-30 Desserts (5/week) = D

More than 30 desserts is a fail!

Life Goal: Clean my room once per week!

This busy month especially, my constant disorganization has gotten out of hand. I have grown so accustomed to stepping over and around piles of paper and clothes on the floor that I consider myself “clutter blindâ€. But when I am feeling low energy or overwhelmed, I look around my trashed room and it brings me down even more. This challenge I want to start to break that cycle. Plus, If I don’t keep enough floor space clear, I wont be able to do my pushups!

Grading:

Tidy up 6 times = A

Tidy up 5 times = A-

Tidy up 4 times = B+

Tidy up 3 times = B-

Tidy up 2 times = C

Tidy up once = D

Starting Stats: 

Weight: 174.8 lbs.

Body Fat Average: 29.5%

Waist (around widest part): 38 3/4"

Motivation/Mental Reminder: I deserve to be happy. Instant gratification is not happiness. Long-term sustainable health is happiness. Also, climbing trees is happiness :) 

RedCedar uses the pronouns they/them/theirs. What pronouns do you prefer? 

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

I said to the sun, "tell me about the Big Bang".

The sun said, "It hurts to become." 
~A.G. 

What a busy 6 weeks!  You got some great goals.

What is "Mountain School"? It sounds badass

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

You live in a national park, eh? Hmmmm. I live in a national park too. Western Hemlocks, eh? Now I'm trying to figure out where you live.

We don't have a lot of vegetation in my national park. ☺

Good luck on the challenge. Pulls and chins are some of my favorites.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

What is "Mountain School"? It sounds badass

Mountain School is the residential Environmental Education program I work with. Last fall I was working mostly with 5th graders, this spring I will be teaching a range of 5th - high schoolers. The kids come up for 3 to 5 days and stay in our dorm style lodges. I get to spend my days leading them around the forest and teaching science concepts. It's pretty sweet, but entirely exhausting both physically and mentally. 

• Like 1

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

~A.G. 

You live in a national park, eh? Hmmmm. I live in a national park too. Western Hemlocks, eh? Now I'm trying to figure out where you live.

We don't have a lot of vegetation in my national park. ☺

Good luck on the challenge. Pulls and chins are some of my favorites.

I live in the least-visited national park in the lower 48, if that helps narrow it down. I know of a few national parks with little vegetation, are you in the southwest maybe?

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

~A.G. 

I live in the least-visited national park in the lower 48, if that helps narrow it down. I know of a few national parks with little vegetation, are you in the southwest maybe?

Hm. Are there hot springs nearby? Yes, in the southwest. Speaking of vegetation, I live in the desert where Joshua trees are common.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Hm. Are there hot springs nearby? Yes, in the southwest. Speaking of vegetation, I live in the desert where Joshua trees are common.

While there are some hot springs around the state, and ones near-ish, there aren't any in the park (that I know of). My park is home to 312 glaciers. 

My first thought was JTree! Mostly because I love it so much. 

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

~A.G. 

While there are some hot springs around the state, and ones near-ish, there aren't any in the park (that I know of). My park is home to 312 glaciers.

My first thought was JTree! Mostly because I love it so much.

Aha.... how about North Cascades?

I'm not at Jtree. I'm in the largest np in the lower 48.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

Yep! North Cascades. I'm nearly snowed in right now, had to shovel for half an hour to get off my porch.

What are you doing in Death Valley Sea Level?

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

~A.G. 

Yep! North Cascades. I'm nearly snowed in right now, had to shovel for half an hour to get off my porch.

What are you doing in Death Valley Sea Level?

I work for the NPS, doing tours through Scotty's Castle, if you know where that is...?

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Pro Aris et Focis

****This is a semi-automated message from your fruity overlord guild leader.****

Hello and welcome to the assassin guild! I am Apfelstrudi and I'm one of your guild leader. First of all, I want to thank you for having chosen our guild as your first one, it makes us really happy and proud. I really hope you will enjoy being with us and that you will find here all the support you need.

What you need to know.

Whatever you do, remember that your challenge is your priority. Mini-challenges, guild activities, PVP are not mandatory. They are here for you to have fun, discover new exercises, have some friendly competitions but they must not hinder your progresses. If a mini-challenge seems too overwhelming for you, just don't do it.

Being here with us will give you access to many other not mandatory activities, aka:

- Skill mini-challenge. The skill mini-challenge will start on Monday, February 24 and will last the whole challenge (aka 6 weeks). As the name may suggest, you will be asked to work on a skill over the course of the challenge.

- Mini-challenges: Every other Mondays (usually), a new mini-challenge will be published. These one lasts one week and will ask you to do some special exercises. Each mini-challenge can reward you some stat points after completions. More information will be displayed in the mini-challenges threads!

- PVP. PVP are competitions started by other members of the rebellion. If you enjoy measuring yourself to other, they may be the right thing for you. So, don't forget to check the PVP forum (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/189-pvp-challenges/) to find or even make your own PVP! Remember to read the rules (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33330-pvp-challenge-rules/) though  :)

What I expect from you!

Consistency, awesomeness and regular updates. One update at the end of the challenge won't do, we want to be able to see you are still here with us. One Update a week is a minimum. More would be even better  :)

Don't stay by yourself. If you want people to follow your thread and support you, you may have to do the same. You will probably find many people who share the same goals as you, go visit their thread, cheer on them and they will probably do the same.

If you want to find people that work towards the same goals as you, have a look at our assassin phonebook: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/44718-the-assassin-phonebook/

Make sure you subscribe to the announcement thread:

And if you don't want to subscribe, make at least sure you read it once a week. It is usually updated on Monday/Tuesday to present the new mini-challenge and Assassin most wanted list.

Don't stay by yourself bis! The assassin's den is open to all, you have funny gifs to share, a story to tell, needs some advices or just want a place to chat? The Assassin's den is the place to go (also, we have parkour corgis, ninja cats and killer sloth)!

What else?

If you have any problems, questions or suggestions for the guild, feel free to send your guild leaders a PM. Also, we are still looking for journalists to work on the weekly most wanted list. The job is quite simple albeit a bit time consuming. PM Apfelstrudi for more details.

Sorry for the wall of text! I wish you luck for this challenge!  :D

****This was a semi-automated message from your fruity overlord guild leader.****

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

Okay I'm jealous that you're going to Hawaii.  I am sulking.  And pouting.  I may even stamp my foot.  Which island? (don't say Kauai because I'll be TOO jealous)

Love the balance of goals.  I used to be a total packrat for clutter but I got into minimalism and started decluttering about four years ago.  I'm a bit obsessed with it now... decluttering is addictive...

Good luck - will be cheering you on!

First challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42349-fishfaces-first-challenge-i-will-be-a-fitter-fish/

Second (unfinished) challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/44302-fishfaces-second-challenge-an-even-fitter-fish/

Current challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/87321-respawned-fishface-swims-again/

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.†― Terry Pratchett, 'Equal Rites'

Hey buddy!  I jumped to assassin from n00b, too!  I look forward to following you again!  Let's get to it!

Glad I'm not the only one! Being an assassin just sounds too fun, I didn't want to wait. Let's do this!

Okay I'm jealous that you're going to Hawaii.  I am sulking.  And pouting.  I may even stamp my foot.  Which island? (don't say Kauai because I'll be TOO jealous)

I guess I just won't say anything at all then :) I can hardly wait 

Love the balance of goals.  I used to be a total packrat for clutter but I got into minimalism and started decluttering about four years ago.  I'm a bit obsessed with it now... decluttering is addictive...

Good luck - will be cheering you on!

Decluttering might be a goal further down the line, but right now I'm starting with "be able to see the floor." hahaha

Thank you! I'll be cheering you on again too!

I love your forest gym thing! Following along to see how that goes. Climbing trees is definitely happiness - I used to spend hours up a tree or hanging upside down from trees as a child... Definitely something to reclaim as an adult!

I'll have to wait for this snow to melt away first, we've gotten about three feet in the last three days! All this shoveling and post-holing just to get around is making for good exercise, but it wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I decided to spend a few hours sledding rather than go to Insanity tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll be more motivated to work out, tonight was about reclaiming joy. 

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

~A.G. 

Yesterday was day one of the challenge, but by my actions I hardly would have known. I resisted a plate full of delicious looking chocolate chip cookies that sat in front of me for several hours, but that was about it on the diet and intentional exercise front. I did manage to be active outside for a few hours, shoveling snow and hiking uphill in thigh to knee deep powder in the process of an epic sledding adventure. Then I came home and stared at my computer for hours on end, feeling a bit down about my whimper of a start to this challenge. 

So I decided to do something about it. Slowly, while watching netflix, I picked up my room. All clean clothes put away, all dirty clothes in a basket. Other things like papers shoved into a pile in the corners, but still, I can see my floor. I even made my bed before getting in it last night. I never think my room being a mess is a big deal until I see it clean(er). It's kind of inspiring. I may even change my life goal to "be able to use my desk for a desk, and not crap storage". A side quest, perhaps?

This morning I rolled out of bed, made it again and got to work with the initial test for the 100 pushups program. 

This time I'm starting from 24 solid pushups! Oddly enough my test results suggest I should start the program at the beginning of week 3, exactly where I left off the last time I attempted this program. 

Got an Insanity session in this evening! Whew, it's been a while. I got to the dinning hall too late for the salad bar to still be out, so no salad with my scrounged up leftovers. I did manage to resist dessert, despite the chef informing me it was my responsibility to finish the last chocolate creme brulee. 

Day two in the bag! And check out my shiny new rubric I stole from MaxCurtis :) 

Pushups: 1/4 0/3 0/3 0/4 0/3 0/3 | 1/20

Forest!:    1/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 | 0/12

Dessert:   0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 | 0/12

Clean:      1/1 0/1 0/1 0/1 0/1 0/1 | 1/6

• Like 1

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

~A.G. 

*lurking in the forest. you can't see me.*

I had no idea creme brulee came in chocolate. Now I'm intrigued.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

*lurking in the forest. you can't see me.*

I had no idea creme brulee came in chocolate. Now I'm intrigued.

Who said that, is someone there? For your information mysterious voice in the forest, it mostly looked like chocolate pudding in a fancy ramekin (sp?)

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

~A.G. 

100 push ups program week 3 day 1 done! Right when I rolled out of bed, got to work and cranked out 67 pushups over 5 sets. (It took me an extra set to finish the last 5 reps for a total of 72). Last time around I was working on level three of the program, starting from week one. This time my initial test started me off on week 3, but back down to level two. It was damn hard this morning. 

I spent my afternoon in a canoe training, so I got some bonus exercise from paddling and practicing T-rescues. During a T-rescue, the person in the stern pulls the capsized canoe out of the water and up onto their rescue canoe upside-down to drain any water. Then they flip it and put it back in the water. Most of the other staff struggled to get the canoe out of the water, so I prepared for a heavy lift.

When it was my turn to practice as stern, I forgot to dump the water out of capsized canoe, and yanked it still right-side up onto my canoe in one motion. The staff member leading the training called my rescue maneuver "beastly, but wrong." hahaha I'll take it! :)

I had dessert tonight in the dinning hall, a berry cobbler with whipped cream. I found it unsatisfyingly too sweet. Maybe I'll keep it to one dessert this week. 

Pushups: 2/4 0/3 0/3 0/4 0/3 0/3 | 2/20

Forest!:    1/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 | 1/12

Dessert:   1/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 0/2 | 1/12

Clean:      1/1 0/1 0/1 0/1 0/1 0/1 | 1/6

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

~A.G. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines