Hiraedd: Hira-Keeping

Hiraedd

Right now I am pulled in so many directions that I’m afraid I’m going to tear down the middle.  I have friends divorcing, with kids caught in the middle, who both need love, support, and care.  I have a daughter who needs more and more attention as she struggles to find her identity with an overbearing father telling her who to be and what to think every second week.  I have friends whose marriage is in turmoil and need some extra support while they sort things out.  I have a group of six teenage girls that I mentor, and an older teenage girl whom I am mentoring in mentoring them.  I have these boards, where I give and receive support, and help run the Adventurer’s Guild.  I have a friend whom I typically exercise with once a week but I haven’t seen since January that I need to reconnect with.  I work as an Educational Assistant with children who have mental or physical difficulties and require additional support in the classroom.  The list goes on and on.  And don’t get me wrong; I’m not complaining. I’m just not sure how I’m going to deal with everything because although I love deeply and willingly pour myself out for others I remain an introvert who does not find it energizing to be around other people. I found last challenge, with all it’s emotional turmoil, very difficult.  And so here I am on the verge of another one, and all I can do is remember that with everyone who needs me I need to look after myself first.  And so, in short, my main goal this challenge is Hira-keeping.

Here are the things I need to do over the next six weeks to look after ME so that I can, in turn, look after other people.

1) Quiet time +3 WIS +2 DEX

Minimum 1 1/2 hours of alone time each day.  Experiment to figure out whether this is best done in before work, after work, or before bed.  This may include quiet music, prayer, silence, stretching/yoga, meditation, or even a nap.  It may NOT include reading, computers, video games, movies, or thinking about all the things I need to do.

2) Exercise +3 STR +1 STA

Continuing the Star Wars workout, with the following adaptations:

Warm-up is a 10 minute walk or dancing (wii)

Handstands are done as long as they can be held, and then other core work finishes the 5 minute requirement: planks, superman, hollow body, etc.

Workout is split over 2 days, followed by a rest day. expectation is 2 full workouts/week

Modifications or missing days are allowed for other physical activities (eg: snowboarding, if the opportunity arises) or for health reasons (reflux, sore throat, etc).

3) Feed myself well +3 CON

I have been grain free for a long time now, but I find that in times of stress it’s really easy to increase my carb intake beyond vegetables to excessive amounts of things like ice cream, fruit, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, chocolate, etc.  I don’t have the extra brainspace to track my food intake right now, so instead I’ll be acting on a meal to meal basis actively making good decisions about the carb content and fueling myself with things that make me feel good long term: meats, vegetables, and good fats.

4) Stretch +3 DEX

Mobility work after every workout.  I feel best when I’m not storing a ton of extra stress and tension in my joints and muscles, and since I can't afford massages, stretching it is!

Here's to not only holding it together, but to getting a little bit better every day.

• Like 2

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Sounds like life is really busy for you now! So I really like your first goal, because some quiet time for yourself is really important. Good luck with this challenge, and all the stuff life throws at you. <3 I think it's wonderful btw that you support people and are a mentor etc. :)

Hira, I've watched you "struggle" and win for months (we're heading into years) and although you might doubt your ability sometimes, i know you are 100% capable of pulling through.

Good luck with this challenge - i'm glad to see you're putting time aside for yourself - and you know that you can call on your fellow guild leaders (i.e. me) to give you a hand. 

Hugs xxx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks, both of you.  And yes, Blaidd, I know I can fall back on you guys, which is why I'm still here and not trying to cut NF out of my life while things return to a more even keel.  I appreciate all the support.

Three days in I am already feeling a lot less overwhelmed than I was when I wrote the challenge up.  General anxiety level has plummeted and I even fit in a workout today.  Here's how it looks:

Monday:

Quiet time: yes

Feed: yes

Tuesday:

Quiet time: yes

feed: yes

Wednesday:

Quiet time - half an hour left to go, will do it before bed

feed: 2 good choices out of 3.

workout: yes!  Did the first half of the star wars workout, with box jumps....which might be my new favourite exercise, except do you know if they're supposed to make your butt hurt?  I have a seriously sore posterior, and it's the only thing I did different.  3x15 box jumps.  Anyway, here's to not needing to sit for a while....

stretch: yes

Now I'm off to catch up on 3 people's threads.  Whose will they be?

• Like 1

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Way to rock the self-care!

I am so here for you, my dear. Please let the community nurture you - you not only need it, you deserve it. And those you give to deserve the best, most energized and centered Hira ever.

Love & peace, darling.

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

And woot! I feel so honored!

Thanks for cheering me on. I love your support.

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

box jumps are an explosive exercises that engage your core (from abs to glutes to quads and hamstrings) so completely understandable that your butt would hurt :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Love the theme of your challenge--it sounds very smart at this point in your life to be emphasizing self care. Looks like you're rocking it as always, Hiraedd!

Human Ranger, Level 10
Long-term Goal: Hike WA section of Pacific Crest Trail, August 2014

Current Challenge | Facebook (personal & locavore) | Blog | Twitter

"You stand at the verge, and you could become anything." - Dan Chaon

Way to rock the self-care!

I am so here for you, my dear. Please let the community nurture you - you not only need it, you deserve it. And those you give to deserve the best, most energized and centered Hira ever.

Love & peace, darling.

And woot! I feel so honored!

Thanks for cheering me on. I love your support.

<3 you, too, Heidi.  I appreciate all the loves, hugs, and supports!

box jumps are an explosive exercises that engage your core (from abs to glutes to quads and hamstrings) so completely understandable that your butt would hurt :)

LOL -- I wish someone had told me that BEFORE I tried them.  Now I like them too much to stop....

Box jumps always look like such a fun exercise! And you get a sore booty too so that's  a win ;D

I didn't think of a sore booty as something to be thankful for....may have to adjust my thinking slightly :)  I do, however, like the box jumps a lot, and can't wait until I can jump up on tall things -- that's when they're really badass.  For now, jumping up on a stair is as BA as I get.

Love the theme of your challenge--it sounds very smart at this point in your life to be emphasizing self care. Looks like you're rocking it as always, Hiraedd!

Thanks, Pallas!  I appreciate the cheering section :)

Thursday:

workout:.....pretty sore.  I'm going to do the walk for sure.  Will play the rest by ear.

quiet time:  oops.  better get off the computer and onto that!

stretch: to do after walking and whatever I do for workout.

Will update later or tomorrow with more concrete details.  Good thing I came on so I remembered I was supposed to be relaxing!  Laters :D

• Like 1

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

great goals directed to specific time in your life !!!

sounds like they will help you for sure in finding balance in difficult days ahead !!!

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

I find this somewhat applicable

airplane01.jpg

take care of yourself in order to better take care of others

oh and SUB!!

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

So to recap Thursday, with details.

Thursday:

workout:.....pretty sore.  I'm going to do the walk for sure.  Will play the rest by ear.

Did the walk (listened to the star wars theme song to get me motivated), the bodyweight rows (2x10), the waiter carries (60s w/20 lbs), and the hanging.  Found that my core was too sore/weak to engage for pushups.

quiet time:  oops.  better get off the computer and onto that!

fit in my quality time, all of it.

stretch: to do after walking and whatever I do for workout.

done.

great goals directed to specific time in your life !!!

sounds like they will help you for sure in finding balance in difficult days ahead !!!

Thanks, Panczo!  I've already seen great benefits, and it's only the first week.

I find this somewhat applicable

airplane01.jpg

take care of yourself in order to better take care of others

oh and SUB!!

I find that very appropriate!  :)  Tks, Jenn!

Friday:

workout: rest day

stretch: rest day

quality time: yes

Saturday:

workout: nope.  Spent from 10 am to 5 pm driving to, at, and driving home from a funeral, internment, and visiting with friends and family.  We lost a beloved friend this week who has been like a grandfather to me.  It was a tough time, but also a good one, since he was suffering quite a bit.

feed: umm...1 of 3. wait, I had sweet potatoe for breakfast, so nope.

stretch: nope

quality time: yes.  Desperately needed it after the funeral and all those people.

Sunday:

workout: hmm...I wonder if I still have time to fit it in before my meeting.  If I can, I need to find a box to jump on.

feed: 2 of 3.  Pretty happy with that, since all I've wanted to eat was ice cream.  Mmm....ice cream.

stretch: TBA

quality time: half so far.  Will do the rest before bed.

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Sunday:

workout: hmm...I wonder if I still have time to fit it in before my meeting.  If I can, I need to find a box to jump on.

Fit in the workout, and am glad I did.  Couldn't find a box to jump on that was a not-scary height, so used the stairs again.  Didn't complete them all as we are dogsitting and the dog lost its mind everytime I jumped...and someone else was trying to have a nap.

feed: 2 of 3.  Pretty happy with that, since all I've wanted to eat was ice cream.  Mmm....ice cream.

stretch: TBA no stretch -- not enough time before the meeting, and no time after

quality time: half so far.  Will do the rest before bed. stayed after the meeting to hang out with friends.  Played some "dr. Mario" and SuperMario Bros on the old Nintendo, then played a game of Alhambra, and a game of hoopla.  Then it was 1am and I went home.  True story.  Except now on Monday I'm a bit "peopled" out.  Lots of extra rest required today.

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Here's to not only holding it together, but to getting a little bit better every day.

I am so down with that, Hira! You sound like you're well on your way to getting a bit better each day. I'm really glad to hear you general anxiety is down, that can make things seems so much worse than they are and be really tiring and overwhelming.

Big hugs and lots of support for your self-care <3

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Just dropping in to cheer you on.

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Thanks for the cheering, guys :)  It is much appreciated!

Feed and quality time I'm 100% on this week.  It's been refreshing.  Of course, every time I start to feel like I get a grip on things it seems like there's something else to work on.  My brain is telling me that I'm now ready to start working on a cut.  Me, the person who is petrified of being hungry due to past darkness?  Yes, me.  Not sure what it will look like yet, or when it will start, but I want to be free to be hungry and not panic, if that makes any sense.  I've done a great job of managing my health without being hungry, but apparently my brain thinks now is the time to push past the next obstacle.  Will keep you posted on what and when and such.

I haven't done any workouts or stretching yet this week. It's Thursday now, and I'm still feeling pretty peopled out, although I'm getting to the point where I feel like I can start doing things again.  Starting to get the urge to exercise, so I'm hoping to go for a walk with a friend today, and then tomorrow hit a real workout.  I am thinking I may try all the star wars workout at once, since it's short and my core can't take it two days in a row...plus I  have the weekend to recover if it's a bad choice.

I bought a foam roller, and oh my goodness do I love it.  Have been foam rolling since Tuesday.  Back, neck, shoulders...awesome.  Haven't really figured out how to do my calves properly yet, but I have high hopes once I do.

Here's hoping my friend is willing to walk!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Foam rolling totally counts as stretching.

Let me know how the star wars workout goes!

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

I absolutely LOVE my foam roller... I would marry it were that legal in my state ;)

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

wait, foam rolling counts as streching?  I will never be unstretched again.  so. good.

No walk yesterday since my friend had 2 of her 3 boys napping when I went over, but she did need to talk through some frustrations and other tough things in her world, so we did that instead.

Today:

workout: yes.  Tried the full starwars workout, and I think it killed me.

walk 10 min @2.7mph, 2% incline

handstands: wall plank, 20s

plank: straight arm, 40s

bodyweight row: 1x10, 1x10

force pushup: incline, 4th stair, 1x5, 1x5

waiter carry: 20lbs, 45s each arm

shuttle run: 8 lengths of downstairs hallway

hang from bar: 30s

box jumps: 1x13, 1x13

superman: 30s

hollow body: 30s

stretching: foam rolling

feed: yes. 3/3

quiet time: Reeeeeeaaaalllly long bubble bath.  Heaven in a tub.

- did most of the workout as a circuit

- the shuttle run almost killed me. I definitely had to stop and catch my breath.

- was not happy to have to drop up a step in order to do the force pushups -- they're too difficult for me to do with good form on the 3rd stair.  The upside of putting the whole workout together is that I still had the abs to do them, which I likely wouldn't tomorrow

- moved the superman and hollow body (not part of the star wars workout, just something I keep up) to the end so I saved some ab strength for pushups and rows

- felt strong on the rows today!

-haven't made any progress on the handstands recently, so I decided to pull it down the wall a little and build up more wall plank time before I try again.  Found my wrists really sore; they are going to limit my ability to do this, I think.  Will keep doing some straight arm planks and see if that helps (I usually do them on my forearms)

- when it was all said and done I nearly fell asleep on the floor.

All in all I enjoyed doing the star wars workout all together rather than split over 2 days as I have been doing it, and it did allow me to work on my pushups, which I haven't been able to fit in otherwise due to ab soreness on day 2.  Doing it all together lowered my numbers in pretty much everything, but I can take a day or two of rest now and then decide if I want to do it again, or if I want to do other strength training 1 or 2 times a week and do this as a whole body routine once a week.

The really nice thing is that I felt like I used to feel when I could work out hard.  I felt so strong!  I did have to take some acid reducers right after the walk because I could feel the thickness growing in my throat and chest (acid splash causes mucus build up) but then was able to finish the rest without anything additional, so I'm pretty pleased with that as well.  I think I'll try just some light walking tomorrow and see how DOMS-ey I feel on Sunday before I make any more programming decisions.

A solid day.  And only two more sleeps until my munchkin comes home.  Things are looking up.

• Like 2

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

I TOTALLY count foam rollin as stretchin ;)

glad that things are looking up :)

Spoiler

Awesome report. Glad the core is still strong!

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Hira, I've watched you "struggle" and win for months (we're heading into years) and although you might doubt your ability sometimes, i know you are 100% capable of pulling through.

Good luck with this challenge - i'm glad to see you're putting time aside for yourself - and you know that you can call on your fellow guild leaders (i.e. me) to give you a hand. 

Hugs xxx

This was just an awesome post. I had to like it.

Level 7 Hobbit Scout
STR: 9.2 | DEX: 7.2 | CON: 14 | STA: 15.15 | WIS: 16.7 | CHA: 12.7

I've been all over the world. Except Asia, Africa, and South America. - Coach McGuirk
My Bio My Blog Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines