• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The King of Lame

Escrima tips and tricks

Su'cuy gar, vode an!

This is the King of Lame and I'm curious as to if anyone has done any work with escrima sticks.
I am currently teaching myself and a friend what very little I know, we're having fun but not really getting better.

So I'm requesting any helpful tips and tricks anyone has to offer.
Or if you know of any sites that can help provide useful information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Vor'e and stay rebellious, Nerds!

Don't get too intricate with the patterns, especially if your friend is newer. A couple basic sinwali drills, drilled over and over at a slower pace is best. Pick up speed in those before continuing to more advanced patterns. It looks cool to do the stuff faster, but it isn't practical if you're sacrificing your accuracy for speed. There are some really good videos on youtube.

I've not done escrima long, but I'm enjoying it.

• Like 1

Dan Inosanto is a great resource. There are some videos on youtube that are pretty good for it. Practice slow to start. Slow is smooth and Smooth is Fast. By practicing slower you'll develop proper control and technique that will gradually increase in speed.

• Like 1

Vor'e, ner vod.
We both started at the same time, though I think I do more goofing around with them than he does.

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" was something we said often in Basic Training. I definitely agree with you.
I appreciate the tips, you guys. 

What about foot work? Should we have a more squared stance, as if firing a rifle, or a more diagonal stance, to make a smaller target?

For me that tends to depend on range. I personally square up more as I get tighter to an opponent, and allow a more open stance at range.

I feel the squared stance provides more use of both sides of the body as well as preventing a "just what is in front of you" focus/mindset. Farther out though I tend to allow the body to open more to make full use of the range of the weapon with the full range of the arms/body, particularly when striking for the opponents striking arm/let. "Defanging the snake"  For the most part Kali/Escrima seems to work that way too, though I'm by no means an expert in it. If your working two weapons you'll likely stay more square. Single weapon you'll pretty much always want the lead leg to be the weapon side.

Think of your stances as more transitive, something you move into and out of rather than a static position and it should help a bit more.

I've done a fair bit of stickwork myself, I would suggest start simple, very simple. Single stick strike combinations before progressing onto double stick. Always keep your empty hand behind your stick, keeps you from breaking your fingers when training disarms.

As stated above, Dan Inosanto is a great resource on Filipino weaponry, as is Cacoy Canete if you can find any videos of him.

• Like 1