SammyShark's Next Adventure

SammyShark

...I am in a relationship now...

This is a major change for me. It happened pretty quickly; it's long distance, but it's very serious. Anyway, my natural tendency is to say, "My motivation is to look hot for the next time I see my boyfriend!" (I hope you read that in your best valley girl accent, because that's how I said it.) But we all know that's not a healthy or helpful attitude to have. This dude knows what I look like. Granted, I am a few pounds heavier than I was the last time I saw him, but he knows generally what I look like. And he knows all the bad shit about me, and is still interested in pursuing this. So - hey, I found a great guy. Now I need to not be insane - not an easy feat, I assure you.

So what IS my motivation for this challenge? I still want to lose more weight. I have a long way to go, but weight loss is definitely a goal. I also want to figure out WHAT my goals are. I was reading Steve's blog post about the whole "Are we there yet?" mentality, and while I sometimes feel that way - Have I lost the weight yet? Do I feel comfortable naked yet? - I also don't know where THERE is. I'm not sure what my other fitness goals are. I want to increase my overall fitness level. I want to have better stamina in running, cycling, yoga, the stairmaster (yes, I'm serious). I want to be stronger and be able to do body weight exercises like I did when I was in college (you know, when I was working out 25 hrs/week, at least 3 hrs of which were strength training). I want to learn to lift. I want to climb. I want to do more races. I want to get back into swimming. I have so many fitness things I want to achieve, sometimes I don't know where to start. I think part of that paralysis is that I'm not where I have been in the past. My general fitness level is low right now. I'd like to continue to work on rebuilding that general fitness level so I can focus on other stuff. I guess that's my motivation. Get to the place where I can start to train for other things I'm excited about.

Which leads us right into goals, doesn't it? Gotta continue endurance training, gotta up the strength training (for realsies), gotta focus on healthy diet, etc. To that end, here are my goals:

Main Quest: Enjoy the Adventure.

I don't want to be so distracted by "end goals" that I don't enjoy the process. This goes for everything in my life these days, but especially fitness goals and my relationship.

Goal 1: Nutrition

Keep on keepin' on. I eat most paleo, but sometimes more LCHF.

- Focus on healthy fats, adequate veggies/protein

- Limit nuts, nut butters, coconut butter, cheese

- Meal plan

Grading: 1 pt for each day that I eat within my plan.

CON 4

Goal 2: Get my head in order

I've been feeling very scattered lately, and I want to be more thoughtful and deliberate in my actions.

- Meditate 5 min/day

- Clean up physical spaces (one per week) to help keep head clear

Grading: 1 pt for meditating each day, 5 pts for cleaning up a major area (deep clean, organize, throw stuff out, etc.)

CHA 2 | WIS 1

Goal 3: Workout

Continue to make improvements in fitness level and focus on strength training.

- Workout 6x/wk

- At least 2x/wk strength training

- Continue C25K training with Wufkar and Sister

Grading: 1 pt per workout BUT if I don't get 2 strength workouts in for the week, then my "extra" cardio sessions don't count for points.

STR 2 | STA 2 | DEX 1

Life Quest: Finances

Take more control over finances and follow my budget better.

- Implement the envelope system

- Reduce extraneous spending

Grading: Pass/Fail every two weeks based on staying withing 10% of my total budget.

CHA 1 | WIS 2

• Like 2

Level: 2  Race: Elan  Class: None

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge | Challenge 1 1.5 2 | Battle Log 

Girl, I love your goals and I love how they're broken down! You are going to ROCK this challenge and I can't wait to see it! :D And 5 DAYS!

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

...I am in a relationship now...

This is a major change for me. It happened pretty quickly; it's long distance, but it's very serious. Anyway, my natural tendency is to say, "My motivation is to look hot for the next time I see my boyfriend!" (I hope you read that in your best valley girl accent, because that's how I said it.) But we all know that's not a healthy or helpful attitude to have. This dude knows what I look like. Granted, I am a few pounds heavier than I was the last time I saw him, but he knows generally what I look like. And he knows all the bad shit about me, and is still interested in pursuing this. So - hey, I found a great guy. Now I need to not be insane - not an easy feat, I assure you.

So what IS my motivation for this challenge? I still want to lose more weight. I have a long way to go, but weight loss is definitely a goal. I also want to figure out WHAT my goals are. I was reading Steve's blog post about the whole "Are we there yet?" mentality, and while I sometimes feel that way - Have I lost the weight yet? Do I feel comfortable naked yet? - I also don't know where THERE is. I'm not sure what my other fitness goals are. I want to increase my overall fitness level. I want to have better stamina in running, cycling, yoga, the stairmaster (yes, I'm serious). I want to be stronger and be able to do body weight exercises like I did when I was in college (you know, when I was working out 25 hrs/week, at least 3 hrs of which were strength training). I want to learn to lift. I want to climb. I want to do more races. I want to get back into swimming. I have so many fitness things I want to achieve, sometimes I don't know where to start. I think part of that paralysis is that I'm not where I have been in the past. My general fitness level is low right now. I'd like to continue to work on rebuilding that general fitness level so I can focus on other stuff. I guess that's my motivation. Get to the place where I can start to train for other things I'm excited about.

I think Steve's "Are we there yet" is one of best ones.

Everyone says "lose weight" is the goal. But, losing weight is a result of your actions.

What changes your outcome is to change your actions, which is what you eat, how you exercise and how much you sleep.

So, the challenge has to be something to do with changing eating habits, cooking more real food, start lifting, climbing, etc.

Would you like to learn tennis? :tongue:

I now think that setting "I am going to lose X pounds" or "Lose 2 pounds/week by lowering calories" is simply wrong.

Those goal oriented challenge is, you are doing the challenge for challenge sake. You are wasting the challenge.

I've made this mistake in my 2nd challenge.

I see many people setting this as goal - like "500 calories less than TDEE". That's the result.

You need to focus on what makes that 500 calories deficit. That's action.

You may lose weight limiting calories for 6 weeks, but if you don't change what and how you eat, it's not going to stick for the long run.

The challenge is an opportunity to change your habits. I'm glad you've come to your conclusion after "Are we there yet?", as the blog reaffirmed what I was thinking.

There is no "There" indeed in measurable sense.

My "there" is to establish healthy mentality to push myself to do everything better, food, exercise, tennis, sleep.

With that, I think that you'll have better habit that makes you healthier.

In short, I love your goals. Good luck.

-- TG

• Like 1

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Girl, I love your goals and I love how they're broken down! You are going to ROCK this challenge and I can't wait to see it! :D And 5 DAYS!

WOOOOOO!!!!

lets-do-this.gif

Gotcha!

Also, thank you for wandering aimlessly around the mall with me. I'm certain you had better things to do with your time :)

Hahaha. Walking aimlessly around is basically my life description. But the mall is a good place to do it. And it was really good for me to exercise my willpower and not buy anything.

And this gif is freaking fabulous.

I think Steve's "Are we there yet" is one of best ones.

Everyone says "lose weight" is the goal. But, losing weight is a result of your actions.

What changes your outcome is to change your actions, which is what you eat, how you exercise and how much you sleep.

So, the challenge has to be something to do with changing eating habits, cooking more real food, start lifting, climbing, etc.

Would you like to learn tennis? :tongue:

I now think that setting "I am going to lose X pounds" or "Lose 2 pounds/week by lowering calories" is simply wrong.

Those goal oriented challenge is, you are doing the challenge for challenge sake. You are wasting the challenge.

I've made this mistake in my 2nd challenge.

I see many people setting this as goal - like "500 calories less than TDEE". That's the result.

You need to focus on what makes that 500 calories deficit. That's action.

You may lose weight limiting calories for 6 weeks, but if you don't change what and how you eat, it's not going to stick for the long run.

The challenge is an opportunity to change your habits. I'm glad you've come to your conclusion after "Are we there yet?", as the blog reaffirmed what I was thinking.

There is no "There" indeed in measurable sense.

My "there" is to establish healthy mentality to push myself to do everything better, food, exercise, tennis, sleep.

With that, I think that you'll have better habit that makes you healthier.

In short, I love your goals. Good luck.

-- TG

Yep - certain things are just not worth focusing on. Although, I think regardless of your focus, it's easy to get to caught up in a certain goal and get distracted from enjoying life or just being healthy because of that goal. I feel like Steve wrote about that too recently. How goals can be bad sometimes.

Anyway, it's all about the journey, enjoying the journey, and being in it for the long haul!

And YES I want to learn how to play tennis! And also how to golf. I belong in a country club, obviously. Lol.

UPDATE!

Ummmmm food is good. I have not been overeating it. Woo!

Workouts are also good. I have not been slacking. Although my shoulder is seriously weak so too much strength training with it hurts like hell. I've got to take it slow.

Mind is still overloaded. I have not been doing a good job of meditating. Mostly because I seem to spend 2-4 hours on the phone with a certain boyfriend every night and by the time we get off the phone, I just fall asleep. BALANCE. Hello? Gotta work on that.

Money is good, too, but only because I haven't been truly tempted. I think. I don't know. I'm just not buying things. Which is good, because I don't NEED to buy things. Except I bought a plane ticket to see boyfriend which ended up being more expensive than I originally thought - because we waited too long. Whoops. So need to do better with that. He's buying the next ticket though.

Major things now are just getting ready to take the bar in July. Eek. Gotta get my MPRE and MBE scores transferred, and figure out what all I need to get done to actually complete the application. Criminal background checks and such. Blah.

Worth it.

1) I'm really glad you're focusing on some different things this challenge, and not stressing over weight.  That's really awesome mental progress right there :D

2) Yay awesome boyfriend!

3) Your update looks great!  Sounds like you're truckin' along.  Keep it up!

Don't be fooled - I'm still thinking about my weight! :) I am definitely not stressing over it the same way I have in the past though, and you're right, that's huge mental progress! But boyfriend weighs less than me which is... weird. Harumph!

And thank you!

Don't be fooled - I'm still thinking about my weight! :) I am definitely not stressing over it the same way I have in the past though, and you're right, that's huge mental progress! But boyfriend weighs less than me which is... weird. Harumph!

And thank you!

your boyfriend is a marathon/ironman triathlete. 

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday was not so good.... I ate a LOT of chocolate (see previous post). I also had a lot of salty carbs, so I'm super bloated today. Gross. 

russell-eating-chocolate-o.gif

Boyfriend wants me to quit drinking diet soda. Well, I take that back. I joking told boyfriend I have a diet coke addiction (semi-truth) and he sent me 3 studies about how diet soda can affect your health (i.e. increases risk of type 2 diabetes & metabolic syndrome, which are both associated with obesity). So I went out and bought a 32 oz. pop. 

I'm slow with letting go of my vices... give me time! 

Today I need to detox. I feel so icky! Lots of water, some tea or coffee, no soda. Fresh veggies for lunch with some chicken. You know, just light, healthy stuff. And then I need to sweat my ass off tonight at the gym, and drive to Omaha for a bday party (hopefully can leave kinda early), and then busy day tomorrow working out with Wufkar and heading to Des Moines! Busy, busy weekend! 

So yesterday I ate like crap, I didn't workout, and I didn't meditate. I am seriously failing at the meditating thing. I think I'm going to do it in the mornings. So I'm going to sign off right now and do it right now. 

blue_meditation.gif

I wish I had time to go sit in the sauna. Stayed up late last night talking to my college coach (telling him about boyfriend!) and watching Futurama. What a waste of time. Stupid shark week, got me making bad choices left and right. Okay, today is GOOD CHOICE day. Tomorrow will be full of GREAT choices. And Sunday too! 

WOOOOO. 

himym-woo.gif

Um... update.

Here's the skinny - I am super sucking at my meditating. It's not happening. It needs to happen, there's not reason for it to NOT happen. My problems is that I've been spending 4hrs/day on the phone with boyfriend, and that's all good and fine (it's fantastic, actually), but I can still find 5 freaking minutes to meditate.

Food - has actually been pretty good. I feel like I overeat less than I have in the past. I've been a little more loosey goosey with my actual diet though, so I need to work on cleaning that up. Mostly just not eating a "bite" here and there of crap.

Workouts have been awesome. I feel good, I'm getting enough in, and I'm actually doing some strength training (although it's still super minimal). I need to work on my shoulder strength before I can do much more strength, but that's a slow process.

Finances are going pretty well. There are a few things I forgot to plan for, but I'm just making minor adjustments here and there. Budgeting is always a learning process. There are a lot of things I've been wanting to buy lately, but I find myself thinking - no, don't do that, we're trying to wise with money. Plus I really need the extra dough for that bar application... YIKES.

Overall, this challenge is going well, I just need to do better at meditating.

• Like 1

Ooooh! Really excited for the mini this week. My personal goal will be to NOT snooze all week. I'm getting better about getting up and working out in the morning. It helps that boyfriend does that always, and I know we'll have more free time to talk in the evenings if our schedules can be a bit more aligned. I'm good at going to bed early. And I take rest days when I feel like it. So my big thing right now is not snoozing. I need to get my booty out of bed when the alarm goes off. Not snooze, and then bargain with myself about working out at night instead, and how long can I stay in bed and still make it to work on time? I don't really need to shower.... Seriously guys, today I had my alarm set for 5:10am (because 5:00 is too early?!) and I almost just reset the damn thing for 7:30am. The only reason I got up was because I told Wufkar I'd see her at the gym in the morning. Which I did, but it was a really short "hey, what up, of you're with your trainer, peace out!"

Right, so no snoozing....

DkQWJ.gif

Ooooh! Really excited for the mini this week. My personal goal will be to NOT snooze all week. I'm getting better about getting up and working out in the morning. It helps that boyfriend does that always, and I know we'll have more free time to talk in the evenings if our schedules can be a bit more aligned. I'm good at going to bed early. And I take rest days when I feel like it. So my big thing right now is not snoozing. I need to get my booty out of bed when the alarm goes off. Not snooze, and then bargain with myself about working out at night instead, and how long can I stay in bed and still make it to work on time? I don't really need to shower.... Seriously guys, today I had my alarm set for 5:10am (because 5:00 is too early?!) and I almost just reset the damn thing for 7:30am. The only reason I got up was because I told Wufkar I'd see her at the gym in the morning. Which I did, but it was a really short "hey, what up, of you're with your trainer, peace out!"

Right, so no snoozing....

DkQWJ.gif

Haha it was comical.

I'm glad you got up though. If you want to change the Couch 2 5k to AM, I'm all for it.

I definitely want to C25K tomorrow AM, but are you ... doing your weird cardio on Tuesdays?

The pause.. the pause makes that sentence.

no, Alex did not claim this one. It's Long Slow Distance day. Thought I will be up for maintenance tonight so if that goes sideways and I'm up til 3 I'll be sleeping in.

Long Slow Distance day is now LSD Day.

EuOGf.gif

I really hope you don't have to be up until 3am, that would super suck.

Is 5K training long enough for LSD?

this is what you do with your gif powers? you're evil.

In all fairness, he has it on the calendar as LSD. So maybe it's really a rest day.

I'm counting it.

I need more balsamic vinegar in my life. I was pretty over it for a while there, but my mom has been making this amazing dressing that is just to DIE for! And it's from Grain Brain, so I know there is no added sugar or crap in it. Om nom nom. Also, balsamic reduction? Yes please.

Kinda failed at working out this morning. Meant to go to spin and do a circuit, but there was no spin. I confused the Lincoln and Omaha gyms. Great. So, ran instead, and then didn't do the circuit because.... lazy.

So circuit tomorrow, and also yoga in the AM. And then, I don't have much going on this weekend, so I might workout a ton just for funsies. :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines