Question about calorie intake! (BMR/TDEE)

Naaria

So I'm 5'2", 146.4lb as of this morning, 23 years old. I currently have my calories set to 1300 on MFP. I have not been eating back exercise calories. My exercise consists of daily fasted cardio and yoga/snowboarding/very short HIIT. I am also doing intermittent fasting.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ puts me to 1615 calories a day.. Is that what I'm supposed to be eating to lose weight? I've read so many different topics about this but it's just so confusing for some reason! I'm worried because my weight seems to have plateaued since I started working out more regularly but kept my 1300 calorie limit. So.. am I under eating? Is that why my weight hasn't changed?

Thanks in advance!

4Z8bRhP.png

• Like 1

Level 1 Druid

STR 1 // DEX 1 // STA 2 || CON 3 \\ WIS 3 \\ CHA 1

Naaria's Search for Balance v1.5

First Challenge !!

I am going to try to take a stab at this...

The issue with BMR is that we have eaten below it for SOOOOOO long, that our bodies will not let go of the stores of energy(plateau).

BMR is what it is supposed to take if we just laid in bed...but for many of us, our metabolism is junk because of eating below that for so long.....

TDEE - this is what we are supposed to eat to maintain our weight with daily activities....

If you are only eating 1300 - and calculators say that you should be eating 2099 based on YOUR activity levels - you are in starvation mode...and your body will stall - to lose weight, you should either work off the 500 calories(as in, earn 500 extra calories and not eat them), or cut down 500 calories, or both, from the 2099 number.

When I was teaching the Curves' method of nutrition, (Bear with me!)

we did 1200 for one week - shock the body,

then 30 days at the BMR number(which with the Curves 3x week 30 minute exercise would lend itself to some weight loss, though safely).

Then, after 30 days - jump to the TDEE level....and weigh yourself every day.  Once you had gained 3 pounds, drop back to the BMR, and that is your losing weight number(understand that Curves exercise was not spectacular in calorie burn!)

after ONLY 30 days at the BMR - you go back to the TDEE until you have gained 3 pounds.

What this does is train your body to maintain, and recognize that it is going to get fed...

So - week one shock - 1200

30 days BMR

TDEE(or maintenance) until weight goes up 3-5 pounds)

30 days BMR

But here is the clincher...WHAT are you eating?

If your food is not nutrient dense...the calories are not feeding you, and your body will be starving...even at 1500, 1600, 2100 calories!

Your body will hold onto stores(fat) in order to stay alive.

You need to figure out what you need to do to FEED your body, so that it BURNS the fuel you feed it AND the fuel(FAT) you want to get rid of

From my, untrained opinion - it looks like your body is saying it's not going to give up any more!

Another question - as I am 5'2" - and I can see that you are getting close to a possible goal range....

do this: http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Then, what is your fat to lean mass?

Also....read about Staci....and how weight doesn't really calculate into our actual body...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

And, I'm sorry to tell you that 1300 may be the calorie base for us 5'2 people as we get close to our goal.  The only way to add food calories is to add exercise and earn exercise calories.

I hope that helps some....and I hope that others that know more will jump in.

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Good lord, I'm at 31% bf.. 45lbs of fat to 101lb lean mass. I don't know if that's true.. :x At least I hope it's not!

I may attempt the Curves method after the current challenge ends.. however it feels like a lot of extra work. Still just trying to figure out this whole calories thing.

• Like 1

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Wildross' method might be a little complicated.

Starvation mode does not exist. That is a myth, or at least wildly overdiagnosed. It applies to maybe one in a thousand people. I promise you, your current dilemma is totally normal, you're not the one in a thousand.

It's entirely normal for your body to "hold on" to some weight when you first start exercising. Muscles will add glycogen (and therefore water) when you first begin a new regimen, to adapt to the new energy requirements of your activity level. It doesn't affect your body composition at all. However, it will mask your weight loss on the scale for 1-2 months.

If you're tracking accurately, you're losing fat. I'd recommend you grab a measuring tape and start tracking that way as well.

• Like 2

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Thank you PaulG! It's a little nerve wracking to measure myself to be honest.. I'm used to the numbers on the scale but somehow the tape measure freaks me out. :nightmare:

That's totally understandable. But adding a waist measurement to your repertoire has a couple distinct advantages:

The main advantage is that water weight doesn't show on the tape the way it does on the scale. Oftentimes (especially when eating at a steep deficit like you are), you'll see the tape measurement go down even while the scale hangs in place. You're still losing fat, but if you weren't measuring, that fat loss would be invisible and you'd be liable to become discouraged and give up.

I also think measuring is a good test of your relationship with your body. You don't get to judge your body -- you just get to collect numbers, put back on your clothes, and live with yourself. That's really all anyone can ever do. If anyone wants to regain control of their body composition in a mentally healthy way, I really think this kind of ability is necessary.

Not that measuring is a perfect measurement. Just like with the scale, you won't see big results day to day. It takes a couple weeks' worth of weekly measurements to really start to see a pattern. It's a macro measurement, not micro.

• Like 2

Cowardly Assassin

I do disagree about the starvation mode...though I'm sure there is a more current term to it.

The point, which you made Paul, is that you need to eat to fuel your body.

The point with the curves - and yes - very complicated - is to give the body time to acclimate to eating.

There are many metabolism experts that will tell you that the starvation issue is NOT a 1 in 1000 - the current dieting concept of eating below what our body needs has messed up many many people....and yes, the body does hold on to it's storehouses.

Semantics may be different...

Naaria - DO measure yourself...that is a serious need - and Paul is VERY accurate about the need to measure your waist.  This is a great determiner when the scale does not tell you the truth!

On the other hand - I am going to say, I am not a nutritionist, a doctor or anyone that has any medical training...only the training for the Curves diet...and that was almost 10 years ago.

You should be too young to have a metabolism issue..though there is someone on this forum that is young and has a metabolism disorder FROM dieting and over working.

Try the whole 30 elimination diet...see what that does...see what you learn about yourself...work out...and listen to your body...

and, I will yield to the Cowardly Assassin.  ;-)

Adventurer by choice

Thanks ladywildross! I have measured myself and I'm looking forward to watching those numbers go down as well as my weight! Unfortunately, I have had a history of hypothyroidism so, despite my age, my metabolism is a little bit sensitive.

I've never heard of the 30 elimination diet! Care to share? :)

• Like 1

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Google whole30. It is a Paleo elimination .... challenge. I don't want to call it a diet because it's not.

Several with hasimotos have found success by starting here.

The point is to learn what works with YOUR body. ..And then the hard part it just to do it!

With thyroid comes some adrenal issues. .. There are some here that are fighting these as well.

I was dx with hypothyroid, but as I took care of my adrenals, my thyroid has recovered! Three doctors have confirmed it! Now I am combating the sugar Dragon, which is something you will learn about on whole 30. It put me into diabetes, but now my numbers are great. My focus now is my liver and insulin, and all of this ties together! Starting Monday I am starting a 21 Day sugar detox (an e book that I would not recommend. ..whole30 group offers free stuff and thier book is amazing if you want a book. Better information. ) after that, I am doing whole 30 again.

I need a brain transplant that registers the things I already KNOW hurts me from previous whole30 challenges.

So. ...A long answer, I'm on my tablet, and I just figured out links again!

http://whole30.com

http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/

Fwiw:this is my next 21 days. .. Though I'm doing it Paleo. ..

http://the21daysugardetox.com/?hop=paleoparen

Here is the Paleo forum on nf:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/84-paleoprimal

AND there is a lot of calorie and macro stuff watched by many in the guilds. ...I know in warriors the ones wanting to lift stronger, and WUFKAR is someone that has really tweaked the calories and macros and rocks paleo. Send her a message, tell her I sent you.

Adventurer by choice

I was thinking of getting into Paleo. I may attempt that either after this challenge, or when I move out and have more of a say for what I have for my meals. I had to move back home after a breakup and I'm piss broke (though I just started a job, yay me!) since I just got out of school and wasn't working while I was in it.. So needless to say, the fact that I need to buy guides/books for the Whole30 and 21 Day Sugar thing isn't looking that attractive, to be completely honest. I don't think that I could give Whole30 an honest shot with where I am in life right now, either.

I'll give her a shout when I'm ready to start Paleo. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Level 1 Druid

First Challenge !!

Starvation mode does not exist. That is a myth, or at least wildly overdiagnosed. It applies to maybe one in a thousand people.

Yep, the vast majority of people in "starvation mode" just suck at counting their cals correctly, either due to skipping meals/days/snacks, having no concept of sizes, or poorly estimating exercise cals.

Of the others, a good # have either the glycogen issue going on, or are female and don't understand how strongly their cycle affects the scale, both of these issues being a lack of patience more than anything.

Real "starvation mode" is really rare. The body doesn't throttle back metabolism in a significant way unless you are very lean and it actually is preventing against starvation. There are very real signs that is occurring too (uber cold all the time, hair falling out, nasty skin, zero sex drive or ability, extreme lethargy), not just the scale's lack of friendliness.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I do disagree about the starvation mode...though I'm sure there is a more current term to it.

The point, which you made Paul, is that you need to eat to fuel your body.

The point with the curves - and yes - very complicated - is to give the body time to acclimate to eating.

There are many metabolism experts that will tell you that the starvation issue is NOT a 1 in 1000 - the current dieting concept of eating below what our body needs has messed up many many people....and yes, the body does hold on to it's storehouses.

Starvation mode does exist -- in people with eating disorders. A close friend of mine is a nutritionist who specializes in anorexia, especially in teens with other psychological disorders (funnily, orthorexia is common in her patients and she's seen at least a few who became obsessed with Paleo-type purity diets). She has seen patients who have truly throttled their metabolism. They are not overweight people -- they're skin and bones.

Many anorexics start out overweight to some degree. If starvation mode existed in otherwise healthy people, you'd see a lot more anorexics dying while still obese. Obviously this does not happen.

Waldo hit the nail on the head, and brought in a good point about female cycles, water weight can fluctuate quite a bit because of that. It makes the tape measure a better measurement than the scale for many women.

Ultimately, exactly what you're putting into your body does not dictate your fat loss. The calories do. Dial those in, track with a scale and a tape, and don't get discouraged right away.

Cowardly Assassin