Six weeks to strong: Barbie_H's First Challenge

Barbie_H

I'm very happy that I joined just in time for the next Challenge to start! 

My main Quest:

I would like to fit into my pants (again) without the ugly fat spilling over

Goals:

-Run a 10K

-Cut out pop completely (starting from 5 a day)

-Strength train at least 3x per week

Good luck other questers! 

• Like 8

Hobbit-Adventurer

|STR 0| |DEX 0| |STA 0| |CON 0| |WIS 0| |CHA 0|

My First Fitness Challenge!

"Fitness is not about being better than someone else, it's about being better than you used to be."

What sorts of strength training exercises are you planning?

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)

Goals seem good, but what is you plan to make them happen? maybe start with c25k program (or c210k in your case)?, running days? strength training days?, if you make a structured plan, it's a lot easier to get to where you want to be!, and remember that you can't outrun your fork!

• Like 1

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Your goals are very similar to mine.  I am fortunate though I was able to cut out soda shortly after Christmas.  It was hard, but manageable!  I had it in my head I was going to drink a gallon of water a day and I ended up not wanting soda because I was drinking so much water.  That was my method.  Do you have a 10K picked out?  I am also interested in what sort of weight training you are going to do.  I started Starting Strength a few weeks ago and I am loving it!

I don't need to train up to physically be able to do a 10K, I just need to be held accountable to someone and actually do it. My profile pic is actually from my first 10K last year. My need for motivation is the fact that it's so cold outside that I don't want to get out to run. I'm signed up for an official 10K in May (Grand Rapids River Run), but I want to do one before then so I can PR the River Run from last year.

I already eat clean (Paleo) so that's not an issue, except for the pop. That's my one vice. It's been five days, however, since my last pop, so I'm starting off on the right foot. I've only craved it once and I drank a glass of tea and the craving went away.

For strength training, I do mostly deadlifts, but I do a lot of bodyweight exercises, too. I'm working on getting to doing 5 pull-ups without assistance. Right now I can do 1.5 without assistance.

Today's workout consisted of: 3 sets of 5 rep deadlifts (135lb), 35 burpees, 50 push-ups, 50 wall balls, and about 100 squats off the top of my head. I did more, but I didn't write it all down. I'm just starting with weights (I'm used to working out with just bodyweight exercises) but I'm already addicted. I LOVE weights and look forward to going to the gym every day now just to lift. I would push myself a lot more if I had a workout buddy, so all of you here get to be my surrogates!

• Like 3

Hobbit-Adventurer

"Fitness is not about being better than someone else, it's about being better than you used to be."

Great! Seems like you have a plan then! Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

german

monkey scout

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

So to update my challenge:

I started going hardcore in the middle of last week because my weight got one pound below my maximum weight limit for the military. I weighed 137 and my max was 138. Since that day I haven't had a single pop, I cut cream and sugar out of my coffee, and just in making those changes I dropped to 133.4lb yesterday morning.

My stats as of 2/21/14:

Waist: 31" Hips: 40" Bust: 37" Neck: 13" Left arm: 11" Right arm: 11" Left thigh: 22" Left calf: 13" Right thigh: 22" Right calf: 13"

My BMI is at 24.3% (for females I'm at the top of the "healthy weight" range [18.50-24.99])

Hobbit-Adventurer

That's great to hear, Kylie! Every now and again I crave it, but I think it's because it's muscle memory. If I'm out at a restaurant I want a pop. I'm a little worried about how I'm going to be the first time I'm at the movie theater. :P

Hobbit-Adventurer

Update: Yesterday my 135lb deadlift was too much. I strained my groin. Lesson learned, at least! I have a hard time not comparing myself to others in the gym (hence my quote; it's going to be my mantra).

So today's workout will consist of a run (Zombies, Run! app) and three sets of the following: (bolded to make me accountable!)

15 burpees

15 push-ups

15 high knees

15 V-ups

15 jump squats

15 mountain climbers

15 lunges

60 second plank

20 wall balls

Hobbit-Adventurer

Update: Yesterday my 135lb deadlift was too much. I strained my groin. Lesson learned, at least! I have a hard time not comparing myself to others in the gym (hence my quote; it's going to be my mantra).

So today's workout will consist of a run (Zombies, Run! app) and three sets of the following: (bolded to make me accountable!)

15 burpees

15 push-ups

15 high knees

15 V-ups

15 jump squats

15 mountain climbers

15 lunges

60 second plank

20 wall balls

Another who uses "Zombies, Run!"!  I love that app, specially when I'm on the home stretch up hill and get the "zombies approaching."  There is no way I would kick my ass up the hill normally, but dang it I'm not losing all the stuff I picked up!

Awesome Barbie!

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

STR: 7 DEX: 5 STA: 2 CON: 5 WIS: 7 CHA: 6

Battle Log, Challenges: #1, #2, CURRENT

I can only say that I'm half a badass today, Eleven. :( I only did two sets of that workout, but I did run 2 miles. I need to build up my stamina.

Good job - keep pushing!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

So today is supposed to be my rest day. I pulled my groin muscle two days ago and worked out yesterday anyway. The problem is I want to go workout!

Good news, though! Today I grabbed myself a diet pepsi to have with lunch. I ate lunch and drank the water, and the pepsi sat there, unopened. I watched a little TV and the pepsi sat there, unopened. It was right there in front of me and I didn't even want it! I'm on the right path. ^_^

Hobbit-Adventurer

So today is supposed to be my rest day. I pulled my groin muscle two days ago and worked out yesterday anyway. The problem is I want to go workout!

Good news, though! Today I grabbed myself a diet pepsi to have with lunch. I ate lunch and drank the water, and the pepsi sat there, unopened. I watched a little TV and the pepsi sat there, unopened. It was right there in front of me and I didn't even want it! I'm on the right path. ^_^

Awesome!

german

monkey scout

Reading this I have come to the conclusion: Barbie you sound just like me (which by the way we're awesome). I tend to compete with other people in the gym and want to push myself hard!

It sounds like you have awesome goals and are on the right track!

MedicTWO

Level 0 Human Medic

|STR: 0|DEX: 0|STA: 0|CON: 0|WIS: 0|CHA: 0|

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines