Nirvi: [1st] Challenge... accepted!

Nirvi

MAIN QUEST

• Lose 70lbs.

Starting weight (Jan. 15th): 208.6lbs

Current weight (Mar 20th): 195.5lbs

Total Lost: 13.1lbs (18.7% of goal)

I started the paleo/primal  lifestyle on January 15th, @ 208.6lbs.  I was 196.9lbs on February 15th. 

THREE GOALS

1. Work out a minimum 3x/week, an hour each session.
  2. Consume 64oz of water each day.
  3. Do a yoga session at least 2x/week, for mental and emotional clarity.

LIFE QUEST(S)

• Finish graduate school applications by March 1st  9th, and after March 1st 9th spend at least 4 hours a day studying for the MCAT.
  • In the 6 weeks of the quest, put $1000 in my savings.
    • ​Total put away so far: $400 ($600 to go).

MY MOTIVATION

• In the past year and a half I went through a horrible break up while suffering with low self-esteem.  I ended up gaining a good 40lbs over the past year and a half, and watched myself grow from a size 12 to a size 19 [since summer!], and weigh over 200lbs.  Then...

• I met a wonderful guy who introduced me to the paleo/primal lifestyle (he lost over 100lbs on it!) and fitness - we were very good friends over the past year, each helping each other out. Then we decided to date - and at 8mos together now, he has given me back my confidence and so, so much more.  He recently dropped a 'bomb' and said he plans to propose in the summer. Along with his motivation, I am my own motivation to be the very best I can be, for us - physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

• My lifestyle change has also been motivated by my goal to become an Osteopathic physician - I want to understand nutrition (applying for graduate programs in it now) so I can better help my patients live a healthy life.  Unfortunately many doctors are spoon-fed the nutrition pyramid (don't get me started) and only ~30% of medical schools in the US push students to take separate courses in nutrition.  Only 40 medical schools in the entire US required the minimum 25hrs in nutrition as recommended by the National Academy of Sciences!
  • Like 4

Level 3 Wild Elf. Druid at heart, with an Adventurer's soul.

STR4 | DEX2 | STA4 | CON7 | WIS7 | CHA5

Challenges: 1st2nd, 3rd | Current: --

*After a long hiatus, I am back and ready to work on myself!

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans."

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

I think you have great goals--specific, quantifiable & attainable. And I think it's great that you're dedicated to learning about nutrition to benefit your future patients. Looks to me like you have a solid plan in place -- I have no doubt you'll accomplish much in these next 6 weeks. Good luck!

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)

Good luck with your graduate school applications and studying for the MCAT! I definitely share your eventual goal of helping your patients by educating them about nutrition -- I'm studying to be a nurse practitioner and that's definitely one of the things I want to incorporate into my practice after I graduate. It's so frustrating how little many healthcare professionals are taught about it, I'm right there with you. 

I like your goals (I wish I had more time for yoga!) What do you usually do during your workouts?

Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement!  My workouts consist of a mixture of home and gym exercises - at the gym I like to do 20-45min of cardio, usually the treadmill on a high incline (11 or 13 at the highest at certain times, and no lower than 4) so I use my leg muscles more efficiently, or so it seems for me at least.  With the incline I am able to go at a slower pace but still get the cardiovascular exercise I want.  It also helps me stretch out my leg muscles.

My home workouts consist of bodyweight squats, and overhead presses, chest presses, bent-over rows, and deadlifts with my 5ft weightlifting bar.  I need to buy more weights (my bar is 12.5lbs, and I have 10lbs x 2 and 5lbs x 2).

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

CURRENT WEEK UPDATES

• 02/24-03/02 Checklist
    • ​MONDAY: clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ”  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”  
    • TUESDAY:  clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ˜  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”
    • WEDNESDAY:  clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ”  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”
    • THURSDAY:  clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ˜  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”
    • FRIDAY:  clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ˜  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ˜
    • SATURDAY:  clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ”  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”
    • SUNDAY:  clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ˜  yoga?  âœ”  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”
  • 03/03-03/09 Checklist
    • ​MONDAY: clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ˜  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ˜  
    • TUESDAY:  clean eating?  âœ˜  workout?  âœ˜  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”
    • WEDNESDAY:  clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ˜  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”
    • THURSDAY:  clean eating?  âœ”  workout?  âœ”  yoga?  âœ˜  drink 64oz (at least) of water?  âœ”

*I'll update this as I complete days :)

• Like 1

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

Update #1: My supervisor called me up today at 5:30AM (woke me out of a restful sleep, as I had went to bed at 3AM [just a night owl]) and asked me to cover his shift starting at 7AM... so I had a 12-hour shift today, and he put me on the schedule for a 12-hour tomorrow, friday, AND saturday.  Very beat today but I am still going to trek to the gym, and do some light cardio - even walking at my normal pace for 30-45min is better than sitting and doing nothing.

Thank you all for the encouragement!  Doing really well on my water commitment, and sticking to Paleo :)

• Like 2

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

Update #2: The last two days haven't been too great for me; I worked out only once and didn't do any yoga yet... planning on doing some when I get home from the gym tonight, and after work tomorrow.

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

Update #3: The last week has been dreadful for me.  From last Wednesday to this Wednesday I ended up working a 12-hour shift each day.  I've been trying to keep my head above water, but I struggled a little bit this week with drinking as much water as I needed to.  I only did my yoga once last week, and so far this week yesterday was my first trip to the gym.  

I have been eating well though, and I am now 18.7% of my goal - and fitting into the size jeans I fit in last summer which surprised me!  

Tonight is a gym & yoga day, and I'm determined to get my other workout and yoga day in before the end of the week!

The good thing about working so many hours is I should have no problem putting a lot of $$ into my savings, but I also have enough to take a trip down south and see my significant other in the coming week (hopefully)!

• Like 1

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

Update #4: It's been a while since I updated!  I was able to take a well-needed "vacation" and travel to Alabama to see my significant other, which wasn't expected in my original plan to deposit $1000 so I know I won't be able to deposit that much (trip cost $700).  My diet wasn't perfect (it was probably 50/50 paleo/crap) but it's the only real time my boyfriend and I "treat" ourselves.  

We hiked miles and miles of trail nearly every single day I was down there... even when it was lightly raining.  It was wonderful, and I considered it my "meditation."  I definitely feel a lot more rejuvenated and refreshed.

My weight hasn't changed much, but I will say this - the little bit I went "off paleo" affected me - oily skin, bloating... I've been 90/10 Paleo the last three days and feeling a lot better already.  

Graduate school applications are completed, and I deposited $400 into my savings account today! 

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines