Chelkie Becomes Michonne the Zombie Slayer

Chelkie

My third challenge is going to be dedicated to being as badass as Michonne in honor of Walking Dead starting back up again after the holidays.

She may not be a typical ranger, but she embodies the ideals of a ranger all the same. She’s great with a sword, constantly keeping ahead of the zombie swarm she treks across a lot of land, fiercely loyal to her group of survivors, and has a deep dark back story that makes you love her all the more.

Strength Training – 3x A Week

Michonne is strong inside and out. She has the strength to drive a sword through a zombies skull, carry supplies, and has the mental fortitude to stick things out, even when they get difficult.

I made some decent strength gains in my last challenge and I’d like to continue the momentum. I’m shooting for 3x a week but I might reduce this to 2x a week the combination of lifting and running is burning me out.

Starting Lifts:

Squats – 35lbs

Bench Presses - 25lbs 

Bent-Over Rows – 40lb 

Overhead Barbell Presses – 40lb

Deadlifts - 40lbs

Barbell Curls – 40lbs

Back Extensions - Body Weight

Run Mileage Towards Arctic Circle

Running is vital to survival in a zombie apocalypse. If you can’t be mobile and fast, you’re a zombie snack. Michonne doesn’t have to run very often now, but when she does she doesn’t mess around. I’d like to build up my stamina so I can hope to survive like her…also, run the two half marathons I’ve signed up for this year.

Alright to further explain this goal. This is going to be my large overarching goal, and I expect it to take quite a few 6 week challenges to complete. The mission: Run the Distance from Anchorage to the Arctic Circle, which so happens to be 556 miles. I chose this particular journey because it’s something close to home that I could potentially do in real life, and also it really is quite a scenic trip. I went to the Arctic Circle once a few years ago, and it’s cool to be able to say I've crossed it.

I have a map of the entire journey, and plan to calculate my mileage every week and add a new marker to my map as to where I am. I also will post a picture of the surroundings at the place I've stopped each week, which for those of you who don’t know Alaska very well, will be mostly trees. Lots and lots of trees. Occasionally a river. Sometimes a moose.

We did something similar in Elementary school for the Iditarod, where we would move our little husky picture the amount of hours we read each week and whoever made it to Nome first won.  I won of course, book nerds FTW!

Here is my goal map: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/space_monkey287/Progress%20Pics/ArcticCircle.jpg

Also I’m not going to set a specific mileage goal for this challenge because I want to slowly get back into running, and if I set rigid goals I tend to psych myself out. Additionally, treadmills for heavy mileage suck. I'll just leave it as add some miles every week and call it good.

Master a Bridge Kickover – Brownie Points If I Make It to A Back Walkover

I can’t think of anything applicable to Michonne for this one…except perhaps one day she could be in a situation where she needs to maneuver out of a situation, and bam she realizes a back walkover will be just the ticket. Probably not, but hey crazier things have happened on that show. Either way, I was in gymnastics for several years and I really miss it. Working on my splits last challenge made me realize how much fun it can be, and how rewarding it is. The back walkover may not be as showy as the back flip, but its graceful and it’s fun and will be an excellent starting move to remaster. I will set my goal at a bridge kick over, as six weeks is pretty short to master a skill that requires patience and daily flexibility practice. If I can have a video of me doing a full back walkover by the end of the challenge though, I’m going to treat myself in some way. Maybe go to a spa.

Life Goal: Organize Second Bedroom

Being organized and not carrying around a lot of junk is key to surviving in the zombie apocalypse, you need to figure out what will help you live and ditch the rest.

I moved into my new place with my boyfriend almost 3 months ago, and our second bedroom that was supposed to work as our combined activities/office room has become a catch-all for the junk in the house we don’t use. I’d like to clean it all out and reorganize it. Potentially I’d like to buy a desk and some storage containers to make myself a bit of a sewing/crafting area, but if I could just clean it out and organize it that would be enough.

The Explosion of Junk Now: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/space_monkey287/Progress%20Pics/20140223_1633081.jpg

Fitness Side Quest: Continue Side Splits Stretching/Master Side splits

In my second challenge I got moderately close to hitting my full side splits, but I’d like to continue this goal until I can finish it. I'll judge this by if i've stretched a bit every day. Here’s the progress I’ve made so far:

Start: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/space_monkey287/Progress%20Pics/20140107_203117.jpg

End of Last Challenge: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/space_monkey287/Progress%20Pics/20140224_1705061.jpg

0%
0%

Strength Training – 3x A Week

0%
0%

Run Mileage Towards Arctic Circle - Add Some Mileage Every Week

0%
0%

Master a Bridge Kickover – Stretch/Practice Every Day

0%
0%

Organize Second Bedroom

0%
0%

Master the Side Splits - Stretch Every Day

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Good job building on previous challenges.  Getting in the habit of a little practice every day on the gymnastics work will be great.

I deeply sympathize on the effort to clear out the junk room bedroom.  I have a two car garage, in which someday I would love to park two cars.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Loving this whole array of tasks. For one, I want to come bike (as in, motorbike) that route some day. If I show up on your doorstep randomly, I promise I'll only need a day of prep time before I leave, haha.

Also, as should be pretty obvious by now, I'm a fan of fancy movements; the less practical the better. =) Everything looks practical in movie stunts, after all. =D

And yeah... I am presently undecided as to my desire to unclutter. I admire my geographically agile friends a great deal, but I also have some yet unidentified emotional attachment to the accumulation of things as somehow being representative of my adulthood. It's not been explored much, but I can safely say I agree with your motivation. Clean, simple, minimalist living is a sexy thing for everyone.

And, of course, subbed. =)

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

Great challenge. I'm only halfway through season 2 of Walking Dead, so haven't met your inspiration yet.

I'm working on bridge for this challenge. I'm not ready for the walkover, but someday, I'll do...I don't know what it's called...bridge with one leg point up in the air. Will be cool to see how this goes for you. Good luck!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Welcome back for our trek to level 4. I'm still going for the side splits this time, too. I saw your last update picture and you really came down a lot. You'll be super bendy by the time this one is done.

That's the hope, though I stalled out a bit at the end, so I have feeling those last 8 inches are going to be slow going. We can do this though, the side splits may have eluded us the first go round, but not this time!

Loving this whole array of tasks. For one, I want to come bike (as in, motorbike) that route some day. If I show up on your doorstep randomly, I promise I'll only need a day of prep time before I leave, haha.

Also, as should be pretty obvious by now, I'm a fan of fancy movements; the less practical the better. =) Everything looks practical in movie stunts, after all. =D

And yeah... I am presently undecided as to my desire to unclutter. I admire my geographically agile friends a great deal, but I also have some yet unidentified emotional attachment to the accumulation of things as somehow being representative of my adulthood. It's not been explored much, but I can safely say I agree with your motivation. Clean, simple, minimalist living is a sexy thing for everyone.

And, of course, subbed. =)

Haha well I always love visitors, we might even have a spare bedroom by the end of this challenge. :P I would definitely suggest doing it one day, especially on a motorcycle. You should go the long way to Fairbanks though, not the Parks Hwy, which is the route i'm doing for this. The road is windy, with steep drop offs and gorgeous vistas. It's also quite a bit longer, and you have to be especially careful in inclement weather, but if you want views, it's worth it.

I too am torn between minimalist living and having things. Mostly I love keeping things simple because i've moved around about every 8 months for the past 7 years, and having stuff is just a pain. It's nice to not have to use a cardboard box as your footstool or have guests eat on crates and the floor when they come over though. 

Great challenge. I'm only halfway through season 2 of Walking Dead, so haven't met your inspiration yet.

I'm working on bridge for this challenge. I'm not ready for the walkover, but someday, I'll do...I don't know what it's called...bridge with one leg point up in the air. Will be cool to see how this goes for you. Good luck!

Ack, hopefully I didn't spoiler it too much for you! You're in for a treat though, Michonne is impossible not to root for.

Yeah, the walkover is pretty intimidating to me right now, as I haven't done gymnastics in years. I'm hoping its like riding a bike, and my body will remember how to do it even if my mind is screaming "ahhhh your legs are going over your head backwards, this isn't right!"

• Like 1

Haha well I always love visitors, we might even have a spare bedroom by the end of this challenge. :tongue: I would definitely suggest doing it one day, especially on a motorcycle. You should go the long way to Fairbanks though, not the Parks Hwy, which is the route i'm doing for this. The road is windy, with steep drop offs and gorgeous vistas. It's also quite a bit longer, and you have to be especially careful in inclement weather, but if you want views, it's worth it.

I too am torn between minimalist living and having things. Mostly I love keeping things simple because i've moved around about every 8 months for the past 7 years, and having stuff is just a pain. It's nice to not have to use a cardboard box as your footstool or have guests eat on crates and the floor when they come over though. 

Sounds delightful. Hopefully by the time I've got the time and a bike, we'll still be in contact. =D

And yup. Furniture is good, but I've followed your pattern myself until just recently. Every year since 19 has seen me move at least once. 2008-2010 was particularly insane, as that was NC->WI->NJ->WI->NY->WI->IL->WI->IL. Haha. But! Coming up in June here, I'll have been in the same apartment for the last three years. <3

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

That's totally the reason when my wife and I started house shopping, we both thought "this is it- we're staying in this house forever." It's been 13 years now and no plans of moving for a long time.

Of course, now we have acquired a massive pile of junk. :)

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

That's totally the reason when my wife and I started house shopping, we both thought "this is it- we're staying in this house forever." It's been 13 years now and no plans of moving for a long time.

Of course, now we have acquired a massive pile of junk. :)

Haha. All I can think of is Niecy Nash singing, "Who wants a clean house?"

I feel like I should take life lessons from that show, even though my home is hardly cluttered... I feel like I could be doing so much better! Haha.

5'11"/180cm

Hey Everyone! 

I wish I walked to the Arctic Circle, sadly I just got really sick and got sidetracked in a big way. Not only did I have a vicious spring cold that lasted a week, but then it developed into what my doctor called "walking pneumonia" which had me hacking up a lung day and night for another week. Due to this, I haven't made it to the gym in almost 3 weeks. I can pretty much hear all my muscles changing back to fat. So I shall get back to the gym and push it hard for the last half of this challenge, but I fear i'm going to have to redo it next challenge, as there is no way I can catch up.

The only good physical thing I did was this weekend I went ice climbing. It was surprisingly not what I expected, and very little like rock climbing. Had a good bit of fun though, but it's a scary hobby to have. 

Hope everyone else is doing great on their goals though, and i'll be hitting up your threads this week.

Blech! I went through the same thing last challenge, so I know how you feel. Still, 2 weeks off means you still have 4 weeks to be on! Lots of time. And the snow has to go away soon, right?

Rock climbing is scary enough to me. Adding ice into the mix is just plain crazy. It must be why it sounds fun! :)

Get better soon.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines