Paleo Crock Pot Recipes

Daved Lodfa

Anyone know any exceptional Paleo recipes for a crock pot? Specifically, anything involving chicken breasts.

This is my first foray into both crock pots and Paleo!

• Like 1

Daved Lodfa : Half-Elf Novice 0

Str 0 | Dex 0 | Sta 0 | Con 0 | Wis | Cha 0

Challenge 1 : Coming Back to Life
Battle Log

"[Daved Lodfa] was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am going to relate."

So I'm not sure if this is exceptional or not because it's currently cooking and I've never tried it before but Crockpot Turkey Breasts. I substituted chicken breasts for the turkey. When I have it for dinner tonight I'll let you know if it's good or not. :)

I've also made Hawaiian pulled pork before and it was good but needed seasonings, more salt, garlic or something.  

Update : The crockpot chicken breasts were nice and juicy and pulled apart rather nicely. My only complaint is the flavor. I feel like it's very lackluster and I ended up having to add a lot more salt than I like. 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Rotisserie Chicken Recipe

It is really good! The only thing I changed was that instead of using a whole chicken I used chicken breast and at the bottom I used sweet potatoes and carrots. Enjoy :D

• Like 1

Current Stats:

Bench:                265#

Military Press:   210#

Deadlift:             515#

Back Squat:      445#

Front Squat:      350#

Snatch:              225#

Clean:                320#

Clean & Jerk:   285#

"Fear is not evil… It tells you what your weakness is. And once you know your weakness, you can become stronger as well as kinder." - Gildarts.

Perseverance Challenge

You may want to consider using bone-in cuts as they will hold up to the long cooking time better.

This or thighs. Generally speaking, fattier cuts of meat are better in the crockpot. Long and slow cooking tends to make chicken breasts dry. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

So I'm not sure if this is exceptional or not because it's currently cooking and I've never tried it before but Crockpot Turkey Breasts. I substituted chicken breasts for the turkey. When I have it for dinner tonight I'll let you know if it's good or not. :)

I've also made Hawaiian pulled pork before and it was good but needed seasonings, more salt, garlic or something.  

Update : The crockpot chicken breasts were nice and juicy and pulled apart rather nicely. My only complaint is the flavor. I feel like it's very lackluster and I ended up having to add a lot more salt than I like. 

I've seen a couple of recipes for pulled pork, and can't wait to try one! Garlic is also, like, a magic ingredient. I use it when I make quasadillas, and it seems to bring out the flavor of everything else.

Rotisserie Chicken Recipe

It is really good! The only thing I changed was that instead of using a whole chicken I used chicken breast and at the bottom I used sweet potatoes and carrots. Enjoy :D

I've never used a whole chicken before. I'd want to be very sure I enjoyed the recipe before committing to that. :tongue:

You may want to consider using bone-in cuts as they will hold up to the long cooking time better.

That makes sense. I ended up flattening the breasts and rolling them up with turkey inside them. Toothpicks held them together. Almost like chicken cordon bleu. Without the cheese. :(

This or thighs. Generally speaking, fattier cuts of meat are better in the crockpot. Long and slow cooking tends to make chicken breasts dry. 

I was trying to get  my recipe done in about three hours, so I used a high temperature for the breasts. They turned out well, but the veggies I used could have done with more time to get nice and soft.

Daved Lodfa : Half-Elf Novice 0

Str 0 | Dex 0 | Sta 0 | Con 0 | Wis | Cha 0

Challenge 1 : Coming Back to Life
Battle Log

"[Daved Lodfa] was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am going to relate."

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

I made Ropa Vieja with Cuban-style Cauliflower "Rice" on Saturday. Super easy to make and it was awesome. Both my wife and brother-in-law loved it.

Careful with the website though. As I was going through some of the recipes, I thought, "That's not paleo!" I guess it all comes down to how strict you wanna be.

Battle Log |Current Challenge: Better Late Than Never| Previous Challenges: 1 | 

instagram: @gambitbjj | Winner of the Harry Potter PVP Challenge: House Ravenclaw

Chicken breasts are kind of iffy in a crock pot -- crock pots are great for long, slow cooking techniques (braises and stews).  Chicken breasts can dry out easily if you're not careful (although you can brine them for a little thermal protection -- see this video by food Sensei Alton Brown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKr1rByVVCI)

I will say that in general when it comes to crock pots and paleo you can go out and check out any number of slow cooker cookbooks and they'll be pretty useable.  Off the top of my head, I honestly can't think of many slow cooker recipes that call for anything notably anti-paleo.  Culinarily speaking you wouldn't want to put rice or pasta whatever in that kind of environment anyway.  Maybe potatoes for some stews, but that's a pretty easy exchange or the occasional lasagna, but you wouldn't be eating that NOT in a crock pot if you're eating paleo.

For my money, you can never go wrong with America's Test Kitchen.  They have nerdily taken every single recipe and experimented the hell out of it until the found what works and know WHY it works: 

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Cooker-Revolution-Kitchen-Cookers-ebook/dp/B004W3VLPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396633086&sr=8-1&keywords=slow+cooker+revolution

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Cooker-Revolution-Easy-Prep-ebook/dp/B00F2JWXZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397055871&sr=8-2&keywords=slow+cooker+revolution

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Level 1 Half-Elf. Assassin at heart, training with the Monks
STR 2|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Student of the Illustrious Art of the Pages, Master of the Sacred School of the Celluloid Lash.

My favorite crock pot recipe - very complex - one whole chicken - 3/4 cup marinade (I use herb and garlic) smeared over chicken, with rest poured over top. Sprinkle with season salt and garlic powder. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Eat. Takes 5 min to prepare if I'm slow that day.

• Like 1

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

There's a ton of recipes you can do! I work long hours so I use my crockpot quite a bit. I make pulled pork, Kahlua pork, shredded chicken fajita style, carnitas, pot roast, tri tip, loaded sweet potatos, oxtail stew, lengua, cabeza, birria for tacos. I just skip the tortillas lol.

My 2nd Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37327-laqueen-reporting-for-duty/

My 1st Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34724-laqueen-sized-to-fun-sized/

"Welcome! We salute your courage and your sacrifice and we wish you Happy Hunger Games!"

Don't cook any chicken in a crock pot for longer than 6 hours or it will end up with a texture like canned tuna, dry and mushy. 

My favorite crock pot recipe is to take a pork roast, sprinkle generously with salt and gratuitously with cracked black pepper, place in the crock pot, then sprinkle with about a tablespoon of juniper berries, the leaves of a couple sprigs fresh thyme, and a couple bay leaves. No added liquid. Cook on low for 8 hours and shred. It tastes just like chipotle's carnitas. Serve on lettuce with guac and salsa, in tacos, whatever, it's delicious.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Courtesy of Power Athlete HQ:

Pork Shoulder roast (5 or so lbs)

6-8 hours in the crockpot, serves 1.

lol, I just made almost 8 lbs of pork shoulder for pulled pork and you better believe that serves one. I'd stab people for taking some of my deliciousness. :D

• Like 1

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

My favourite crockpot recipes are balsamic braised short ribs and jerk porkbelly. I like to serve as is with a side of veggies and use as leftovers on oopsie bread. None of these recipes are exclusively mine(I have made modifications to them to make them more low carb paleo.) but I can write them out if you're interested. Oopsie bread is not paleo due to the use of soft/cream cheese but if you don't have an issue with milk its a great way to eat sandwiches with real food