CourtneyC's 1st Challenge

courtneyc

So I've never done anything like this before...I would consider myself a closet nerd. I don't game, but I do read a lot of fantasy and science fiction and am a sucker for characters that fit the assassin/thief bill.

I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy (my daughter is now almost 4), and while I do want to lose the weight, being smaller just for the sake of being smaller hasn't been sufficiently motivating for me. I'd much rather focus on strength, agility, and seeing what sorts of crazy and fun things I am capable of. 

Main Quest: Become strong and agile 

Missions:

1. By the end of 6 weeks I will be able to do a real push up

2. I will do beginner bodyweight exercises at least 3 times a week

3. I will make protein, vegetables, fruit, and healthy fats the main components of every meal I eat for the next 6 weeks.

I'm excited to approach getting healthy from a more fun perspective! 

• Like 1

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Hi Courtney! I've been working on my push-ups, too. I can barely even do a full, properly formed modified (aka "girl," ugh) push-up right now. I don't know how far you are on the progression, but recently I read a website that suggests starting with something called "counter push ups." You stand in front of your kitchen counter and use the edge to push off from, making sure you're wearing non-slip shoes. I've been doing 5 sets of 20 of those each day, and I feel like it's helped me. Good luck!

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)

mmdills22 - I am a big fan of counter push ups! For Christmas I bought my husband a body weight exercise book called "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren, because it seemed like something he would be into. Well it turned out I ended up liking the author's approach a lot too! He is really great about showing tons of modifications for whatever level you're at and how you can keep pushing yourself as you progress.

• Like 1

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Thanks for the info, I just might check it out :)

Gilgamelissa

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

Ooooh - doing push ups is such a good feeling! I can only do a few, but they make me so proud! Practicing by holding plank position will also help strengthen your core so you can keep proper form. I'd never heard of counter push-ups - what I great idea to strengthen your arms!

|| pattycake118 establishes routine || fitbit || MFP ||

|| Level 3|| STR 3 || DEX 1 || STA 2 || CON 6 || WIS 3 || CHA 2 ||

So far so good for week 1! I've completed 2/3 of my workouts for the week and worked a lot more vegetables and fruit into my meals which is a big achievement for me.  :peaceful: I haven't grocery shopped since starting the challenge, and I'm definitely looking forward to filling my fridge with some easy meal and snack options that will support my goals. Any suggestions?

For my workouts I'm using a bodyweight exercise app from Mark Lauren. There's a 10 week program in there that will work me towards my push up mission. The first exercise set consisted of ladders for counter push-ups, let me ins, seated dips, and a modified pull-up. Got through it all except the pull ups, because I couldn't find a two surfaces that were high and safe enough for me to place my pull up bar across. In the future I'll just go to my apartment's gym to find a safe modified pull up option. 

• Like 2

- Stephen King

The weekend was definitely a struggle for me. I made better choices than I normally would, but my meals weren't as vegetable focused as they were during the week.

I have a history of struggling with weekends when I'm working on making healthy changes. Without the structure of the week it becomes much easier for me to let things slide. And if I can be whinny for just a moment, it is really unhelpful for my husband to quite literally wake me up asking, "what kind of bagel do you want me to get you?" when he knows I'm working hard to make changes. That bagel felt like a brick in my stomach.

Okay whinny moment over. Before next weekend arrives I need to come up with some better ways to cope with the lack of structure.

- Stephen King

I know what you mean about weekends… I've tried refusing all unhealthy foods when I'm spending time with my wife. Bad idea. It just creates weirdness all over. Maybe you should lower the bar for weekends and be more strict on weekdays. It doesn't mean go crazy for 48 hours but just eat 'normal' food in moderation and avoid at least a few desserts. I'm finding that works for me so far. Good luck for the week!

• Like 1

Newenham                              Level 1

STR 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | DEX 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

So far so good today! I've made good eating decisions. It is amazing how much better I feel and function when I stay away from the food I naturally seek out for comfort/stress. Stress has unfortunately been a huge part of my life lately, and it is easy for me to be short sighted and think, "things are rough so I deserve a little treat." The motive to take care of myself is a good one but the method ends up doing more bad than good.

I've been looking into climbing which sounds like a lot of fun. I'm a little nervous that I'm too weak and heavy to climb right now, although I've read reputable sources online saying overweight people can actually climb. My apartment has a small gym with a rotating climbing wall in it. I'm challenging myself today to give the climbing wall a try. If I'm actually able to get up it I want to sign up for a beginner's class at an indoor climbing gym nearby. Wish me luck!

- Stephen King

I did it!!! I climbed the wall at my gym.  :joyous:  It was challenging and a serious workout but so much fun! 

I did one 2.5 minute climb and then a second 2 minute climb after a rest period. I read about beginners (especially overweight ones) being prone to tendon injury so I was cautious with my time on the wall. I went on to do some simple bodyweight exercises once I felt recovered from my climbs.

On the personal achievement front I came home from my climb to find out I got accepted to a summer research position in a nonlinear dynamics physics lab! So double victory for me today! :joyous:

• Like 1

- Stephen King

Awesome! Congratulations on getting up that wall, and on your research position! So exciting :)

Gilgamelissa

Those are awesome goals! Especially with a kid, it's great to be that kind of healthy role model. I know my son is a big part of why I'm putting in the extra effort to be active.

I just spent the last year teaching pre and postnatal fitness classes for new moms, so I know it can be hard to find the time, but your daughter will have doing some of these workouts with you! See how many push ups she can do, kids are so strong!

Thanks everyone!

Since I got up the wall it looks like I'll sign up for that intro to climbing class over my spring break. In the spring my school opens up their giant outdoor climbing wall and even runs combination climbing/yoga classes. So there are lots of good options nearby.

- Stephen King

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines