Why are you a Veggie/Vegan?

MedicTWO

I've been a strict vegan for almost 11 years now. My initial reasons were for animal rights, but shortly thereafter expanded to include health, the environment, etc.

Fundamental respect for all life, and all living things. I cannot grasp the idea of eating something that I couldn't harvest myself, and I know for a fact that I cannot take the life of another being.

Oh, and the environmental ramifications of the meat and dairy industry keep me going, too! There are a ton of reasons to be Vegan, but those are my biggest!

^^^ And this.  :panda:

• Like 3

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Hi all! I'm pretty new to being vegetarian. That said, my reasons are both selfish and moral...

Selfish in that I figured it good to switch to some more structured diet to further my weight loss and health goals. I figured it would be easier to stick with a plan if I had a personal moral imperative to do so rather than a mere preference. I had considered going vegetarian for a while, especially as I learned more about factory farming and started to have trouble with supporting the industry. Even if there practices were ok though, I would strongly prefer that animals with highly developed nervous systems not die to serve my hunger, since there are healthy alternatives. I'ld technically be fine with fish, but I hate fish (well, I like looking at fish...).

But yeah, I found it rather pleasant that I didn't have to convince myself to "go vegetarian" at all, but simply stop convincing myself not to. As a pleasant surprise, I feel noticeably better physically after the switch. I notice a lot less sluggishness after meals. While I don't like supporting the egg or milk industries either, I'm focusing on one thing at a time. I'ld be fine with using he milk or unfertilized eggs otherwise, but...not how they do it.

• Like 4

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hi all! I'm pretty new to being vegetarian. That said, my reasons are both selfish and moral...

Selfish in that I figured it good to switch to some more structured diet to further my weight loss and health goals. I figured it would be easier to stick with a plan if I had a personal moral imperative to do so rather than a mere preference. I had considered going vegetarian for a while, especially as I learned more about factory farming and started to have trouble with supporting the industry. Even if there practices were ok though, I would strongly prefer that animals with highly developed nervous systems not die to serve my hunger, since there are healthy alternatives. I'ld technically be fine with fish, but I hate fish (well, I like looking at fish...).

But yeah, I found it rather pleasant that I didn't have to convince myself to "go vegetarian" at all, but simply stop convincing myself not to. As a pleasant surprise, I feel noticeably better physically after the switch. I notice a lot less sluggishness after meals. While I don't like supporting the egg or milk industries either, I'm focusing on one thing at a time. I'ld be fine with using he milk or unfertilized eggs otherwise, but...not how they do it.

Congrats on the switch! If you need recipes, I always find that Vegweb is pretty good. Their recipes are vegan, which can be good if you're not so big on eating eggs and dairy either, but personally if I see a recipe there that calls for vegan cheese, I'm more likely to use regular cheese... it does give lots of ideas though. :)

• Like 2

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: Current, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

This thread is so fun!  It's really interesting to see the overlap in reasons, but even more so the variety of reasons that bring folks to vegetarian or vegan eating/lifestyle.

I'm still pretty new to being vegan; I've got just over 3 years under my belt.  Like Ilcawthorne said above, I think that my decision had more to do with letting go of the excuses I made for continuing to eat meat and dairy.  Over the years I cut back, wouldn't cook meat at home, wouldn't eat anything I "couldn't take in a fight," would try vegetarian or vegan versions of things...just for fun, but ultimately it was the "big picture" environmental impact of the meat and dairy industries that did me in.  I figured if I had decided to live without a car for environmental reasons, and the meat industry dwarfs transportation in terms of greenhouse gas emission, then I needed to reevaluate my food choices.  That's the short version, anyway. 

After vegging it up for a few months, I had really embraced the health and animal rights aspects of a vegan lifestyle.  I'm won-over 100% now, and I find myself equally motivated by the health and ethics of a vegan lifestyle.

• Like 4

Ranger,  Level 3, 2014-09-152014-07-282014-06-09

A Lacto-vegetarian, by choice but have no issues with those who choose otherwise (non- vegetarian). I can only do what I think is right and cannot dictate the terms to others. I simply hope that people would find better alternates to a non-vegetarian diet that could tempt people to change their ways.

But in the larger scheme of things, I believe a lot of issues need to be dealt with priority numero uno before coming to what others may or may not eat. Veg/ Non-veg debate is only for the entitled who don't lack sufficient means of livelihood and can take out time to think about these things.
Not that having a discussion is a waste of time, but we can collectively mend a lot of suffering by aiming our energy in the right direction.I really wish to see a world where the Veggie/Vegan n Non-veg lifestyle debate (that we can see nowadays) is the biggest humanitarian and environmental issue.

• Like 2

I'm vegan for health and ethical reasons. I honestly feel so much better being HCLF vegan than eating meat, dairy and eggs. I often felt greasy and groggy after eating meat, and was already lactose intolerant so it was really easy to get rid of the dairy. I also think making millions off an industry that advocates murder, rape and violence is terrible for both our environment and the animals affected. I honestly didn't want to feel accountable for the widespread suffering of other humans, animals or the environment anymore.

I also can't cook meat so eliminating that food group makes home meals a lot less stressful to plan :P

• Like 1

I actually didn't go vegetarian/vegan on purpose. That being said, I'm a HUGE junk-foodie  and over-eater so my health is not that great as a result.

It started off with being grossed out by dairy products. I have never eaten cheese, because it grosses me out SO much.

I grew up drinking a glass of milk each meal, and then one day (likely due to my migraine issues) the milk smelled absolutely disgusting. After that, I never drank milk again because the memory of the smell would make me nauseous, even if it was something yummy like chocolate milk.

I didn't have red meat until I was 15. Naturally, I had a very violent reaction and avoided it ever since.

As for any other meat, even if it was something I had always liked, they slowly began tasting and smelling bad to me. This was during a period where I had meningitus and an extremely long migraine, so I imagine that's why.

Don't get me wrong, I can still be around meat and stuff, but I can't eat it without getting grossed out! It's not just animal products either, but that's how I ended up transitioning :)

As for animals, my dogs are all on a raw (meat) diet. I have no issues handling raw meat, organs, feet, etc for them.

• Like 1

So my story is a bit different, but thought some might find it interesting. So I first got interested in it by reading about it in books. One New Years resolution was to eat vegan for a month, just for kicks. I tried it out and was surprised how much I didn't miss meat. I missed the condiments that I would eat with my meat meals, but the meat itself wasn't that big of a deal. Didn't really eat healthy but did eat vegan.

I went back to eating meat and animal by-products for a couple of years, but would periodically try to get back into eating vegan. The more I read and thought about it the more it made sense. I believe in the Bible and the historicity of the flood. In Genesis man was given the plants to eat, but a mist watered the ground day by day. The first rain we see does not happen until the flood. Then after the flood, God gives man the animals to eat. It makes sense to me that this would be an alternative that would be used when a drought came due to the changing patterns of rain. But that's not originally what God intended. He intended for us to eat plants as our main source of food. If I am blessed enough to live in a place with an abundance of healthy food, why would I eat the secondary? Not the typical point of view I know. :) But that knowledge really helped strengthen my conviction and separate it from other diet claims.

That combined with having to work inside different (meat and non-meat) processing plants (I work on phone systems for a living so I get to see interesting places sometimes), really pushed me to go towards unprocessed as much as possible. Not only is the process cruel, but the industrialization of the whole process is just brutal and lacks sanitation. I was at one place that was working on meat sauces and I can't get that sights and smells out of my head. I spent the whole day gagging while trying to get their phones up.

I have finally had a successful run at the Eat to LIve diet and have just made it through the detox phase. Cheese is the one thing I really miss (and reading more about it's addictive properties makes me realize why and that I should let it control me), but even those cravings have lessened by quite a bit. Hoping to see some improvement in energy and athletic performance soon too.

• Like 1

I've been vegetarian for 23 years and now vegan for 6 months.

I was vegetarian initially because I believed that, if I didn't NEED to kill to eat, I shouldn't do it simply for pleasure. Over time I became more interested in the environmental and ecological impact of the meat industry and its implications for global warming. I believe that diet can make a big difference to your overall footprint on the planet.  

I went vegan this year because I found it increasingly hard to ignore the inter-relationship between the dairy and meat industries, and the early deaths of "layer" hens and male chicks. I thought it would be much harder than it is - in fact I'm happier and the diet change has really not been a huge deal for me. There have been some tough spots (travelling around Japan, where EVERYTHING contains fish unless you eat delicious vegan temple cuisine... not such a hardship after all!) but, as I cook pretty much all my own food from scratch, it hasn't been a big deal at all.

Weirdly, health is a very very small part of why I'm vegan, but everyone instantly assumes that it's the main reason - and assumes I eat nothing but salad! I do feel healthier, but that could be because I've cut out so much junk-type food unless I make it myself or plan to get some vegan alternatives. I also realise how much cheese I ate as a vegetarian... and definitely feel better for giving it up.

• Like 1

My vegetarianism kind of happened in two stages .The first was when I was a fairly young teen and was having serious issues with depression, and was eventually hospitalized for suicidal tendencies. After surviving the experience, I decided that being that close to death and feeling like I knew what looking in the face of death felt like, I didn't want anything to die for my sake. Ever.

After I became a much happier and healthier me several years later, I did some research on vegetarianism and found the enormous environmental impact meat farming has - water contamination, massive energy use, etc. Not to mention what horrible lives the animals live in those places. So I switched my reason to helping the environment and being compassionate. Been vegetarian for about 7 years now. Definitely was hard for my family to accept as they raised me as a meat eater and all of them are meat eaters. It's still a bit strange for them when I come home, I think. All of them still eat meat so family meals are a bit awkward when I go out and microwave a quick veggie burger while everyone else is eating my mom's pork chops lol

• Like 2

Liveforwonder's Quest Log

1 2

Walking to Mordor - Hobbiton to Rivendell: 97.1 miles out of 458

Hi there, fellow veggies and vegans! So I'm vegetarian and have been my whole life; I was raised that way by my parents and when given the choice once I was old enough to understand, didn't see a reason to try meat - I mean, I never had, why change now? I've never questioned it hugely despite growing into adulthood and continuing on. I've never tried meat to this day but I've never really craved it or felt the need to; cant miss something you've never had! Haha :P 

• Like 2

Stella   ::   Sprightly Elf   ::   Level 1

Me!      ::    Battle log       ::   Challenge

1 hour ago, Stellakin said:

Hi there, fellow veggies and vegans! So I'm vegetarian and have been my whole life; I was raised that way by my parents and when given the choice once I was old enough to understand, didn't see a reason to try meat - I mean, I never had, why change now? I've never questioned it hugely despite growing into adulthood and continuing on. I've never tried meat to this day but I've never really craved it or felt the need to; cant miss something you've never had! Haha :P 

Gah that is awesome! I wish I'd been raised vegan! So cool that your parents gave you a choice once you were old enough too. Sounds like you have some keepers there ;) 

• Like 1

Hello!

I've been vegetarian for 11 years now, while I was still in high-school. I wanted to become a vegetarian since I was a kid but my mum wouldn't let me until I turned 16, as she thought at that age I was old enough to choose. It was a piece of cake for me because I really never liked meat that much and I always hated fish, although my mum tried to trick me the first months by slipping some chopped meat into her meals and trying to convince me that it wasn't. Mums...

Anyway, my reasons when I was a kid were I loved animals and I couldn't imagine why we needed to kill them to eat; for me it was as disgusting as eating a pet, and I still struggle to understand how people doesn't see there's no difference. Now I added environmental reasons and that, actually, after being so long without eating meat I don't like the taste/texture and it feels disgusting -yeah, I had a few bites of meat since then, for different reasons-.

My partner is not a veggie, but when we eat at home we eat strictly vegetarian, mainly because I am the one who cooks 90% of the time but because it's easier than making 2 different meals and because she really doesn't care much. Although I respect meat eaters, I am secretly proud that she doesn't like pork, beef  or lamb anymore, she only eats chicken or fish once in a while when we have take away or some jamón, lomo and such when we go to Spain. This makes me think about the animal activists and the approaches they have sometimes on non-veg people. I think having a nice, slow and supporting approach is more effective on "converting" people than being aggressive and blaming. Don't you think?

• Like 2

Level 2 Human Rebel | 151 XP

My current challenge

Old challenges: 1

My Epic Quest

I've been vegetarian since I was 11. One day, I just told my parents, "I don't want to eat meat anymore." They accepted it, and it has been that way ever since. Back then, I don't think I really had any concrete reasons beside "I love animals." Now that I'm older, I'm know about all the horrific things that can go on in the meat industry, and the impact it has on the environment, and I feel like I could better argue my case if I had to. lol At the root of all that, my reasoning still sort of is, "I just really love animals" though. ^-^;

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Arkham Origins

I'm just celebrating 4 years vegetarian m'self. =) In 2013 I decided to do a veggie trial-run I called Meat-Free March to see if it was something I could possibly do, given that I both love animals and revere life in all its forms, and also really, really loved the taste of meat. >__> Of course, I had forgotten that February's a short month and had already eaten something with meat in it when I realized March had begun, so I put that aside, decided to start my month of vegetarianism on March 2nd, and never ate meat again. It was just that easy. =D On April 2nd I decided to see if I could do a 2-month stretch, in May I figured I'd make it a season-long thing, and by June I was calling myself a vegetarian.

For me, it's entirely ethical~ I know that my occasional splurges with cheese and ice cream have got to stop some time, but I try to eat fewer animal products overall. All the same, I'm a long way from being vegan. (Some day I'll make that leap! After I've worked through getting my veggie diet a little more healthy and making sure I get enough protein to run a human body on) Mostly, I just love living a life that conforms, at least somewhat, to my ethics and my beliefs. When I ate meat, I enjoyed the taste a lot, but I also felt like a hypocrite. I work with animals, I adore them, I bond with them. To also eat them felt weird and awkward. I'm happier with where my life is now, and to be honest, the parts of eating meat that I still even distantly miss are all the really gross, fatty, and unhealthy parts. Replacing those with veggie alternatives isn't hard at all and leaves me feeling waaaaay better.

(My partner isn't veggie, either, though he's hugely supportive of me, and when we eat something home-cooked it's always something we can both enjoy. Agreed that you can't make vegetarian/vegan vs non-vegetarian into a war- people should do what feels right to them, and the less judgmental you can be, the less people will tune you out when you talk about your own beliefs and the reasons behind 'em.)

• Like 1

I'm in for the ethical reasons, basically. There's a lot more to it, and I don't personally see the point of eating a fine steak for example, because the fineness would be lost in me. I don't enjoy eating meat, and I won't feel great after. However, when for example when travelling and having to pick either meat dish or baked sweet white flour things, I'll have the meat (well, at least if it's the same diet for, like, weeks...). I've been eating lacto-ovo-pescoish since teen, now lately going more and more towards veganism. As I have slightly complicated relationship with eating and try not to get obsessed with too extreme regimes on any area of life, I tend to change slowly. Lately it's been a thrill, as there's more and more great vegan products available in where I live. Simple AND good, is how I like it!

• Like 1

My girlfiend's vegetarian

This isn't a real factor in why im a vegetarian, but my girlfriend who lives with me is also a vegetarian. She however, did make the choice to be one, having been raised in a super-meat-loving household in a small town in Wisconsin and enjoying meat until she entered college. I'll let her tell her story she wants. Regardless, the fact that they're both vegetarians makes it a lot easier for us to live together and enjoy our dinner and dates. Honestly, I think i might've been a big deal if she wasn't

I also want to clarify that my decision to be vegetarian is a deeply personal choice, just as one's decision not to be one is.

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't think that personal, individual abstention from meat makes that much of a difference in things. However, by making the choice day in and day out to avoid eating animals it helps me to remember and focus on the real abuses that I see in industrial farming (not just of non-human animals, but humans working in farms and processing plants, as well as agricultural workers - for me, animal welfare and labor rights go hand in hand, as does concern for the environment). It's basically that idea that my making a conscious and continuous decision to not eat meat, it helps me to reflect on my overall values and how/whether I'm living up to them.

Also, frankly, I don't really know how to cook or prepare meat well so... I kind of think I've missed the boat on it at this point!!

• Like 2

I'm eating vegan because of a surprise diagnosis of high cholesterol, and my doctor recommended a WFPB as the fastest way to handle that shit.

Have been surprised that I don't miss meat like I thought I would.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:30 AM, DyDy said:

Good for you Evicious! I'm also planning on going more the WFPB route. Have you read "How not to die" yet? It is on my reading list.

Not yet. But I've been watching a lot of Earthling Ed and Joey Carbstrong on YouTube lately....

Initially, I was just looking for good recipes, but a cooking video finished and cycled onto one from Ed's channel where he was talking to someone in a street activism event.

Man.

Every reason I could think of to eat meat came out of that person's mouth - and every answer Ed had, well... it makes sense.

There's 1% of me that is holding onto the idea of eating meat occasionally. There's no logic to it: I think I just don't want to deal with the social implications I know go along with not eating meat. But the more I research all the benefits (health and environmental), and the more I ask myself the hard questions (is it really ok to kill something just because I "can" and "want" to?) the more I realize that the "inconvenience" of not eating meat is simply... unjustifiable.

So yeah. I guess... I may be vegan for more than just the health of it now.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!