What to do with chicken fat?

Every week I batch bake 6-8 lb of chicken breasts for lunch and dinner. I end up with about a solo cup full of chicken fat, and usually just throw it out. Anyone know any good uses for it? Doesn't need to even be in recipes, though that would be great. I was thinking maybe tossing is it the garden to add nutrients to the soil?

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I know duck fat is great to use as a cooking oil type of substance, not sure if chicken fat could be used the same way...

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

It seems like this could maybe be used as a base for a chicken broth. add some water, heat it up and see how it goes?

• Like 2

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0
--------------------------------------------------

Don't really do broth/soup. Takes too long for too little sustenance. That was my first idea too.

It doesn't really thicken like bacon fat, so i don't know how good it would be as a cooking fat/oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Firstly, oil and water don't mix, so don't expect to get a delicious broth-like concoction if you try ColoQ's idea (makes for a pretty inedible soup actually....). Secondly, it doesn't look like the entire cup is fat, and I wouldn't expect it to be. You probably have mostly pan-drippings/juices, which are delicious watered down and used as stock. Put the cup in the fridge overnight- the real fat will solidify as a hockey puck of sorts on top and you can easily separate it from the juices. Like any (edible) fat, you can cook in it, but it is really high in Omega 6 fats (like 20%). Most of us are already getting too many Omega 6 fats in relation to Omega 3 consumption, so be cautious. Too much Omega 6 is linked to increased blood pressure, blood clots, and inflammation. My dog is a big fan of getting chicken or bacon fat poured over his food on occasion, so maybe that's an acceptable use.

Yes, gravy.

Boil chicken fats. Dissolve corn starch in cold water, stirring with a fork (2-3 T per .25 c). Put dissolved corn starch in boiling chicken fat. Stir. Let cool. Gravy.

Maybe a good side to bring if you ever use boneless skinless breasts, because it would supplement back in some of the fat.

Or feed it to the dog.

Chicken fat!  Liquid gold.  

First off, the above posters are right - that's mostly dripping and liquid (which are good in their own right to make a sauce with), but if you DID get the solid fat out of it the next day, you'd have what's known as schmaltz in the Yiddish (or shmalz in the German).  Used heavily in Kuegels in particular.

The best use for it for a clean, healthy eater, I think, is to sautee greens with.  Put yourself a dollop of chicken fat in a nice big pan, heat it up, add some sliced or chopped garlic depending on how much you like garlic.  Add some chopped greens (kale, chard, mustard greens).  Sprinkle on salt and sautee until the greens are wilted.  Suddenly greens will be something you can't stop eating because they taste of chicken.

Level 1 Half-Elf. Assassin at heart, training with the Monks
STR 2|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Student of the Illustrious Art of the Pages, Master of the Sacred School of the Celluloid Lash.

Once you've got the fat out, put the drippings in ice cube trays and freeze them, then store them in a plastic bag.  Each cube is about six tablespoons.  Toss them in when you're sauteeing vegetables for a little extra moisture and flavor. 

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson