Scorpio's Battle Log

So this isn't really a daily battle log, but it's good to check in :)

I've been doing Practical Programming and Ease into 10k for 3 weeks now. I'm up to:

• Squat: 55 kg
  • Deadlift: 50 kg
  • Bench: 42.5 kg
  • OHP: 32.5 kg
  • Chin ups: 2 (negatives for the rest of the set)
  • Pull ups: 0 (negatives for the whole set)
  • Distance: 4.65 km

The weights, squats especially, are starting to get challenging. I'm 180 cm and weigh 82 kg with a BF of around 19% (apparently) so maybe I'm just starting to push myself. Running hasn't been difficult at all, I know it's not recommended to do both at once but so far I'm doing ok.

Prior to this I was doing circuit training at the gym as instructed by a PT, this was good to get in the habit of exercising every day but I found the lack of structure and progression plans to be demotivating, not to mention the mental boredom in going to the gym every day. Now I'm alternating going to the gym with running outside which I find a lot more mentally beneficial.

I'm focusing on eating as many natural foods as possible but not full paleo. Typical day looks like this:

• Breakfast: cut up mango and pineapple, coffee w/ soy milk
  • Mid-morning: another coffee w/ soy milk
  • Lunch: mixed salad, chicken/turkey breast slices, slice of cheese and carrot sticks
  • Dinner: steamed asparagus, broccolini and sweet potato with either beef, chicken or salmon
  • Drinks: mainly coffee and mineral water. I'm avoiding alcohol as much as possible.

Latest:

• Squat: 62.5 kg
  • Deadlift: 52.5 kg
  • Bench: 45 kg
  • OHP: 32.5 kg
  • Chin ups: 2 (negatives for the rest of the set)
  • Pull ups: 1 (negatives for the whole set)
  • Distance: 4.65 km

Haven't noticed a change in my weight, but I feel trimmer and clothes are starting to fit more. The runs have been purely slow runs so I don't think this will interfere with strength training too much.

Not a good couple of weeks unfortunately. Got up to this:

• Squat: 72.5 kg
  • Deadlift: 57.5 kg
  • Bench: 50 kg
  • OHP: 37.5 kg
  • Chin ups: 3 (negatives for the rest of the set)
  • Pull ups: 2 (negatives for the whole set)

The next workout I couldn't complete the sets and my form went to hell, and then got a viral infection so was off for a week. Having trouble getting back in to routine and also finding that my form has been pretty average. Thinking of knocking down the weight a bit and focusing on my form for a while.

When it rains, it pours. 

Knocked down the weight by about 10kg on each exercise and did each much slower, about 2-3 seconds down and up. Felt that my form was much better and I felt much more confident. 

Then my back started hurting later in the day. Not injury, just a general DOMS. This lasted a few days where I was walking around like an old man for a while. Sigh.

Feeling better this week so gotta get back on to it.