Looking Battered and Bruised

Stonie

Okay, I thought I'd get a Nerd's opinion on this before I get all panicky and rush myself off to the doctor.

I've always bruised quite easily but I think it's getting worse. I currently have 22 bruises on my arms and legs and they always seem to take a few weeks to heal up. I was wondering what possible causes (sans me being clumsy and walking into everything) that could be keeping these bruises around for so long. Do they normally take weeks to heal and go away? I don't remember walking into so many things, and I'm starting to feel quite self conscious about flashing my legs (which I'm getting quite proud of) because I look like I've fallen down a flight of stairs. It's very rare that I don't have a collection on my legs. 

I eat mostly meat and vegetables, try to stay away from processed food and sugar, but I do have a tendency to copious amounts of caffeine. I also started taking Iron supplements a few weeks ago because that's what people keep asking me about being deficient in whenever they see my legs. 

Here's some photos. 

hfBDE0z.jpgWhCBCHm.jpg

u6hNhmC.jpg9k0SYw9.jpg

Any suggestions would be of immense help.

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Hi there!

I'm not a Doc, but I have pretty much the same problem. There's always a collection of bruises on my legs and my arms, and I usually have no idea how I got most of them. As with you, they take weeks until they are gone again. Although I don't believe I have ever counted them... :D

Until now I had simply assumed that this is how I am. My blood vessels are quite close to the surface, so there's not much buffer between them and my clumsiness, poor things.

I wouldn't know if there is a nutritional supplement that works pro or con this thing, but I have also never gone to a doc with this.

I'll sub to this thread, maybe a fellow nerd out there has some helpful insights...

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

I assumed the same thing; but I have a few friends that think it's weird, and I'm starting to think it might be something off. Maybe not, maybe it's just because I've got soft skin and not a lot of fat on my legs any more. But they take an awful long time to go away. 

Stonie

They/Them

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Now I made the mistake to ask google... :D

It seems that one factor can be a low count of thrombocytes (blood plates), but that is usually accompanied by other symptoms, such as slow healing wounds or also bleeding gums and whatnot.

(Since my blood work last fall was A-ok and I don't have any of the other symptoms, I think this is not the problem in my case.)

Another pretty common factor can be weak connective tissue (which I most definitely have). The connective tissue also gets even weaker with age, so the bruises will appear more often / more easily the older you get. Oh, joy!

If you are worried because it seems to get worse, or if you have any other blood clotting related symptoms, I think you'd better take this to a doc and have it checked out.

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Hey Tea! There's probably no need to panic if you have been feeling fine, but I think it doesn't hurt to get yourself checked out. A simple blood test can help rule out / screen for common and serious problems.

Most probably the results will come back normal, but if a consultation with your family doctor is accessible and affordable I would definitely go for a checkup, just for peace of mind.

• Like 2

*Level 3 Hobbit Adventurer*

Moomin 3 - Heart of an Adventurer

2 - Maintenance therapy 1- Keep charging ahead

"Life is akin to sailing against the current - forge ahead or be washed downstream" -- Ancient Chinese proverb

It seems that one factor can be a low count of thrombocytes (blood plates), but that is usually accompanied by other symptoms, such as slow healing wounds or also bleeding gums and whatnot.

(Since my blood work last fall was A-ok and I don't have any of the other symptoms, I think this is not the problem in my case.)

Another pretty common factor can be weak connective tissue (which I most definitely have). The connective tissue also gets even weaker with age, so the bruises will appear more often / more easily the older you get. Oh, joy!

If you are worried because it seems to get worse, or if you have any other blood clotting related symptoms, I think you'd better take this to a doc and have it checked out.

Umm yeah it could be due to a multitude of causes. You should pay attention to any weight loss, night fevers, feelings of fatigue, shortness of breath, prolonged / excessive menses, nose bleeds, gum bleeding and the like.

You should get yourself checked -- it's better than taking iron tablets without getting checked. Iron supplements commonly causes constipation and turns poo black (eeek), so it's not ideal to take them when there is no indication.

• Like 1

"Life is akin to sailing against the current - forge ahead or be washed downstream" -- Ancient Chinese proverb

I'm subbing this thread too. I am constantly covered in bruises, just like you guys, with no idea where most of them come from.

Someone suggested Arnica tablets to me. Any of you tried them? I know the cream is meant to be great, but never tried taking it as a preventative...

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Yeah google freaked me out with all it's drama, so I ignored it's shenanigans. xD I don't get any other symptoms of anything which is the only reason I haven't completely panicked.

Umm yeah it could be due to a multitude of causes. You should pay attention to any weight loss, night fevers, feelings of fatigue, shortness of breath, prolonged / excessive menses, nose bleeds, gum bleeding and the like.

You should get yourself checked -- it's better than taking iron tablets without getting checked. Iron supplements commonly causes constipation and turns poo black (eeek), so it's not ideal to take them when there is no indication.

None of those sound familiar, Except maybe the weight loss and fatigue. Mind you, diet and exercise and not eating enough AND relying on caffeine too much will do that to you. I've put weight on and off again throughout the last two months (since joining NF no less) But going to the doc is a plan in the near future so I'll make sure to ask. 

I'm subbing this thread too. I am constantly covered in bruises, just like you guys, with no idea where most of them come from.

Someone suggested Arnica tablets to me. Any of you tried them? I know the cream is meant to be great, but never tried taking it as a preventative...

Never heard of them, what are they for apart from bruising? 

Thanks for your help guys, stopping me getting all anxious about shit-all. :D

Stonie

They/Them

None of those sound familiar, Except maybe the weight loss and fatigue.

Those are really non specific but when a doctor asks this, it usually means unexplained / unproportional-to-effort weight loss / fatigue. No worries!
  • Like 1

I've always gotten plentiful mysterious bruises.  I finally learned that I get a lot of mystery bruises from biking, but it's been this way since I was a kid and didn't know how to bike.  Then I did Krav Maga where there was "pain conditioning", which gave me a lot of bruises which I knew the origins of.  And now I do fencing and I am a giant mass of bruises every day, especially in strange and often highly visible places.  I get strange comments at work, and my spouse likes to poke them.  Somehow the neck/clavicles don't bruise easily no matter how much I get smashed there.

My comment is, I don't think I've ever had serious problems from being an easy bruiser.  Just the other day I was wondering if there's something I should be eating to recover from almost daily bruising.  I do wonder if I am less attractive to people, but I don't think it's important enough to stop what I'm doing.  Though, it may be fun and rewarding for both you and I to get better body awareness.  I learned that I've long been very tuned-out of what my body tells me, and I'm trying to pay more attention now.

Hostile intent is imminent. You prepare for battle.

Maybe mention it to your doc next time you're in, but if you don't have other symptoms I might not worry overmuch. In addition to the other types of symptoms people have already mentioned, pay attention to the location of the bruises. Bruises on places with thin skin that get bumped around a lot is one thing (think shins, arms, knees, etc.)... if you start seeing bruises on your stomach and chest, for instance, that may be a different story. 

I've always been an easy bruiser, but now I've got some additional medical complications that make the problem even worse. I tend to play "Hey, how'd I get that bruise?" in the shower every night. I get strangers asking me what happened because my thighs are purple splotched and I'm like "Oh, I was foam rolling last night." One thing I noticed is that my bruising is always much, much more apparent in the winter (particularly towards the end, like now), when I'm at my palest. Once I start to get a little color, it's not nearly as obvious. 

I've always gotten plentiful mysterious bruises.  I finally learned that I get a lot of mystery bruises from biking, but it's been this way since I was a kid and didn't know how to bike.  Then I did Krav Maga where there was "pain conditioning", which gave me a lot of bruises which I knew the origins of.  And now I do fencing and I am a giant mass of bruises every day, especially in strange and often highly visible places.  I get strange comments at work, and my spouse likes to poke them.  Somehow the neck/clavicles don't bruise easily no matter how much I get smashed there.

My comment is, I don't think I've ever had serious problems from being an easy bruiser.  Just the other day I was wondering if there's something I should be eating to recover from almost daily bruising.  I do wonder if I am less attractive to people, but I don't think it's important enough to stop what I'm doing.  Though, it may be fun and rewarding for both you and I to get better body awareness.  I learned that I've long been very tuned-out of what my body tells me, and I'm trying to pay more attention now.

I did think the other day that it may be from my recent renewal in cycling; most of them are on the front and backs of my legs where the pedals hit me whenever I get off and fail to get back on again bahahah. It got pointed out yesterday while I was riding with a friend. 

I was also wondering about possible dietary treatments that could help but I've not looked into it. The internets keep telling me it's something serious and freaking me out so I haven't delved too deeply. I'm also trying to learn how to be more aware of my body; which partially spurred on my interest in why I bruise so easily for so long. I feel like I've been living under a rock and the only way to get out is to ask questions about everything I guess :P

Or maybe I actually am just really clumsy. xD

Maybe mention it to your doc next time you're in, but if you don't have other symptoms I might not worry overmuch. In addition to the other types of symptoms people have already mentioned, pay attention to the location of the bruises. Bruises on places with thin skin that get bumped around a lot is one thing (think shins, arms, knees, etc.)... if you start seeing bruises on your stomach and chest, for instance, that may be a different story. 

I've always been an easy bruiser, but now I've got some additional medical complications that make the problem even worse. I tend to play "Hey, how'd I get that bruise?" in the shower every night. I get strangers asking me what happened because my thighs are purple splotched and I'm like "Oh, I was foam rolling last night." One thing I noticed is that my bruising is always much, much more apparent in the winter (particularly towards the end, like now), when I'm at my palest. Once I start to get a little color, it's not nearly as obvious. 

Hahaha, I play that game too. Mostly when someone points one out to me and I didn't know it was there. I only remember where they came from if I remember whacking myself on something, so most of them are mysteries. They are all on my limbs and hip bones at the least; I must have terrible self-awareness of what my all limbs are doing at any one time. I haven't tried foam rolling yet, maybe I won't if you went purple; I'm sure I'd probably do the same thing! It is definitely something I'll add to the list of things I need to ask the doc when I finally get up the courage to go. 

Stonie

They/Them

Never ask Google anything.  Dr. Google always says it's cancer.  Cancer of the bruising.  And you're probably dying.  Thanks Dr. Google.  You're a dick.

I always have tons of bruises too and often I don't know where they come from, but I know I bump into things way more than I should.  I'll be walking to the kitchen and whack my hip on the table, and I won't really make note of it until later when I'm like "WHAT DID I DO?!"  I think my clumsiness has just become part of my day-to-day I don't even think about it. ;P

Bruises take FOREVER to heal on me too... I did ask a doc about it once and she said everybody heals at different speeds, so for me, that's probably just normal.  Annoying, but nothing really to do about it.  I have tried topically applying witch hazel but not really noticed anything.  It's supposed to be most effective when you do it shortly after injury, and, well, derp de derr, I don't notice until there's a big splotchy bruise, so.  I've heard of arnica gel as a topical too but never taking it as a preventative... that's interesting.

The real fun started when I started teaching my dog tricks like rebounding off my legs, took him to the lake to swim and had him pushing off me in the lake, et cetera.  Then went to the gyno who saw my legs and thought we needed to have a serious talk about domestic abuse.  No no, it's okay, it's just my dog abusing me.  Because I asked him to.  It's totally fine.  Completely normal...

• Like 4

Never ask Google anything.  Dr. Google always says it's cancer.  Cancer of the bruising.  And you're probably dying.  Thanks Dr. Google.  You're a dick.

I always have tons of bruises too and often I don't know where they come from, but I know I bump into things way more than I should.  I'll be walking to the kitchen and whack my hip on the table, and I won't really make note of it until later when I'm like "WHAT DID I DO?!"  I think my clumsiness has just become part of my day-to-day I don't even think about it. ;P

Yes! I do this too! mostly a few days after and someone points it out. I'm like, "wha, where, bruise? Oh that. Wait what?!" I'm just so used to bumping into and around things. :P I'm glad your doc wasn't to worried, but I might ask mine anyway just to make sure. And so I don't have to believe google. That troll. 

Stonie

They/Them