Help! CrossFit and Kids

(Please move this thread if this is the wrong forum.)

So I got a CrossFit membership and I rave about it so much my husband wants one, too. The issue with that is we have a 17 month old boy, who is not old enough to stay home by himself, and not old enough to keep himself occupied in the box while we workout.

Who else has young kids and crossfits? How do you do it? We're both only available to go after he gets picked up from daycare, so daycare keeping an eye on him is out. Do you just not see your kids?

Any help is great!

Hobbit-Adventurer

|STR 0| |DEX 0| |STA 0| |CON 0| |WIS 0| |CHA 0|

My First Fitness Challenge!

"Fitness is not about being better than someone else, it's about being better than you used to be."

My old CF gym had a little playpen area for the younger kids, but nobody was exactly watching over them.  My current doesn't have any such set up.  It all depends on what your gym offers for setup.  If it's not immediately apparent that such a thing is available, it probably isn't.

Maybe taking back-to-back classes would work, one of you with your son while the other trains, then trading?  Probably no ideal solution to this, sorry!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

The back to back solution probably works best, but you might also consider asking someone to babysit?

Perhaps an older teenager or trusted family friend, anything like that? It'd be for a very short period and you'd be helping some kid earn a few extra bucks!

"The smarter you get, the more you realize anything is possible." - Georges St-Pierre.

I Lurk No Moar!

Lord Foxington Smellybottom's training log! - Drop by and tell me what you think!

A lot of parents at my box use the back-to-back scenario. One will go to the first class, while the other one keeps the munchkin(s) and brings them to the box towards the end of the class. They get to cheer on one parent for the last few reps, then that parent takes the kiddo home while the other parent takes the next class. It's not perfect, especially because you don't actually get to work out with your S.O., but it works. 

Babysitters get expensive quickly, but there are probably some creative solutions. Ask around at your box, starting with the coaches, to see how other parents do it. There may be someone who has a great sitter that they'd be willing to share with you, or another mom that you can trade off watching both kids with, someone who has a teenager that could come to the gym and keep the toddler occupied and out of the way for an hour (while you're close-by), etc.

• Like 1

Vintage, you are a genius. I'm going to ask the coaches and see what they think. They might just have someone in the same predicament. I'd be willing to stay there for two hours and watch their kids if they watch mine, or find a teen willing to play with him. Thanks!!

Hobbit-Adventurer

|STR 0| |DEX 0| |STA 0| |CON 0| |WIS 0| |CHA 0|

My First Fitness Challenge!

"Fitness is not about being better than someone else, it's about being better than you used to be."