Mini Quest 3: Be Brave

Hiraedd

I have a base guitar that I bought in 2004, it's not in the box, but I haven't learned to play it yet.  I have a violin that I keep saying I need to get new strings for, and it sit next to the base guitar unopened. have wanted to play violin for ages, finally got a used one, on my first lesson I ahd a bad string, replaced, practiced for 15 minutes, the next one went.  haven't been able to go back and get new strings yet.

When I was elementary/middle/high school age, I used to play guitar, and for a young kid, I was good.

I like playing guitar, but middle/high school age, it's more for bragging than anything else.

As I grew up, I was into nerdy things and tennis more than music.

Now, I feel a little tag from guitar I have, but as I dig deep my soul, I don't have urge to play any particular music.

I have a few kinds of music I like to listen to, but I don't have any drive to make music. I have no love playing music right now.

OTOH, I love and must play tennis.

Because I used to play guitar, now, unless I have a strong drive, I kinda don't want to pick it up for the sake of just practicing.

When I hear a good song, I sometimes want to play, and I practice.

After a while, I don't know why I play music. When I play, I feel like I do it not because I love it, but I feel like it's for show off.

I think if you love playing music and want to share it, you are a musician.

I'm not. I'm a tennis player.

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Way to go, guys!!  I am so proud of how many of you allowed yourselves to step outside your comfort zones and try something new.  Award yourself your shiny +1 STR!  (Or save it and add it at the end of the challenge, your choice).  Adventurers are so BRAVE!  I love it!!!

• Like 3

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

This was such a great idea for a mini quest.

Even with a mini quest over, we should still remember to keep trying new things!

• Like 3

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Ahhhhh!

I went to the Gym! Scary! Free weights! Scary! Weight machines! Scary! "You don't want to hang out with the boy do you? *laughs"! Scary!

So the trainers still remembered me after around two years of absence. That was nice. And I explained that I wanted to do free weights, had done bodyweight squats at home and wanted to try squats with the bar.

Done.

Three sets of twelve with a 10kg (or 22lb) bar. I still trend towards to the right when pushing back up and need to work a bit on tucking my butt in, but she said my form was better than most people who start off with the bar. So to counter some of the problem with my form we ended up doing some walking lunges (knee-to-floor) - 3x12.

What I didn't like about trying squats-with-the-bar: that comment she made. Frankly if she'd said "We want to stand here in front of the mirrors so you can see you form and work on correcting any problems you have," straight off I would have felt a little more comfortable because that had me worried about how the session would go.

What I found odd about the squats: there was a woman next to me doing bicep curls with a 15kg bar and she had one of those weightlifter's belts on.

Then we moved onto the machines because . . . machines. Also it was pretty damn busy down there and there were lots of guys in the free weights section being friendly 'curlbros'. But with a bit less curling and more actual lifting. But it was Arm/Chest Day down there for most of them. I felt all on my lonesome with my Legs/Chest/Whole Body Day. :P

And a little perturbed because for the forty-five minutes I was down there only the Belt Girl and myself did any squats. Though admittedly about a third of the curlbros went off to Kettlebells as soon as it started and that's very squat heavy. I'm told.

Anyway:

3x12@14kg Seated Rows

3x12@30kg Lat Pull Down

3x12@15kg Abdominals (too light - also I can't remember if the weight is right)

3x12@45kg Seated Chest Press (I think)

Problems with the machines:

My arms are actually a little too short to comfortably reach the handles on the seated row machine even on the shortest setting.

I also can't remember if I did four or five machines and if the weights are all correct.

Trainer:

Very nice lady

Also doing a bodyweight squat challenge. Is currently up to fifty-five a day, moving onto sixty later tonight. May have neglected to mentioned that I can do sixty squats a day every other day, so I moved onto eighteen single leg squats every other day.

Invited me to her kettlebell/kettlecise class.

+1 STR to me!

Fear/worries defeated.

• Like 4

Reboot complete.

Level 0 Hobbit

Intro ¦

]"When all treasures are tried . . . truth is the fairest." - Langland

I've been trying and trying my chinups and I get so close, within a few inches and my body just stops! URGH!!! What can I do to get past this last little hump? Is there another exercise that will strengthen me for the range of motion at the end? I'm not giving up on this. 

• Like 2

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Challenge: current

Blog about fitness and randomness but mostly food...

I've been trying and trying my chinups and I get so close, within a few inches and my body just stops! URGH!!! What can I do to get past this last little hump? Is there another exercise that will strengthen me for the range of motion at the end? I'm not giving up on this. 

I just saw this so I'm going to brush off my pants (imaginary dust that always seems to accumulate in the movies when someone fails) and ramp up for this again :) 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Challenge: current

Blog about fitness and randomness but mostly food...

Ok I used to be able to do the splits without a single bit of effort.   That ship has sailed, but I keep working on it.  I am having trouble with the right split because the pressure on my still healing knee cap is too much to press against, but I'm sooooo close.  I'll keep working on it.

My left split is better, but not great. Still needs plenty of work.

• Like 3

After reading this challenge, it may seems small; but I've never done, or attempted a close handed push-up.  The one where you form a diamond with your thumb and pointer and proceed to do a push-up. 

Well, not that I couldn't do a regular push-up, but the form always intimidated me strangely enough. Figured I'd give them a try last night, surprised I was able to do a set of 10, even if it may have killed me, albeit only a temporary death.

Feeling so good about myself, I wondered just how well I could do a one handed push-up! I mean, if I can do something new? Why not something I've never thought I could pull off!

I'll just say I'll stick to close handed push-ups for a good bit yet... :)

I've since logged this as an exercise I'm going to keep doing; triceps do be burnin!

-Purple_Panda

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines