WHY IS NOTHING CHANGING?!

Barfly... what do you mean, how do I feel? Very annoyed that I haven't hit my target tbh :/

Maybe I have hit a plateau... I have been doing an ab workout on FitStar, but it's one of those that mainly engages your core but does work the rest of your body. It burns 110 calories in 10 mins so I do that at least once a day and it's connected to MFP which is very helpful :)

One thing I'm stuck on... This will probably sound very dumb to a lot of you... 

My BMR is 1300 cals a day, so if I'm eating that, then do the ab workout which burns 110 calories then that means I get to eat an extra 110 calories? But if I'm working out and burning calories then eating those calories again how am I losing weight?

I meant goals and numbers aside, how does your body feel? Do you feel stronger? Do you feel a sense of accomplishment for having worked so hard for so long? For sticking to something that most people would have never even attempted?

I know how you feel; it's very hard for me to lose, too. I have to focus on the positives to keep motivated, but, you know what? It works :)

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

I want to add that I plateaued at 125 for 8 weeks. It was frustrating to know I was putting in the work and seemingly making no headway, but the body is a living organism. It needs time to adjust to the changes we create in its regular functioning. Respect your body. Let it stabilize. Keep on making it healthy in the mean time as Barfly suggested "Make it feel good", keep it well nourished and keep building its muscles strong.

When I run I feel tired but I feel like I can still carry on going, the rest of the day I'm shattered... but then again I'm a student and spend faaaarrrr too much time being busy and going out. :) I would feel happier if something was changing.  I went into town to get a tape measure... not a single one in the entire city! Absolute joke! My mum is coming up to visit on Sunday for Mother's Day so I will ask her to bring one of the ones from home up :) 

Does anyone else feel no hunger at all after running?! No matter how far/fast etc I run I just don't feel hungry AT ALL after runs. Most of the time I will eat otherwise I will have a very small amount of calories for the day but today I've eaten enough so it's not so bad. I'm always thirst after a run but never hungry.

Oh god. Please for the love of God, don't tell me I'm going to be stuck at 132 for the next 2 months going no where! I would probably give up. 

Never give up! The 2 months are going to go by whether you're stuck or not. What's giving up going to do?

I'm never hungry either, but I have a protein shake to recover and to keep from getting too hungry later.

Too much time going out, huh? How much sleep are you getting? That might be holding your progress back.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

I don't think it's sleep... My 'early lectures' are 10am...

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday are my busiest nights and Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are my busiest days... Wednesdays are VERY tiring...

I do spend a lot of time reading for my course and a lot of time at the hive and that's a 20 minute walk there and then 3 flights of stairs just to get to the History section...

I just want the fat gone! Every time I sit down it squashes up and is icky...

I weighed myself this morning and it said I'm 127.8!! Does it make a massive difference between weighing yourself in the evening and weighing yourself in the morning? 'Cause I've always weighed myself after my lectures. If this right and not a fluke one off then I've got 2 weeks to lose 2.8lbs to hit my goal! Which makes me very happy :)

Thankfully, my mum is coming to visit on Sunday so I can get a tape measure off her and measure myself weekly, I think it's the stomach bloating that it making all of this so annoying. It's only after I eat that it become humongous and gets me down... 

Congratulations!! And yes it makes a HUGE difference. I personally weigh myself in the morning, before I've had/done ANYTHING (water, breakfast, exercise). Your weight can fluctuate by as much as 10lb on the extreme side between morning and night! Usually for me it's anywhere between 1-5lbs.

What does your diet consist of? I know when I eat rice and pasta I bloat like no tomorrow..

Level 1 Druid

STR 1 // DEX 1 // STA 2 || CON 3 \\ WIS 3 \\ CHA 1

Naaria's Search for Balance v1.5

First Challenge !!

Okay so I worked out my '5k' online and it said that I'm actually doing 4.5k but my MapMyRun app says its 5! I'm really annoyed now :/ but if I can do 4.5k in 25 mins I should be able to push myself a little bit to be able to do a 5k in 25 mins. 

The main thing is, I was doing the NHS C25K program until the App. stopped working on my phone so I am technically on week 7 day 1. Is it okay for me to now start running whenever I want to? When I started the app said I HAD to take a day in between each run so that my muscles could recover but now would it be okay for me to run a few consecutive days, take a day (maybe two) off and run again so that I am running about 5 times per week?

I think you can benefit from some weight training.  Losing weight and burning fat is one thing but if you do not have the lean body mass under that layer of fat, you'll still have that fatty appearance.  There are so many factors that come into play.  If you're not seeing any more results through exercise and diet you have to change your routine.  The body adapts when it gets used to the same routine over and over.  Like Einstein said "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Incorporating weight/resistance training can help you increase your calorie expenditure as well as lean body mass which will help you look more toned and defined.  You'll also be able to take in more calories and not starve yourself. 

"What is comfort compared to the life I wanted? I wanted a future without debt, no one telling me what to do, being able to travel whenever I wanted, and most of all, I wanted to control my own destiny. When you are young, you have time to fail and make mistakes. When life shows you two paths, take the one that you’ll regret the least. One day I’ll be old and see myself in the mirror – I want to wonder what if?"

+ My website: http://www.lb-lifestyle.com

- My Journal of my thoughts/blogs/workouts/progress: htttp://www.lb-lifestyle.com/fitness/journal

Ok.  So I read through this whole thread, and some things stick out to me.

First, I think you need to stop and smell the roses.  It seems like you are getting so overloaded and obsessed with losing your belly fat, you probably stressing yourself out.  At least, that's the image I get reading through your posts.  Stress is proven to retain fat.  I think you need to do one of two things.  Either find a way to be happy with who you are, or find a method of getting where you want to go, or better yet, BOTH!  Enjoy the runs as something that lets you get out and escape or as a way to try and better yourself.  Personally, I find weight training to be a gigantic stress relief.  It's so nice to just sit in a gym by myself, maybe some tunes, and move some iron.  Obviously, not for everyone, but it's the main reason I keep going back.  I LOVE DOING IT! 

Also, that method isn't a straight line.  Steve's article he just recently posted fits spectacularly here.  Even knowing what you like, you'll still need to change things up.  Getting the body of a Greek god isn't something that will be done in 2 months, let alone 2 years!  It takes years upon years for most people of trying various things, taking what works, throwing out what doesn't and pressing forward again.  Sometimes, things will be an utter failure.  Other times, you'll see tremendous strides in a short time.  Diet, as most of said, is super important for physique.  Sounds like you are doing quite well there if you truly are sticking to 1300 calories a day with a solid amount of Protein.  Just stick with it for 2 months and see where you are.  If you don't see any changes, try bumping it up to 1600 calories with different ratios of protein, fat, and carbs (maybe higher protein, lower carbs).  The key is to just stick with things though.  And don't be so upset when something doesn't change in 2 weeks, especially when it's the scale that hasn't changed.  Scales can be so deceiving.  If something hasn't changed in 2 weeks, give it another 2 weeks.  If nothing after a month, ok, evaluate how you things went, and change things up.  I might even say go with a 2-month trial over a 1-month. 

Also, everyone's body reacts differently.  My body personally loves holding the fat right on my stomach.  It's the last thing to go.  I've been doing some cutting recently and my shoulders and legs are starting to look much more defined, but my belly is still just as pronounced as ever, maybe even more so because of the changes in other parts of my body.  That's why it's important do measurements and/or photos like others have stated. 

To me, it seems like you have the motivation to get where you are going, but just stop getting frustrated.  It doesn't help anything.  Be patient, evaluate how things are going, and change when needed.  Doing the same exercise routine over and over again isn't going to get you where you want to go, as I think has already been proven by your results. 

I was thinking that when I go home for Easter I'm going to do the tough mudder training plan:

http://toughmudder.co.uk/training/bootcamp 

There's no point in my starting it before then because I'm going on holiday for a week on Saturday :)

If I did this, along with increasing my run distance and keeping with healthy foods I should look toned sooner right? 

Tough Mudder has some great pointers and some great little routines that will get you stronger and more in shape if you do them.  But why does a holiday stop you from starting that training?  Not trying to imply I'm some sort of hardass that never misses a workout, but if you really want something, then a vacation shouldn't stop you from getting in a few workout sessions.  90% of those TM exercises are body weight training that can be done anywhere. 

Anyway, feel like I'm rambling at this point.  I'm not trying to be harsh so if it comes across that way, I apologize.  Just trying to give my opinion.  Best of luck. 

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for that. I'm not starting until after my holiday because it's not actually a proper holiday. about 200 students from my uni are going on tour so we will be playing sports and getting drunk... so it'll motivate me and give me something to look forward to doing after I get back! :) 

So very much everything Rooks just said.  I'll add my thoughts on long journeys in general - if you focus on the destination, getting there will take twice as long.  This applies to everything from runs, to traveling, to school, to life.  There forums are filled with a wealth of knowledge about fitness and nutrition, and people are more than happy to help you find a plan that's likely to work.  But once you have the plan, you have to trust it.  Eat what you trust is the right diet.  Do the workout you trust is the right workout.  Give it time - maybe try a six-week challenge.  Take stock again, make a new plan, and repeat.

The Tough Mudder workout is probably fine.  I'm a believer that there's no "one true workout."  You may or may not become toned (whatever that means) after doing it, but you'll undoubtedly be stronger and fitter, and those are good things, which you can use in fitness and life, regardless of your belly fat status.

Well, it turns out that the belly thing could be a mild allergy that I didn't know I had. Yeah, I am well aware I have NO patience... Which really doesn't help... I think I might give up on the weight thing and just focus on building up my distance and times for running and maybe be able to actually do a pull up and a proper push up...

• Like 2

Hmmm, maybe. Dairy and grains are really bad for bloating. Google anti-inflammatory foods.

Sure. Endurance and strength training are great! You'll need to fuel yourself properly to do either, so that will help, too.

BTW, lots of calories in alcohol. Just sayin'...

Ah, youth :P

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

Okay, so I think I am panicking a bit over my fitness when I shouldn't be... I took up running again in January and then in February I got the flu, really badly, so I stopped and had to take it up again (starting over). I checked my C25K app and it said that I did week 3 day 1 (early ones were WAY to easy so I started on week 3) on 3/3/14. So if we work on that basis I have been running for a month and am running 4.5km in 25 mins is that good? Or should I be up to 5k by now? Getting a bit confused on whats good now and what isn't...

• Like 1