Xanjra: 2014 Progress Log

About me:

I am female.  A little over 29 years old.  I live in England, with my fiancé, our lovely 12yo daughter and three idiot cats.

I love gaming (particularly pc games, particularly RPGs).  I love anything apocalypse.  I love the ideology of 'paying it forward'.  I love knitting and crochet, now that I no longer love cigarettes.  I love music that oozes passion, especially rock.  I love reading.

My fitness inspirations are:  

• Gina Carano,
  • Michonne (from The Walking Dead),
  • future me kicking ass in the apocalypse,
  • Vasquez (from Aliens),
  • future me looking hawt in a bikini,
  • Gina Carano (so awesome she has to go in twice),
  • Olivia Dunham from Fringe (especially Faux-livia!).

I guess it's mostly the (physical and mental) ability to kick ass in any challenge that comes along.

Fitness history:

post-27604-0-40191000-1394547310_thumb.p

I have never been fit even when I have been slim, and I have never been at ease with my body.  As you can see from my graph, my weight has gone up and down so many times, but when I weighed myself this Christmas I was at an all time high of thirteen and a half stone, 189 lbs.

Well I am done with it.  I have been dieting on and off my entire adult life, and the only time I have had consistent success is the one time that I put in consistent effort!

With that in mind, I am going to own 2014.

The Present - 2014

I will lose 70 lbs.
I will learn to run and love it!
I will always strive to make improvements to my physical fitness.

I will meet my life goals without compromising my fitness goals.

The story so far...

So, this year I started with a goal of sticking around 1200 calories daily and learning to journal all the details.  I have done well.  Apart from three cheat meals (all close family members birthdays) I have kept to the plan.  I weigh myself once a week and also take a body fat measurement from the scales (I know it is not 100% accurate but that is okay).  I am finally becoming okay with my effort not always being reflected in the scales, I know that if I am consistent I WILL lose weight! 

I am slowly adding in little habits; taking multi-vitamins, drinking enough water, allocating time to pamper myself by painting my nails, shaping my eyebrows and other little lady niceties.   These are being journalled too.

I am trying to slowly redecorate our new house.  Without letting it mess up my fitness goals.  It is going so slowly.

At the start of March I found this website!  The main thing I have been lacking is accountability for my exercise.  Here is the solution.  Last week I wouldn't have ever imagined telling a load of strangers how much I weigh (or how many times I have failed at losing it in the past!), but everyone has been so kind and supportive in the forums, and the ethos of the whole website is very enabling.

Go team!

M x

post-27604-0-40191000-1394547310_thumb.p

• Like 4

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

I have started my first Nerd Fitness Challenge.

I am a rebel!

I will chart my weekly progress in that thread, but I will be logging my specific details here.

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

I would like to use this 'Battle Log' to motivate myself to stick to my exercise plans.

Currently I am working on:

• Running
  • Swimming
  • Strength

Running

Starting Level  - I can't run at all!  Not one step.  It's a psychological hurdle as well as a physical one.

Goal  - To run 2.4km in 12 mins.

- To run a 5km event.

Swimming

Starting Level - I can swim, but my form is terrible as is my stamina.

Goal - To swim a mile in 30 mins.

Strength

Working on functional strength.

I will use Convict Conditioning to track my progress.

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Running

Starting Level     - Walk 2.4km @6km/hr.  Use 'The Walk' app to make it become a rewarding habit.
                           - Train for 5km distances.  Use 'C25K'.
                           - Use 'Zombie, Run'.
                           - Consider getting a dog as a running partner as a reward / encouragement, ONLY IF running becomes a long term habit.
Goal                   - To run 2.4km in 12 mins.
                           - To complete local 10km event in September.

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Swimming

Starting Level     - Slow and steady - no particular stroke.

- Swim constantly for 30 mins.

- Establish 'a stroke'!

- Increase speed.

Goal                   - To swim a mile in 30 mins.

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Strength

Convict Conditioning - The Big Six

The Push Up

The Squat

The Pull Up

The Leg Raise

The Bridge

The Handstand Push Up

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

You said you're at 189 lbs, and you wish to lose 70. Well, I've got bad news for you.

Muscles weigh more than fat.

If you get into running, swimming, and strength, you will put on some muscles. Depending on the build of your body, 119 lbs can be a very unrealistic goal. If you're tall or have a large skeletal structure, it'll be even less realistic. I'm currently at 63 kg (138 lbs), and I do not expect to lose any weight because I have almost no body fat. By the time you reach 135 lbs, you should have enough muscle that going any lower will require some very bad habits.

Also of note is your metabolism. As you train, your metabolism will go up (because more muscles means more ATP, which means burning more sugar), and you'll have to eat more. If you don't eat enough, your metabolism will slow down and you'll just put on all the weight you've lost. I don't know your current metabolic rate, so I can't recommend a number of calories to eat. Generally speaking, I recommend eating when you're hungry, eating slowly, and avoiding MSG-heavy foods.

tl;dr: If you intend to build any kind of muscle, you probably shouldn't be aiming for anything lower than 130 lbs.

Note: I am not a qualified physician, and have little formal education in nutrition and biology. Consider my words, but make your own conclusions.

Norskefaen the Level 0 Changeling

"So why do people tend to include quotes for their character, anyway?"

I love the "I love everything apocalypse" point! Fantastic!

I'll second norskefaen (good point!), your body most likely isn't able to lose 70 pounds. It is very unlikely you will simply drop fat and have no muscle added to your frame. 

Friend, do not be discouraged! The goal "I want to lose X% body fat" or "I want to lose X lbs of fat" is possible. I see from your chart you have weighed near 70 lbs less than you do, but if you are exercising and eating well, chances are good you will put some muscle on. Not a bad thing, you will probably feel better about your body. Diet is 80% of the work. Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the weight room. You are counting calories very closely, that takes a LOT of discipline! :) As you go along, if you get hungry, EAT! But if you are adding more, be mindful of the qualities/nutrients of the food. 

Good luck!

Note: I apologize if this post isn't very effluent or encouraging, I just did about 3 hours of homework. You can do great, find what your "Why" is! 

Blackstroke, Reborn Assassin

Starting BW: 275 lb @ 5'11"
Long-term Goal: 200 lb (and body recomp)

I understand the weight loss goal concerns.  I suppose it is a little flippant of me to have a specific goal number, when in reality I would be happy at a variety of weights depending on how I looked.

For example,

Currently my lean body mass is 105 lbs.  Even at a sexy 16% body fat (I don't want to lose my fertility so I would never want to be under that), and not gaining any muscle, I would be 125 lbs.  Obviously I would be unbelievably happy with that, even though it isn't 'the 119 lbs goal'!

However, I feel that I need a specific goal number at the moment, so that I have something concrete to aim for and be motivated by.  119 lb was the last weight I was happy at, so that is my random goal number.  :nevreness:

Thank you for worrying about my health.  *hugs*  But I hope you are reassured that I am not quite as mental as I sound!

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Challenge 1 - Completed!

Progress to 70 lb weight loss.

21%
21%

189 lbs                                                                                                                                                                                                             119 lbs

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Eurgh... my little sister had an engagement party last night.  I had too much to drink and now I feel rough.  

I think I had 6 or 7 bottles of cider.  240 calories in each.  So about 1500 calories over my usual.   :upset:

Thank goodness it was between challenges!

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Great start to the challenge (after naughty weekend).  Cardio-agogo yesterday with a 72 minute 'The Walk' session and 1.5 hrs badminton bonanza!

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Yes.  And I love it!  I have all 3 seasons and the 5k app!

I am working my way, very slowly, through them!

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Mini Quest 2: Adventurers Against the Empire

Completed.

+1 STA

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Mini Quest 3: Honing The Force

Completed.

+1 WIS

NB. I am remarkably bad at meditating!

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Sorry for my absence.  My father-in-law got ill and died.  Thankfully The Man is coping well.

I am currently updating the support groups threads and catching up on missed posts.

I will put up a summation of the second challenge today, and hopefully start my third challenge thread too.

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support