• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wells101

Curl Bros took over rack. What to do instead of squats?

Just load up the bar and start squatting.  I don't care if they're using it.  I don't even care if they're in the middle of a set.  Pretend like they are incorporeal and just get in there.  If they start to protest do some kind of gutteral battle cry in cadence with your reps.  If you complete a set and they haven't left yet, grab their stuff and throw it across the gym, then start stomping around, beating your chest and flipping benches. 

• Like 7

Asking to alternate sets with them, or just asking how many sets they have left, is totally normal gym etiquette, so feel free to speak up.

If I'm in a super shy mood, I'll sometimes just go do my non-rack exercises first and hope the rack is free when I'm done. Bench, chin-ups, etc.

Just walk up to them, say: "hey, could you go somewhere else to curl? I need the squat rack to do, you know, squats. The weight you're using is not heavy enough to warrant the use of a rack."

Be polite but also be firm.

• Like 3

Ask them to get out the rack. Point out it's called a squat rack. If it was meant for curls it would be called "the rest of the gym" :D (I think the broscience dude said that, so damn funny).

• Like 3

As funny as some these comments are, don't be a dick.  NF prides it's culture on being polite to all people trying to improve their fitness, including curl bros, so we should carry that over to real life.  

Ask politely if you can work in, and if they say no, ask politely how many sets they have left.  

If it's a lot, then maybe ask if they could use the curl bar instead since you can't do squats without the rack.  If they still won't play nice, be the bigger man and go do some leg presses and hope they aren't there the next time you need to legs.  If they are and they are just all around jerks every time, talk with gym management / owners.  Most places won't tolerate crap like that.  

98% of people at gyms are nice once you start talking to them.  They might be a little crazy, but they are nice.   :)

• Like 3

Understand that they pay a membership to workout there too. Also understand that, while many look down on people curling there, it isn't called a SQUAT rack. Squat rack may be the colloquial term, but it's just a power rack. Just be polite and ask them if they are going to curl there consistently because you need to squat. They will more than likely wrap up quicker and not curl there the next time.

I've done other things in the power rack, ran through an entire workout before. If someone came anywhere near it, I always ask if they need it. I get pissed off looks and they often walk away. Point is, if you don't speak up, it's your problem, not theirs.

Understand that they pay a membership to workout there too. Also understand that, while many look down on people curling there, it isn't called a SQUAT rack. Squat rack may be the colloquial term, but it's just a power rack. Just be polite and ask them if they are going to curl there consistently because you need to squat. They will more than likely wrap up quicker and not curl there the next time.

I've done other things in the power rack, ran through an entire workout before. If someone came anywhere near it, I always ask if they need it. I get pissed off looks and they often walk away. Point is, if you don't speak up, it's your problem, not theirs.

Agreed. I feel pretty shitty doing my squats, military press and then deadlifts on the power rack, but I'd always give it up for the last two if someone wants to use it.

• Like 1

um. mmmmmm eeehhhhhh I view it as the person who is interested's responsibility to speak up. not mine mostly. 

I don't think I need to offer my rack to someone if I'm using it for what it's designed for or the gym is excessively empty and I have been hogging it.

If I'm doing BB rows or OHP there- and they are giving me the strong side eye and standing close by- I will speak up- but it's not my job to speak up or guess for someone else. 

I understand being polite- but I'm not a mind reader- and I"m not going to GUESS if you need the rack.  They need to learn to ask up.

I've given up the rack to someone who wanted to squat b/c I was just DL- I can do that almost anywhere- I gladly gave it up when he wandered over and looked about a little amiss- but if someone is really not direct about it- I'm not guessing. 

I guess take away is learn to read gym body language and know when you should be attentive to the fact you COULD be doing your stuff somewhere else- but it hasn't been an issue so you don't so if the need comes to move- you can.  But you can't be the one to volunteer your stuff up every time someone looks like they might want to use it- you pay dues to- that's the area where that stuff happens.

Gym body language and etiquette- the go both ways. 

• Like 1

I'll admit, I use the power rack for my BB rows and OHP.

Me too.  It's a legitimate use of a rack.  BB rows especially.  

In my gym, I OHP in the rack b/c there is no other place to dump the weight safely.  My gym is jam packed into a small space.  We have two power racks in one room, a squat rack in one room, and a squat rack upstairs next to the yoga room. I learned to not really use the rack upstairs b/c the yoga people drive me nuts waiting for class and then they expect complete silence during class (it's a yoga class in a gym and right outside the room are 6 treadmills, benches, and full DB room.... um duh). 

The squat rack in the other room doesn't have enough room to safely toss weight without hitting someone.  Bad call.  

I cannot squat outside of the power rack for the same reason - there are literally about 3' between the rack and the next piece of equipment.  If I bail, the weight will bounce off stuff.  So I use the safety bars and OHP in the rack.  Nobody has ever complained. 

I also DL in the rack for the same reasons.  Nobody's complained.  At my gym it's not really a big issue.

I've also found 99% of the people at my gym to be really nice about asking or waiting or whatever.  Nice works.

I think that etiquitte going both ways is a good stance to have.

Also, I have to use a power rack for OHP right now too because i'm quite concerned about falling over again, much less destroying another mirror.  My paycheck can't handle that again!

I don't even do curls, and the term curlbro is starting to annoy the hell out of me. How about instead of saying curlbro, you say "Guy I think I'm better than,"  the honesty would be refreshing, like a cool mountain breeze.

I've yet to see one story where someone asked to use a rack or cage for squats when someone else was doing something that didn't need it and it turned into a huge thing, but these threads show up all the time.

Maybe we should have a sticky just for:

If you want to use a piece of equipment that someone else is already using here's a  guide.

1. Are they doing the same exercise or working from a similar rack position?

--IF so. Ask to work in.

2. If not, Does the exercise in question need to be done using the piece of equipment?

--If Yes, politely wait until they are done.

--If No, politely ask to use equipment for exercise that requires it.

• Like 5

Last time I squatted an empty bench bar while staring down the squat racks. It worked :D

This, start cleaning and pressing your warm up sets. Last time this happened I cleaned and pressed 135 and lowered it onto my back for my warmup sets. Dude doing the behind the back shoulder shrug wrist curls go the F outta the way.

I don't even do curls, and the term curlbro is starting to annoy the hell out of me. How about instead of saying curlbro, you say "Guy I think I'm better than,"  the honesty would be refreshing, like a cool mountain breeze.

Well said.

The term annoys me and I don't even go to gyms. (Then again, I am unabashedly training for physique purposes, so I identify with the group moreso than any other).

Plus as I understand the power rack is the one piece of equipment that has a good amount of clearance around its pullup bar (if it has one). When you see videos of people doing my sort of workout in a gym, it is almost always on a power rack. If BBer types get as much hate as they get for curling in it, what sort of hate would I get for hanging from it.

Plus as I understand the power rack is the one piece of equipment that has a good amount of clearance around its pullup bar (if it has one). When you see videos of people doing my sort of workout in a gym, it is almost always on a power rack. If BBer types get as much hate as they get for curling in it, what sort of hate would I get for hanging from it.

None, pullups are a forgivable use of the squat rack.

However, you guys make a good point. And usually it's just someone not knowing proper etiquette and politely asking them to move will 99% of the clear the problem. But, everyone loves a good internet bashing, so that's the way it goes sometimes.

I've yet to see one story where someone asked to use a rack or cage for squats when someone else was doing something that didn't need it and it turned into a huge thing, but these threads show up all the time.

If you want to use a piece of equipment that someone else is already using here's a  guide.

--IF so. Ask to work in.

2. If not, Does the exercise in question need to be done using the piece of equipment?

This is good too.  I didn't mean to offend anyone, but these were the sides-cut-off-the-shirt-and-shouting-bro types that had awful form and looked like they were going to shit themselves all the time.  This is where the curlbro thing came from; they were kind of being dicks.  You are not a curlbro, since you're not a dick.

--IF so. Ask to work in.

I <3 u so much right now.

There is nothing wrong with curls.  They serve a purpose.

And yes I've done them twice this week.  Eff you people who think you are better than me because I do curls.  I'll tell you what:  when you train with the people I just trained with and they talk to you about curls.... you curl.  Big hint:  you are not better than the people curling.  Maybe they know something.

and as for working in?  ^^^^^ that was so well put.

I needed a power rack - it's our only place to squat with safety bars.  The dude in the rack said "you can work in" - I was sitting silently just waiting.  Not glaring, not pacing, just hanging out waiting.  I said "oh, I'm doing a lot of heavy sets so you won't want to wait while I change plates".  I wasn't an ass, I wasn't bragging - he was repping my warm up weight.  Cool.  I said "I"m fine waiting.  don't rush.  really"  we parted on great terms.  Nice matters. 

This, start cleaning and pressing your warm up sets. Last time this happened I cleaned and pressed 135 and lowered it onto my back for my warmup sets. Dude doing the behind the back shoulder shrug wrist curls go the F outta the way.

I do behind the back shrugs with the barbell.  The barbell is properly and safely racked in the power rack.  Acceptable use of barbell.

Well said.

The term annoys me and I don't even go to gyms. (Then again, I am unabashedly training for physique purposes, so I identify with the group moreso than any other).

This is also true of our one power rack (not the 2nd one).  I do not mind when people do pullups there.  Legit.  I've never seen anyone offended honestly by rows or deads or pullups in the power rack.  I've even seen people bench in there.  All legit.

None, pullups are a forgivable use of the squat rack.

However, you guys make a good point. And usually it's just someone not knowing proper etiquette and politely asking them to move will 99% of the clear the problem. But, everyone loves a good internet bashing, so that's the way it goes sometimes.

It's about being nice.  Ask during rest "I'm going to wait for a rack.  In the mean time, I'll warm up - do you have a lot of sets or a few?  Just want to be here when you are done".  People are cool. 

This is good too.  I didn't mean to offend anyone, but these were the sides-cut-off-the-shirt-and-shouting-bro types that had awful form and looked like they were going to shit themselves all the time.  This is where the curlbro thing came from; they were kind of being dicks.  You are not a curlbro, since you're not a dick.

(I had a less cranky post written but the stupid interwebs ate it so now I'm crankier and I haven't eaten lunch yet)

"the sides-cut-off-the-shirt-and-shouting-bro types that had awful form and looked like they were going to shit themselves all the time"

Let's see.... bro shirts?  Check - or worse - tank top.  Yup.  make noises sometimes when I lift?  Yup.  "awful form" says who?  I've done cheat curls if that's what you are talking about.  Programmed by someone who's forgotten more than you'll know about lifting.  Make really ugly faces when I lift?  Yeah that's called effort. 

That is me. 

Train with the people I trained with this week.  Listen to them talk about curls and assistance work in the gym. You might have a slightly more open perspective.

Julia Ladewski just wrote a whole blog piece about how judgemental she used to be in lifting.  Until she started doing programs with cheat lifts and partial movements and suddenly she realized she didn't need to judge everyone. 

Legit uses of the power rack = barbell lifts that require safety bars (for your safety or bc weight can't be dumped given location, crowd, etc), lifts that require barbells and that's where they are, pullups, rows if this is the only place to do them (including inverted rows), etc. 

I watched a guy in the rack the other day unrack like he's going to squat.  Nope.  Doing calf raises.  More power to him.  Power in the calves that is... you go gym guy!

I'll betcha he wasn't judging anybody else's training. 

I've found the "curlbros" to be some of the least judgemental people at the gym.

"awful form" says who?  I've done cheat curls if that's what you are talking about.  Programmed by someone who's forgotten more than you'll know about lifting.

Ha ha, awesome.

There are two sides to form, form for safety purposes and form for load purposes (most exercises get harder as form improves). However there is something to be said for "crap" form, as long as it is safe, that hits your muscles the "right" way. I really get the whole pump/feel contraction thing that advanced BBers talk about; its legit.

Most people would probably mock my pullup form for *some* of them that I do (really only using the top of the ROM), however I get a massive lat pump from doing them that way and I feel them exactly in the right place (to exaggerate the V shape and upper back thickness), which isn't the case for all pullups, at all.