• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wells101

Curl Bros took over rack. What to do instead of squats?

I don't like the term curlbro used as it has been, where you see some guys curling and they are suddenly curlbos. To me, a curlbro is the guy who comes in, loads oo much on the bar, screams as he knocks out 3 curls with bad form, then leaves acting like a badass and doesn't re-rack the weights.

To me, a curlbro is the guy who comes in, loads oo much on the bar, screams as he knocks out 3 curls with bad form, then leaves acting like a badass and doesn't re-rack the weights.

While I'm not the OP (and haven't really said much in this thread other than I use power racks for ohp/bb row), I would like to say:

On the occasion that I use the term, this is what I tend to be referring to.  However, with that being said I didn't think that it was a term that would offend those who do curls in general.  Heck, I add some curls in on days when my normal routine is finished and I still feel like I have gas in the tank.  That being said - I'll personally refrain from using it out of respect for the lifters who do incorporate curls into their routine.  I hope at no point in any other thread that my short sightedness on this phrase has caused any misunderstanding or offense and if it has, I take full responsibility for my lack of thought and consideration and offer an apology.

This is good too.  I didn't mean to offend anyone, but these were the sides-cut-off-the-shirt-and-shouting-bro types that had awful form and looked like they were going to shit themselves all the time.  This is where the curlbro thing came from; they were kind of being dicks.  You are not a curlbro, since you're not a dick.

Frankly, I'm of the school of thought that workout shirts shouldn't have sleeves or sides for that matter. If you're not getting a good look at my nipples, I'm doing it wrong.

And the going to shit themselves thing is called intensity. Give it a shot sometime, it'll do wonders for your gainzzz.

I've always felt that, if you can curl a weight, you can pick it up from the ground. I exclusively use the squat rack for weights that I am incapable of moving from the ground to my shoulders. I also have trouble seeing how you would need to "dump" a bar while curling. For that matter, I can't imagine ever needing to dump a standing lift that isn't a squat, olympic lift, or jerk. Anything else should be able to go shoulder-waist-ground.

And for everyone jumping on the OP in defense of curling...pretty sure he wasn't belittling curling. Got some pretty defensive people here...

Bring the heat :P

I've always felt that, if you can curl a weight, you can pick it up from the ground. I exclusively use the squat rack for weights that I am incapable of moving from the ground to my shoulders. I also have trouble seeing how you would need to "dump" a bar while curling. For that matter, I can't imagine ever needing to dump a standing lift that isn't a squat, olympic lift, or jerk. Anything else should be able to go shoulder-waist-ground.

And for everyone jumping on the OP in defense of curling...pretty sure he wasn't belittling curling. Got some pretty defensive people here...

Bring the heat :tongue:

You've never lost an OHP? 

I don't like the term curlbro used as it has been, where you see some guys curling and they are suddenly curlbos. To me, a curlbro is the guy who comes in, loads oo much on the bar, screams as he knocks out 3 curls with bad form, then leaves acting like a badass and doesn't re-rack the weights.

YES!  my kind of dude!  LOL.  Let him scream.  Let him have fun. 

And not re-racking.... meh.  I call re-racking his weights my warm up to my warm up.  Then I can re-rack the weights in a manner that pleases me.  Problem solved.

Frankly, I'm of the school of thought that workout shirts shouldn't have sleeves or sides for that matter. If you're not getting a good look at my nipples, I'm doing it wrong.

And the going to shit themselves thing is called intensity. Give it a shot sometime, it'll do wonders for your gainzzz.

all the love to you my friend. 

I do not understand sleeves in the gym nor do I understand anything but shorts in the gym.  

Seriously when I see the terms "curlbro", "meathead", and the like on these boards it takes a lot of self control to not hit my lock or delete button. 

Thank you. 

I've finally had it with all the hate on nonsense.

What's wrong with curls?  What's wrong with assistance lifts? 

*looks at tonight's program* - Huh... I see I'm even using a cable machine tonight.  Mock away my friends - I will be using the cable machine in a tank top and shorts and with each rep I'll make noise and an ugly face (kinda like my shrug face). 

And then I'll think about the awesome coaches and athletes I just met and I'll be proud to curl alongside those meatheads.

all the love to you my friend. 

I do not understand sleeves in the gym nor do I understand anything but shorts in the gym.  

I actually wear sweats quite a bit to the gym. I have shorts underneath and usually lose them eventually but I def start in sweats. I also live in Minnesota and it's quite cold up here for about 5 months out of the year. Sweats helps my legs stay warm and loose, and saves my shins from the bar during DL. I'm not a tall sock guy. Although i really only started DLing hard last August, so maybe I'll have to see what I can do about changing that mantra.

Failed, yes. Dumped, no. A failed OHP goes back down to my shoulders.

I actually agree on this one.  Maybe it's just where my "sticking point" on OHP is, but I either get the press completed, or it doesn't go past my forehead.  Never felt like I'd have to bail out on one.  

Overhead Squat on the other hand is a different story.  

Either way, I think the point has been made.  

Curl bro = bad term.  

Overall take from thread:  Let's all just get along with at the gym.  Get to know people before judging them.  

EDIT:  Adding #1 more comment.

And not re-racking.... meh.  I call re-racking his weights my warm up to my warm up.  Then I can re-rack the weights in a manner that pleases me.  Problem solved.

Sorry, but couldn't disagree more. People not racking weights after using something is just simple disrespect for the rest of the people at the gym. Have some common decency and clean up after yourself.  This is the one behavior at a gym that I just can't stand.  Hence why I own this shirt and where it every chance I can.  

put-your-weights-back-z.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you. 

I've finally had it with all the hate on nonsense.

What's wrong with curls?  What's wrong with assistance lifts? 

*looks at tonight's program* - Huh... I see I'm even using a cable machine tonight.  Mock away my friends - I will be using the cable machine in a tank top and shorts and with each rep I'll make noise and an ugly face (kinda like my shrug face). 

And then I'll think about the awesome coaches and athletes I just met and I'll be proud to curl alongside those meatheads.

Maybe I'm just in a cranky mode or something, but also, I'm sorry, but this seems like we are just trying to gang up on the OP now.  

Ok, so the term 'curl bro' isn't a good term.  I think that point has been made (as I stated) in my last post.  

And maybe you do work with great coaches who curl.  For bicep growth, there isn't a better exercise.  I don't think anyone is arguing that.  

But one of two things is happening here.  Either, you are going to a great gym with great coaches where the price is more expensive then your standard "globo" gym, or your like me, and are going to the local Snap Fitness because that's what you can afford.  And at those places, you deal with people who aren't considerate of others.  One guy comes in once a week and lifts with gardening gloves on, hardly ever exerts himself, and talks on his cell phone way too loudly and doesn't pay attention if he's blocking machines while on said phone.  Oh, he also loves to curse and swear if people are using a machine that he wants to use, because his time can't be wasted waiting for people.  Another guy comes in, puts way too much damn weight on the incline press, moves the bar up and down about 1" 3 or 4 times for a couple sets, then does the same thing on about four other stations, then leaves all his weights at each station and walks out the front door.  

I'm sorry, but at local small gyms, you deal with people who aren't courteous.  Don't act like it doesn't happen because you are going to a nice gym where everyone probably knows what they are supposed to be doing because they are trained.

Maybe I'm assuming too much, and feel free to correct me, but let's not act like some people aren't a-holes.

I'll admit, I use the power rack for my BB rows and OHP.

why not- it's a legitimate use- no need to 'admit' it-both are valid uses.

I just know I'll move for those things to somewhere else if someone wants to do something that could be better done there- like squat.

Maybe I'm assuming too much, and feel free to correct me, but let's not act like some people aren't a-holes.

no- don't think it's a big assumption.  there are definitely rude people at the gym- the type of gym you go to will vary widely for sure on the amount of level of douchebaggery.

also curl bro =/= bodybuilder. two totally different groups of people.

and not re-racking your weights is douchebaggery.

it's not part of my warm up- I dont' want to move people's crap around- i'm not their maid. Also- how am I supposed to know if you are done- a bar with weight looks like someone is using it.  Take them off- everyone knows you are done.

having worked at a gym- you can spend hours moving weight's around.  I don't want to do it- and I don't want someone else having to do it for someone who is inconsiderate. 

I thought about training one day a week at a commercial gym just to see other people. The more I read about them, the more I want to just walk out into my own temple and let the rest of the world fade away.

I thought about training one day a week at a commercial gym just to see other people. The more I read about them, the more I want to just walk out into my own temple and let the rest of the world fade away.

Hence why a Squat Rack was just purchased to go in my basement.  With the membership fees gone, it'll pay for itself in 2 years.  Well worth the price IMO to save on my sanity.  

Nah- I love working out at the gym.  I have to admit I moved to a smaller gym after LA Fitness- and it's much more power/strength/BB oriented- much less shennanigans- it's a little boring sometimes actually. 

except the powerlifting stripper- he's awesome. 

Bc frankly given injustice world wide, I have better things that actually matter to spend energy being angry about. If I got angry about all the stuff in the gym and everywhere else, I'd spend a hell of a lot of time being angry over. ... what? What matters?

Or I could, just re rack the weight, be content in the now, and save anger for times it really matters.

I don't care what you wear to the gym, if you wear garden gloves, if you are texting, if you aren't lifting in a way I approve, or if you are lifting enough. I don't care that your ego is so big, I don't care that you feel superior. I don't care if it's your first day or if you use 2# db

Tonight, I had a bench. Was swapping out db and came back to some girl's stuff all over the floor all around the bench. Everywhere. Should I be pissed? Oh and she's doing something odd w little db. Am I so righteous that this deserves rage, anger, and judgement?

No. I gently move her stuff and tell her I don't want to accidentally step on her coat and no, she doesn't have to move it all. We some how managed without anger.

• Like 3

Hence why a Squat Rack was just purchased to go in my basement.  With the membership fees gone, it'll pay for itself in 2 years.  Well worth the price IMO to save on my sanity.  

This is how I view my lack of a gym membership now. FYI, if it were a CrossFit gym, that squat rack would pay for itself in about two months.

I can use this to justify all sorts of lavish home gym expenditures.

• Like 2

Cline you need to write a book on weight-room zen.

Yes!

Man, it's just not worth it to walk around angry all the time. What will I summon for that squat?

Also, FYI the plates and weights are all over the place at Westside. So there.

Yes!

Man, it's just not worth it to walk around angry all the time. What will I summon for that squat?

Also, FYI the plates and weights are all over the place at Westside. So there.

They're always racked neatly at EliteFTS (at least in the pictures), so there!

The term I always heard used was "work in" [as in "work out"]. 

If you are polite and ask them if you can share the space 99 times out of 100 you can both get your work done. Maybe make some new training partners too.

On the "curlbro vs. etc." haters gonna hate. I've met a few meatheads in my day but everybody can be useful in some way.