• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wells101

Curl Bros took over rack. What to do instead of squats?

I'd love to have my own set-up at home but I think even if I did, I'd probably still come into the gym a couple of times a week. It has become a really good social experience for me and there's something inspiring about some of the crazy things I see - like the strongman competitors doing 150kg seated presses out of the rack for reps, or a friend squatting 300kg for sets of 5. Being around like-minded individuals is great for your own lifting, plus I've gotten quite accustomed to training with a partner and it wouldn't feel quite the same on my own now!

If I had my own platform and squat rack at home, I'd probably just end up training 6 times a week instead of 4 :)

I'd love to have my own set-up at home but I think even if I did, I'd probably still come into the gym a couple of times a week. It has become a really good social experience for me and there's something inspiring about some of the crazy things I see - like the strongman competitors doing 150kg seated presses out of the rack for reps, or a friend squatting 300kg for sets of 5. Being around like-minded individuals is great for your own lifting, plus I've gotten quite accustomed to training with a partner and it wouldn't feel quite the same on my own now!

If I had my own platform and squat rack at home, I'd probably just end up training 6 times a week instead of 4 :)

I love the vibe at a gym. Man, I wish I had a training partner.

Seriously folks, c'mon.  Bullshit elitism is one of the reasons that many people here don't like the gym in the first place.

It might not be ideal, but there are worse crimes than curling in the squat rack.  If that's the injustice that has you the most upset on any given day, you're leading a blessed life.  Give thanks.  A great time to contemplate such a blessing is after you ask them how many sets they have left and set up near them to patiently wait.

*just stares as the thread explodes, backs away slowly*

So... I'm pretty sure i'm going to be clearer next time, lest I blow up nerd fitness again... Sorry.

Having been a few days since the original post, i dont' recall the exact situation 100%, so i'm going to ignore it and ask a more relevant question.

I know machines = kinda bad becuase of stabilizer muscles not being used as much, but there's two machines that look like sleds in my gym.  One has your feet below you and one above you at a 45 degree angle.  Are these acceptable alternatives to a barbell squat, or are there specific reasons to use them?

My issue with the overhead squat is that it is much more core and mobility intensive than leg intensive. You will dump the bar long before you can't stand up with it.

True, which is why it's occasionally :)

I like to do overhead squats the day after I squat heavy sometimes.

Now that it's Sunday and I'm on my 2nd beer, I'll explain a bit further my comments.  I wasn't try to say the guy was bad cause he lifted in gardening gloves or that he didn't work hard.  Most people at the gym I use are well over 50 and are simply there to do something.  No heavy sets, but doing something.  I respect that and get along great with most of those people. The bigger point I was trying to make is I don't appreciate people being rude to others.  The fact he curses at people and isn't willing to let people work in is what bothers me.  And maybe some have the self-control to just brush it off, but it pisses me off.  Same as someone who cuts me off in traffic.  I get pissed.  It's usually short lived and I don't act on it, but I'm not going to lie and say I don't get angry.  Also, while I'd love to sit here and say I don't judge people at the gym, I do.  I try not to, but I do.  In my head, I think "well that's a half-assed pullup" or "nice quarter squat stud".  It's something I'm working on trying not to do.  Honestly, it's something that NF has helped me to realize.  That A, you could work out better yourself (work on your own form first), B, the workout you like might not be for everyone, and C, help people if they ask, but don't try and force your workout on someone else.  It's lessons that can be applied to many things in life.  

Anyway, I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers.  Sorry if I offended anyone.  

^^^ thanks. And it's not just you. Or even really you.

As an aside....as someone nearing 50, I can assure you some of us lift pretty heavy sometimes.

None of us are perfect in every rep every time. S/he who judges and mocks is also being judged and mocked by the very people s/he judges.

I saw this a while ago and always meant to post it

http://julialadewski.com/2013/12/people-watching-program-bashing-im-better/

I do have my own platform and rack at home, and it doesn't come close to working out at the gym, for all the reasons you mentioned.  Then again, there's a pretty big difference between the energy/atmosphere at a weightlifting/powerlifting gym and your average globo-gym (which I definitely prefer my home setup to).

^^^ thanks. And it's not just you. Or even really you.

As an aside....as someone nearing 50, I can assure you some of us lift pretty heavy sometimes.

None of us are perfect in every rep every time. S/he who judges and mocks is also being judged and mocked by the very people s/he judges.

I saw this a while ago and always meant to post it

http://julialadewski.com/2013/12/people-watching-program-bashing-im-better/

Again, I never said that people over the age of 50 don't lift heavy.  I simply said people at my local Snap Fitness don't.  

People like Sy Perlis and Andreas Cahling, among others, are a hell of a lot more inspiring to me then reading about some 28 year old DL'ing 600+, etc.  I realize they are amazing people out there of all ages and I can only hope that when I'm 60, I'm still hitting the iron just as hard as I do today.  

Also, I like the article.  Thanks for the share.

Rooks, buy a good barbell, too. If you're in 4-plate land you'll bend a shitty package bar. I can't recommend the Texas Power Bar enough.

I'll get there eventually. For now, the gym budget is dry. I want to pick up a nice set of 45lb bumpers, a good set of collars, and an upgraded barbell as the next purchases, but that might be a few months out. I've done a few 375 pulls on my current barbell and it seems to have held up just fine. No bending yet.... but it was a used one that we got a deal on. So who knows how long it'll last.

> Feels quads

> hmmm

> Sure thing sport

Mine are still bigger than yours... Besides, the barbell squat trains a whole lot more than just the quads. It is as efficient a movement as you'll find. I can't pistol to save my life, so I can't comment about how effective it is, but I doubt it has carryover to other lifts the way the barbell squat does.

Rooks, check out Fringesport.com for bumpers. Their prices are better than everyone else, and their bumpers have very little bounce.

Mine are still bigger than yours... Besides, the barbell squat trains a whole lot more than just the quads. It is as efficient a movement as you'll find. I can't pistol to save my life, so I can't comment about how effective it is, but I doubt it has carryover to other lifts the way the barbell squat does.

Rooks, check out Fringesport.com for bumpers. Their prices are better than everyone else, and their bumpers have very little bounce.

Yeah I messaged petekeller about them, asked him some questions.  I'll probably go with him, unless I can find a used set for cheap again, although odds are low on that given what I've seen on Craigslist so far.  

Anyway, enough thread hi-jacking.  :)  

Mine are still bigger than yours...

LOLWUT? (unless yours have grown A LOT as of late, plus enough to make up for the significant difference in body fat, which plays a big role in leg size)

Strength is not defined by what we can lift, rather by the force we can exert. Measuring lifts is merely a proxy for that, but not always correct or applicable due to the principle of specificity.

You nancy boy assassins with your mobility and fancy words like "force" and "specificity." We meatheads define how strong we are by what we can lift. Take your science, and your quads, and go do some crazy plyo planche pistol pullups.

On a related note, why so many P's in the descriptors of bodyweight movements?

OP, I sincerely apologize for the rest of Nerdfitness for completely destroying the original intent of your thread.

TL;DR: Ask to work in, don't be judgemental, intensity is good, Waldo pistols like a boss

• Like 2

You nancy boy assassins with your mobility and fancy words like "force" and "specificity." We meatheads define how strong we are by what we can lift. Take your science, and your quads, and go do some crazy plyo planche pistol pullups.

On a related note, why so many P's in the descriptors of bodyweight movements?

OP, I sincerely apologize for the rest of Nerdfitness for completely destroying the original intent of your thread.

TL;DR: Ask to work in, don't be judgemental, intensity is good, Waldo pistols like a boss

Its all good. I'm just amazed this thread is still going.  I think i should start posting more vague and controversial things just to get good discussion like this.

Well, carefully do that.  I'm not exactly happy to be setting off bombs in warrior HQ.