Exploring my Quirkyself

So, here I am... not sure what to do next?  I guess I'll start by telling you a bit about me.  I'm 39, for real, turning 40 this year.  I teach half days to Grade 5 and 6 and love it.  I have 2 children who love to drive me crazy and keep me on my toes, they are 10 and 8.  I'm married to Quirky DM, that's how I find myself here (sorry, I am not as nerdy as he is though, so my posts will not be near as entertaining).  I think part of my problem is that I identify myself first as a mom, teacher and wife and that is why I gave myself the name Quirkyself, because I tend to take care of everyone else first and not focus on myself.  It's time I start thinking more about me.  

I have been overweight pretty much my whole life, trying diets from high school up until a few years ago, then I wised up and realized it was a life change that had to happen.  I've seen a nutritionist and trainer and learned a lot of things, but don't do so well at applying it consistently.  I didn't see big results, I felt better, but did not see weight loss. I think I lost focus, plus I injured my hip and knee and slowly I got off track.  Two years and 30 pounds later, I am in the worst shape of my life and to put it mildly, I am not feeling so great about it.  Over the past year I have tried to be inspired by my husband, but mostly I just feel proud of him and feel worse about myself because of how lazy and uninspired I do feel.

Okay, that's depressing.  I do want to snap out of it and I do need support, so here I am.  I will not catch all your D & D references, but really I know deep down I am a nerd, too.  I loved transformers and the Matrix, Harry Potter... I've played many of the board games like Ticket to Ride, Settlers, Carcasonne... I've even played some D& D, when I was desperately trying to make time with The Quirky DM, but that was not really my thing (I was a bad-ass Amazonian Warrior, in case you are wondering).  I'm more nerdy in that I like to stay home and watch movies, I'm not into big groups and drinking is not my thing at all - just not cool, right?  I like reading teen books like Hunger Games and am very excited for Divergent to come out, so I am still a nerd, just not in the way that my husband is.  

As for goals, I haven't decided yet.  Yes, I want to lose weight, but I just don't know how anymore. I want to be inspired and not feel lazy and I want to not feel tired all the freaking time. I want to be able to join my family in "adventures" and not feel like the weak link.  I want to get my anxiety under control and not be worried all the time....  I'll read some of the articles and set some SMART goals (I guess that makes me a nerd right there) and see what I come up with.  I think for Lent I was too ambitious and failed after Day 4.  The articles are already helping me realize I need to make smaller changes and build them into habits. 

Until the next 6 week challenge starts, I will keep helping The Quirky DM with his life goal of cleaning the basement and determine my own goals.

Thanks for listening!

• Like 2

Quirkyself OUT!

Current Challenge, Third Challenge, Second Challenge , First Challenge

Level 4 Hobbit Adventurer

strength: 5 | dexterity: 2 | stamina:5 | constitution: 5 | wisdom: 6 | charisma: 7

Pounds lost:

2%
2%

Hey! I think you sound like a great lady, no need to compare yourself to no hubby! (Pssst! I don't get the whole D&D or RPG stuff either, don't tell anyone) :D

Hope to see you around, and if you send me a link when you start your challenge I'll sub and help keep you motivated. ;)

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Spent some time online reading all sorts of info today.  Starting to narrow down my goals and what I think will help the most.  I do want to lose weight, but I think making that my goal will be a mistake.  When I don't get the result I am looking for, I get frustrated and lose consistency... so, I think my goal will be about changing a habit.  I am going to start with my morning routine - I figure if I start my day out strong it may help with the rest of my day.  I plan to get up earlier, drink lemon tea with cayenne in it to help boost my metabolism right away, eat a hardy breakfast with good proteins, get in to work earlier to feel productive and hope that allows me to get home earlier, so I can be more productive then.  If I am waking up earlier, I think I will have to get to bed earlier as well, so my hope is that by changing my morning habit many aspects of my life will benefit.  

What do you do to start your day?  Do you love it or is it work?  

Quirkyself OUT!

strength: 5 | dexterity: 2 | stamina:5 | constitution: 5 | wisdom: 6 | charisma: 7

Pounds lost:

2%
2%

Welcome to NF!  

No need to compare yourself to anyone else - you're an individual, and your goals and progress are unique to you alone.

As far as mornings go, I hate hate HATE them.  I have 8am classes, and have vowed never to take another 8am class - ever!  I usually have a smoothie on my way to school, some "refrigerator oatmeal" between my classes, and then I try to have something nice for lunch when I get home (not always successful, but I'm working on it!).  I'm giving up on sodas and trying to switch to teas and flavored waters.  School (or work) can be such a stressor, and people like me tend to reach for the quick fix, like a muffin or poptart and a cherry coke.  Gained ten pounds last semester that way!

You've come to the right place if you're looking for support - the people here at NF are awesome!  Poke around the place, you might get some great ideas!

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

I think you're absolutely right not to make weight loss your goal, that will happen anyway if you make the change to get healthier. It's a LOT easier said than done though... I've got to a point where I don't know my exact weight, and I don't care, and people around me are telling me ALL THE TIME right now that I'm looking great/lost more weight. So it must be true :)

I'm not a morning person, never was, but when I make the effort to get up early and do something (go for a swim/cycle/gym) it's amazing how much better I feel all day. Instead of crawling into work half asleep and then complaining about how tired I am all day, I skip in the door and have TONS of energy during the day.

I still have to fight the duvet every day though, it wants to keep me in bed ;)

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

I'm giving up on sodas and trying to switch to teas and flavored waters.  

I already commented on this once, but realized I was in on The Quirky DM account instead of mine, hence the "bad post" comment above, guess I will have to watch that...anyhow... I gave up pop a few years ago.  I started with a half and half mixture of juice and club soda or Perrier water.  Orange juice or cranberry are good and you can even order it in a restaurant, too.  I slowly changed the mixture to have less juice and can drink Perrier straight now and it feels like a nice, bubbly treat!  Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quirkyself OUT!

Pounds lost:

2%
2%

I still have to fight the duvet every day though, it wants to keep me in bed ;)

I know I will be fighting the duvet every day, too, funny how it doesn't seem to call me to bed early.  Thanks for the positive vibes.  

Quirkyself OUT!

Pounds lost:

2%
2%

I've played many of the board games like Ticket to Ride, Settlers, Carcasonne... I've even played some D& D, when I was desperately trying to make time with The Quirky DM, but that was not really my thing (I was a bad-ass Amazonian Warrior, in case you are wondering).  

Yay! Love Settlers and Carcassone … haven't played Ticket to Ride, but have played India/British/EuroRails, which I think is similar.

Welcome to the board. Sounds like you're doing well so far at sussing out your goals and how to get there. As for mornings, I personally like them, even though it's hard to get out of bed at first. Mornings are so peaceful though, and if you can get yourself up early(ish) and get a good solid start, it sets such a good tone for the rest of the day. I start with a workout three days a week; the rest of the time I start with a good breakfast and coffee and a little relaxation. 

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Hi Quirky!

So cool to see there is another dedicated mom here… maybe we can motivate each other to stick with our goals (once they're clearly defined). Concerning the fight with getting up: I recently got myself one of these wonderful "Sunrise Clocks" … it imitates a sunrise with increasing light, and if I want to, I can add natural sounds like birds singing. It is a much nicer way to wake up than being shot in the ears every morning by some annoying beep-beep-beep. :D

Getting up earlier to have time for a morning workout is one of my goals. But it sometimes seems my behind is made of iron and my mattress is a giant magnet. :rolleyes: Gotta become stronger than the damned magnet...

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Hi Quirky!

So cool to see there is another dedicated mom here… maybe we can motivate each other to stick with our goals (once they're clearly defined). Concerning the fight with getting up: I recently got myself one of these wonderful "Sunrise Clocks" … it imitates a sunrise with increasing light, and if I want to, I can add natural sounds like birds singing. It is a much nicer way to wake up than being shot in the ears every morning by some annoying beep-beep-beep. :D

Getting up earlier to have time for a morning workout is one of my goals. But it sometimes seems my behind is made of iron and my mattress is a giant magnet. :rolleyes: Gotta become stronger than the damned magnet...

I do find I put mom first all the time and teacher, too.  I leave little for myself (or my husband for that matter).  As the kids get older, I think it is getting easier, so I have to adjust to that now that I have more time.  I love the idea of a sunrise clock, but am not sure if it would help me get out of bed or just make me want to stay in bed (chirping birds and all might make me want to relax and stay in bed all day).

I signed up for the current challenge, even though I was late, so wrote up my goals on there - I think I linked it to my signature - check it out and give me some feedback.  I'll have to look you up and find your goals.  Good luck and thanks for posting.

Quirkyself OUT!

Pounds lost:

2%
2%

Just did the same thing. It is now or never!

If I would have to wait until April, I would probably NEVER get started. :D

And now I'll try to link my challenge to my sig...

By the way: them birds chirp so loud that you WILL want to get out of bed! If only to make them stop chirping… :D

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Yay! Love Settlers and Carcassone … haven't played Ticket to Ride, but have played India/British/EuroRails, which I think is similar.

Welcome to the board. Sounds like you're doing well so far at sussing out your goals and how to get there. As for mornings, I personally like them, even though it's hard to get out of bed at first. Mornings are so peaceful though, and if you can get yourself up early(ish) and get a good solid start, it sets such a good tone for the rest of the day. I start with a workout three days a week; the rest of the time I start with a good breakfast and coffee and a little relaxation. 

I'm not a huge gamer, but my husband is, so in order to spend time with him I play some of the games.  I'd prefer Outburst and Scattegories, truth be told, but do enjoy the other ones.  Last weekend we played Forbidden Island with the kids and it was a good one.  I'm finding I feel good when I wake up in the mornings, but can't say I like it yet. I keep telling myself to get through 21 days and then hopefully it will be a habit and I will be able to do it easier.  Let's just hope there is some truth to that.  I think you are right about how it sets the tone for the day, as I am less likely to cave to goodies when I have already sacrificed a nice sleep in.

What do you do for your workouts? And what do you do to relax in the morning? I don't think I have ever had time to do that except on a weekend - I've never been up early enough before :)  Thanks for the reply.

Quirkyself OUT!

Pounds lost:

2%
2%

Feeling bummed the last couple days... been sticking to my challenge goals, but knees and hip are acting up and not cooperating.  It's making me feel lazy and quite frankly depressed.  Going to still get up early tomorrow, but no exercise, just rest for the day and see if I can take relax day to clear my head and get back in the game somehow.

Quirkyself OUT!

Pounds lost:

2%
2%

Oooooh.... Sorry to hear that. I've got problems with injury/pain so I know where you're coming from on that score. It's really hard when your head is all "Yeah! Let's go, I'm soooo up for this!" And your body calls time and says "Nope, not happening."

You just gotta get you head around it. It's not being lazy, it's being sensible. Remember that if you push yourself when you're not capable of it, you'll just set yourself back. And that's not something you want to happen.

Try and think of something else you can work on that won't effect you, maybe you can practice a skill, or learn a new one. Just so that you don't feel like you're losing momentum :)